Found Ammo cans for a good price here <link inside>

Found 50 cal ammo cans for $3.97 each or 4 for $12.97 I do not know their shipping etc. I do see a foot note that states a $5.00 heavy/bulky item will be added.

Just thought I would mention it, here's the link:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=W99&i=21828

I still think www.cheaperthandirt.com is cheaper in the very end.

Live to Cache... Cache to Live...

I just got 10 of the .50 cal ammo boxes from Cheaperthandirt. This is the second time I've ordered 10 and each time it's come to just under $50 with shipping.

What I found interesting was that they came in three distinct shades of olive drab green and originally contained different kinds of ammo. Most were .50 BMG ammo, either all regular "ball" ammo or a tracer every five rounds. These boxes held 100 rounds of linked cartidges. There were two other calibers originally packed in some of the other ".50 cal" boxes, and one originally held 4 fuses of some sort.

Anyway, this'll be a case of turning swords into plowshares and they'll hold logbooks and McToys soon. icon_smile.gif

~erik~

quote:
Originally posted by Cache_us_if_you_can:

I guess we're lucky here in northern California... A place down the road from us sells ammo boxes $3 each or 2/$5, and we don't have to pay shipping!

Where in Northern California is that?

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Cache_us_if_you_can:

I guess we're lucky here in northern California... A place down the road from us sells ammo boxes $3 each or 2/$5, and we don't have to pay shipping!

Same here. We can get them for $3.50 all day long...

From CheaperThanDirt you can get 12 for the same shipping as 10. I just kept increasing the number and checking the total cost til it changed due to increased shipping. The 12 I got were all in excellent condition. I find you have to smear a little petrolium jelly on the rubber seals though or they are very difficult to pop open.

I just bought a 120mm ammo can from The Sportsman's Guide, (26 x 9 x 9 inches) No I won't be making a cache from it. I have One I got back in 1986, and have wanted more of them since.

One thing worth noting, in the order process for The Sportsman's Guide, there is a check box that is checked by default. It states something like : Check here to recieve email notification of order status AND a bunch of spam from us. It tries to make you think you have to check it to get, what should be, normal email notifications, of shipment, and tracking number.

UNCHECK THAT BOX, if you don't want a bunch of Sportsman's Guide spam, you will still get all the normal emails about your order, I did.

I think it's a load of crap for them to use that tactic.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

I ordered a bunch of ammo cans from cheaper than dirt a few years ago. The guys who "de-mil" these things must not pay too much attention because one came with a box of .30 cal. tracer ammo still in the box...

unless it's illegal to own this stuff and you work for the government. In which case: I made the whole thing up.

What is wrong with local Army Surpluss Stores.

I went to the army surplus store by me and they charge $9 for "50 cal" ammo cans. I did find another place a short drive away that sells them over the internet, but will let cachers pick them up at his house for $4 each. That's the cheapest I've found locally.