barcache?

agentblue

In case you read my aerocache post, I'm trying to figure out new ways to do the sport. I'm in an area where there isn't a lot of wilderness (the kind of cache I like.) So I'm trying to think of something new. I think it'd be cool to approach the owners of some of the better and more classy bars in town and ask them to put a "cache" behind the bar. So you have to navigate to the bar....then ask for the cache, and possibly a drink. icon_cool.gif This would be great for breweries too. I'm sure bar owners wouldn't mind if it had the chance of bringing in business. Pro's and Con's anyone? What do you think?

"Not all who wander are lost..." -Tolkien

That'd be great if you could get barowners to do it. I think though we we did barcaches, we'd have to either make it a micro, or say no geotrinkets. I doubt many barowners would like have, what would seem to them, like a container of junk under their bars. Even though it's gold to us. If I had such a cache, I might buy four or five drinks, then write IOU's out with a deal with the barowner. That's along the same idea as what the Cabernet was thinking. Great idea!

From the guidelines and requirements page:

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/requirements.asp

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

What is a commercial cache? A commercial use of the web site cache reporting tool is an direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a geocaching.com listing. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, or social agendas will not be listed. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made for certain cache types (e.g. locationless) In these situations, permission can be given by the geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

Ahhh...there's always someone who spoils the mood, isn't there. The point of geocaching is the hunt...correct? More importantly, it's discovering places that you haven't been before. Still with me? I am not a bar promoter...I'm a 21 year old college student. It's just the same as aerocaching. Flying into a certain airport to discover a cache doesn't mean I'm supporting that particular airport and all the fees thereunto. Let's keep things in perspective. I'm looking for new ideas and innovations for this great sport. You can either spout regualations like any brainless moron, or you can add to the conversation. Please choose which.....

quote:
Originally posted by airman730:

...Pro's and Con's anyone? What do you think?...

quote:
...You can either spout regualations like any brainless moron, or you can add to the conversation. Please choose which.....

...if there is a "brainless moron" here, it's the one who:

Suggests a cache type clearly contrary to geocaching.com policyAsks others for input "pro or con"Then jumps down the throat of the first person who shows exactly why the suggestion will not be approved

Airman730 (or is it eagledriver2004?), you're method is not getting you off to a good start in these forums. Your choice.

Worldtraveler

quote:

Ahhh...there's always someone who spoils the mood, isn't there. The point of geocaching is the hunt...correct? More importantly, it's discovering places that you haven't been before. Still with me? I am not a bar promoter...I'm a 21 year old college student. It's just the same as aerocaching. Flying into a certain airport to discover a cache doesn't mean I'm supporting that particular airport and all the fees thereunto. Let's keep things in perspective. I'm looking for new ideas and innovations for this great sport. You can either spout regualations like any brainless moron, or you can add to the conversation. Please choose which.....

If you had read the rules you should have known that this type of cache probably wouldn't be approved anyway. Why jump someone for pointing that out to you? On the otherhand why not put one in a grocery store or a brothel for that matter.

Yes I have finds, yes I have hides and yes I'm a charter member. My wife will not let me use our account on the forums...don't know why.

How about this - the cache owner buys the first finder a drink (i.e pays for it and writes the name of the drink down on a slip in the cache. The first finder gets his drink and buys one for the next finder, and so on. The more imaginative the drink, the better.

If this took off, geocachers would know theres always a drink waiting behind the bar for them! You just don't know what you're gonna get!

Oh, one more rule, whatever it is, you have to drink it! icon_eek.gif

Yeah, yeah...probably wouldn't get approved, but I like it!

"The sooner all the animals are extinct, the sooner we'll find their money"

[This message was edited by Dunedin on January 19, 2003 at 05:35 AM.]

I like it it sounds fun.....

As to the cache being in a bar....I know out here in NewEngland there are some great brew pubs that are also nyce resteruants...This would make the cache suddable for the whole family.. you could take the family out to dinner and mom and dad could cache at the bar...It would give the little ones a chance to cache when there older....

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

From the Hida-n-Seek page:

quote:
READ FIRST: This is a free service. Only caches of a non-commercial nature can be posted through this site. If you wish to create a commercial cache or promotion, please contact us first. Caches perceived of a commercial nature will not be approved.

I think a good reason that commercial caches are not allowed is the fact we'd be flooded with caches that brought you to every establishment in the area.

However, in the above quote I've emphasized a important element. With a small fee, a small contribution to the site, I'm sure TPTB wouldn't mind adding a commercial cache.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:

I'm looking for new ideas and innovations for this great sport. You can either spout regualations like any brainless moron, or you can add to the conversation. Please choose which.....

Maybe you are looking for new ideas and innovations for this great sport, I can't tell. But your idea (put a cache in a bar) not only isn't new or innovative, it's been discussed before and soundly rejected for a variety of reasons.

And if your response to people telling you this is to call them 'brainless morons' simply because they don't like your idea, you're not seeking a conversation on the subject, you're seeking a bunch of brainless morons who blithely accept your ideas and respond with unreasoning adulation.

In other words, you might well be 21 years old, but you still need to grow up. Get out there and do it, and stop insulting people.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Looks like a marketing opportunity!

Airman730, consider setting up a web site for commercial caches only. Charge the bar/store/restaurant/etc. a fee to be listed. At least I'd know they were commercial in nature going in.

While I don't want commercial caches on this site, if my wife is shopping for shoes I might check to see if there is a commercial cache nearby. Sure beats sitting there while she tries on ANOTHER pair.

geospotter

Profile for airman730 (airman730)

Member since January, 2003

Caches Found/Hidden: 0/0

Travel Bugs Owned/Found: 0/0

Benchmarks Found: 0

Hmmmm. Stick around, read, and learn, airman. Although I personally love the idea of a cache at a brew pub, the guidelines are in place for a purpose. If this placement was allowed, why not put a cache in a Walmart or McDonalds?

Where am I going? I don't quite know.

What does it matter where people go?

Down to the wood where the blue-bells grow-

Anywhere, anywhere. I don't know.

-A.A. Milne

This cache is a bad idea for many reasons. As others have already stated, it is clearly in violation of the guidelines.

Geocaching is enjoyed by many, many young people, who are not old enough to drink legally. In addition, many adults do not drink, whether for religious, health or other personal reasons. This cache pushes alcohol on its finders.

Sorry, but this cache is a really bad idea. If you want to set up a private gps bar-hopping game with your college friends, go for it. But this definately doesn't belong on geocaching.com.

And bartender, let me say this. If anyone is getting anything for free here, then the waitstaff is probably getting a lousy tip and they'd hate the idea. The owners might like the idea, because anything to bring in new business is good. The geocaching community can't bring the kids. It sounds way too commercial to me and not a very good idea if someone starts drinking in the middle of a caching day and then hops back in their car. Don't drink and drive. Having been in the business over 20 years, I know too many sad stories. Check out caches in urban areas for more ideas, keep thinking. I vote "eh! no fun for me". Anyone can find a bar. Let's not promote alcoholism. Don't drink and geocache. Any brainless moron can tell you that. Bad idea, move on...

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

Well you all are right. I did ask for pros and cons, and I got them. Fair enough. We'll axe the barcache. There's just so many ways this sport can go, it's exciting. I honestly didn't think about the commercial aspect. I've done 10 caches with a friend of mine, because I didn't have a GPS at the time. Now that I have one, I need to go back and try to relog those. I forget where they are anyway! Anyway, I'm off topic. I enjoy going to a cache and discovering some small niche that didn't see before. Just thought I could apply this to some of the establishments in my area. It was a bad idea...hmm, I'll keep thinking. icon_cool.gif

Wow, fairly complicated one. Perhaps I should just scrap the pub idea. I think it would've worked if not for the "commercialization" rule. But it's a necessary one nonetheless. Well anyway, if you're ever in Pittsburgh, drop me a line. We've got some great pubs here. icon_cool.gif