Help - Name our travel bug.....

Howdy. Family is putting together a very challenging cache, and we also want to put a travel bug in it. We chose a special coin, it is a commerative coin from Sept 11 2001. The photo is pretty clear. Its goal will be to visit the 3 crash sites, PA, DC, and NYC. If it can, it might bring back a post card from each area. We would be pleased to pay for the post cards.

But we have not come up with a name. Suggestions welcome. Would like to post it by next Saturday, 24 Nov 2002.

Thanks Y-all.

TravelBug2.jpg

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Yes, I like the idea of using the words on the bug itself. Makes it easy to remember the name of it if its on there. Other than that I like "America the Proud"

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

That would be a good name "Lets Roll", let the Spirit Roll Across the Nation "Travel Bug" Glad to see the spirit still rising from my home town. "The Riverside Cowboy" Since I have you on the line here I found a bench mark on Rim Road several years ago at a memorial around the Flag pole up there.I have searched through this site and the Topozone maps but can not locate from here. It is the Monument that Starts the Southernmost tip of the Rocky Mountians.Might be a good one to find it is in a memorial at the back,North side.

When all else fails Geotry again.

[This message was edited by Trailblazer # 1 on November 16, 2002 at 08:26 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

The "Visiting the Scenes of Violent Bloody Death" bug.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

You don't approve? Explain please. Is there something un-patriotic about wanting to remember the worst thing to happen to America since Dec 7 1941? I have a lot of thoughts in my mind, but I will wait for your reply.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

The coin is obviously a memorial in itself. I think sending it out into the world is a much better use of it than hiding it in your sock drawer.

What I really like about this bug idea is that no matter where a person finds themselves they can help it along its way (whether a short or long part to the trip). I probably won't be getting to NY, DC or PA for a while but if the bug found its way to Central Illinois I could certainly point it in the right direction. And the beauty of that is that any of us could say that.

Some memorials seem a bit contrived to me. This one seems to fit the memory of the events of 9/11 and also the goals of geocachers.

My 2/100ths of a buck anyway.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Unfortunately, as was seen this past Sept. 11th, how to commemorate Sept. 11th, 2001 is one of the more divisive topics around.

Tolerance seems to get tossed out the window as complaints of "too sappy" "too trivial" "too war-mongering" "too passive" "too whatever" get made at whatever idea anyone of us comes up with.

If it's not your ideal of what to do, ignore it. No one is forcing anyone to participate in this. Personally, I think it is a good way for the Geo-Caching community to contribute to the memory of that day in a way that is uniquely ours. Nice job, Mike.

- Sue

(Of the listed suggestions, I like the Never Forget title)

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

You don't approve? Explain please. Is there something un-patriotic about wanting to remember the worst thing to happen to America since Dec 7 1941? I have a lot of thoughts in my mind, but I will wait for your reply.

In a thread back a few months, I latched on to a little bumper sticker image that someone posted. It said something like "Bandwagon Patriot! Since 9/11/01!"

Before September, you'd be hard pressed to run into a handful of people with flag decals or pins or whatever... but suddenly after 9/11 - you can't spit without hitting someone that is proudly proclaiming how patriotic they are, and sometimes even how you suck if you DON'T show your patriotism somehow.

I'm not saying you are one of those folks. I don't know you at all. I do know that I'm incredibly tired of hearing about it. That is just the reaction I have when people bring it up into conversation... I can't help it, and I don't necessarily mean anything negative by it.

I'm not sure how your bug "helps you to remember" any better than if you didn't have a bug that wanted to tour the site where all those people died. It just seems like a morbid thing to me.

"Here, take this item... take it to where there were thousands of violent deaths at the hands of terrorists. Not just one site... all of them. Okay, thanks."

icon_confused.gif Sorry, I just don't see the appeal.

The NEW Toe Pages

So it displays the September 11th stuff and it's suppose to be patriotic, that's good! Even though most "patriotic" people only became patriotic becuz of the attacks, at least it shows we can stick together when a crisis in our country happens. What a great idea for a travel bug! icon_biggrin.gif

Going back on topic I like the Spirit of September 11th, or "Remembering". icon_cool.gif

Fathers and Sisters I have none but this man's father is none other than me, Tony De Angelo. I know, it doesn't make any sense!

quote:

quote:

You don't approve? Explain please.

In a thread back a few months, I latched on to a little bumper sticker image that someone posted. It said something like "Bandwagon Patriot! Since 9/11/01!"

Before September, you'd be hard pressed to run into a handful of people with flag decals or pins or whatever... but suddenly after 9/11 - you can't spit without hitting someone that is proudly proclaiming how patriotic they are, and sometimes even how you suck if you DON'T show your patriotism somehow. icon_confused.gif Sorry, I just don't see the appeal.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

Yep, I remember that thread. And I got your number now.

Lets see. Lets start with 20+ years of ACTIVE SERVICE in the U.S. Army. Late Viet Nam through Somalia and a bit beyond. Several tours overseas, combat veteran, shot at and shot back. Awarded MSM for combat operations against hostile forces. Honorably retired in 1995. Tried to return to active status in mid-September 2001. Request denighed. My DD-214 on request!

My son is a CAV SCOUT, on the "POINTY TIP" of the sword, so to speak. He may well complete the mission that the UN didn't let me complete. IRAQ. And who better, he has lived the life since he was born. He knows freedom isn't free.

My daughter is an officer in the ROTC. She may not serve, but even so, her sons will know what it is all about. They will be taught that freedom isn't free. Somebody somewhere pays for it, and usually with blood.

I believe I have earned the right to remember Sept 11th as I see fit. I have also earned you the right to print whatever you like, even if I don't like it. I don't have to answer to anyone but my comrads in the national cemetaries and my nightmares.

What happened on September 11th 2001 was every bit as grave to our nation as December 7th 1941. If you cannot see that, I won't waste any more type on you.

So now, I ask YOU. What have you done for your country in this life? Perhaps your bumper sticker is where it belongs, with you. Yep, I wondered about you in that last thread. Bandwagon Patriot my @$$. Got your number now.

Sorry folks, I may be older, and supposedly wiser, but sometimes I just have to sing the battle songs and head for the front. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will post here what we decide to name it. Most of you have been most helpful with something that I have deep feelings for.

NEVER FORGET! Thanks.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:

Yep, I remember that thread. And I got your number now.

I believe I have earned the right to remember Sept 11th as I see fit. I have also earned you the right to print whatever you like, even if I don't like it. I don't have to answer to anyone but my comrads in the national cemetaries and my nightmares.

So now, I ask YOU. What have you done for your country in this life? Perhaps your bumper sticker is where it belongs, with you. Yep, I wondered about you in that last thread. Bandwagon Patriot my @$$. Got your number now.

Settle down, Beavis... you asked for people to suggest names for your travel bug, which I did. Then you asked why I came up with the name that I did, so I told you. I even said in my post that I wasn't calling you a bandwagon patriot, because I don't know you. icon_rolleyes.gif

I never said what happened on 9/11 wasn't horrible, and I never said that you shouldn't be allowed to do your bug. I simply responded to two questions that you asked. Perhaps you shouldn't be asking for opinions if you are gonna get all upset when someone says something you don't like.

The NEW Toe Pages

quote:

quote:

Settle down, Beavis...

Beavis... hmmmmm... does that make you Butthead?

quote:
you asked for people to suggest names for your travel bug, which I did. Then you asked why I came up with the name that I did, so I told you.

I simply responded to two questions that you asked. Perhaps you shouldn't be asking for opinions if you are gonna get all upset when someone says something you don't like.

You are correct. However I cannot help but believe your answers were not sincere, and were deliberately sarcastic. And it isn't the first time I have gotten that take from your answers. From a few other posts, I see I am not alone. So be it, you have that right. I thank you for your suggestion. It will receive all the consideration it is due.

I also noticed you deliberately avoided my final question, so I left it included above, just in case you missed it. Some of us took the oath, and believed it. Some of us believe it still. Duty, Honor, Country... do you believe?

BTW, anyone who feels the term Bandwagon Patriot might apply to you.... I welcome you. Better to wake up and see it now than to never see it at all. If you have the chance, thank a vet. Any vet. Any country. It applies everywhere. And we thank you for your support.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:

You are correct. However I cannot help but believe your answers were not sincere, and were deliberately sarcastic. And it isn't the first time I have gotten that take from your answers.

I meant everything I said in my posts here. I don't like the bandwagon patriots, and I don't like people giving other people crap because they aren't spewing patriotism since 9/11/01. That was the reason for my answer to your original question - I'm tired of the topic in general. Yeah, I'm all anti-terrorist and pro-America and whatever - but that is my business. I don't need other people assuming things based on my display (or lack thereof) of outward patriotism.

quote:
I also noticed you deliberately avoided my final question, so I left it included above, just in case you missed it. Some of us took the oath, and believed it. Some of us believe it still.

I didn't answer it because I was trying to stick to your original topic - but no, I haven't served in any branch of the armed services... like you, I've got many family members that have served - but I'm not sure why that is relevant to the discussion here. I went to both the Memorial Day and Veteran's Day parades this year, and for a while the counter on my webcam page was red white and blue. Do I get points for that? (yes, that was sarcasm) What exactly do I have to do, as someone that has never been in the miliary, in order to not catch crap about that fact?

I haven't been in the military, but that doesn't make me any more or less of an a****** than someone that has. The things that I do, that I think make a difference, are things I just do every day. I'm considerate to people I meet, I'm kind to animals, and I'm generally just not a dick to people.

Yeah, believe it or not - I'm one of the nicer people you'd probably meet. I save tiny cold wet kittens from car engines, I always greet and am friendly to people that work in restaurants, retail, etc. (You'd be surprised how many people treat customer service folks as if they aren't even people) Hell, the other day I was driving downtown and noticed someone left their keys in their trunk lock, and I actually stopped and knocked on the door of their house to let them know. So, yeah, I am doing my own part at keeping this country nice, or whatever you wanna call it.

Anyway, you asked - I answered... I'm done, because there isn't anything else that I can add to this. I offered the name, I gave my reasons. You don't agree with things I've said - so there isn't much more I can say. One thing I can say, is that you've helped reinforce my feelings that patriotic folks will often try to throw that in the face of those of us who haven't served, or who don't wear our flag on our sleeve. Thanks.

geobanana.gif

The NEW Toe Pages

[This message was edited by Rubbertoe on November 22, 2002 at 04:23 PM.]

quote:

If you have the chance, thank a vet. Any vet. Any country. It applies everywhere. And we thank you for your support.

Thank you, Vietnamese vets. Thanks Somalian vets. Thank you German vets. You too Russian vets. And you, Afghan vets. Yeah, and you too, Alamo vets. And our Finnish vets. US vets too. And Japanese vets. Iraqi vets. Not forgetting you, Roman, Spartan and Persian vets. And the vets from Athens. Thank you vets. Thank you for defeding your country from the evil enemy. Without you I wouldn't be able to write this message here right now. Thanks!

quote:

Hmm...I want a gun too! I'd like to have even more liberty and freedom.

Name suggestion for the travel bug: Why not call it just simply "9/11". It's all about the sad day, but doesn't focus on the location of the attacks.

Thanks Y-all for the help. Got 9 suggestions in total, and the family finally decided on:

NEVER AGAIN! - Lets Roll.

If you care to, you can see it now at the latest cache we posted. I fear the Travel Bug will be there for a while, the cache is rated 3/4.5. If you want to see it, go here The Lost Aztec Treasure.

Again, thanks to all the folks who suggested reasonable and sincere names. You guys are great!

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.