Concensus sought

Tim & June

This subject has been raised in another thread but I guess it needed to be a separate topic. It has been discussed before but perhaps we need to get some new feedback.

The topic of cache advertising has reared it's head again and I guess it's time to get a consensus of opinion.

There was a time that a certain pair of cachers started a new thread every time they placed a new cache. Their enthusiasm became tedious to a number of cachers so a rule was established to prevent this continuing.

The cachers concerned posted other comments about their caches which seemed to some to be a circumvention of that ruling. Since then, they have been approached with a kindly request and now, the issue seems to have settled down.

The situation is that now, there are comments raised each time their caches are mentioned. Perhaps it's time for us to gather responses from contributors to this forum about it.

Given that the forum is predominantly about caching, the topic of any particular cache is bound to be raised, discussed and hopefully light hearted banter will ensue. The question is, where the line is drawn. I agree that most don't want to return to the days of "I've planted a new cache, please go find it" but discussion of caches is the nature of the forum. If any particular cache is raised in conversation in a thread, it is only natural that the cache owner might have some input of value to that conversation.

So, the question has to be :

Are contributors/readers of this forum happy with the current status whereby conversation about any particular cache continues, but we don't want the "go find my new cache" type of posting ?

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

As a relative new-comer to this forum and indeed geocaching, I missed all the earlier stuff you refer to but I suspect that being frequently asked to go visit new caches would probably have the opposite effect and actively deter me from doing so.

On the other hand, to put a blanket ban on the discussion of caches, named or otherwise would be, to say the least, a bit ‘over the top’.

I would suggest that your proposed compromise is about as good as you could hope for and for what it’s worth, has my full support.

John

------------------------------------------------

You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stop playing.

My answer would be yes. Blatant advertising should be banned, but as long as there's some more substantial reason, I think that mentioning one's own caches is perfectly acceptable.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jcmatwf js g wjl, g pjjz ta dgo'a pfam shtfow. Toatwf js g wjl, tm'a mjj wghz mj hfgw. - Lhjcrxj Dghu

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

So, the question has to be :_

Are contributors/readers of this forum happy with the current status whereby conversation about any particular cache continues, but we don't want the "go find my new cache" type of posting ?

If it means that starting threads like this:

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=1500909683&m=3710999935

becomes acceptable, then I would vote no.

Not being allowed to post "here is our new cache" type threads, they post a "Yipee - someone has found our new cache" thread. Same effect - different method.

It's been interesting over the past few months how many different ways that Dan & Pid have found to bring their caches to the attention of readers on the forums.

If a particular cache becomes part of a discussion on the forum, then fine. But to start a thread with the intention of drawing attention to your own caches, then no.

My 2p.

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

So, the question has to be :

Sounds very sensible to me.

Chris

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
Originally posted by Tim and June:

There was a time that a certain pair of cachers started a new thread every time they placed a new cache. Their enthusiasm became tedious to a number of cachers so a rule was established to prevent this continuing

Yes obviously as was said at the time, Sorry about that. Census around this I think has gone a little over the top in terms of this place.....I agree blatent advertising is and should stay banned but congratulating someone on finding a 5 star cache should be perfectly acceptable, upon writing that thread it didn't even cross my mind as to whether people would be annoyed with it, mainly because who I was referring to are the moderators anyway..

What Slytherin said about us trying to bring attention to ove the last few months has not been deliberate attall its just caching talk, Mutual conversation and not meant as advertising...... if it does annoy you I am sorry for that but like as has been said this should be allowed, you cant have a caching forum and be allowed to mention certain caches thats like a business meeting not being allowed to talk about your business.

If it is decided that this isnt allowed then this place will be very hard to write any sort of post in, well for me anyway...

Pid

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

I have no problem with chat about specific caches, even if it is intentional (but subtle) advertising. I also would accept a single, sticky topic specifically for cache announcements.

After all, we're not still in the days of 300bps acoustic modems and we're free simply to ignore anything not of personal interest.

I, for one, was interested and pleased to read about T&J's success (Well Done, BTW). In such a case it would have been fitting for T&J, if they had felt inclined, to initiate a self-congratulatory thread. So why not the cache owner?

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

quote:
Pid said..

If it is decided that this isnt allowed then this place will be very hard to write any sort of post in, well for me anyway...

It seems to me to be OK to talk about other peoples caches. When you, or your pals start a thread about your own caches, then that is advertising. However subtly or in any roundabout way you are still advertising. If someone else mentions your cache, a reply along the lines of ' oh shucks, thanks' is OK. A long and 'Hey, go find our cache' type post is not.

Mind you, it is amusing the way you find new ways to 'subtly' advertise. icon_biggrin.gif

naffita

I'd certainly go along with what's been said already. The status quo seems fine. I don't really think there is any great advantage to advertising your cache anyway. It's not like you win a prize for the most visitors.

Anyway, I would have thought we were a volatile enough group that the moment anyone tried anything too blatant they'd be burnt to a crisp within minutes by the flaming that would ensue! icon_biggrin.gif

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

[This message was edited by kennamatic on November 27, 2002 at 09:58 AM.]

FWIW, to answer the question, yes, the current comments are acceptable to me (sometimes I get bored with the 'here's a cache, but I'm not advertising.....' comments that sometimes show up.

I personally don't see the point of advertising - check the newly placed caches list, check the map for new caches in an area you're interested in, if you're a member run a specific query. I don't need to be told Mr. X has placed a new cache in the forums.

IMHO.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

quote:
Originally posted by Subarite:

I am happy with June & Tim's icon_wink.gif status quo.

Same here, especially the earlier stuff such as "Pictures of Matchstick Men", before the monotony set in. Classics.

On the cache subject - what T&J suggest seems fine to me.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

Stick with what we've come to accept as normal practice now T&J.

I'm no lover of simple advertising but I DO enjoy discussion about particular caches' merits, even if they are new caches.

I've just seen one of D&P's new caches and it looks absolutely fascinating. I'm really looking forward to it as it seems to be very different from the usual run of the mill cache. I've not tried it yet due to lack of time. I only saw it because it's near me. I'd be very happy to learn of similar caches elsewhere in the country that I'd normally miss.

I think what have developed so far is a very sensible, happy medium. Let's keep it so.

Peter

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D:

I'm new to geocaching, and in fact I placed my first cache yesterday. It didn't occur to me to post anything in the forums about it - why would I need to, when it's a bright green blob on the UK map page? Posting to the forum just to advertise a new cache seems like something to be avoided to me.

Very nicely done, Bill icon_wink.gif

--------------------------------------------------

You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stop playing.

To Tim and Junes original question - yes and yes!

I hope the only time I would mention one of my own caches (and I have) is when it has gone walkabout, i.e. been nicked, or I have moved it to a new position because of changed circumstances (e.g. when the platform under which it was hidden was burned down). In each case the purpose is to save people who have downloaded the positions some time ago being misled.

If those who wish to publicise their caches were given a thread expressly for that purpose, then would that stop subtle ads on other threads?

I think so, plus it would provide a single thread "stop press" for JSs type of update stuff, which I agree is necessary and relevant.

I do find it odd that a cache hunt appears unable to discuss the caches.

A separate thread may help.

2p done. icon_smile.gif

Shares in Tupperware? Be a Geocacher!

I suspect a lot of people wouldn't bother reading the cache-advert thread, which would make it useless for important "stop presses". For the same reason, I'm not sure that it would stop people trying to bring up their caches in other threads, but it would be interesting to try it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jcmatwf js g wjl, g pjjz ta dgo'a pfam shtfow. Toatwf js g wjl, tm'a mjj wghz mj hfgw. - Lhjcrxj Dghu

quote:
If those who wish to publicise their caches were given a thread expressly for that purpose, then would that stop subtle ads on other threads?

I agree this would ultimatly stop the threads from proceeeding adverts but at the end of the day are they actually stopping the process completly? Some people dont want another thread to look at.....thats the whole point..

Another forum completly for adverts is solely the answer.....why not just congregate there to look at adverts if you enjoy looking at them...

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

[This message was edited by Geo Weasel on November 27, 2002 at 03:43 PM.]

Have just read all the above after getting home from work icon_wink.gif Well i can honestly say I havn't attempted to get my cache names in wherever possible in the recent months, i would like to see some examples? I learnt my lesson about that a month after joining the forum when i was quite bluntly told to stop it (at which point I had no idea there was a problem icon_wink.gif ) so I did and have been extremely carefull ever since! anyway, I personaly do not see any problem with a cache name being mentioned. I think its pathetic that people have to worry about naming a cache in a topic, as long as it isn't - 'MY NEW CACHE COME AND GET IT' why not tell people which caches you enjoyed etc this is a forum for people to talk in so lets talk icon_smile.gif I'm totally with Tim and June and all the others on this, saying the way it is is fine. I would like to see conversation more flowing though. In my view it would make for a more interesting and educational forum for all.

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
I hope the only time I would mention one of my own caches (and I have) is when it has gone walkabout, i.e. been nicked, or I have moved it to a new position because of changed circumstances

In that case, a quick note: "The Lock" in Newbury is no longer accessible, due to a locked gate being fitted (of course, if you're mad, like D & P, you could try swimming!)

Paul

Team Blitz

No, I gave YOU the spare batteries....

The forums @ geocacheuk.com has a seperate section for cache announcements

Mike with a broken arm

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

Wqablz-xqxw tdqml kwfwm twjowcl di klelqklqok ejw hepw gt dm lbw ktdl!

26 27.75 34.2(recuring) 41.09275 480.048 55.027777777(carrys on!) 62.01749271

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz (Michael):

Mike with a broken arm

Not brought about by a geocaching accident I hope?

Rich

_mobilis in mobili_

nah, just fell over...we would have found burial mound...honest!

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

Wqablz-xqxw tdqml kwfwm twjowcl di klelqklqok ejw hepw gt dm lbw ktdl!

26 27.75 34.2(recuring) 41.09275 480.048 55.027777777(carrys on!) 62.01749271