Posting images in the found log

explosion242

I have a question about posting images in the log. I realized it is a spoiler but why does the feature exist? So many logs are difficult to sign and the feature seems very helpful but seems to be frowned upon to post images of the cache instead of signing it? Also a side note I'm an app developer and it would be extremely easy for the geocache app to only show the images to the owner of the cache so there would be no spoilers. I've been geocaching for about a year now and maybe I've not researched the topic enough but I'm hoping someone can anwer this or point to a reason why?

Thanks.
  • Funny 2
17 hours ago, explosion242 said:

Also a side note I'm an app developer and it would be extremely easy for the geocache app to only show the images to the owner of the cache so there would be no spoilers. I've been geocaching for about a year now and maybe I've not researched the topic enough but I'm hoping someone can anwer this or point to a reason why?

Many of my logs (which I post from the website, not an app), have photos attached as they form part of the story I'm telling. These are not spoilers. For example, this one of me getting up the slippery slope on our route to a cache:

9b9a7d2d-2be5-4c8a-b618-a8c0b22f7ec6.jpg?z=1704269534936

Or this one of a rock pinnacle we passed on the way to a mountain-top cache (I was so impressed by that one I went back six months later and placed a cache of my own there):

2d6a0b84-e059-4b29-9e9b-d8bd44c1be1f.jpg

It's the old adage about a picture painting a thousand words.

• Upvote 3
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks but none of this really answers my question. I have recently found out that another geocacher and I that I go with have been a topic of discussion at the local meetups and we are not clear on why not signing the log and using the photo log is a source of discontent for some people that hide caches? I think that every argument for signing the log could be worked out in the app. Most logs are not in great shape, are super difficult to get in and out, you have to carry a pen and a replaceable log if needed and I think that really turns off people to geocache. Most of the guys that seem to be upset started back in the early 2000's before smartphones so I feel this is really them rejecting any new advances.

It seems that they are worried that you are not actually vising the geocache but that could be easily proved by doing something unique that the cache owner wants and send the pic only to the owner and not others. I imagine that geocache themselves are fully aware of this but I'm unclear on why they are not addressing the issue. Again, I'm an app developer and if I notice it, then a lot of people notice it. I'm assuming that they don't want to mess with the old guard who like it a specific way. I realize not everyone uses the app but like any good company they definitely know through metrics. Also premium members like myself do contribute with payments so I don't buy the not giving back argument.

Sorry if this seems argumentative and that was not my point but we have been getting a bit frustrated.

Thanks

• Funny 4

The only solid guideline, or rule in this case, is that the logbook must be signed with you geo-nickname before a physical cache is logged as found.

This has been the case since 23 years and will hopefully remain as long as geocaching.com is active. 

If there is no signature in the logbook the owner has the right to delete your log. All this is written in the guidelines and help center. 2 documents/places that it should be mandatory to read before starting an account.

It you want this to change contacting Groundspeak is you option. Or heading to any of the other GPS based games that have no requirement to sign a physical log book.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3

To answer your question. 

Pictures of the container is seen as a spoiler as it might indicate where it's hidden or show a unique hole made construction that ought 5o be discovered on sight.

If the logbook is wet, trashed och filled with signature logging a "Owner maintenance required" is the correct way to alert the owner, and coming visitors that something is wrong. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
21 minutes ago, explosion242 said:

Thanks but none of this really answers my question. I have recently found out that another geocacher and I that I go with have been a topic of discussion at the local meetups and we are not clear on why not signing the log and using the photo log is a source of discontent for some people that hide caches? I think that every argument for signing the log could be worked out in the app. Most logs are not in great shape, are super difficult to get in and out, you have to carry a pen and a replaceable log if needed and I think that really turns off people to geocache. Most of the guys that seem to be upset started back in the early 2000's before smartphones so I feel this is really them rejecting any new advances.

It seems that they are worried that you are not actually vising the geocache but that could be easily proved by doing something unique that the cache owner wants and send the pic only to the owner and not others. I imagine that geocache themselves are fully aware of this but I'm unclear on why they are not addressing the issue. Again, I'm an app developer and if I notice it, then a lot of people notice it. I'm assuming that they don't want to mess with the old guard who like it a specific way. I realize not everyone uses the app but like any good company they definitely know through metrics. Also premium members like myself do contribute with payments so I don't buy the not giving back argument.

Sorry if this seems argumentative and that was not my point but we have been getting a bit frustrated.

Thanks

There is a perfectly good App that requires no work to get a log out and no pen, and doesn't even require a photo.  Done.  Enjoy!

But the main thing that is Geocaching is to Find The Cache, and Sign The Log.  Many of my caches are designed around that premise.  My logs are also easy to get out and in, and they are NOT in bad shape.  Why are you even bothering with poorly maintained caches?  If I can't/won't sign it, I make a DNF and an NM and come back later when it's fixed.  If it won't get fixed, it can be replaced by a better cache by a better Cache Owner.  If I won't return, it wasn't all that amazing a place anyway.

Edited by kunarion

I have the adventure lab app but I feel like that does not address the issues with the geocache app which we would like to use. It sounds like you are maintaining your caches but most in my area are not and you cannot know that until you show up and look at it. Yes I know you can look at the activity but with that criteria I feel like I'll be sifting through quite a bit and that brings me right back to the original point which is that the signing of the log is not needed. Just as easy something like a unique code could be entered in the app that is fixed to the outside of the cache so you would have to be right there because the fear is that you were not really there. That would work. I've noticed a tendency in this community (usually from older geocachers) to critique the finder or user of the app. As an app developer, if you find this happening often you should really look at your process. Remember when Steve Jobs told people they were holding the iphone wrong and that's why it was having problems? In my case we have a bunch of guys who all started geocaching before smartphones and they are upset at my 15 year old nephew and I because we have posted images which clearly show we were there but no log sign because we have to spend another 15 minutes to get it out and then put it back. We used to do this. Some of these guys have over 10,000 finds. I just don't find them very welcoming and resistant to change. It's just a game and it feels like any ideas like this is dismissed with no real forward thinking.

• Funny 3

After all, the whole game is now based on physically drawing a log sheet. That is the challenge. Keep in mind that many people play this game with a handheld GPS instead of a smartphone. Then a log code might not work. And as mentioned before. That's what adventure labs are for. The only downside is that physical containers are not allowed with ALC.

Of course, it's not nice if the caches in your area are poorly maintained. We see this on a regular basis while traveling. Use the Owner Attention Needed option in your app. This will alert the owner of the cache to do proper maintenance. If the owner does not follow up, this will often (or should) result in the cache being archived. 

Regular maintenance of the cache by the owner is just like a physical log on a logsheet something that is anchored in the guidlines.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, explosion242 said:

I have recently found out that another geocacher and I that I go with have been a topic of discussion at the local meetups and we are not clear on why not signing the log and using the photo log is a source of discontent for some people that hide caches?

You know why. 

24 minutes ago, explosion242 said:

Just as easy something like a unique code could be entered in the app that is fixed to the outside of the cache so you would have to be right there because the fear is that you were not really there. That would work

This has been brought up many times in the forums. Someone could so easily post an image of that code online and then you really don't have to go to GZ to log a find.

What about geocaches with field puzzles? Just being there and taking a photo of it is not enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
43 minutes ago, explosion242 said:

it feels like any ideas like this is dismissed with no real forward thinking

That's a pretty bold claim. Dave's original instructions were simple:

Well, I did it, created the first stash hunt stash and here are
the coordinates:

N 45 17.460
W122 24.800

Lots of goodies for the finders. Look for a black plastic bucket
buried most of the way in the ground. Take some stuff, leave
some stuff! Record it all in the log book. Have Fun!

That is: "go to these coordinates, find a thing, and record your visit in the logbook". Despite this, there has been an unreasonable amount of innovation in this game over the years. (There is also innovation outside these rules; which has met varying levels of success.)

Edited by Hügh
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
52 minutes ago, explosion242 said:

I have the adventure lab app but I feel like that does not address the issues with the geocache app which we would like to use. It sounds like you are maintaining your caches but most in my area are not and you cannot know that until you show up and look at it. Yes I know you can look at the activity but with that criteria I feel like I'll be sifting through quite a bit and that brings me right back to the original point which is that the signing of the log is not needed. Just as easy something like a unique code could be entered in the app that is fixed to the outside of the cache so you would have to be right there because the fear is that you were not really there. That would work. I've noticed a tendency in this community (usually from older geocachers) to critique the finder or user of the app. As an app developer, if you find this happening often you should really look at your process. Remember when Steve Jobs told people they were holding the iphone wrong and that's why it was having problems? In my case we have a bunch of guys who all started geocaching before smartphones and they are upset at my 15 year old nephew and I because we have posted images which clearly show we were there but no log sign because we have to spend another 15 minutes to get it out and then put it back. We used to do this. Some of these guys have over 10,000 finds. I just don't find them very welcoming and resistant to change. It's just a game and it feels like any ideas like this is dismissed with no real forward thinking.

There are also GPS game Apps that use "codes" to scan and log.  Not as well known as Geocaching, because people just plain don't stay engaged when it's just Scan and Go.

When the Geocache has a log in poor condition and you can't even get it out, then having Scanning available perpetuates the problem of poorly maintained caches.  Caches will only become worse until there's nothing left to Scan.  Then someone will start a new thread about "Why Do I Need To Scan A Code!!  Code Is In Bad Shape And Unscannable". :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 3
53 minutes ago, explosion242 said:

Yes I know you can look at the activity but with that criteria I feel like I'll be sifting through quite a bit and that brings me right back to the original point which is that the signing of the log is not needed

Ummm, yes, it IS needed, that's one of the basic ideas of this game called geocaching.  I'm relatively new to the hobby, started in 2017, and have pretty much learned and used the official app for most of my "career" in geocaching.  I do have a Garmin Etrex 30x, to learn how to use a GPS, for those places where there is no cell signal, or to re-verify coordinates for a find.  I also teach the Geocaching Merit Badge to scouts, and part of that is learning to use a GPS, so I learned how so I could teach others.

I accepted the "rule" that you have to physically sign the logsheet/logbook when you find a cache when I began.  Yes, you DO have to sift through some recent logs if you simply want to grab a find for every cache you seek.  Otherwise you will find soggy logs, missing caches, and damaged containers.  We do read previous logs (in most cases), and skip some of those that look sketchy; we also pre-solve puzzles when heading to a new area, and load the GPS with caches we hope to find.  We prepare for our cache outings.  And when we do spontaneous hunts, we aren't always successful since we DIDN'T read  recent logs telling us the cache was missing or damaged!!

Find the cache, SIGN THE LOG (learn to carry writing utensils!), and then claim the find and tell your story, either in the app or on the website.  That's geocaching.

Edited by CAVinoGal
typos
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
14 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Yes, you DO have to sift through some recent logs if you simply want to grab a find for every cache you seek.  Otherwise you will find soggy logs, missing caches, and damamged containers.  We do read previous logs (in most cases), and skip some of those that look sketchy; we also pre-solve puzzles when heading to a new area, and load the GPS with caches we hope to find.  We prepare for our cache outings.  And when we do spontaneous hunts, we aren't always successful since we DIDN'T read  recent logs telling us the cache was missing or damaged!!

+1

I'm a Sifter.  And when the past 20 logs are mostly about how wet and unsignable the log sheet is, it's a simple sift.  Pass.  Instead, the cool, findable, signable caches are where it's at.  Look at bookmark lists.  Ask around.  Run searches and PQs.  Read the cache info before you arrive.  Spontaneous caching means it will be a surprise.  Not all surprises are pleasant surprises.

As for the OP, I post a lot of photos when I find a cache.  Not spoilers, and absolutely not to prove I found it.  It's to show how much I appreciate a fun, cool cache.  But in many cases, photos are welcome.  In addition to bringing a pen and signing the log. :drama:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2

I understand that I'm not going to win this argument but i should start saying I signed the log even when I didn't because I know it's most likely not being checked. For the record I do on large caches where people actually seem to put some effort into it but again, it's just a game and I feel like people pile on. If you really are that hard core where you care about the amount of finds and badges, that's cool. If you are yelling at people that they don't have the right equipment or that for some reason are not respecting the history (and I am) of geocaching then it does not seem to be that fun anymore. I started this thread because I had some questions but I keep getting pointed to dogma. Most of these things could be solved in other ways and maybe the answer is just do different types of caches instead of standing under a branch in 20 degree weather trying to get a log out of a micro only to find no space on in and having to replace it because "that's geocaching" 

Thanks for the insight guys

• Surprised 2
14 minutes ago, explosion242 said:

I understand that I'm not going to win this argument but i should start saying I signed the log even when I didn't because I know it's most likely not being checked. For the record I do on large caches where people actually seem to put some effort into it but again, it's just a game and I feel like people pile on. If you really are that hard core where you care about the amount of finds and badges, that's cool. If you are yelling at people that they don't have the right equipment or that for some reason are not respecting the history (and I am) of geocaching then it does not seem to be that fun anymore. I started this thread because I had some questions but I keep getting pointed to dogma. Most of these things could be solved in other ways and maybe the answer is just do different types of caches instead of standing under a branch in 20 degree weather trying to get a log out of a micro only to find no space on in and having to replace it because "that's geocaching" 

Thanks for the insight guys

Don't unilaterally replace cache logs except in special cases.  There are whole threads on that subject, unrelated to the OP.  When it's that bad and unmaintained, your added piece of paper makes it still bad and unmaintained, with a piece of paper.

If you don't care about finds and badges, you don't need a new App or a new process or photos or anything.  Lots of Geocachers don't make online logs, they just do what they do and have fun and find things, with and without dogma.  

And lots of Geocachers do in fact say they signed the log even when they didn't.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, explosion242 said:

Most of these things could be solved in other ways and maybe the answer is just do different types of caches instead of standing under a branch in 20 degree weather trying to get a log out of a micro only to find no space on in and having to replace it because "that's geocaching" 

No, that's not geocaching, or at least it's just a "lowest common denominator" subset of geocaching. The game covers a much broader range of experiences, physical caches and localities, many of which can't be reduced to just take a photo of the cache or something written on it.

By way of example, a couple of days ago I did four caches up north of here, two of which were tree-fishing ones where you have to use a long pole with a hook to get it off the branch it's hanging on, open the container, sign the log then put it back in the tree. Seeing the cache (or photographing it) is easy, getting your name in the logbook isn't. Another of the caches was in a tree stump and pretty easy to spot, but inside was a cryptex that required a code word from solving the cache puzzle to open and get to the logbook. No photo logs of the container allowed on that one, obviously. The fourth cache was an ammo can tucked into a small opening a few metres up on a concrete bridge support. You could take a photo of it standing on the ground with a selfie stick, but to get to the logbook requires a ladder (which you have to carry from the nearest parking a few hundred metres away) and a fair stretch to reach the container (I used a grabbing tool to make it a little easier for me).

I don't find many caches, after nearly eleven years in the game I'm still well south of 2000 finds, but a lot of them are memorable experiences that go way beyond standing under a branch trying to get a logsheet out of a micro. Many required a fair bit of effort just to get to GZ (or a fair bit of mental effort just to get the coordinates for GZ) then often further challenges to get hold of the cache, open it and add my name to the logbook. Sometimes that last step turned out to be a bit too challenging and I've had to be content to log a DNF, with that blue frown on the map a reminder to come back again better prepared. Amongst my list of favourites are many with the "takes more than an hour" attribute and usually involve a good measure of hiking, rock scrambling or, in some cases, kayaking.

For me, caching isn't about numbers or badges, it's about experiences, of being taken to places and doing things I wouldn't have otherwise contemplated. It's also about the satisfaction of overcoming all the obstacles the CO and nature have put in my way, to get the container in my hand, open it and add my name to the log.

fd651d20-0c87-4808-9c22-9da99d9a0c97.jpg

That, to me, is what geocaching's all about.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
2 hours ago, explosion242 said:

Most of the guys that seem to be upset started back in the early 2000's before smartphones so I feel this is really them rejecting any new advances.

:)

The other 2/3rds cached with a phone as early as 2005, using a Blackberry and the Trimble app... and now upgrades every-other iphone.

I think I used my mini 13 once for caching since purchase...

-  But since we hike, we both rely on a handheld GPSr for it's dependability, ease in changing batteries, and ruggedness.

This hobby is made to be simple so all can enjoy it. We know people who use maps to find caches. More phones than GPSrs these days.

1- Log in.  2- navigate to the cache.  3 - Find and log the geocache.  4 - Log your find on the app or at Geocaching.com.

The only "requirement" (everything else is a guideline...)  is sign the log...  

• Helpful 2
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

As for the OP, I post a lot of photos when I find a cache.  Not spoilers, and absolutely not to prove I found it.  It's to show how much I appreciate a fun, cool cache.  But in many cases, photos are welcome.  In addition to bringing a pen and signing the log.

Yep.  Most of the "spoilers" we see are new folks who never read up on how to play.  Every cache shown at it's location, they didn't learn squat...

Enough COs delete pics (used to have to delete it all...) and they might ask gives, and/or wake up.  

We take pics of wildlife n looney stuff we did. Especially if I got caught in a bind.   :laughing:   

- Who wants to spoil locations for others?  Maybe people who didn't know this used to be the "language of location".

Anyone who ever looked at just a handful of Harry Dolphin's cache photos is happy as heck we have that option.   :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Just for clarification, I also really only care about the fun. I see plenty of lamp post/magnet on a guard rail cache that is just boring. The only reason why I log them is so that I know I tried it and not to come back. I am almost always going with my 15 year old nephew. I've geocached in many states and just recently did a cache in La Fortuna Costa Rica that had a bunch of likes and then I find out that it is literally behind the counter of a hotel where there is no way I would have found it without their help. I would always sign the cache if it is half way decent. I seem to be getting the messages when I'm just taking a pic of the cache when it is super small, in a hard place and I'm right by it. I'm not trying to give out spoilers but again a simple toggle on the app that says "send image to cache owner" should not be hurting anything except for the people that demand a log gets signed. It's just disheartening when people are so into it that they tell you that they are talking about you at meetups and you are a problem. Apparently my nephew has said that has happened and now we are not sure we even want to go to a meeting.

33 minutes ago, explosion242 said:

I seem to be getting the messages when I'm just taking a pic of the cache when it is super small, in a hard place and I'm right by it. I'm not trying to give out spoilers but again a simple toggle on the app that says "send image to cache owner" should not be hurting anything except for the people that demand a log gets signed.

How can I be gentle? Like it or not, the number one rule in geocaching is to find the cache, open it and sign the log. Maybe that's archaic, something more suited to the Middle Ages perhaps, but there are other phone-based games (Adventure Labs immediately comes to mind but there are others like that pokey one that was all the rage a few years back) where you don't have to open or sign anything. If doing that is too irksome or too much trouble, you can always put the cache on your Ignore List so you won't keep seeing it sitting there unfound, but just photographing the cache isn't a find. If I can see the cache but can't sign the log, it's a DNF and, if the problem is with the cache rather than me, an OAR as well, because caches that can't be opened (perhaps they've rusted shut) or with logs too degraded to sign need to be either fixed or removed from play. You won't solve the problem of crappy caches by allowing photo logs on them, or leaving it to that mythical "someone else" to do something.

Sure, as a CO I can be lenient, and I won't delete a log just because someone made the trek to GZ but their pen didn't work, but I would hope such incidents would be one-offs and that players won't make a habbit of logging a find just for getting somewhere near it and taking a photo. I try to make it easy with my hides, they're all smalls or regulars with actual log books (not rolled-up strips of paper) and I always include a pencil plus, on the more remote caches, a sharpener. In return, I really want finders to make that extra effort of extracting the cache from its hiding place, opening it, signing the log and putting it all back the way they found it. That, in its essence, is the core of what this game's about.

• Helpful 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, explosion242 said:

Thanks

Signing the log is proof of a visit. It's the basis of the game. And no app is a trustworthy as physical evidence. Most caches I visit are in okay enough condition to sign. I have over 14,000 finds, so seen a few B). I check logs on my caches to see it has been visited. If you haven't signed a log of mine, you will be getting a message to please explain, because I have no proof you found it. The game isn't visiting a spot and thinking that's enough. You have to find the cache and sign the log. Come on, how onerous is that,...really! LOL, needing to bring your own pen...how is that a burden. You should bring at least two, as ink can run out, and after an experience I had of both pens running out of ink in about a minute of each other, I now often bring three. You don't have to bring a replaceable log, and in most cases you shouldn't replace it without permission from the owner. NEVER replace a log, as the CO might want to check it. A responsible CO will want to do this. Sometimes people might add a log, but this isn't necessary, as the CO should be maintaining their own caches. Do a NM log. If the owner criticises you for this don't get upset. In my experience, most COs won't criticise you for this, but there is the odd nark (I use that in the Aust/NZ sense - an annoying person or thing). I would thank you for the NM and letting me know, as all COs should. Ignore the sad narks :)

I think the problem in some people's minds these days is everything should be able to be signed on a touch screen with your thumb, and pens (who uses 'quills' these days) are archaic. Well news for you, pens are not archaic. I see you are American. Only recently I had to sign an official USA form, and your government doesn't think signing is archaic. In fact, the rules there were the most stringent (narkish :antenna:) I have come upon.

APP...Some of us use GPSs, which can go where no app can go...

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
18 hours ago, explosion242 said:

Just for clarification, I also really only care about the fun. I see plenty of lamp post/magnet on a guard rail cache that is just boring. The only reason why I log them is so that I know I tried it and not to come back. I am almost always going with my 15 year old nephew. I've geocached in many states and just recently did a cache in La Fortuna Costa Rica that had a bunch of likes and then I find out that it is literally behind the counter of a hotel where there is no way I would have found it without their help. I would always sign the cache if it is half way decent. I seem to be getting the messages when I'm just taking a pic of the cache when it is super small, in a hard place and I'm right by it. I'm not trying to give out spoilers but again a simple toggle on the app that says "send image to cache owner" should not be hurting anything except for the people that demand a log gets signed. It's just disheartening when people are so into it that they tell you that they are talking about you at meetups and you are a problem. Apparently my nephew has said that has happened and now we are not sure we even want to go to a meeting.

There's no programming reason why sending the Cache Owner a photo should require 2 clicks.  So if you can sell the idea, go for it.  Maybe make your premise a little less specific.  Change it to just "Sometimes I want to send a photo with just with one click".

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, explosion242 said:

Just for clarification, I also really only care about the fun. I see plenty of lamp post/magnet on a guard rail cache that is just boring.

My guard rail cache has 26 favourites (about one in three finders have given it a favourite). GC7AWYW. There you will find guarded treasure. The last maintenance check I did on it, Sep. 2023, it was in good condition. No finders since then. I reattached some of the guards. Bad caches can be down to the laziness and lack of imagination of the hider. Even a guard rail cache can be fun.

You need to go further a field to find small and larger cache. In fact I often just don't bother finding micro sized cache...unless there are no alternatives, or they belong to a subset of caches I find, such as the SideTracked series. Go bushwalking. Often the more remote caches are better examples of what caches should be.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
12 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Instead of posting a photo of the container post a photo of the logbook or logsheet. I know some geocachers who do this as proof of find, although they normally also sign the log.

Yep.  A prolific finder/hider with caches in a few states takes a pic of every log from caches found.

At least two cross-country home bases now, they had issues logging caches often weeks behind.

That log pic keeps them on track, and the added benefit they have proof of every cache they find...    :)

• Helpful 2