Just an Observation

epeefencer

icon_rolleyes.gif

Has anyone else noticed the phenomina that you can't see a definate trail into a cache site but when your leaving and look back the way you came there is a clear path to follow? And I'm talking about a path that just one person (yourself) couldn't possible have made. Any theories out there?

Most cache hiders take the path of least resistance to place their cache. Often this is an existing game trail. The person searching for the cache often won't find this trail on the way in, but once at the cache site, the route becomes obvious to them.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I guess from years in the backcountry and pristine wilderness have trained my eye to look for things that seem out of place. It is amazing to me the I have been able to spot little things like a broken branch, matted grasses, and disturbed brush. Call me one of the lucky one's but it has become second nature for me. With this I have been truly blessed. BTW I have a pretty keen eye for animal scat as well. As you spend more time in the backcountry, you too will develop this type of sensory development.

"I cache; therefore I am"

quote:
Originally posted by epeefencer:

icon_rolleyes.gif

Has anyone else noticed the phenomina that you can't see a definate trail into a cache site but when your leaving and look back the way you came there is a clear path to follow? And I'm talking about a path that just one person (yourself) couldn't possible have made. Any theories out there?

It's not just perception, it's also guilt perception. I'm a moldmaker. Years ago an old timer told me that as an apprentice he had to texture a mold with a rounded tool and hammer. His first strokes were to peen his initials into the mold. He said that it took forever for those initials to disappear. The fact that he told me this, tells me they never did disappear, in his mind. icon_wink.gif

It is almost never easiest to walk "as the crow flies". After hunting some rural caches, it becomes apparent that you might have to walk a mile to get to a cache that is only 600 feet away. But believe me, that mile on the trail is a lot easier than the 600 feet of bushwhacking. A quick inspection usually reveals the easy way in, although it often appears to head in a direction that leads away from the cache.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

I've got the eye for the surronding nature area too, here my husband will be following the GPS yards away from it and I can spot the cache', most of the time, without going in the brush. When it comes to really tricky hides, not in the brush, ect. He's actually better because he trusts the tech. more. Things that are hidden in a brick on a building. He's good with that, we make a good team.

it's 5 o'clock somewhere!!

I've got a fairly good eye for finding the cache, most of the time its easy to see the "something" in an area that doesn't look natural, most people don't know how or take the time to camoflage the site and make it look as if its always been there, and that's OK. Is not like you don't want people to find the cache if their looking for it.

I had the exact opposite experience yesterday.

From the car the cache was 0.75 miles away. By trails I went 1.5 miles over an hour. I checked a map at a 'T' intersection and saw it was on the other side of an oval, so bushwacked. This stimulated a fun story. However, sunset was just 1/2 hour away and it was totally overcast out. Although I had brought along a headlamp, I didn't have a backup light and trails in this back section were poorly blazed.

I opted to bushwack straight out--in just over 30 minutes I was back at my car (under a mile of travel).

Sometimes it's harder (heck, I once spent hours trying to get 500' or so!) It all depends on terrain and intelligent choices according to such.

But all my 'most adventurous' caching trips involved bushwacking (see the links on my profile page)...

Enjoy,

Randy