Peeved??.. YES I AM!!!

I just got back from a cache right down the street from my house and it was a themed cache. It was fire fighter stuff, anyhting to do with fire fighting. One visitor left a cute dalmation toy which i thought was cool. Then somebody (i will not mention names, but he is from my state and has a pretty good number of caches behind him) came and logged my site. I was thrilled to see he made it to my section of town. But, he did not follow the rules of my cache... probably not any of them. (I have only checked out this one). All of mine are themed. Then i notice on one of his entrys online was him, practically whining that he had to take a mile long dirt road to my cache when there was an easier way. Oh I'm sorry I figured you would like to get back to a major road then say, Main st. Pleasant ville and be scanning your maps trying to figure how to get to a major road. I say if a cache is themed then bring something that goes along with it... if you dont have any thing then just log it... and dont take stuff suited for this theme, and leave something not well suited. Soon all of our very thought out themes will be down to trinkets of all sorts if people do not PAY ATTENTION!!! icon_mad.gif

It's not that I'm pissed cause it happened i figure it would one day... but what does that say for the rest of us that do play the game correct and for those who can come in and well have there own way of it. Kinda makes having THEMED CACHES a cache with a future thats gonna die shortly. Thanks though.. and yes i have chilled out!! My tattoo was itching... whats that you might ask... hmmm if only you knew!! icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LarsThorwald:

Just steer clear of that thread about whether people carry guns when they cache!

Reminds me of the politics section of the Compuserve firearms forum. It's very hard for me to remember that this is NOT the not place for politics and to not post...or at least post as little as I have...and totally impossible for me to keep up with reading that thread.

quote:
Originally posted by SunCrush & Traumajunkie21:

It was fire fighter stuff, anyhting to do with fire fighting.......Soon all of our very thought out themes will be down to trinkets of all sorts if people do not PAY ATTENTION!!! icon_mad.gif

Just put all of the trinkets into a little pile and set a match to them - then put it out with a water pistol (acceptable firearm in my opinion)!

This would fit in perfectly with your theme.

(Sort of like: When life gives you lemons - Make lemonade!)

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif (I gave you extra emoticons because I know you like them!)

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

I have a comment. I notice that you have 3 finds and 8 placements. Maybe a few more finds would give you an idea of how local cachers handle the different caches. I don't know if you can expect everyone to go along with exactly what you want in your cache. Not that they are right, or you are wrong, but I am merely suggesting that it is difficult to convince everyone else to play the game for the exact reasons that you do. I think the stress would make the game less fun. Personally, I would let it go. icon_biggrin.gif

stealyourcache.jpg

Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills

One man gathers what another man spills - St. Stephen (on caching)

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

Chill out man...it's only a game...

Some people will play along, some won't...don't let the ones that won't ruin your enjoyment of the game.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I haven't read what he logged, or what he left behind - but if it is something you don't want in your cache, then just go get it out.

Ya gotta realize some people aren't going to go out of their way to make sure they know the rules of a particular cache. Many people will just download a handful of caches to their GPSr at once, and then just go finding them - not reading or printing the sometimes detailed descriptions.

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

Most themed caches don't stay themed very long without owner maintenance - Just gotta keep close watch on them. And if they didn't do enough research to see an easier route, that's half the fun. Done that myself.

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

[This message was edited by pater47 on July 23, 2002 at 12:58 PM.]

[This message was edited by pater47 on July 23, 2002 at 08:18 PM.]

SunShine,

I, Majicman, the Mirthmaker, am deeply saddened over your loss and wish to send you electronically a basketful of hugs, and a bowlful of kisses... but the slobber in it effects my network cable (sorry...)

Instead, may I wish upon you a cornucopia of correct booty-nuggets (themed perfectly to each cache) and a plethora of pleasant surprises in those caches you seek!

icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

P.S. You were great in the chat last night!

--majicman

The theme thing doesn't always work out, just part of the game (or hobby). I can relate to the shortcut frustration though. One of my caches is a really easy walk (a quarter mile) and easier find but somebody discovered that parking at the weigh scale just off the freeway put you within 25 yards. So what's the point. Honk your horn and I'll run the cache right to your window! You need never get up off your *ss. I'm planning on shelving the cache altogether anyway though. I only placed it to get my foot in the door on a new trail. I want to make it either a multi or multi-night cache.

You can change the theme of your cache to "Find the laziest way to get here cache". icon_razz.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

SunLight,

One of the local theme cache hiders (Oklahoma - "Patriot Games" and "Smile - The Happy Cache") says this, "Don't worry if you don't have a proper trade item for the theme, just trade (equal value please) and I will occasionally remove non-theme items and move to other caches, replacing with proper theme items!

I like that!

--majicman

You seem to assume that everyone that visits YOUR cache will have planned it to the nth degree. With printouts from YOUR cache, maps to YOUR cache, a suitable collection of themed trade items for YOUR cache, etc. Lighten up a bit!

Very seldom do I go on a cache spree without hunting a few that I know nothing about other than there GC# that was downloaded into my GPSr. Heaven forbid I should find a themed cache and not have a politically correct trade item. Geesh icon_rolleyes.gif

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

What was "geocaching" again?

Amid all this forum posting I forgot what it is I'm supposed to be doing..........

That's what I'm talking about! I got my new Garmin V (replacing the III+) and I haven't even tried it yet! I did let it show me how to get to work, but I already knew the way. It's fun to watch it recalculate when I go a different way.....

I've met the G-cacher you're referring to and he's a great guy, so I'm sure he meant no harm. My bet is that he left Wheresgeorge bills, which are his trademark. He's also a bit of a celebrity among NJ cachers. Consider yourself lucky if you meet him on the trail.

Seriously, chill out over this. This stuff happens. All caches degrade over time. Theme caches seem to take a little longer to do so, but they do. Repeated maintenance is the key.

Also, in the defense of the cacher you're referring to and others who may make the same mistake; many experienced cachers just download waypoints to their GPS and don't even read the cache page, so they may not be aware of a theme

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I'm with Brian here for sure... don't speak too quickly before you lose some of the best points of the game. A theme cache is great but you can't expect it to stay that way... if you are counting on that you might as well quit now. Cachers like the one you seem to be referring to are who we can thank for the spread of the game enough for us all to be able to take part (in both the hiding and seeking) He's the best... don't knock till you know icon_smile.gif

ooops...and he's a celebrity in more than NJ ;-)

I second the "chill out."

I hope you don't blow a cork when someone visits and takes 3 or 4 good items and then leaves 1 piece of junk.

Caches degrade over time.

I also agree theme caches are neat but I am not always going to have something to leave. Locally in NJ Where's George$ are great. If I ever do a theme cache I will also put a few WG$ for those to swap without needing the proper trading types. I always try to start the cache with one I obtained before.

I find it perfectly acceptable to trade WG$ for and item and vice versa. If I took a themed item and left a WG$, you as cache owner could take the WG$ use it to buy another themed item to restock cache.

My 2 cents.

I didn't intend that sentence to be a whine about having to drive a mile down a dirt road. Should I have placed a smiley after it? Maybe. I thought it would be amusing to show what happens when you don't take two seconds to look at a street map. If you wanted me to edit that out, send e-mail and I'll do just that.

As for the cache items, I'm sorry if the trades I made did not meet your expectations. I was sure I traded fairly or better than fairly (and in some of the caches, left something for nothing) but if it bothers you to such an extent, by all means take the WG bills and use them to get more themed items. I don't mean to tell you what to do with your caches but all the themed caches I've visited so far have contained a selection of non-theme items for non-theme trading. Perhaps you should consider doing that.

My very first cache was a military themed cache. Toy army men, vehicles, etc. Some Einstein decided to put in a little bottle of blue ice, that stuff you freeze and put in the igloo cooler when you go to the beach. Then later someone emptied the blue stuff into the cache and ruined its contents. Maybe there was a military theme to all that (destroying stuff), but I didn't see it. Best to just weed out the non theme stuff every so often when you visit the cache.