Microcaches....how small is too small?

Macro

I started this in another thread but felt it deserved its own...at what point does a microcache become impossible to find?

In my neck of the woods a 35mm Film Canister is no longer considered small...they are even smaller!

I know of at least one microcache that is approximately 1/4" X 1 1/2" X 1"...hidden in a wooded area among several fallen trees!

So..at what size will you stop searching?

1/2 pint container?

film canister?

an empty chapstick tube?

A matchbox?

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

I started this in another thread but felt it deserved its own...at what point does a microcache become impossible to find?

In my neck of the woods a 35mm Film Canister is no longer considered small...they are even smaller!

I know of at least one microcache that is approximately 1/4" X 1 1/2" X 1"...hidden in a wooded area among several fallen trees!

1/2 pint container?

film canister?

an empty chapstick tube?

A matchbox?

I friend of mine is preparing a cache made out of a drill bit tube. 1/4 inch tube about 4 inches long. He plans to hide it in out in the open sort of way.

As long as they tell me it's a micro and give me an idea of what size cache I'm looking for, I'll go for it.

george

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

Is Minute the one you're referring to? It doesn't state the size of the item one is looking for. As I stated in the earlier thread, I'll stop at film canisters . . . but from now on I'll save the tiny (1/4" x 1") cylindrical tubes the erasers for my Cross pencil come in, and make ultra-microcaches to place in areas having the worst GPS reception.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on March 10, 2002 at 01:04 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

As long as they tell me it's a micro and give me an idea of what size cache I'm looking for, I'll go for it.

As has been pointed out in many threads throughout the forums, the only information the cache owner is obligated to provide is some kind of coordinates.

So far the smallest thing I have considered is the Listerene "pocket-pak" container. I thought about a chapstick tube, but i would need some work to make it waterproof.

For caches this small, there would be no "goodies" and no physical log. Just some sort of code or id that the finder would provide to me to verify their find.

Greg

N 39°54.705'

W 77°33.137'

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

So far the smallest thing I have considered is the Listerene "pocket-pak" container

There is one of those out here. Not an easy find to say the least...it could be anywhere. Without a lot of clues I just cant imagine finding the thing.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

As has been pointed out in many threads throughout the forums, the only information the cache owner is obligated to provide is some kind of coordinates.

But it sure would be nice if they told you it was really small. Whether they do or not, the cache size should be accounted for in the difficulty rating. My Quad Cache is a micro, but only because anything larger would be noticed and taken within an hour of placing. I think cache owners should inform people if the container is unusually small. There is a difference between challenging your fellow cachers and setting them up.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

_As long as they tell me it's a micro and give me an idea of what size cache I'm looking for, I'll go for it._

Yeah, but I'll keep looking if I know it's a micro. Otherwise I'm likely to give up after about 30 minutes.

george

If it's too small you might as well make it a virtual cache. How can you take something and leave something if the only thing that will fit is a BB? Taken to the extreme (and I actually like this idea for virtual caches) you find a shiner(small item about the size of a washer for a bolt), stamped with a serial number. You find the cache when you can report the serial number to the owner. Then you can go small. Nothing to take, nothing to leave.

there was a lot of discussion a while back that a cache ought to have a logbook in it (not must, mind you) and I kind of agree with that, therefore even the smallest caches I try to get a log into. Not enought to write a novel of course, but you can put your name and the date. It's more about the logs than the trinkets I think.

King Pellinore

I saw an interesting twist on this today. Someone placed a "surprise"-type cache, and listed a description of the cache site and container, with detailed information in the "cheater" hints. It turned out that the surprise was that it was really a short, two-stage multicache, and the clues were for the main cache. The first stage was considerably smaller (but not too small . . . gotta try to fit the thread) than the cache described, and was hidden in a different manner than the main cache.

Even though the coordinates were pretty good, the two earliest seekers logged "Couldn't Find it." That'll teach 'em not to rely on the "cheater" hints!

Unfortunately, the cache owner has since modified the description and clues to make it easier.

living in the city, often times the only interesting places to hide caches are high traffic areas like universities for example.

i draw the line at the mini altoids tins. i like these. you stick a magnet to it and wallah! instant pain in the neck for a geocacher. we sometimes forget that what we are looking for may be underneath and not in plain sight from up above. check this cache to get the idea.. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8027

as far as contents?? i stick a wheres george dollar in it and post it as such on the cache description so people will know to bring a wheres george buck with them.

this could become lots of fun by placing a $10 in it and hiding it in a really tough spot. picture lots of people crawling around looking for a "?" in a public place! icon_wink.gif

living in the city, often times the only interesting places to hide caches are high traffic areas like universities for example.

i draw the line at the mini altoids tins. i like these. you stick a magnet to it and wallah! instant pain in the neck for a geocacher. we sometimes forget that what we are looking for may be underneath and not in plain sight from up above. check this cache to get the idea.. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8027

as far as contents?? i stick a wheres george dollar in it and post it as such on the cache description so people will know to bring a wheres george buck with them.

this could become lots of fun by placing a $10 in it and hiding it in a really tough spot. picture lots of people crawling around looking for a "?" in a public place! icon_wink.gif