Non - geocachers finding a cache!

Papa Bear 4

How often have you had non-geochers find your cache? I have had a person find one of mine, only to log a somewhat rood entry, and then later on it appears that they stopped by again and logged another entry? These were in the log book only! Should I move it? Not sure if they are waiting till something good is left or what?

I have seen logs in several caches that were made by muggles who found them by accident. All of those muggles who logged approved of the game. No telling how many accidental finders didn't bother to log the find.

Accidental finds seem to happen because the cache is in a well used area and not hidden from plain view very well.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

A non-cacher found my cache, Heron View, by accident while looking for a hiking stick.

It was interesting because he was afraid it was some kind of amunition since it was near an Army base, and so he took most of the contents out, including the log book. The next cacher found it plundered. So, I went out to retrieve it and lo, and behold, it was back in place with all the items returned. The man wrote a nice log entry of how he had gone through the stuff at home and figured out what it was. He also put some really cool commemortive coins and medallions from the local Naval Shipyard (and also some pocket knives...the nerve!).

I really need to retrieve the log book and type up his log entry in the online logbook.

J.O.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geocaching-HamptonRoadsVA/join

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

Happened twice. One of my caches was logged by a naturalist employed by the park where it was hidden. My guess is that he found about about geocaching and went to check out my placement. Apparently he approved.

The other was found by a geomuggle, who read the explanation inside the box and returned it to its hiding place.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I had a cache visited by non-cachers when they saw a local cacher running away from the site.

"Saw people running away from the area, thought they were hiding drugs. Your game sounds really neat. We didn't take anything but left a small key we had with us. Have fun."

Nice to see that.

"MMMMMM....you guys gotta try these geocacher thingys, they taste just like chicken!"- Gentle Ben

I've had two sperate caches of mine found one time each.

Surprised the heck out of me because they were on caches that cachers had a hard time finding. icon_smile.gif They left nice logs and I think one of them even traded which was really cool. May have gotten a convert out of that one.

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

It's happened a few times on my caches. One I walked into a park stuck the thing in the crook of a tree branch and let it stay for almost a year.

Muggles found it several times and signed the log book. When they do sign and even if it's rude that's ok. You still have a cache.

It's the dorks who find it and steal it so that you never see it again that concern me.

I had some non-cachers find one of my caches once and signed the logbook. What was amazing about that is that it was a cache with a 4 terrain. Also I once had a case in where a non-cacher walked on a trail that one of caches was on, and then when searching on information for the trail, turned up my cache page. He then went to cache, signed the log book, and then logged it on this website.

Some muggles do well, others don't.

Last week I visited a cache where the previous finder was a geo-muggle.

Very polite log entry, traded goodies, seemed enthusiastic, and did an "ok" job rehiding it.

on the other hand:

The FTF on the first cache that I placed was evidently a geo-muggle, or else a cacher who didn't sign his/her name or log the find on GC.COM. Took a gold coin (the FTF prize) plus other fairly pricey items. Left nothing. I was miffed.

Welcome to the world of leaving things out in the woods, I guess.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Papa Bear 4:

How often have you had non-geochers find your cache? I have had a person find one of mine, only to log a somewhat rood entry, and then later on it appears that they stopped by again and logged another entry? These were in the log book only! Should I move it? Not sure if they are waiting till something good is left or what?

If it's getting found repeatedly, yes, it should be moved. We've had caches here in Vermont that were getting found by local kids and disturbed frequently, and consequently had to be removed for six months until the kids gave up looking for them. We'll see if they start interfering with it again.

But in general, I think if you're concerned about accidental finders screwing with your cache, please put the standard stashnote.doc or some variation on it in your cache. I find a lot of caches that don't have anything in them to really say what they are, and thus, they look like dirty plastic containers with slightly damp logbooks and a bunch of Happy Meal toys, which doesn't exactly engender in your average muggle a sense of "I must respect this cache and leave it alone."

quote:
Originally posted by TheDenvernators:

I was at a cache in a nature preserve area in lansing mi, while checking the logbook, and standing 'down' in a deep hole where the cache was and read in the log "We found this cache while my son was looking for a place to poop in the woods". Made me look around REAL quick, and wonder. Okay, just where DID he find a place?

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif ROTFL!

Matthew 5:1-11

I found a cache that had been found by a muggle who was out "partying". He logged in that he didn't see what was so hard about the "game" since he had found it without looking or the use of a GPS. Over the next several days, he logged in a few more times, each time his writing got worse and worse, evidently as his state of consciousness got more and more "under the influence"! Eventually, he logged that he had run out of beer and other party materials and was going to go home. On the plus side, he didn't plunder the cache, and the log made for some interesting, albeit unusual, cache reading!icon_biggrin.gif

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!