Cache Containers

woodsters

My first cache container was an ammo box I've had for years. It was one of the smaller ones that holds 200 rnds of 7.62. The kind of can that you attach to the side of an M-60. Well a couple weeks ago I sa this Army-Navy store in a nearby town. This past saturday on our way to help some friends move into an apartment, I stopped by to see how much they were charging for the ammo cans. Let's just say I got stickershocked. The same size can I have for my cache, they wanted $5 (which was rusty and needed painting0 and $6 for a decent looking one. I can see now why people by them off the internet. While in there, I came across some of the decon containers. They were $2 a piece and still had the decon wipes in them, lol. They were in excellent condition. I might could go with getting some of those for the smaller caches. What has been the experience of people here with those kind of containers? They seemed to have a tight fit that will probably be watertight. I would assume that it would be considered a micro? Or not?

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

I like ammo cans. They are about $5 in perfect condition here.

I found a cache this weekend - Confederate Camp Haunt - that had a nifty plasic container that was a great little size a little less than half the size of a small ammo can. It kinda looked like something that was army surplus - I wish I knew what it was.

When I hear "micro" I think of film cannisters even though I haven't found one, yet.

But run of the mill cheap food containers are both too conspicuous and too flimsy in general.

www.cheaperthandirt.com sells a six pack of the .30 cal for $19 and the .50 cal for $3.99. Best price I've found on the internet, though I've heard of people finding them cheaper at flea markets and local hardware stores.

I've also seen pallet loads for sale on e-Bay. They come out to a little more than a buck a each, but who really needs 300 ammo boxes (or however many they have on a pallet)?

The decon boxes make for good containers in higher traffic areas, where it's hard to hide something as big as an ammo box. I use them for a lot of my caches. You'd be surprised how much one can hold. For a logbook, I cut a small, spiral bound notebook into 1/3's. I fill them with collectable coins, wheresgeorge dollars, GC.COM keychain compasses, and other small items. They aren't totally waterproof (if the o ring seal is missing, and I've yet to find one where it wasn't), so be sure to put your logbook,at least, in a small Ziploc.

I call them micros, just to let people know to bring small items to exchange. Like PS, I also sand, or scrape off the caution on the lid. It could scare off some people. And even though they are already a camo green, I'll sometimes put camo tape around one to conceal it better.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 15, 2003 at 01:02 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

My first cache container was an ammo box I've had for years. It was one of the smaller ones that holds 200 rnds of 7.62. The kind of can that you attach to the side of an M-60. Well a couple weeks ago I sa this Army-Navy store in a nearby town. This past saturday on our way to help some friends move into an apartment, I stopped by to see how much they were charging for the ammo cans. Let's just say I got stickershocked. The same size can I have for my cache, they wanted $5 (which was rusty and needed painting0 and $6 for a decent looking one. I can see now why people by them off the internet. While in there, I came across some of the decon containers. They were $2 a piece and still had the decon wipes in them, lol. They were in excellent condition. I might could go with getting some of those for the smaller caches. What has been the experience of people here with those kind of containers? They seemed to have a tight fit that will probably be watertight. I would assume that it would be considered a micro? Or not?

Make sure they still have the gaskets in the lids. You do need to remove the "scary words". The label around the outside will usually just peel off. You might need a little Goo-Gone to clean up any residue. But the scary words on the top are actually molded into the lid. I take a razor blade (in a window scraper) and simply slice off the letters. Then I lightly sand the whole thing and give it a flat camo paint job. The boxes are too shiny without it, IMO.

Of course, you'll need a pen short enough to fit inside. You can fix that here.

I classify them as "other" rather than micro-caches, because, to me, that implies something like a 35mm can. The decon kit several times that size. There has been a call for a "mini" container catagory to cover this type. But so far, nothing's been done about it. I always explain the container type on the cache page.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Thanks, if I remember correctly, these decon containers were black in color and looked brand new. The lids closed tightly on them. They had the little cord and carbiner thing on it to clip on. I might go and get some for the heck of it. Scrape the bottom of my coin jar and get all the quarters out and go by them..lol I placed a micro this afternoon. Waiting on it's approval. I have another idea for another micro that I'm going to be working on.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

I was recently sticker shocked as well, but I still find that the price for a metal weather proof box is still worth it.

First ammo can I purchased at a local Army/Navy Surplus was the 7.62 size and it was $5.99. The next size up was $7.99

At another surplus shop around the corner from this one, they sell for $10 each. A little pricey, yes, but so long as they don't get stolen they will be where you hide them for a long, long time!

As I was in line paying for my can, I overheard someone asking about ammo cans. I turn around and mention that we use them for Geocaching and as it turns out, it was Cynthia from DAN&CYN, another local caching team! What a treat!! Needless to say, she bought one too icon_smile.gif

Ammo cans may be cheaper online, but once the S/H is factored in, does the price not reflect what you could get them for at a local shop? After all, they are heavy steel boxes!!

Kar

We have a huge Army/Navy nearby. I get regular ammocans for 3.99 and .50's for 5.99. Decons are .99 ea. The only problem I've noticed with decons are they are tough to open when cold. I recently picked up a powder charge cannister for a howizter of some kind. The thing is huge. I also find many of my trade items there (patches, pins, p-38's, biners etc).

"Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!"