Dropped by to say hello

I've been lurking around here in the Waymarking area for a little while trying to learn about this facet of geo-location games. I've been Geocaching for over 16 years, so I've heard of and been exposed to WM, but never participated. I barely ever found any benchmarks when they were still part of Geocaching.com, but now that they've been moved here into Waymarking, I've developed a hightened interest in learning more.

That's all. I'm not looking for help or asking any questions (yet). I wouldn't even know what to ask at this point. I'll keep poking around on the website and reading the forums and I'm sure I'll be out and about logging some WM locations before long. I just wanted to say hi and let you know there's another convert from GC here joining you.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Becktracker said:

Welcome! The site is a bit difficult compared to the geocaching site, so if you have any questions we like to help out

What Ivo said!!! :D

Woo Hoo - More FRESH MEAT!!! (That's an LOL)

But really, WELCOME to "The Other Side"!

I'm yet another who was brought to Waymarking through the chance encounter of a Benchmark in my then hometown, this back in 2012.

After working out the complexities and peculiarities of the site, I ended up sticking around and am still here.

Through the years it has transpired that Waymarking has led me to many places I otherwise would never have visited and to making friends I otherwise would never have met.

Here, you may eventually meet some cranks and a few (very few) folks you'd prefer to not invite over for dinner, but, they will pale into the background in comparison to the many wonderful folks you'll meet who constitute the backbone of this small, but avid, community. Just as in Geocaching, here you'll be presented with the opportunity to meet some very interesting and accommodating folks from many countries and cultures, this to me being one of the greatest attractions of the place. As an example, the first "welcome" here was submitted by a Dutchman, and the second by myself, a Canucky... ... and, unless I miss my guess, you may well get a welcome from a couple of Frenchmen, an Austrian, a couple of Germans, a Spaniard, a Finn, a Portuguese, and maybe even a Czech or two.

So, Papy, Thierry, Andreas, Erik, Andreas, Ariberna, Kai, Pedro and Tony, let's hear from yall!!! Let's Welcome this cycling nut into the fold in REAL INTERNATIONAL STYLE!!!

Again, WELCOME, and, above all, HAVE FUN!!! :D

"Vicious Cycle" - I will assume that you spend an inordinate amount of time atop and astride a pair of tall, spoked wheels. ;)

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

and, unless I miss my guess, you may well get a welcome from a couple of Frenchmen, an Austrian, a couple of Germans, a Spaniard, a Finn, a Portuguese, and maybe even a Czech or two.

So, Papy, Thierry, Andreas, Erik, Andreas, Ariberna, Kai, Pedro and Tony, let's hear from yall!!! Let's Welcome this cycling nut into the fold in REAL INTERNATIONAL STYLE!!!

As Keith prophesied, a warm welcome from me to Waymarking. Have fun on the forum discussions and naturally while being outdoors.

Erik.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
13 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

"Vicious Cycle" - I will assume that you spend an inordinate amount of time atop and astride a pair of tall, spoked wheels. ;)

Keith

First of all...thank you for the very warm welcome. 

You are correct to assume my online moniker is derived from another hobby of mine, namely cycling.

On 6/18/2023 at 5:04 AM, petendot said:

Another hello from Canada!

And of course I even managed to forget that there are other great Canuckys (Canuckies?) to be found lurking in the weeds hereabouts. Sorry about that, guys! :sad:

You may have noticed that, just because I made the assumption that Vicious Cycle is a Yankee, I decided not to include all the Yankees in the list of potential "Welcomes" (non of which we've yet heard from - - - Hmmmm...).

I was correct in that assumption. Moreover, after checking his home page, I discovered that he's not all that far from me, about 780 km. by road, just 560 (or so) km. as the Canucky crow flies.

I've Waymarked his hometown. OOPS! Turns out we didn't do Great Falls. Too many already done there, not a lot of interest left to examine. :( Oh well, we did have a REALLY good time and gleaned a lotta Waymarks through western & central Montana on two (or was it three, just can't remember fer sure?) trips to "The Treasure State".

BUT, we got a LOTTA Waymarks outta Helena, and especially the Capitol (dozens & dozens), including a bit of an interesting small story about entering & touring the capitol building, recapped below:

When we visited the capitol it was late in the day and everyone had gone home. Fortunately for the avid Waymarker, they had left a door unlocked - we won't say which one. We stealthily entered through the unlocked door to find ourselves alone in the building, save for a few of the cleaning staff. Avoiding the cleaners we went about our business, snapping shots to our heart's content. The capitol building may be an impressive edifice on the outside, but it is a true work of art inside. Filled with marble, tile, intricate woodwork, gold gilt, murals, stained glass, statuary and memorials, it offers a new and beautiful vista around each corner. We're very thankful that someone here was a bit forgetful but hope that it doesn't happen too often.

Waymarking wise, Montana has been very kind to us, to say the least, as have the people.

Keith

14 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

You may have noticed that, just because I made the assumption that Vicious Cycle is a Yankee, I decided not to include all the Yankees in the list of potential "Welcomes" (non of which we've yet heard from - - - Hmmmm...).

Call 'em and they will come a runnin'! :lol:

Of course, one is a Texan, so I'm not sure that counts. :unsure:

On 6/16/2023 at 4:21 PM, Vicious Cycle said:

First of all...thank you for the very warm welcome. 

You are correct to assume my online moniker is derived from another hobby of mine, namely cycling.

A very warm welcome from Vienna, Austria (not AustrALia! ;)). You will find several intersting categories regarding cycling on Waymarking.com, like:

Ghost Bikes

Bicycle Tenders

Bicycle Repair Stations

Bicycle Rentals

Bicycle Shops

Electric Bike Charging Stations

Mountain Bike Trailheads ........

• Helpful 2