Superteam Challenge

Would anyone be interested in a bit of ‘competitive’ geocaching?

What I had in mind was a ‘Superteam Challenge’ running along the following lines:

1) Each ‘Superteam’ would consist of at least 3 teams or individuals (no upper limit). These constituent teams or individuals must be registered with gc.com in their own right.

2) At least one active member of each constituent team must be present at the finding of a cache for that cache to credited to the Superteam. (Taking another team’s dog along doesn’t count)

3) Any caches claimed as a find by the Superteam must not have been previously found by any of the constituent teams.

All clear so far...?

4) When a cache has been found by the Superteam and logged as a find by each of the constituent teams in the normal way, the total number of ‘stars’ that the cache rates (difficulty + terrain) is added to the Superteam's total. (Only once, not once per constituent team)

5) No limit to the number of ‘expeditions’ providing rule (sorry, guideline icon_wink.gif) 2 is adhered to.

6) The challenge to run between two predetermined dates and the Superteam with the highest total of stars at the finish will be declared the winner.

If it takes off, we’ll probably need the help of someone with a website who would be willing to act as ‘controller’. Each Superteam would register there and e-mail the controller when a cache is found. The controller would check that each constituent team had logged the cache on cg.com and then update that Superteam’s total. The Superteams, team members and totals displayed on an accessible web page.

Ideally the finish should coincide with a ‘bash’ of some sort with a token prize for the winning Superteam.

OK... that’s the idea. What do you think? (Or has this been done already?)

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

4) When a cache has been found by the Superteam and logged as a find by each of the constituent teams in the normal way, the total number of ‘stars’ that the cache rates (difficulty + terrain) is added to the Superteam's total.

That's no different from the idividuals' scoring system on Navicache. I can't see the point in making it competetive, myself. Just do it for the sake of doing it.

There are too many people trying to impose rules and structure, and assume some kind of authority as it is.

quote:

4) When a cache has been found by the Superteam and logged as a find by each of the constituent teams in the normal way, the total number of ‘stars’ that the cache rates (difficulty + terrain) is added to the Superteam's total.

That's no different from the idividuals' scoring system on an alternative site that I previously tried to mention by name (starting with N and ending with avicache). I can't see the point in making it competetive, myself. Just do it for the sake of doing it.

There are too many people trying to impose rules and structure, and assume some kind of authority as it is.

[i'm getting really pissed off with the Geocaching.com attitude that tries to censor out the existence of other sites like N*C.]

Sounds like fun, I'm up for it! (well, I would say that... icon_wink.gif)

I take it this would be a kind of one-off event over say a couple of weeks or so? Bit of harmless fun, and I don't see any problem with making it competetive: only a token prize would be needed (like a gold-plated ammo-box maybe? icon_wink.gif). The main feature would be the bash at the end! Woohoo! icon_biggrin.gif

Great idea John! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

Omally

I'm well up for a bit of (sporting) competition, which is quite obviously what you ment icon_smile.gif Not sure I understand exactly what you have proposed but I will try to figure it out icon_wink.gif I had an idea of holding a charity fun day or something similar where teams would compete to find a number of caches quickest, eg go off at intervals & the quickest wins. All very fun and friendly and all for a good cause. What do people think? would anyone be interested in arranging something with me? sorry Pharisee I am not trying to hijack any ideas here i promise icon_smile.gif

After reading again: Actually this is pretty much what your suggesting I think? so yes I am definatly up for it and willig to help out in any way poss frog.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk - Stash Notes, forums & Much more...

quote:
If it takes off, we’ll probably need the help of someone with a website who would be willing to act as ‘controller’. Each Superteam would register there and e-mail the controller when a cache is found. The controller would check that each constituent team had logged the cache on cg.com and then update that Superteam’s total. The Superteams, team members and totals displayed on an accessible web page.

Sounds like a bit of a laugh.. but I'm not sure if Mrs H and I have the time to do it. Will check with her tonight. If we haven't then I could always act as controller and set up a page on our website for this.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

This sounds like fun. I would be interested in doing this. I reckon I should be able to muster a 'local' team together.....

I think there should be an upper limit on the number in a team though, otherwise one group of say ten cachers could just trounce all the other smaller teams.

It could maybe even be something like North vs South, or on a county basis (or would that be too contraversial?) icon_confused.gif.

When were you thinking of starting it up?

Roughly when would this happen? This side of Chrimbo?

Over what kind of time scale? A couple of days?A fortnight? A month?

Would there be a specified area to find caches in, or some sort of handicap for those in a cache-rich area?

Do the caches have to be previously unvisited by at least one member of the super-team (be they singular or a team in their own right)?

Sorry to be picky-sounding, just a few potential wrinkles that may need ironing out... icon_razz.gif

I'll have 3 spare seats in the Omallymobile if anyone wants to form a team with me (sound familiar?!) but I have very little holiday left this year so I'll only be allowed out at night... icon_wink.gif

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

Omally

Member of the GAGB

quote:

3) Any caches claimed as a find by the Superteam must not have been previously found by any of the constituent teams.

All clear so far...?

Am I reading this right? Doesn't that penalise teams that have members who have high cache counts already? If we (Slytherin) teamed up with Subarite and Hornet, then there wouldn't be that many caches in England that we could go for. icon_biggrin.gif

Alex.

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

quote:
Originally posted by Omally:

I'll have 3 spare seats in the Omallymobile if anyone wants to form a team with me (sound familiar?!) but I have very little holiday left this year so I'll only be allowed out at night... icon_wink.gif

Only THREE seats... heck, I'll bid about 5 spare seats! That could mean getting a whole team into the one car!!

I'm off on holiday to Germany now, for 2 weeks (and YES, we WILL be doing some caching.... and NO, we're not taking the satellite link - although I DID consider the idea!)

Paul

Another proud member of the GAGB!

I'd be interested in taking part. If it means that I can take part by maybe just doing a couple of caches after work and at the weekend maybe a few more for some team's greater score! I don't have loads of spare time to dedicate though and I have done most of the caches in my imediate area. Sounds fun though so I guess this is a count me in!

Sorry guys.... as the topic starter I feel sort of responsible for this but things have been a bit difficult on the 'domestic' scene just lately and right now I don't have the time to do this justice. If anyone else want to take it they're welcome but I'm afraid I can't at the moment.

Sorry again...

John

quote:

Sorry guys.... as the topic starter I feel sort of responsible for this but things have been a bit difficult on the 'domestic' scene just lately and right now I don't have the time to do this justice. If anyone else want to take it they're welcome but I'm afraid I can't at the moment.

Sorry again...

John

We'll we offered to do the web page for it, so running it shouldn't be a problem..

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Okay, as an idea it sounds fine. However here are some questions.

If each composite team has to log the cache you will (as noted previously) be handicapping those whose constituent teams have high cache finds.

Also, in some areas there may only be 3 or so available constituent teams and thus most caches in the area will have been placed by one of those teams and thus can't be logged by the superteam (another small disadvantage for some)

Secondly, if you've got superteams all over the country competeing, where would you hold the 'bash' at the end ?

However, perhaps if I may hijack the idea slightly and incorporate that charity note of someones.

say you get someone smart with experience of events and multi/puzzle caches to devise a format with guidelines (e.g. 15 caches, at least 2 tough puzzles based on logic not location etc) - not me, I had Nawtcher in mind myself. Then a group of 'local' organisers does the groundwork of adapting the format to the local conditions and placing the caches and clues (all of which could be very temporary and need not be listed on GC.com as caches just registered as 1 event cache)

the you have a series of local events with the same format and similar caches going off on the same weekend to see which team can get the most of the 15 (cos some of them are supposed to be tough right).

for the charity bit, either get the local organisers to collect donations on the day, or (if it's allowed) charge a nominal entrance fee when you hand over the list of 'cache details'

Hand all the money over to the charity which was chosen in advance of the event.

To make it as much fun as possible for all, if a member of a team is the local organiser, as long as he/she doesn't head out with the team on the finding day, they still get to play.

Anyway, nuff rambling, back to work.

Roddy