What do you think about this cache can?

ProStreet

I think it looks a lot like this one of mine:

896396_200.JPG

Mine has a craft magnet superglued inside, and it's able to hold all that stuff up. It would probably slide down the vertical surface it is attached to, but there's a small ledge under it. The magnet holds it from toppling off the ledge. Before people left all the swag, it held itself up just fine.

Mine is pretty well shielded from the elements. You might want to rustproof it if the rain could get to it.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut

I got one of those "perfume sample" tubes, about 1/2" long and maybe 1/8" in diamater.

I was going to use it as a micro-cache, but I believe it would have to be for minature dwarf midgets or pixies to be practical.

I sure can't write small enough to put a log-sheet in it. Maybe the finder could put just one eyelash in it and that would serve as their DNA print for the log.

--majicman

My new book available now!: (http://www.mcwj.com )

quote:
Originally posted by ProStreet:

I just received my latest AOL CD in the mail and it came in a tin about 5X5X 1/4" thick. When I saw it I thought it would make a neat cache can. I have seen Altoid cans used so I think I will give this a shot. Don’t know where I'm going to use it at yet.

icon_biggrin.gif Gives the new meaning - gotta go to the can, man! icon_biggrin.gif

I've got one of the AOL tins I was going to use unpainted. I plan on using two of them little squeeze clamps from Home Depot for $.48 each to keep it shut. I'm going to write coordinates on the shiny side of the disk and hang it in a tree for part 1 of a multi. The name of the cache will be 'Always Off Line' You're right it's a theme cache about my less than favorite isp. To log it I'll ask everyone to us anything interesting they do with the disks. icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

The AOL tins aren't waterproof or remotely water resistant. So be reeeeal careful where you put it.

Dinoprophets is in a very "water safe" location. I just had the pleasure to visit recently. Great job indeed. The paint matched its background and everything.

I've also seen people use the AOL tins and had them placed under logs as a stage of a multi and they were dry so yes the placement is crucial.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

My Seventeen Pedestals cache is an AOL tin held together with clamp-type paper clips. I hid it January 6, underneath a large uprooted stump (so not in that wet of a spot), but a trusted visitor on Saturday wrote, 'Starting to get damp in there.' I plan on replacing it tomorrow with something a little more water resistant.

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

For what it's worth to this discussion, I checked my AOL tin cache today, and replaced the tin with a tupperware container.

The tin was in a dry spot, but it did a lousy job of keeping the damp air out. As a result, the log book was a little damp (not wet, really, but like it would be if you left it in your car with the window open overnight in the fog).

The tupperware container may make it a little more damp-resistant. Not like a good ammo box,* but then again, what is?

TravisL

* A cache I found two weeks ago: pulled ammo box out of river, signed log book, replaced it into river, TNLN.

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."