OT: How do you make deer go away?

For several years, I've had a mother deer that's visited my house, and this last summer, she gave birth to 2 little deer in my backyard... (I have more photos of the whole process if anyone wants... They're kind of nasty but it is deer-childbirth which most people don't get to see...)

Deer Pic

The other story is that my neighbors behind me are gangster clownboats from hell, and they have several dogs that will eat your face, therefore, I've had to keep the gate closed in the backyard so that I don't have to shoot my neighbor's dogs while they gnaw on my leg. The problem is, my deer friends are beating the sh*t out of my gate at all hours trying to get in. Last night alone, I was woken up at *least* 6 times to the banging, and at some point she broke the latch and made it in... This morning I fixed it and just now, she banged on it again, (she's now grazing in my front yard...)

Any ideas on how to make her stop? Can I spray something nasty smelling on the gate that she'll find repulsive?

Edit: the night she gave birth, Newton (yes I named them) fell asleep under my window... here's a pic...

Newton and mom

I spent half an hour petting him... I didn't think he was going to make it as he was really small compared to his sis... And before you yell at me for petting deer... The mom knows me, I feed her by hand...

Newton

I know I'm derailing my own thread... but there's something cool about being so close to wildlife that you can hang out with their 12 hour old young...

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

[This message was edited by Acceptable Risk on September 22, 2002 at 11:55 AM.]

Didn't your mom ever teach you to not play with your food? icon_wink.gif

Do you want the deer to stop coming into your yard or just to stop banging on your gate? If it's the latter, just shorten your gate and shoot any dogs that trespass. If you want the deer to stop coming into your yard, you've got a little bigger challenge.

Since the deer sensed your yard was the safest place to give birth, I doubt it's going to be easy to reverse what you've reinforced over a period of years.

Maybe you could invite the neighbors' dogs over to "mark" your fence. Or you could light some firecrackers when she comes around. Right now, the deer associates your yard with "safety"; you've got to change that association to "danger" if you want her to stop coming around.

If you are careful to ensure it is only the place she associates with danger and not yourself, she may still trust you if you encounter her at a different location (if that's what you want.)

Worldtraveler

Didn't your mom ever teach you to not play with your food? icon_wink.gif

Do you want the deer to stop coming into your yard or just to stop banging on your gate? If it's the latter, just shorten your gate and shoot any dogs that trespass. If you want the deer to stop coming into your yard, you've got a little bigger challenge.

Since the deer sensed your yard was the safest place to give birth, I doubt it's going to be easy to reverse what you've reinforced over a period of years.

Maybe you could invite the neighbors' dogs over to "mark" your fence. Or you could light some firecrackers when she comes around. Right now, the deer associates your yard with "safety"; you've got to change that association to "danger" if you want her to stop coming around.

If you are careful to ensure it is only the place she associates with danger and not yourself, she may still trust you if you encounter her at a different location (if that's what you want.)

Worldtraveler

icon_biggrin.gif

First of all, you should have never fed them, it is even against the law in some areas. This leads to the animals both getting to used to being around us and can make them dependant on our feedings.

The best course of action I can suggest is contacting your local animal control officer, or if there is none, a game warden or the forest service. The only way those deer will stay away now is if they are relocated several miles away.

Either that, or shooting them. Unfortunately, I'm not joking this time. Sometimes it is the only way if a wild animal gets too dependant on humans.

This is similar to the bears that were being fed too much by visitors to the park and getting to acclimated to being around humans, Yosemite I think it was?

I really feel for you, I am sure you have become attached to them. but for their sake and yours, something should be done.

Save our forests, wipe your *** with a tree-hugger.

icon_biggrin.gif

First of all, you should have never fed them, it is even against the law in some areas. This leads to the animals both getting to used to being around us and can make them dependant on our feedings.

The best course of action I can suggest is contacting your local animal control officer, or if there is none, a game warden or the forest service. The only way those deer will stay away now is if they are relocated several miles away.

Either that, or shooting them. Unfortunately, I'm not joking this time. Sometimes it is the only way if a wild animal gets too dependant on humans.

This is similar to the bears that were being fed too much by visitors to the park and getting to acclimated to being around humans, Yosemite I think it was?

I really feel for you, I am sure you have become attached to them. but for their sake and yours, something should be done.

quote:
I spent half an hour petting him... I didn't think he was going to make it as he was really small compared to his sis... And before you yell at me for petting deer... The mom knows me, I feed her by hand...

Lets see, you feed the deer by hand and pet them, yet you want them to go away. Feeding them was your first mistake. They are now dependant on you and have no fear of humans. You've basically sentenced them to death through your actions.

A fed animal is a dead animal.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I don't know about this but I was watching the movie; 'The Rookie' last night and they addressed an issue just like this and what they did in the movie was get human hair from a barber shop and place it all around the area that they wanted the deer to stay out of. Don't know if I believe it or not but it makes a small bit of sense. The idea was that the deer would stay away from the smell of humans. icon_confused.gif Just wanted to post that here since I just saw the movie last night and I feel its odd that you have that problem. Anyway it was a good movie if you haven't seen is yet.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I don't know about this but I was watching the movie; 'The Rookie' last night and they addressed an issue just like this and what they did in the movie was get human hair from a barber shop and place it all around the area that they wanted the deer to stay out of. Don't know if I believe it or not but it makes a small bit of sense. The idea was that the deer would stay away from the smell of humans. icon_confused.gif Just wanted to post that here since I just saw the movie last night and I feel its odd that you have that problem. Anyway it was a good movie if you haven't seen is yet.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Couch_Potato:

Mmmmm, venison. icon_smile.gif

And farm fed too, they haven't been eating that crappy stuff from the swamp that makes them taste like crap! icon_wink.gif

Ok, that's all the joking I'm doing here. This is a serious situation after all... Sorry AR

quote:
Originally posted by Couch_Potato:

Mmmmm, venison. icon_smile.gif

And farm fed too, they haven't been eating that crappy stuff from the swamp that makes them taste like crap! icon_wink.gif

Ok, that's all the joking I'm doing here. This is a serious situation after all... Sorry AR

Very simple.....cow's blood. They hate it.

Other than that, I am THE orginal white trash Deer exterminator. Only I like to use a compound bow. Grenades are funner and much more entertaining, but it's hard to get much good meat with all that shrapnel in the deer. If you pay for airfare, I could help you out.

KURTULEAS

quote:
Originally posted by Acceptable Risk:

... The problem is, my deer friends are beating the sh*t out of my gate at all hours trying to get in. Last night alone, I was woken up at *least* 6 times to the banging, and at some point she broke the latch and made it in... This morning I fixed it and just now, she banged on it again, (she's now grazing in my front yard...)

Any ideas on how to make her stop? Can I spray something nasty smelling on the gate that she'll find repulsive?

... And before you yell at me for petting deer... The mom knows me, I feed her by hand...

Do you think if you stopped hand feeding the deer, they might be less interested in beating down your gate and coming into your yard?

Aww, what's the big prob? It's great to kibutz with non-predatory nature(just don't feed the bears). Leave your gate open, screw the dogs next door the guy should have them on a leash if they don't stay on his property. You don't have to shoot them either, there's baseball bats and pepper spray(and you should use them on the owner, not the dogs).

Only downside I can see if the large amounts of deer crap you're going to have.

If you must get rid of them, rig an electric current to a wire above the door(and put a sign). Or a commercial deer repellant with some big predator urine in it (Cougar, etc..)

Zartimus - Friend to squirrels everywhere

Oh I am so the man... I'm like a regular Bob Villa over here icon_smile.gif

I'm going to rehinge the gate so it swings both directions and shim out the top so it closes itself. She can push her way through anytime she wants and my buttmuffin neighbor's dogs won't come in... She'll just have to teach her kids how to do it... My trees have apples on them so that's why I think she's picking fights with my gate...

And UMC, doot is a word I got from a Dave Barry article. It has the same meaning as crap, but is infinitely funnier, (unless it's in a bag burning on your doorstep)

EDIT: I also have a racoon problem but that's a story for a whole 'nother post. It invloves lies, deception, and a love triangle invloving myself and my bar-b-que...

geosig.jpg

Oh I am so the man... I'm like a regular Bob Villa over here icon_smile.gif

I'm going to rehinge the gate so it swings both directions and shim out the top so it closes itself. She can push her way through anytime she wants and my buttmuffin neighbor's dogs won't come in... She'll just have to teach her kids how to do it... My trees have apples on them so that's why I think she's picking fights with my gate...

And UMC, doot is a word I got from a Dave Barry article. It has the same meaning as crap, but is infinitely funnier, (unless it's in a bag burning on your doorstep)

EDIT: I also have a racoon problem but that's a story for a whole 'nother post. It invloves lies, deception, and a love triangle invloving myself and my bar-b-que...

geosig.jpg

As UMC said he saw in a movie, my grandfather used to collect hair from the local barbershop and then put in socks to hang around his gardens. To what extent it worked I have no idea. I have also been told that Deer can't stand flashing lights like those used on top of construction barrels, the flashing keeps repeatedly messing up thier night vision.

This reminded me of a stupid story that I had heard about a guy who lived on Rte 2 in MA. There was one of those deer crossig signs on the highway next to his property. He actually went to the town to have the sign moved down the road so the deer would stop crossing on his property.

So, maybe you could try putting a deer crossing sign down the road a ways . . . icon_wink.gif

This reminded me of a stupid story that I had heard about a guy who lived on Rte 2 in MA. There was one of those deer crossig signs on the highway next to his property. He actually went to the town to have the sign moved down the road so the deer would stop crossing on his property.

So, maybe you could try putting a deer crossing sign down the road a ways . . . icon_wink.gif