Moving Caches Okay?

supermoe

One of the first caches I put in was moved by someone and was not logged that it was done. The cache is under a foot bridge over a creek and whoever moved it from one end to the other. Now the seekers coordinates are off (not by much but off). I put a lot of time and thought into my cache to have a finder move it within the first couple of finds and then not have the courtesy to tell me.

I have also noticed that a few of the caches I have been to lately have logs that say things like "I moved it a further back into the bushes/woods/foliage to make it harder to find".

Why am I going through the trouble of making sure my coordinates are right on only to have some one move the cache or move one to make it harder on me to find?

is this a common problem cache owners?

Thanks,

supermoe

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime." -Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.

There's a recent thread about this but I'm too sleepy to do the research and Markwell it. Yeah, that seems to happen quite a bit. Even if you put in bright red neon glowing letters on your cache page to NOT MOVE THE CACHE, some busybody is still going to.

The best thing you can do is go out and move it back to its correct place and put a note in the log book to please not move it to a different location. It wont help but at least it's worth a try. icon_wink.gif

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

Thanks, I am headed out there in the morning to put it back in the original spot. I'll put the note in it. Thanks for your help!

Supermoe

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime." -Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.

One of the first caches we ever did we moved a bit. However, it was found sitting out in the open, actually in deep center field of a softball field. The cache page even said it was in the woods. So...we moved it into the woods about where we thought our GPS was saying it should be...then e-mailed the owner about it. Even though it was one of our first and we were newbies then....I think I'd probably do the same today. It was obviously not where it was supposed to be....left out in the open like that. But for the most part, the situation you describe is different and should not happen. I think sometimes it happens when people get so excited about finding the cache,, that they forget just where it was.....and then they think they are putting it back exactly as they found it.....so, you'll probably never get anyone to realize what they did, unless you see them do it.... Hopefully, as they get more experienced, they will be more careful. We were very fortunate to have participated in a Geo-caching social early on and did several caches with various teams. It taught us a lot about ethics and technique. Maybe, we should require a license to be cachers?......lol (Oh no, another rule!!!)

If God is your co-pilot, it's time to change seats!!!

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

quote:
Originally posted by supermoe:

One of the first caches I put in was moved by someone and was not logged that it was done. The cache is under a foot bridge over a creek and whoever moved it from one end to the other. Now the seekers coordinates are off (not by much but off). I put a lot of time and thought into my cache to have a finder move it within the first couple of finds and then not have the courtesy to tell me.

I have also noticed that a few of the caches I have been to lately have logs that say things like "I moved it a further back into the bushes/woods/foliage to make it harder to find".

Why am I going through the trouble of making sure my coordinates are right on only to have some one move the cache or move one to make it harder on me to find?

is this a common problem cache owners?

None of mine have needed to be moved, thankfully, but I did recently move two myself. The first, according the the hints, was supposed to be under a footbridge. I found it floating in the creek downstream of the bridge. It must have slid down from it's original hiding place. I had no way of knowing which side it had been placed on, so I just picked a side. With the standard errors in consumer GPS, there was no way to tell, nor would 15ft matter to the next finder anyway. I did email the hider when I got home, and explained the situation, and where I left it.

The second cache I found floating at the edge of a lake. The clues and coords put it in the hollow base of a tree 20ft away. When the cache was hid, we were in the midst of the worst drought in 50yrs or more. What was probably high and dry when placed, was now actually in the lake. Every log for the last few months had mentioned the cache had floated out of it's hiding spot. Every previous finder put it back where it belonged. Every time the next finder found it had floated out of its hiding spot again. It was only a matter of time before the cache floated away from the area, and the hider had made no attempts to fix the situation. Rather then allow the cache to be lost because it floated away again after I left, I moved it 10ft up from the edge of the lake, and noted as such in my logs. As far as I'm concerned, it was either that or take the cache with me and ask that the cache be archived.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

MOVING CACHES IS NOT OKAY. Write a private email to the person that did that and politely clue them in to the effort it took to place a cache and their duty in finding it to replace it exactly as found.

Refer them to: Things Not to Do with Caches and rule number 12 for the finder:

quote:
Move the cache, and then post the new location on the cache site. What was the cache placer thinking, putting it there? Your new spot is much better.

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

MOVING CACHES IS NOT OKAY. Write a private email to the person that did that and politely clue them in to the effort it took to place a cache and their duty in finding it to replace it exactly as found.

Refer them to: http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon/nottodo.html and rule number 12 for the finder:

quote:
Move the cache, and then post the new location on the cache site. What was the cache placer thinking, putting it there? Your new spot is much better.

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

Whoops, my bad, you are correct. Even though both caches I moved had OBVIOUSLY been relocated from the spots the cache hiders had placed them by the forces of nature, and even though OBVIOUSLY both caches were now in danger of being plundered or lost in the location nature had moved them to, you should NEVER, EVER relocate a cache. Always hide it EXACTLY as found, even if the way you found it was not the way the hider placed it. Cache hiders as supposed to maintain their caches, why should I help? I can also ditch the spare ziplocks, logboogs, stash notes and even spare containers that I usually carry with me too. Thanks for pointing out the rules.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

On my first maintenance visit to my first cache I found the container sitting on the ground out in the open two feet away from the hiding place. The material that had been covering the cache had been neatly replaced in the hiding place. The last visitors were people who don't log online.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

MOVING CACHES IS NOT OKAY.

What about taking it home with you? I had a cache find today that was about the size of a margarin tub (clear container) that was sitting in the crux of a tree completely out in the open and visible from 100 feet away to me as I pulled into the parking lot. There literally is no way to hide this size cache anywhere within 500 feet, probably not anywhere in the park.

I wish I had my camera to show just how exposed this was. I took it home and told the owner I'd give it back to him at his convenience. Incidently the hider has yet to find a single geocache, and has hidden one other which was in a questionable location security wise and had really bad coordinates. This person unfortunately was not skilled in hiding since they had yet to find. I figure I'm doing him a favor and hope it was taken as contrsuctive criticism.

So I disagree with the NEVER part of the statement. Generally speaking it's not cool, but never say never, IMHO

william

alt.gif

By some of the logic/sarcasm I've read here, hiding it BETTER in the SAME place is also a BANNED activity...or so it seems.

I've sometimes added rocks, because the container is in an area that it could be found by a muggle, or 'better' placed the rocks so they provided more cover. If I've ever moved a cache, it was one or two feet to one side or another, clearly not what would cause more difficulty for the next finder. Meh.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

By some of the logic/sarcasm I've read here, hiding it BETTER in the SAME place is also a BANNED activity...or so it seems.

I've sometimes added rocks, because the container is in an area that it could be found by a muggle, or 'better' placed the rocks so they provided more cover.

This is a tough call. I have hidden (covered) caches better than I found them if it looks like that's the way it was before. I make that judgement in part by what the hider posted on the cache page. Also, I check around the cache to see if there is anything there that looks like it might have been used to cover the cache.

The Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

quote:

I've sometimes added rocks, because the container is in an area that it could be found by a muggle, or 'better' placed the rocks so they provided more cover. If I've ever moved a cache, it was one or two feet to one side or another, clearly not what would cause more difficulty for the next finder. Meh.

How about hiding it the way you found it? If we all do this, then there is no question about the owners intent. To arbitrarily move a cache two feet, or 20 is wrong.

This being said, we've often encountered caches that were left out in the open, or otherwise not hidden the way the owner intended (check the difficulty rating). If this is the case, just re-hide the cache in a manner consistent with the owner's difficulty rating.

If we all "hide it better than we found it" eventually it will become so well hidden that nobody would be able to find it.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry