To those suggesting finding a cache by setting a fire....

This is too weird. A few days ago I posted about how I accidentally wrecked a cache and some people jokingly suggested that difficult caches are best found by setting a fire, etc. etc. Wouldn't you know that's exactly what happened to a local cache I went looking for today. It's in a grassland restoration area, and this past week there was a controlled burn of the area that covered a good several hundred acres. I knew there was a cache in the area, so I checked it out today and sure enough it was in the burn area. All that was left was the ammo box full of ashes and turned orange by the heat. There were smoldering trees all around and even some glowing stumps just feet from the cache. For any local Chicago cachers, the cache was Best Cache by a Dam Site. I obviously logged that this cache should be archived.

Find a cache by starting a fire? Are you people nuts? icon_redface.gificon_wink.gif (Just kidding, I do not actuall believe anyone would do that.) Anybody remember a small fire called the Rodeo-Chediski fire here in Arizona? Part of that megafire was started by someone I will euphemistically call a person who started a fire to attract attention when she got lost, even though our fire danger was so high that our forests were all closed. icon_eek.gif FYI caches in that fire did not survive. Please play safe in the wild, especially in Arizona.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898