Foul Weather Geocaching?

I was just curious if anyone else does NOT consider bad weather a deterrent to a day of geocaching? I’m not talking about tornados or hurricanes, just the kind of weather than would cause you to cancell “normal” outdoor activities. It seems like a more satisfiying find when you are wet and/or cold and you know most people are home sitting on their duffs lamenting the lousy weather.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I was just curious if anyone else does NOT consider bad weather a deterrent to a day of geocaching? ....

Well since you ruled out tornadoes ... I'd have to say ... nope ... a bad day of caching is better ... wait a minute ... I haven't had a bad day of caching icon_biggrin.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

quote:

I was just curious if anyone else does NOT consider bad weather a deterrent to a day of geocaching? ....

Well since you ruled out tornadoes ... I'd have to say ... nope ... a bad day of caching is better ... wait a minute ... I haven't had a bad day of caching icon_biggrin.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

quote:

oops, I didn't click into the correct forum. Anybody know how to move this topic or delete it?

Well, the admins can move it to the General forum when they see it... but since it's still here, I may as well reply, eh? icon_wink.gif

I've done a nice bit of foul-weather caching. It adds a whole new dimension to it. I'd just recommend either an IPX7-certified receiver or a small waterproof bag (better than a ziploc, since those tear too easily on branches and such). Most Garmins, all the Magellan Meridians and the Magellan SportTraks (I think, but I can't find a spec sheet on them) are IPX7.

Oh, and the only other thing to remember is that you need a good poncho to use as a tent when you're opening the cache to log and trade... but it does get humid under there, so be quick. icon_wink.gif

quote:

oops, I didn't click into the correct forum. Anybody know how to move this topic or delete it?

Well, the admins can move it to the General forum when they see it... but since it's still here, I may as well reply, eh? icon_wink.gif

I've done a nice bit of foul-weather caching. It adds a whole new dimension to it. I'd just recommend either an IPX7-certified receiver or a small waterproof bag (better than a ziploc, since those tear too easily on branches and such). Most Garmins, all the Magellan Meridians and the Magellan SportTraks (I think, but I can't find a spec sheet on them) are IPX7.

Oh, and the only other thing to remember is that you need a good poncho to use as a tent when you're opening the cache to log and trade... but it does get humid under there, so be quick. icon_wink.gif

Thanks to whoever moved it.

I was nervous about getting my III+ wet at first, not anymore. Funny how reading the specs can be helpful. Not sure if I could maintain a good lock while spinning round in a tornado, wouldn't find the cache anyway though.......

My first trip to Sweden was in the middle of winter, and my work required spending hours outside at a stretch. Fortunately, I was prepared. We were standing on a windblown ramp around 2 A.M. one night, watching the snow swirl around as we waited for the aircraft to arrive. The conversation turned to weather, and one of the locals told me they have a saying in Sweden, "There's no such thing as bad weather; only bad clothing."

I kind of like that; it accounts for most situations. But then again, I don't think Sweden's been hit by very many tornadoes. icon_wink.gif

Worldtraveler

My first trip to Sweden was in the middle of winter, and my work required spending hours outside at a stretch. Fortunately, I was prepared. We were standing on a windblown ramp around 2 A.M. one night, watching the snow swirl around as we waited for the aircraft to arrive. The conversation turned to weather, and one of the locals told me they have a saying in Sweden, "There's no such thing as bad weather; only bad clothing."

I kind of like that; it accounts for most situations. But then again, I don't think Sweden's been hit by very many tornadoes. icon_wink.gif

Worldtraveler

Disadvantage: Stream crossings.

Advantage: Nobody else around, so you don't have to pretend your GPSr is a cell phone.

Disadvantage: Poison ivy soaks through wet clothes MUCH EASIER than dry clothes.

Advantage: What else is there to do on a rainy day?

** If God didn't want me geocaching in the rain, he would have made clouds block GPS signals a LOT MORE than they do! icon_wink.gif

25021_1200.gif

Disadvantage: Stream crossings.

Advantage: Nobody else around, so you don't have to pretend your GPSr is a cell phone.

Disadvantage: Poison ivy soaks through wet clothes MUCH EASIER than dry clothes.

Advantage: What else is there to do on a rainy day?

** If God didn't want me geocaching in the rain, he would have made clouds block GPS signals a LOT MORE than they do! icon_wink.gif

25021_1200.gif

The first cache I ever placed was the worst weather I had ever cached in. It was overcast all day, but never even sprinkled. i spent a couple of hours wandering around the park until I found a good spot. Went back to the car for the cache, and as soon as I placed it, the sky opened up like nobody's business. I don't I had ever been that wet in my life.

Made for a pleasant (and odorific icon_wink.gif ) drive home...

icon_wigogeocaching.gif chezpic.gif

The first cache I ever placed was the worst weather I had ever cached in. It was overcast all day, but never even sprinkled. i spent a couple of hours wandering around the park until I found a good spot. Went back to the car for the cache, and as soon as I placed it, the sky opened up like nobody's business. I don't I had ever been that wet in my life.

Made for a pleasant (and odorific icon_wink.gif ) drive home...

icon_wigogeocaching.gif chezpic.gif