Session expired - Need to log in again

For the past few weeks, I get the message that my session has expired. It happens once every week.   I need to login again into the Geocaching app.  This is quite annoying I have never had that before. If this is an intentional feature then why??? It is not that I have any sensitive information stored in my geocaching app.

App version:  9.50.0

Android 14 (all updates to OS installed)

• Upvote 1

This suddenly started happening recently, more than once a week and it's incredibly frustrating. My downloaded caches disappear whenever this happens, sometimes while I'm driving to a remote hike without cell service. In addition, it changes my default settings like save as draft, so I've posted several logs that were meant to just be notes.

• Upvote 2

I'm having a similar issue. My Android version is 10 and the Geocaching App is 9.50.0. I don't get a message about an expired session, I just get logged out when I'm trying to look at a cache or doing something I've done many times before. All of a sudden I'm logged out and all my downloaded lists are deleted. (Whoever decided to delete downloaded lists when you log out is an idiot.) This has happened 3 times, twice on 5/7 and once yesterday (5/11). These are the last 2 days I've been out geocaching and all three times I've been in no cell service areas, which basically ruined my planned days of caching. Please fix this! I just updated the geocaching app to 9.51.0 - I hope this fixes the problem.

• Upvote 2

This happened a second time, and all offline data (as well as settings, filters, etc.) were deleted. This is terrible and all of a sudden I did not have my caches when I went offline. This is terrible. Tip: The app should never suddenly delete offline data for any reason, this is really bad programming. Can we get an update when this is going to be fixed?

• Upvote 1

There was an issue that has since been fixed that was causing this. If you are continuing to experience it, I would recommend clearing out your app data. If it persists after that, please post here so that the engineers can know to investigate further.

It happened again to me yesterday, twice, running 9.51.0 on Android 10. I haven't cleared my app data yet (I'm doing it now). So once again, not only is this annoying, when you get logged out ALL you downloaded lists and settings get deleted. I've said this before and I'll say it again - this is stupidity, there is absolutely no conceivable reason for doing this other than lazy programming. Actually I don't think it's lazy programming, it's stupid programming because these actions had to be programmed in. PLEASE FIX THESE. And yes I'm shouting.

• Upvote 1

Yes - Android 10. Yes - Google app store for latest update. Otherwise APKMirror.com for older versions. It looks like 9.52 was just released today. But, of course, no mention of what's fixed.

I just want to be able to go caching like I've done for years, without worrying about getting logged out for no reason. I guess I will download the next older version (9.47.1) and store it in my android, and install this newest update and see what happens. I can always uninstall the newer version app and then install the older version out in the field.

Posted (edited)

I cleared all the data on my app and am still having the same problem. I am running version 9.52.0 of the Geocaching app on an Android phone (version 14). I'm planning on caching offline this weekend, so any help is appreciated. 

Edited by streudelz1222
Adding information

streudelz12222,

I'm not sure how much help I can give you. I'm running Android 10 and geocaching version 9.52.0. Included my hike on May 26 I've been out 5 times - 4 of them were offline and I've had no further issues with getting logged out.

I originally had the logout issue with 9.50 and then 9.51, then I downgraded to 9.48 (there was no 9.49 on apkmirror). Sometime in there I also cleared all my data, but I still experienced the logout issue. Then on May 24 the new version (9.52) was released. I installed it over 9.48 and I haven't had a logout since.

So probably not very helpful, but hat's my experience.

*This has been happening to me a couple of times a week, including today (while on a hike with spotty service).  I am running 9.52 on Androidv 14.  All settings reset, all downloaded lists deleted, all draft logs deleted  and logged out.    It doesn't happen if I stay offline.  It's really  frustrating.   I will try clearing app data and see if that helps.  

Posted (edited)

For me it is still happening as well.  On version 9.53.0 on Android phone. And yes, I only install from the Google App store.

Quite annoying as I was out of cell connection and could no longer log in and thus could not access my offline maps and offline lists.

Edited by Its_Dozzie

I have been experiencing this constantly the past few days.

It would not be as big of an issue, but I am in the Wyoming back country, and I am wholly reliant on offline lists. Well, guess what gets zapped when the app logs you out.

App version 9.53.0, Android version 14.

This has been happening to me most  times I open the app for the past month, irrespective of I've been using it that day or not.  I have a pixel 7 pro and my app version is 9.54.  it's annoying to have to reset all the personal preferences each time.   First major issue I've had with geocaching generally ( other than DNFs, 😆 ).  

Happening to me too for a few months now. Today I Googled the problem and it led me to this thread. Very annoying as I can't access many of the app's features without being signed in. PS - I am using version 9.53.0

Edited by igetaround

Yesterday I updated to version 9.54.0. This fixed the problem - I now stayed logged in on my Android phone. To test it I logged a cache, exited the app, and restarted the phone. I have also restarted the app several times over the last 24 hours. Each time I started the app I was logged in. So good to have this fixed.

I've been banging the drum for this issue at HQ since it appeared. The devs are well aware and working on it. One possible temporary fix is to switch away from the Trails map type. There is some evidence that timeouts when attempting to pull in tiles for that mapset may be causing the log out.

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

I've been banging the drum for this issue at HQ since it appeared. The devs are well aware and working on it. One possible temporary fix is to switch away from the Trails map type. There is some evidence that timeouts when attempting to pull in tiles for that mapset may be causing the log out.

Thank you for your efforts.  As I reported elsewhere, it did it to me in the middle of nowhere while I was in the middle of a multistage cache. Iirc there used to be a way to get offline map data as well a offline cache data.  If the issue is really about map tiles, is it still possible to get map data offline? 

• Helpful 1

I've been struggling with this constantly for the past month - as mentioned, if it didn't delete all my downloaded caches and map tiles when it logs you out I wouldn't mind nearly as much. It definitely seems to be unstable network related - it often logs out while trying to load in the map. The problem is that the only way to have the map downloaded (and the only map type that can save is Trails) is to have your downloaded lists... I've also had it happen while on airplane mode, for what it's worth. Even without cache data, I would desperately like to have a way to save the map for offline use like Google maps can do - the trails one is often the only map I have that shows the track I'm on and I don't like having to turn back for fear of getting lost. 

• Upvote 1
On 7/3/2024 at 10:38 AM, Moun10Bike said:

One possible temporary fix is to switch away from the Trails map type. There is some evidence that timeouts when attempting to pull in tiles for that mapset may be causing the log out.

I took this advice and switched over to the street map, and for the past few days, I have not been logged out like I was in June. 

I have yet to see how being completely offline would affect this, as unless I'm mistaken, the offline lists save the trails map. Once I'm done with my cache run this weekend, maybe I'll try putting the phone in airplane mode and see what happens.

I have to point out that this "feature" is dangerous! And I mean it literally!

I headed towards a cache in another municipality by choosing the cache from a list stored to cachetur.no. It shows the cache in Geocaching app and I start navigation. But because the cache is not in my current vicinity I select the Google Maps navigation. Everything goes smoothly until I am close to the cache and switch back to Geocaching app to finalize the navigation. At this point the app occasionally throws me out claiming session expiration. This is not a big thing if I am walking in the forest but if I am driving in the middle of a roundabout and suddenly loose navigation, it really is a potentially hazardous situation! I have experienced this exact scene and a few similar scenarios.

I have experienced similar navigation failure also when steering my boat. The boat is small and the waves may be big. In that kind of situation I don't have free hands to suddenly safely log in to app! Luckily I remember my password by heart but you should not count on that in case of everybody and every situation.

I think this odd behavior of the Geocaching app may relate to running it at background. It cancels the session if either the geographical distance or elapsed time between deactivation and reactivation is too long. In any case this hazardous "feature" should be fixed without a delay.