Costco Wholesale Fourm Page

I had an email from a member who had questions about the Waymarking category. I have taken out personal information, and the last line is asking if there is a Fourm page (which I have just started).

• Does this location have a Fuel Station - tick
  • What fuel does the location serve - not real sure that users will understand that you want to know Premium/Unleaded/LPG or other
  • Fuel Type Explenation - [need to correct spelling -> Explanation] This may be to explain my above concern on 'What fuel the location serves', but is it necessary?
  • Fuel Station Location Coordinates (Optional) - from being in opposite hemispheres to the majority of the Waymarks us Aussies have always had major issues with getting the coordinates - especially the hemispheres correct. So, wondering if it is necessary?
  • Is this locations Food court indoors or Outdoors - fair enough, not been to enough to know if there is differences!
  • Does the Warehouse have any of these special centres - [as I haven't seen the discussions in the Forum, not really sure what you are expecting]
  • Special Centres Other description - seems a double up with the above variable, unless there is a 'tick-a-box' option.
  • What Membership Cards are Available - Okay
  • Membership Card Differences - Redundant from the above variable (in my opinion)
  • Does this location do delivery of goods - Okay
  • Location Differances - A) This is not like McDonalds where there is multiple in any given location; B) 'Spelling Police' -> Differences; This should be in the Long Description
  • Location differences explenation - A) Is there a 'Tick-a-Box'? B) Are you wanting variances in Parking: Above/under-ground, Time Limits, Costs, Trolleys? C)'Spelling Police" -> 'explanation'! 

I will answer the questions below (number represents the dot point in order from top to bottom)

1. No issue here
  2. Costco fuel stations serve different fuel types (i.e. in WA, they sell E10 fuel, whereas, in most of the rest of the country, they don't serve it). Also, in different countries, they have fuel different from what we would normally sell in Australia and other countries.
  3. Due to the other box not being able to be filled in, this is for people to fill in fuel types not listed.
  4. Some Costco fuel stations are located further away than the main warehouse entrance across the world, so to make it easier, having this option is just to clarify where it is (hence, it is optional)
  5. No issue here, but here is a link to why I have this (it used to be that you could buy food without a membership if it was outside, but this has changed now: https://www.cnet.com/culture/little-known-costco-secret-what-you-can-buy-without-a-membership/
  6. See the link here for what I meant by special centres (also Tyres, Optical, and Hearing, but they have separate links on Costco AUS): https://www.costco.com.au/kiosks
  7. this is to fill in if there is an option at that location that is not listed. So that it can be listed, as I do not have the time to research 18 different countries' websites, which are in multiple languages.
  8. No issue here
  9. This is if you choose 'Other' as some countries have a specific membership only at their location/country.
  10. No issue here
  11. Some countries have different Costco (i.e. average Costco, Costco Business centre, etc.). This is to differentiate the type of Costco as I have listed. If the location is different from your average Costco in any way, you will tick yes
  12. . The long answer is to explain any differences to a regular Costco that is not listed. It could be there is a parking difference, trolly difference, trade/business centre only, 

All spelling mistakes have been made from what I can see,

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to message me on Waymarking,

Thanks,

James0116

Edited by James0116
used wrong name at bottom

One additional category of information would be… is it a business center?  This could be a tick box answer.

if you’ve never been to one, you might not know they exist, but there are some Costco stores that cater to small businesses and sell lots of extra stuff that is not seen in a regular Costco. Think of the kind of place a small convenience store or gas station would buy drinks in bulk to resell. I know that some will say every Costco sells in bulk but I’m talking about a variety of choices that is not seen at any regular Costco. Anyone can shop there, but the items for sale are targeted towards resale and supporting small businesses. 

Maybe US citizens know Costco in detail, but as a German I don't. To get an impression on what we are talking about, I had to do a lookup first (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costco). While the company has some branches in other countries than the US, Mexico and Canada (~86%) the other continents aren't really noteworthy (Australia and NZ ~2% (16 stores), Asia ~8% (70 stores), Europe ~4% (37 stores with 29 of them in the UK), Afrika 0%). Additionally I don't like the mandatory membership (and the associated fee) before you are allowed to enter the store.

Reading the category description (@ Grahame Cookie:  Thanks for that image) I fear another batch of nondescriptive waymarks (with just the address as long description) coming our way. The intended use of variables would not compensate that lack of description. And despite the fact, that this is another commercial category, the description for the category is "too thin" for me, as there is nothing in the description about the company (and it's history).

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

I think we can remove a few of the questions to make posting a bit simpler.

Perhaps we do not need the types of fuel delivered, types of membership and delivery. Membership and delivery need searching on the website which is not the purpose of a location based activity. It should be available to waymarkers who are not Costco members as you cannot enter without a membership card,

We can add some more detail in the description.

While it may be a fair comment that Costco are not in all countries, there are lots of categories which are commercial places in only a few locations worldwide, far less than Costco, There is a Costco in Iceland strangely enough.

Keep it simple is my motto.

Hope this helps to get it up and running.

Not having to been to a Costco, the closest is 2 hours away, so not a $130 member, I would expect to have in the Long Description something about the parking (Summer can really drain a shopper if your car is out in the open - and discouraging if you have to pay, and there is a time limit!)

As an ALDI Reviewer I have encouraged those that submit to include something about the Parking, as I have found $11/hr customer parking, but the first hour free if you spend $40 (what was Manly ALDI until it closed). And free parking, but 20 minute time limit for ALDI shoppers in Bundaberg!! My local ALDI had in the last three months put in boom gates with a 2 hour free limit; then $5, and $10 after 3 hours. It has allowed more parking for customers, as too often hospital visitors (and workers) were using it.

Maybe that can be included in the Location Differences section.

TareeALDIParkingFees.jpg

On 11/27/2023 at 12:26 PM, FamilieFrohne said:

Maybe US citizens know Costco in detail, but as a German I don't. To get an impression on what we are talking about, I had to do a lookup first (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costco). While the company has some branches in other countries than the US, Mexico and Canada (~86%) the other continents aren't really noteworthy (Australia and NZ ~2% (16 stores), Asia ~8% (70 stores), Europe ~4% (37 stores with 29 of them in the UK), Afrika 0%). Additionally I don't like the mandatory membership (and the associated fee) before you are allowed to enter the store.

Reading the category description (@ Grahame Cookie:  Thanks for that image) I fear another batch of nondescriptive waymarks (with just the address as long description) coming our way. The intended use of variables would not compensate that lack of description. And despite the fact, that this is another commercial category, the description for the category is "too thin" for me, as there is nothing in the description about the company (and it's history).

Again, What he said.

Keith