Where's George

Lyra

It seems that a number of cachers have experienced wheresgeorge.com. That's actually what originally drew me to the site was a tracking report that said that a bill I'd entered had been found in a Geocache. "What the heck's a "geocache" I thought, and did a search. Found this site. "Can't be many of those around here," I thought, having never heard of it before. Clicked on the map. I'm now hooked.

Any wheresgeorge stories?

Mine was started as a it's a small world thread, but I'm still interested to see what the interaction is between the two independent sites is.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

I started Geocaching before I discovered WG$. In fact my first encounter with a WG$ was one I found in a Geocache. It turns out that several prominent Geocachers in this area only trade WG$. One, who is a top ranked Geocacher, find wise, is also in the WG$ top 20 (how someone finds the time for all this is beyond me).

Anyway, I tend to take any WG$ I find in a cache because I think the point of WG$ is to get them into general circulation (and I get to buy breakfast).

They do come in handy for micro caches, or when you go on vacation and don't have room to pack other items to trade. Before I went on vacation this summer, I "Georged" about $75 worth of bills to use as cache items and also to place into circulation. I still remember the look on the bell boy's face when I gave him a single WG$ instead of a fiver and explained to him that a single WG$ was worth way more than a fiver (just kidding).

I also purchased a dozen WG$ stamps to leave in caches and they seem to be the trade item that goes first.

I have been a casual wheresgeorge player for two and a half years. Kept reading about geocaching, so I tried it and got hooked. Right after I started geocaching a couple of malcontents on the site were needling the owner of wheresgeorge to tag geocache bills. They objected to guys trading wheresgeorge bills in geocaches and hitting them, and it was decreed that geocaching is not natural circulation.

Having been a georger for a long time and a newby geocacher, I was quite disappointed at the turn of events. And the timing. I'm still somewhat miffed and usually do not mix wheresgeorge bills with geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by HJS:

I have been a casual wheresgeorge player for two and a half years. Kept reading about geocaching, so I tried it and got hooked. Right after I started geocaching a couple of malcontents on the site were needling the owner of wheresgeorge to tag geocache bills. They objected to guys trading wheresgeorge bills in geocaches and hitting them, and it was decreed that geocaching is not natural circulation.

Having been a georger for a long time and a newby geocacher, I was quite disappointed at the turn of events. And the timing. I'm still somewhat miffed and usually do not mix wheresgeorge bills with geocaching.

Hmmm...Maybe time to reconsider putting a WG$ in caches.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

It's a nice little sidegame to play along with Geocaching. I actually went out and got myself a stamp to make logging in bills easier.

While most of the bills I mark go into circulation the natural way, I do try to keep one with me when Geocaching. I'll either trade a bill for a bill if one is present, or just leave one outright, in addition to whatever I was going to trade anyway.

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

I found out about Georging before caching, and tried my hand at it several times. When I started caching, I ran into Georges, and played along for a little while. I don't have a stamp, so that makes it a little tedious to mark new Georges. Also, amongst everything else. While it's a fun game to play, it can get a bit time consuming.

----------

One banana, two banana, three banana, four.

Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more.

quote:

tag geocache bills. They objected to guys trading wheresgeorge bills in geocaches and hitting them, and it was decreed that geocaching is not natural circulation.

What I find hypocritical about that objection is the same thing happens in the bill collecting forum but they think that's okay. I sold some old dollar bills there and the payment I got was in george dollars, some of which already had multiple hits by other georgers.

I do see the point of some of the Georgers who were upset that Geocache bills were being counted.

You put a bill in a Geocache and that almost guarantees that it will be hit. Placing a WG$ in a Geocache isn't natural circulation, which is the point of the WG website.

That being said, I still place WG$ in caches for the reasons I stated in my earlier post here.

And if I find some WG$'s in a cache, I usually trade them out and release them into the wild.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:

Hmm.... Perhaps it should be considered an important courtesy that when you log a WG that you found in a cache, you be certain to mention that it was found in a cache, so people who want to filter thier stats can do so...but as for the idea of it not being natural, or not doing it...well, I'm pretty sure I can do what I want with any dollar I have, and if georgers object to how money is being passed in the world...tough noogies.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by Lyra:

Hmmm...Maybe time to reconsider putting a WG$ in caches.

The non-geocaching georgers are merely overreacting. I usually only trade Where's George bills at caches, and the most hits I have on any "geocaching" george is 4. I have several "natural circulation" georges with more hits than that, so it appears to me that geocaching isn't skewing the numbers too badly.

I have left a Where's George dollar at each of the six caches I have found so far, and received another one back at one location.

I spent the one I received elsewhere, rather than putting it back into a geocache.

I'm more interested in getting the georges out to all 50 states than having a lot of hits right around my home area.

(I currently have 430 bills entered, with 74 hits on 59 different bills, and I have hits in 13 states.)

I Georged before I geocached and actually only found out about geocaching through WG. Since I started over a year ago I've put a George in nearly every physical cache I've found - they make for cheap travel bugs. This is my favorite cached George. I've kept track of my Geocached Georges here. The most hits I've got on a geocached George is 4. In contrast, I've got 3 bills in natural circulation that have been hit 6 times. In my experience, most bills get a hit or two in caches and then are not heard of again. That said, the controversy at WG is that geocached bills were creeping into the Top Ten Bills List (one had I believe 12 hits) which upset the purists (who, as Stayfloopy noted, do not seem to mind bill-swapping between Georgers particularly the collectors). Hank, the Webmaster at WG responded by "tagging" bills that indicate in their user notes that they were cached at one time. Quite a task considering the number of Geo-Georgers so Hank only tags bills that accumulate a large number of hits. Though tagged, the bills are in the WG database. Hank even set up a seperate Top Ten Geocached Bills ranking.

At the rate I'm picking up Georges left by Stayfloopy and BassoonPilot, I'll be able to retire soon. icon_wink.gif

HJS: It's still OK to cache Georged bills so don't be dissuaded by what goes on in the WG Forums

I Georged before I geocached and actually only found out about geocaching through WG. Since I started over a year ago I've put a George in nearly every physical cache I've found - they make for cheap travel bugs. This is my favorite cached George. I've kept track of my Geocached Georges here. The most hits I've got on a geocached George is 4. In contrast, I've got 3 bills in natural circulation that have been hit 6 times. In my experience, most bills get a hit or two in caches and then are not heard of again. That said, the controversy at WG is that geocached bills were creeping into the Top Ten Bills List (one had I believe 12 hits) which upset the purists (who, as Stayfloopy noted, do not seem to mind bill-swapping between Georgers particularly the collectors). Hank, the Webmaster at WG responded by "tagging" bills that indicate in their user notes that they were cached at one time. Quite a task considering the number of Geo-Georgers so Hank only tags bills that accumulate a large number of hits. Though tagged, the bills are in the WG database. Hank even set up a seperate Top Ten Geocached Bills ranking.

At the rate I'm picking up Georges left by Stayfloopy and BassoonPilot, I'll be able to retire soon. icon_wink.gif

HJS: It's still OK to cache Georged bills so don't be dissuaded by what goes on in the WG Forums

I learned about Geocaching when I received a hit on one of my bills and checked out the other georger's profile. [obscure reference] And that, as they say, is that. [/obscure reference]

----------------------------------------------------------

Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore,

You will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea.

Geoman007, a bill becomes a "Where's George" bill when it is entered into the database on the WG site. You can track any bill you like, including Canadian currency at Where's Willy. The thing I like about Where's George is that you can record where you've spent the bill (or which geocache you left it in), and see which spending locations give you the most interesting hits.

----------------------------------------------------------

Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore,

You will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea.

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

I registered 1/2 dozen bills bout six months ago but none of them have ever been logged.

So I'm not ever going to play again. I'm gonna take George to dinner...and leave him!

It takes a while for the bills to get hit. Try entering a few hundred more. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

I registered 1/2 dozen bills bout six months ago but none of them have ever been logged.

So I'm not ever going to play again. I'm gonna take George to dinner...and leave him!

It takes a while for the bills to get hit. Try entering a few hundred more. icon_biggrin.gif