Hints, Tips and Embarrassing Experiences

Paul and Judith said in another thread:

Oh yeah - handy hint for finding caches:- If you have fiddled with the GPSr to see what else it can do before setting off on a days caching, make sure you set the datum back to WGS84 - otherwise you end up in someones garden!

I would add: Make sure that the OS map you put in your bag, is the one that covers the area you're going to icon_redface.gif.

Anyone else willing to share those red-face moments with us all?

I came, I cached, I fell over in the mud

quote:

When you climb up a hill to a virtual, make sure you either know the details you are supposed to get or take the cache page with you. It saves you sending off a triumphant description of what you found only to be gently told, yes, but that wasn't what I asked for, and then having to change your smug found it log for a note........

........Long Distance Call yesterday!

dodgydaved

I'm NOT lost, I know exactly where I am, I'm here!

My 'top tips' would be:

Don't spend ages looking for a cache at the parking co-ordinates. It is very unlikely you'll find it there.

Always mark the car's location before you leave it. And call the waypoint 'CAR' so you don't spend too long navigating to the recommended parking, only to discover the car isn't there.

Neil says Double check your coordinates. The number of times I've made him search the wrong area...

I'll get me coat

If you are planning to do several caches in one day and have all the print-outs to hand, it's a good idea to make sure you are looking at the correct sheet for a)parking co-ords and :D encrypted clue! There are few things more frustrating than decrypting the clue and having it tell you to look behind an large ivy-covered tree when you are looking at a big hedge with NO TREES in sight! icon_biggrin.gif It's only when you get back to the car after having admitted defeat and then realise your error that you get that warm tingly feeling creeping across your cheeks and around your ears!! icon_redface.gificon_razz.gif

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

What Trolls?

Before leaving on a cache trip, make sure that you check the website for new caches just before you go out the door. It's dead annoying to get home and find someone placed a new cache a mile from where you've just been, and it was only published 1/2 an hour before you left !

Happened to me 3 times now...

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

..A couple of things. My girlfriend read out the co-ordinates once and we started to follow the arrow on the GPS machine but I knew something was wrong - I asked the machine to show me the map and it was located in Outer Mongolia! Seriously, I didn`t even know that country really existed! Yes - she read out the co-ords wrongly, or maybe I typed them in wrongly!

Also, anyone found a great, peaceful, pleasant spot in which to hide a cache only to find a lot of single men milling around?! Hmmm? That was a bit of a shock for me but one to be aware of!

Tc

Where`s the nearest pub?! :-)

quote:
Originally posted by Paul G0TLG:

If you find a nice pencil case, notebook and pencil sharpener in a cache that would do nicely for the nipper for school, don't wait until you get back to the car before you realise why it was that you couldn't find the log book in the cache.

Well it was only our fourth cache. We are smarter than that now - just.

Alex.

---------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

I've lost count of the number of times we've got ended up in the wrong place.

My main problem is not reading the instructions properly. Even after 180 odd finds I still managed to do this again just a week or so ago.

Really, it makes things so much more interesting.

We also have maps but hardly ever use them because they're so huge - they must be 6 feet square and printed on both sides. Who on earth decided that was a good idea?

Some of the funnier moments are here:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/geotravers/

I must agree with MaryE on the point about not finding caches in the car park. Except it took me about 20 minutes to realise and I had left the print out at home. GRRR.

Also...

Sometimes you must first go left before you can go right. This one I always find difficult to stomach and normally results in me offroading.

It does not matter how dead the prickly thing is, it will still hurt. I am developing a nice scar on my left shin to proove this thanks to Southampton Water large.

If you stuff some of the cache contents into your pocket so they don't blow away while you're writing the log, check your pockets before you get back to the car so you don't have to walk all the way back again to replace them.

And... I make a point of taking the waypoint of the car before setting off. Only trouble is - I always forget.

The trouble with the world today is that everyone makes sweeping generalisations.

During or limited time partaking in this hobby:-

"Paul and Judith said in another thread:

Oh yeah - handy hint for finding caches:- If you have fiddled with the GPSr to see what else it can do before setting off on a days caching, make sure you set the datum back to WGS84 - otherwise you end up in someones garden!"

Yep, we've (I've?) been there, done that!

We also recommend the following:-

1. Remember when doing calculations that there are 60 degrees in a minute. icon_mad.gif

2. Check offsprings calculations of 'number of letter 'E's, X's' etc VERY carefully. icon_mad.gif

3. Ensure sufficient 'Rest Room' breaks are en-route for previously mentioned offspring who have spent all day drinking water from sports bottles. icon_mad.gif

4. When letting offspring 'open the box' (while you fill in the log book) please look in the box yourself too - you may find a camera or TB in the box that has not gained their attention. icon_mad.gif

5. We concur with the others who have mentioned marking a waypoint for where the car is parked - DO NOT FORGET TO DO THIS. icon_redface.gif

6. Ground anyone who says 'Are we there yet?' icon_smile.gif

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

[This message was edited by Motley Crew on May 19, 2003 at 05:03 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Mancunian Pyrocacher:

A most helpful tip! When finding a nice carpark within fifty feet of the cache, make sure it don't have a barrier with a big big padlock. Just to leave you standing there with a Red face waiting for someone to come along and unlock it so you can get out. icon_redface.gif

If in doubt, try to park your car in a place that stops them getting the gate shut. icon_smile.gif

alex.

---------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

Embarrassing Cache Tip:

When chasing a FoxHunt cache, think carefully about the projected route.

When doing the CIN Fox Hunt last year, we drove halfway around southern England, from Winchester, to Havant, to Staines only to realise that the Fox had passed us heading in the other direction. Full mileage came to about 350.

We eventually caught up with him less than a mile away from home.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif