Missing GC codes

stebu

1 hour ago, stebu said:

I've sometimes tried to get a special GC code like GC50000. Lately some of the codes have been skipped like GCAAAAA and GCABCDE. Why are they skipped? 

No codes are ever skipped, but some never end up as a published listing. In principle, the codes are assigned strictly in sequence, but I assume that if GS wants a special code for their own purpose (like GC8NEAT), they have options to arrange it ;) .

BTW, getting a "special" GC-Code for your own cache can be relatively easy (if you know how to do it, and the code is special only to you), or almost impossible (if others are going for this code as well). Many years ago, I tried to get GC60000, but that was quite hopeless - I ended up with GC6000B. Recently, I tried it with GCABCDE, where the chances for success were not so bad, but I screwed up and got GCABCDC instead.

• Upvote 2

Can you get a special code with other than a letter or number - # $   * etc? Or are we limited numerals and letters only?

One I am thinking of I will, not show because someone may see it and use before I am able! I do not see that cache code I am thinking on in use.

• Funny 2
40 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

Can you get a special code with other than a letter or number - # $   * etc? Or are we limited numerals and letters only?

One I am thinking of I will, not show because someone may see it and use before I am able! I do not see that cache code I am thinking on in use.

You can't unilatterally take and use an existing cache code for your own cache.  And people will have seen the code anyway. 

As baer2006 mentioned, HQ can likely assign a custom GC code with special characters and all.  But as with the TB on Mars, it would be a special case promotional kind of thing.  Cachers otherwise get the next code in the sequence, you don't create your own.

46 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

No, the codes have numbers and letters A to Z without I L O V

36 minutes ago, kunarion said:

As baer2006 mentioned, HQ can likely assign a custom GC code with special characters and all. 

That's not what I meant. I think they can kind of pre-allocate an upcoming "interesting" code, so that's blocked and won't get allocated to random CO who just happens to create a new listing at the right moment. But I very much doubt that they can assign code with characters other then letters (A-Z, w/o ILOSU) and digits, because that would totally mess up the easy 1-to-1 correspondence between the GC code and the numerical cache ID. Also, it would break my puzzle GCABCDC, which is of course a no-go :P;).

Edited by baer2006
3 hours ago, baer2006 said:

and the code is special only to you

It took some planning but I managed to snag GCABRWC -- not published yet, but those in the know might be able to see what I've done :)

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, baer2006 said:

That's not what I meant. I think they can kind of pre-allocate an upcoming "interesting" code, so that's blocked and won't get allocated to random CO who just happens to create a new listing at the right moment. But I very much doubt that they can assign code with characters other then letters (A-Z, w/o ILOSU) and digits, because that would totally mess up the easy 1-to-1 correspondence between the GC code and the numerical cache ID. Also, it would break my puzzle GCABCDC, which is of course a no-go :P;).

Yeah, anyway, it's not the average forum member who could be able to make any special database thing.  The length of GC codes has changed over the years, a special character or two (even if not typically available) doesn't seem impossible to me.

OK, I've never actually seen every possible symbol in GC codes, and some symbols would be reserved for computer use.  But I know of at least a few Trackable items with non-standard vanity codes.  I was imagining it's possible to do whatever way TPTB connected Codes and IDs in that case, they could do with a cache.  I don't have an example, nor even a guess about how special a case it would be to get such a thing done.  Jayeffel could make a request with HQ and if a deal can be worked out, it can be done.  

Edited by kunarion