Open Letter, Are You Thick?

Then there's this guy. Sheesh.

quote:
July 27 (91 found)

We found this one after some pretty heavy duty bushwhacking. To make it easier for the next finder, we chopped out all vegetation 30 feet around the cache. We felled two large trees that might be a nuisance as well. We then triple wrapped it in a shopping bag, a kitchen garbage bag, and a brown hefty sack. After that, we tied a trail of ribbons, not more than three feet apart, leading from the road to the cache. I wasn’t sure if all that would be sufficient, so I ran to the hardware store for some day-glow orange paint and repainted the can. With the little paint that remained, I sprayed a large arrow on the barren ground pointing to the cache. Took a $20 gold coin (1887) and left a range golf ball that should be good for at least five more hits.

Thanks Travis for a fun hunt.

I went to check, and it's not even a real golf ball. It's a douglas fir cone wrapped in duct tape with the words ''GOLF BAL'' written on it in green crayon.

Some people and their kids... icon_cool.gif

WWJD? JW RTFM.

Do geocaching like people play Disc Golf.

How Disc Golf is played:

1 From the Tee pad, Throw disc toward the basket(Disc Pole Hole)

2 Walk over to the Disc that is lying on the ground, and place a small Marker disc, up aganst the Disc on the ground.

3 With disc back in hand, step up to the Marker disc, and throw Disc toward the basket.

Good way to do a cache:

Like in step number two, place a marker next to the cache container, then grab the cache, and move to a less conspicuous area to open the cache, then when you are done logging a note, and trading items, you place the cache back where you had the marker on the Ground, pole, or wherever, then take your marker, for use on the next cache.

When you replace the cache, also remember to scoop up some leaf and twigg debris from the forest floor, then toss that at the cache from a few feet away(helps to make it look more natural)

http://www.discgolfholidays.com/shop/showdiscs.asp?disc_id=71

... gives you more time to respond to the throw and prevents the thrower from releasing

the disc past the markers body. Another thing to help your marking is to ...

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

I went to check, and it's not even a real golf ball. It's a douglas fir cone wrapped in duct tape with the words ''GOLF BAL'' written on it in green crayon.

LMAO!

Someone should make that their sig item. People would clamor for them then.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Ajetpilot:

Here is a quote from an experienced geocacher with 320 finds, "I put it back in the same place, but upside down and with an extra rock

or two. It's a good thing W7WT got here before I did! Good luck to

those who follow me." Sounds like he raised the 1.5 difficulty. This is the same guy Criminal mentioned that put the rant onto one his cache pages about some ribbons someone (probably picnicers) near a cache site of his.

It's hard enough finding the ones he hides, now he's making the other ones in the area harder? icon_redface.gif

quote:
I suspect the painters removed the container instead of simply painting over it, proof that none of them were prior Navy.

Hey, hey!!! Let's watch the derogitory comments on the cache pages! icon_mad.gif

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth,

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..."

I recently went to leave a TB in one of mine, and arrived to see the ammo box laying there... with a single rock on top of it. A rock. Who the HELL thinks that hides an ammo box? Geez.

That tin's a great idea, BTW.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

This rant came about because of a number of incidents, both on my caches and others. I have been out hunting caches that were completely out in the open and had me wondering how they remained un-plundered.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by Ajetpilot:

quote:
I suspect the painters removed the container instead of simply painting over it, proof that none of them were prior Navy.

Hey, hey!!! Let's watch the derogitory comments on the cache pages! icon_mad.gif

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth,

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..."

But you know it's true.... icon_wink.gif

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Criminal Quoted:

...seems someone made a ribbon trail that led right to the cache. He didn’t design the cache with ribbons, why someone felt it necessary to “improve” his cache is beyond me...

We had a strange and similar experience with a night cache we co-made with another cacher. The FTFer, a very experienced cache finder and placer, placed a red reflector on the cache tree, and did not notify the cache owner. Hm. The cache owner moved the reflector and incorporated it into the cache his way. If I may offer a summary:

1-don't move or alter caches. This rule is clearly spelled out on the Geocaching site.

2-if you absolutely must move or alter a cache due to extenuating circumstances, notify the cache owner every time.

3-don't "Help" the cache by changing anything unless it is plundered or CLEARLY something is wrong. See #2.

4-If you are thick, or all the bushes look alike, realize this BEFORE retrieving the cache and make every effort to observe #1. Treat altering a cache like you would thrashing through thorns in shorts - a) do it as a very last resort, :D prepare as much as possible given the fact that you are already there and 3) log it!

4-Cache owners should expect people to move/alter your cache both intentionally or inadvertently, and be prepared to deal as constructively as possible with this reality.

5-Do what is possible or appropriate to help even thick cachers keep your cache on center.

Although many of us are geeks, some of us are sometimes indeed thick geeks, myself included.

Thanks for the rant.

astrojr1&G-O-GardenerGal

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

I always move it about 100 feet.

That way the next searcher thinks his GPS is broken and wastes money buying a new one. icon_wink.gif

And here I thought *I* was the only one doing this to make the sport more challenging!

Perhas next time I will dig a pit, place the newly-found cache amongst pungi stakes at the bottom of the pit with a sign that says "YOU FOUND ME! NOW CALL 911!", then cover the hole with branches and let the fun begin....

Fledermaus has a rant in one of his <A HREF="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6ca55f86-b4cd-48bf-82b3-e03bb11921c7" TARGET=_blank>caches</a>, seems someone made a ribbon trail that led right to the cache. He didn’t design the cache with ribbons, why someone felt it necessary to “improve” his cache is beyond me.

I found a cache last week in a local park on a nature trail. Someone had taken the time and "courtesy" to mark every turn in the trail with a pile of hedgeapples, and at the last 10 feet to the cash, actually left a line of them pointing to the hiding spot. Tell me there aren't muggles out there the would be curious at least about the line of hedgeapples pointing to a tree! Might as well erect a neon sign that says, "GEOCACHE HERE!! PLUNDER ME, BABY!"