Buried Cache clarification

nope, not unless its on your property or you get approval not only to have a cache there but to bury it. Anything where you have to move soil to place the cache is considered burried.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

Sounds iffy. You should really get permission from the land owner before digging or spoiling the earth. The cache should be locatable by some loose dirt or by moving aside some brush covering, etc.

Burying a cache can make it extraordinarily difficult to find, but one of the main reasons for the 'no bury' rule is to respect the environment. Imagine if Geocachers had dug holes for the over 60,000 caches that now exist. Zero footprint is the goal of most caches.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

Hmmm, while I understand why you might want to bury, or partially bury a cache of some type, I really don't think it's a good idea. Early on in the evolution of Geocaching an individual actually did bury some caches, unfortunately one of them was in Yellowstone National Park I believe. This resulted in Geocaching being declared persona non grata in the NPS. A lot of time and trouble has been taken to try and relieve people of the impression that all caches are "buried treasure" rather than just "hidden". I'd find a better way to hide the cache. I don't even bury my beach caches, I use vegetation to hide them under, around, or behind.

Just a thought.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

I wonder if the "no-bury" rule could be disregarded for beach caches?

No bury is a guidline. You can bury a cache provided you can come up with a good reason.

Buried to the lid. Is approvable provided you have permission blah blah blah. There are a lot of variations that are exceptions to the rules that are approvable.

However when you know you have an excpetion going in, email your friendly neighborhood admin and ask before hand for their input. They can give you good advice.

quote:
I have an idea for a cache that would require the container to be buried but the cap would be above ground. All contents would be accessible without any digging whatsoever. Would this be an acceptable cache?

Surely there must be some already existing natural holes or depressions in the Lexington woods? Just use one of those. icon_wink.gif

Be sure that your cache description states that no digging is required too.

Explain the details to the approver with a note to remove that line before posting the cache on the website.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

I wonder if the "no-bury" rule could be disregarded for beach caches?

Even if it could, for practical purposes it would not be a good idea. Beaches tend to move around, the sand being re-arranged in a continuing swirl of wind and waves. The cache would either be exposed and washed out quickly, or have to be buried well above the high-tide line. Being above the high-tide line enough to not get washed out also means that the signs of digging would not be covered, unless you decide to rake the area. Either way, it is a pretty questionable hiding method, in my opinion.

Usually there are plenty of more traditional hiding places near beaches.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Eric K:

While it's sad but true as much as you would say no digging required someone would probably have their co-ordinates off and start digging up in the wrong place thinking that the cache became completely buried.

Since "no digging required" is assumed, I don't know why any cacher would ever resort to digging, unless the cache description said "requires digging, bring something to dig with". I've done a beach one where the description said buired under the sand. That's one of the few I've ever had to dig for (just used my hands).

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I think what they mean by no burying is that you can't use tools to open up the ground to place your cache. If you cover it with sand, or put it in an existing hole and cover it with duff, or leaves, that should be OK.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

We found one 'buried in sand' cache a few months ago. You did indeed need a spade to get at it -- it was buried well. But you weren't doing anything that countless little kids don't do on that beach with little plastic shovels every weekend. It was really a lot of fun. The problem, eventually, was that there was maintenance on the beach, and the concrete firepit that had been used as a landmark got moved!

quote:
Originally posted by Kite & Hawkeye:

We found one 'buried in sand' cache a few months ago. You did indeed need a spade to get at it -- it was buried well. But you weren't doing anything that countless little kids don't do on that beach with little plastic shovels every weekend. It was really a lot of fun. The problem, eventually, was that there was maintenance on the beach, and the concrete firepit that had been used as a landmark got moved!

I'll bet one of those metal detectory dudes (geocachers before GPS&gticon_wink.gif is going to think he hit the motherlode when his metal detector goes off.

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

Some of the most clever caches that I've seen have been sunk into the ground up to their cap.

I wish that I could link to them, but it would spoil it some some folks.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

Agreed. I've seen some excellent caches of this sort. Obviously, as others have said, you need to use common sense as to where and how to do so. But a successfully camouflaged cache often benefits from being set into the ground, and some simply won't work without that touch.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

Unless you've gotten permission from the land owner/manager - DON'T BURY IT!

Stuff it in a hollow log, hang it in a tree, cover it with bark, hide it under rocks, but PLEASE don't dig a hole!

We have enough trouble convincing park managers that geocaching doesn't harm the environment.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif