Camelbak question

Quick question for others who have Camelbaks. My girlfriend and I each just got one for geocaching and hiking. When filling them up, is there any better way than to take out the entire reservoir including the attached hose? It's not that difficult, but I was thinking I could just disconnect the hose, fill up the reservoir and stick it in the fridge. Of course, the water just keep coming out of the bottom of the bladder without the hose attached!

Thanks.

While we are on the subject of Camelbaks can I ask if anyone has any neat little tricks on getting the reservoir dried out easily? Just bought a Trail Blazer last night and I can see that sitting damp for any length of time could be a problem.

Re the current subject, the delivery tube appears to be a standard size that is usually found in laboratory supply companies so all sorts of fitting etc. should be readily available.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

On long dayhikes where I have to refill my camelback, and on backpacking trips, I just pull the mouthpiece off and fill the bladder through the drinking tube using the pumping action of my water filter. (The tube fits perfectly on the ouput nipple of my filter) Seems to work good, but you have to be careful about overfilling.

For drying, I use the camelbak dryer. Works great. If you don't dry them out right away after use, and clean them properly they're prone to making the water taste pretty bad.

Camelbak makes all the things you ask about. You may need to look at themilitary accessories for the quick disconnect.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

RE: Filling

I pull the bladder out with the tube still connected and in the pack. It's long enough so the pack can sit on the counter while I fill the bladder with ice and water.

I see no reason why you couldn't put it in the refrigerator. In fact Camelbaks site mentions that (last question in that section).

SIDE NOTE: There a cool demonstration showing how tough the bladder is.

RE: Cleaning

While I'm not recommending you leave it full for months at a time, IMO it's really not necessary to clean it every week when you're using it regularly. Only if you're going to store it for a long period of time should you break it down clean it, and dry it. Even when used regularly a cleaning every 4 or 5 months can't hurt. I clean mine a few times a year and have never had bad tasting water. Every weekend before heading out I simply open it, rinse it out with clean water (tube too), and refill it with ice and water.

The newer Omega Camelbaks have opening about 4 times the size of older models, and are made to be easily filled without removal.

I have an old-style Camelbak as well, and used to freeze it all the time. I'd fill it about 2/3 the way full with Power-ade, take out as much air as possible, and lay it flat in the freezer. Bend the top of it over a bit, so there's no fluid in contact with the cap. I'd take it out of the freezer and let it sit on the counter for 15 or 20 minutes. I could then break the ice into large chunks, and fill it the rest of the way to the top with cold Power-ade. Stays cold for hours that way.

3608_2800.gif

As Desert_Warrior stated, CamelBak makes everything you need for a quick-disconnect bladder. Use a HydroLink on the hose.

You may have to clamp the hose on a bite valve/hydrolink fitting. Not sure if they make a male hose to male hydrolink fitting.

CamelBak HydroLink

"Welcome to reality!......visit again soon."

[This message was edited by oregonature on May 24, 2003 at 09:00 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by bdub13:

If you don't want to buy a drying hanger from camelbak, just take an old wire coat hanger, and bend it to fit in the camelbak. The hook is a nice built in way to hang the whole contraption.

This worked pretty well for me, but I learned to use an unpainted coat hanger; over time little paint chips came off in the bladder from the first hanger I used.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

i got a K2 hydro pack i like it and its really easy to refill..... i put it in the fridge the night before i go and just put it in the pack and its ready to go .... camelbaks are way too expensive!!!!!!!! its a bag with a tube........... take a 2 liter bottle and make a hose that comes out and your set.................................,,..,,..,,but they do come in handy

Ignorance is no excuse!!!! Your never lost your always right there.... Its never tomorow its always today...

As far as cleaning, I have found the following procedure works well:

Insert 2 or 3 wadded up paper towels into the bladder

Replace cap

Blow up the bladder from the drinking tube

Shake well

Remove cap

Remove paper towels

Dry Camelbak!

Jpjazz

[This message was edited by Jpjazz on May 28, 2003 at 06:38 PM.]

I too didn't want to pay for the hanger, and thought that a metal hanger would be bad when in contact with water.

So I scoured the kitchen and came up with something unlikely, but works very well...a pasta spoon.

The spoon and its forks hold the bottom open wide enough to dry, and I just hook the bite tip in the bottom of the bladder and hang it outside for a few hours. Dries up just fine.

Brian

Team A.I.

I was just in a recently opened REI store in Boston. They sell driers for camelbacks, and I think they sell some kind of ice cube trays. I one bought an ice cube tray which made cylindrical ice cubes which could be put into a water bottle. I bought this at the local grocery store. Perhaps you can check the REI web site or camalbak's site

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_rolleyes.gif

I used to use the camelback but have made the jump to Platypus. The bladders are MUCH cheaper (I think about $15). I keep mine filled at all times in my SAR pack and change the water every week or so. It has never given me any problems. The Platypus also has a small opening that can be capped with a 2L soda cap.

We use BlackHawk medical backpacks at work for providing EMS at a NFL statium. These bags include camelback systems and we have since started to convert to Platypus as the camelbacks come up for replacement.