USB Serial Adapter's

akl

Hello,

I know there are previous posts on this topic but when I try to search I get "Word search is disabled while maintence is taking place". I have a laptop (running Windows XP) with no serial ports and Garmin V, so I bought a Belkin F5U103 USB Serial Adapter. It appears the laptop has accepted the adapter. The problem is when I try to transfer data to the GPS I get an error saying the GPS is not responding, make sure it is plugged in, turned on or in the Garmin or host interface. Mapsource is able to find the GPS and knows that its a Garmin V. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

icon_confused.gif

That the software and the GPSr are talking a different language?

Make sure both are set to GARMIN-GARMIN, or NMEA-NMEA, or some compatable combination. Also, check the BAUD RATES.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Aki - I just bought the same serial adapter and I also have been having problems. Both ExpertGPS and GPS Trackmaker have recognized the port and GPS receiver, but I usually have problems halfway through a waypoint download. I've messed with Baud rates, buffers, and port #'s to no avail. Like you, I am hoping that someone at this forum might be able to help.

- Trailkat icon_confused.gif

Trailkat

That is the same problems. I am able to get some information from the GPS through Mapsource such as type of GPS, software version and ID#. When downloading to the GPS with Mapsource Info. I can never get past 14%.

I'm driving across country from Maine to Oregon and was hoping to be able to download routes and maps to my GPS.

From reading past posts, I know people have gotten it to work, hopefully one of them will read this and be willing to help us out.

icon_confused.gif

FYI: Someone gave me a PCI serial card which I installed on my PC. It works great with my Etrex Venture. I returned my Belkin USB serial adapter.

For those who don't have the option of installing a serial port and you have the Belkin adapter, I would suggest calling Belkin direct about what to do to remedy the communication problem during downloads.

- Trailkat icon_redface.gif

I saw this problem described in a Yahoo group too, where I responded, but what the...

I've had the same problem with my Sony Vaio and the Port Gear USB <-> serial converter from Xircom, which I use with that machine.

But I assumed immediately that it was a voltage problem, since the 3 VDC power in my Vista can't give the proper voltage levels as the RS 232C specification requires. The specs say that a logical low (zero) is represented by a voltage of between +3 VDC and +15 VDC, something an eTrex unit just barely can meet.

A logical high (one) should be represented by a woltage of -3 VDC to -15VDC, which the eTrex can't handle at all.

Now some devices use the time framing of the RS232C specification, but uses TTL voltage levels. That can work too, but it does require that either both ends do the same, or that one end is strong enough to drive the other one up to a proper level. That doesn't seem to be the case with all these USB converters, but is usually true for stationary computers.

USB adapters are more often used with portable units, where they try to save as much power as possible.

I had big problems downloading maps to my unit, unless I had new alkaline batteries inside it. When I tried an external supply, to make sure it lasted during a long download, I had big problems. But since I've had the same problem before, with other devices, I suspected what I described above. Since I use a laboratory power supply with my eTrex when it's connected to the computer, I simply turned the voltage up a little. That seems to give the required margin, because now it works every time.

I run it at 3.15 - 3.25 VDC, instead of the nominal 3.00 VDC.

I may add that after using that power supply for a more urgent need, I did set the voltage again when I reconnected it to the Vista. A map download attempt did run, but at 9600 baud only. It told me it would last for about nine hours. I checked with my DMM, and it turned out I had set the voltage to 2.97 VDC. That supply has a rather inaccurate voltmeter. Turned it up to 3.17 VDC, and it worked ever since.

Another thing is to use a flake of a pencil eraser and clean the contacts on the GPS. The eTrex connector can quite easily connect some dust or oxidation, if you've been running outdoors with it. If you haven't, why did you buy it?? icon_wink.gif

Anders

On my laptop (ibm thinkpad r31) I use the garmin usb adapter.

Garmin Order Number: 010-10310-00

That works super...made a com 4 port all by itself (after getting the updated drivers for XP)...and worked in about 3 minutes like a charm.

Only thing is that some of the software I use only have a comport selection up to com 2...so that has to go threw my desktop....

I can't answer that. Maybe I should have said that something was missing to run the serial to USB. I had no auto detect and after manual configuration I still couldn't transfer waypoints in or out of the Emap. After I updated Mapsource it auto detects and downloads perfect with no problem. I'm using a Keyspan adaptor because it allows me to use a seperate cable, but I also have a IO Gear adaptor that wouldn't work until I updated. The version history is on the Mapsource download page, but I didn't care to study it. I just wanted to be able to run the GPS through my laptop.

I had the same problem with my wifes new laptop. It would say the USB/Serial adaptor was working, but it wouldn't recognize anything when I tried to communicate with it. Turns out it had been set at Comm 9 which none of the software would recognize. Once I set it to comm 1 it worked fine. I also had some problems with the baud rate. It seems each program wants a different speed. With National Geographics Topo the faster the better. With Streets and trips it wants 4800 only. Go figure.

Lost? Keep Going. Your making good time anyway!!

I have the Belkin F5U-109 (USB->Serial) and it works with everything bu the Vista. I can read data from the Vista to the Sony VAIO, but not from the laptop to the Vista.

The F5U-109 is said to be Belkin's latest and greatest, but this is really a pain.

I have adjusted the flow rates without success. The device is COM4.

Any help is appreciated. ;)

...The problem is when I try to transfer data to the GPS I get an error saying the GPS is not responding, make sure it is plugged in, turned on or in the Garmin or host interface....

I had a similar problem with my Rinos earlier this year. I could download but not upload. After much trial & error, I discovered it only happened when I was trying to upload my tracks (I think.). I cleared out the tracks and it has worked since. I figure the data must of gotten corrupted somehow in my GPS.

I've got a Meridian Platinum and I recently bought an IOGear USB to RS232 serial adapter for my Sony VAIO, running Win XP, and I can't seem to get it to work correctly. I've checked all the settings and have even tried changing the baud rate but everytime I use EasyGPS to load my GPSr with any waypoint(s) my PC restarts. Can anyone Help. I looked through this forem to see of any similar solutions to no avail. Thanks,

Brickwall

UPDATE: I spoke with the one of the peeps at Garmin, who offered some suggestions, but acknowledged that they may (or may not) work. The first was changing the device to COM1 (or 2), which did not help. I also turned off some of the running stuff (in the background) and that did not help.

She said that some USB-->RS232 adapters work better than others, but that the problem lies with the time needed to create an index, then send maps to the Vista. One method that she said works every time is to use a "PC Card" Serial adapter (i.e., Quatech or similar) because that creates a "real' serial port, rather than converting from USB to RS232. She said she has never heard of any problems using that method. She also added that Garmin's converter is a bit expensive, although I do not know what they sell for. The Quatech units are about $150.00, but appear to be quite solid and reliable; not sure if I will spend the money for one of those yet.

Awwww, what the heck.... I have already spent money on the Vista and the VAIO.... what's another $150.00? :)

OK.... here is an update on my experiences with Serial Port adapters:

Before paying more than $150.00 for the Quatech PC Card-->Serial adapter, I did more searching and found something similar from StarTech.com; it is their CB2S650 CardBus 32-bit adapter, which includes a dual-port detachable cable. The best price I could find was from Page Computer ($63.02 shipped), so I ordered one shortly after posting my above post. Three days later, the part arrived and I installed it as COM1 and COM2 within a few minutes (the poorly written manual is a worthless 5.5x8.5" folded paper that provides little valuable information, so I just plugged in the device and let it load the drivers from the enclosed CD-ROM). I am using Windows XP Home on a Sony VAIO FRV37 notebook computer.

I first tested it with my Yaesu VX-7R on COM1 using the VX-& Commander program; read and write operations went flawlessly after slowing the Xmit and Rcve buffers (this is OK and normal for the VX-7 program).

Next, I connected the Vista via the combination 12VDC/Serial cable to the device's COM2 port. Reading from the GPS to MapSource was a fast and simple procedure (which worked before with the Belkin adapter as well). Sending a large (23.5 MB) file to the Vista worked equally well, although writing takes considerably longer than reading.

This is $63.02 very well spent, and I am pleased with the device.

CB2S650.small.jpg

I have the IO/Gear or at least I think that it what it was. I threw the packaging away and it doesn't say on it. But it is a USB to 9 pin serial, mouse port, and keyboard port. Works great, paid $20.00 for it. The only problem I had was stupid and simple, just change the port to port #5. Could not find that until I found the item in Device manager and told me it was on port 5. Works great

murph

I ended up goingabout the same route as Overland1 did. I got a PCMCIA serial card. I paid a bit more then $65, but I when with a brand I had heard of for other things and I wanted to avoid getting someting that had no support. I think with shippng and a ruggized unit I paid $140 for my socket.com card :(

It has worked flawlessly since day one. ONly thing this killed for me was the inital plan of using my PMCICA slat for a Spring Vision Air Card for wireless internet while traveling, looks like Ill have the phone plugged int the USB instead. Just more crap dangeling off the puter.

-Robert

This probably will not address the problem, but since everyone is talking about serial ports, USB ports, Garmin, etc. I wanted to put this in the back of people's brains for future reference. No one needs a sleepless night like I had (even though I wasn't feeling well anyway).

It was getting to the point I was going to have to get irate at my computer manufacturer or see if ther was a Garmin USB cable available.

I was getting really frustrated because I couldn't use my Serial Port and my GPS unit. My Resolution Assistant said there was no Serial Port there !but I could see it there! so I checked the BIOS and tried both automatic detection and dedicating the Com Port. Still nothing.

I did some searches on the Garmin web site and finally found that with PDAs they completely block non-PDA communication. Here is the statement from http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp?faq=41 :

"Q. I cannot establish communication through my PC serial port to my GPS but my PDA connects fine, what can be the problem?

A. The most common issue is interference from one of the various synchronization programs used with PDAs (Personal Digital Assistants, i.e. Palm Pilot). Please ensure that the "sync" program (ex. HotSync, TrueSync, ActiveSync) is disabled.

Synchronization programs will block all communication through the serial port that is not a PDA device. You can disable the program by going to the task bar (bottom right corner of the Windows Start bar) and right clicking on the sync program icon (typically two arrows that form a circle) and selecting exit. You can restart the program after the GPS download is complete by clicking on the Start button of the Windows Start bar and then Programs and the appropriate folder. "

In my case, I had to uninstall ActiveSync to get my PC to communicate with my GPS.

Maybe this isn't your problem, but I had a world of trouble and found my Garmin Data cable bad. A new one fixed that problem, but I have to make sure the right serial port is selected almost every time I boot up. If I leave the Belkin or Keyspan adapters plugged into the USB port and the device cable (GPS and Palm) they seem to keep the port #. Matching port #s has been my problem and solution. Lou