What happened to insidecorner.com geocaching stats?

quote:
Originally posted by GeoManhattan:

Why won't GC.com offer a stats page? ...

Two reasons. One is 100% right regardless of the reason given.

1) Server Load

2) They don't want too.

It is a competion or Dan's site would not be so popular. Not everyone is competing to be #1. Some just to be #1 in their town. Some to move up the list. Some to just hold their own and some just to see what everyone else is doing.

TPTB are deathly afraid that users would compare totals and, dare I say it, compete with each other. icon_eek.gif

quote:

Why won't GC.com offer a stats page?

It's crazy that GC.com hasn't providing this simple report all along. I guess they can't get the maps to work either.

You would think my $3 a month could employ an out of work dot-commer with some smarts.

GeoManhattan

http://www.GeoManhattan.com

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:

Why won't GC.com offer a stats page? ...

Two reasons. One is 100% right regardless of the reason given.

1) Server Load

2) They don't want too.

It is a competion or Dan's site would not be so popular. Not everyone is competing to be #1. Some just to be #1 in their town. Some to move up the list. Some to just hold their own and some just to see what everyone else is doing.

Very eloquently stated, RK. True, it's not a competition to everyone, nor should it be (to everyone). But, it's enough of a competition to ENOUGH of us (myself included, at least among my fellow Miss. state cachers) that we have this issue/discussion going on.

Keeping the faith in Miss...

-Dave R. in Biloxi

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

quote:

Because it is not a competition.

No wagering!

I have done an informal survey over time, and I confidently conclude that 80% or more of the active geocachers would quit in due course if there were no statistics on the site, namely, the # of finds...

Which leads me to believe that there would also be very few new geocachers.

I concur. After 300+ finds my first year, I'm ready to hang it up if I can't see what's going in my area.

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

quote:

Because it is not a competition.

No wagering!

I have done an informal survey over time, and I confidently conclude that 80% or more of the active geocachers would quit in due course if there were no statistics on the site, namely, the # of finds...

Which leads me to believe that there would also be very few new geocachers.

One of the fundamentals of GeoCaching is how many finds you have. That's one of the top two-three things GeoCachers ask each other in the wild.

I would like to see City/State ranks added to the GC.com site. Being a big-dog going for 2k etc. isn't even remotely attainable in the short term for most of us. However, being top 25 in your state is attainable and makes for a realistic goal that keeps you going.

Since GC.com won't share their data I don't consider a City/State page request unrealistic.

GeoManhattan.com

Good idea. Geomanhattan, what FL rank were you when the stats died?

quote:

One of the fundamentals of GeoCaching is how many finds you have. That's one of the top two-three things GeoCachers ask each other in the wild.

I would like to see City/State ranks added to the GC.com site. Being a big-dog going for 2k etc. isn't even remotely attainable in the short term for most of us. However, being top 25 in your state is attainable and makes for a realistic goal that keeps you going.

Since GC.com won't share their data I don't consider a City/State page request unrealistic.

http://www.GeoManhattan.com

There is a demand for stats, I have about 12 people in my family that cache and we would pull the latest ranks and e-mail them to each other, with the statement " you better get back in the woods" I was currently 4th in the Nashville area and in the top 60 in the country, but now I can only keep up with Nashville ranks by asking the cacher on my heels and the one above what their counts are. Numbers aren't everything but they sure are fun, like when you hit an area for the first time and come away with 50 or more and you jump over 3 or 4 ahead of you. It would be great if they at least had state stats.

Good point, and it's not all about competition as much as it is tracking activity of your peers.

quote:
Originally posted by Mosestron:

There is a demand for stats, I have about 12 people in my family that cache and we would pull the latest ranks and e-mail them to each other, with the statement " you better get back in the woods" I was currently 4th in the Nashville area and in the top 60 in the country, but now I can only keep up with Nashville ranks by asking the cacher on my heels and the one above what their counts are. Numbers aren't everything but they sure are fun, like when you hit an area for the first time and come away with 50 or more and you jump over 3 or 4 ahead of you. It would be great if they at least had state stats.

Maybe all the outcries (about the stats) from the forums are starting to sink in. It doesn't sound like anything will be coming soon however. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

Check http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=61760297 out. It's a rather interesting statement from Jeremy.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner