GPS off

rich4011

I think what you are saying is that your map is off. Your GPS is probably just fine. The maps that Magellan uses are fine in some areas and way off in others. It's both funny and annoying. Maybe in the future they will upgrade to better maps.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Although I am not a Mag owner I once had a similar problem with one of my Garmins.

Is this only a problem when using maps or both mapping and caching?

Have you tried a master reset (if its possible with mags) then let it sit for a half hour or so with a clear view of the sky so it can gather a new set of almanac data. I would do this with WAAS enabled as well.

This may or may not work for you (if it can be done with your model) but it did fix the problem I was having.

Hope it helps and good luck to you!!

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU GUYS !!!!!!!!!!

My Garmin etrex Vista is RIGHT ON !!!!!

I have done alot of tracks in my car and on my bike, they overlap Perfectly on sat, and topo maps. Even with the "lock to road" feature turned off.

I use USAPhotoMap for all my main image and track laying, its GREAT.

Pdxmarathon,

what do you mean?

That the software is whats right on, and not the GPS unit?

Hmmm, might be true, ive used USAPhotoMap, Mapsource, ExpertGPS, and they are all perfect.

I guess i might just be Megellans software,,,, thats a shame.

I was speaking in terms of the road placements. The features and interface of the different softwares can ALWAYS be improved. One thing I dont like , is that they all save things in different formats, and dont like useing each otheres files. I have to have each program get the waypoints off of my GPS unit. Instead of making one waypoint file for all the programs. The only program i use that has all raods including small ones is Garmin Mapsourse MetroGuide.

Ok, I understand now. I haven't loaded any other maps into my Garmin III+, so I can't speak for any other map sources. I do know that the roads, lakes, etc. are off from the actual location. I'm not sure by how much, since I really don't pay much attention to what the gps has for a map except for the general location back to the nearest highway from out in the woods somewhere. Most of the caches I have been to, I just jump in the Jeep and start driving towards where the waypoint is. I get some turns wrong and end up on dead ends sometimes, but I have a lot of fun anyway.

The first thing that I found in loading coordinates to my GPS is "map datum." I put in coordinates for a few points around me, then I walked to them. Or tried to. Then I found that my GPS was set to WGS-84 instead of NAD-27 CONUS. After setting the GPS to NAD-27 CONUS everything got pretty good.