Removing Favorite Points (FPs) from Archived Caches

Considering I still have like 60 FPs to give out, no.  I also like to keep them on the caches I awarded them to because I like to go back occasionally and look through the list.  It's fun to see which caches I awarded FPs to and it helps me remember what I liked about certain caches so that in the future I can apply those qualities to my caches.

It's hard for me to believe more than 10% of caches people find are FP worthy where they would have this issue of not enough FPs.

Edited by GeoElmo6000
  • Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Vicious Cycle said:

Once in a while I review what caches I've awarded FPs and if I notice any archived caches on that list, I remove the FPs so I can give them out to other active caches.

Does anyone else do this?

This has been discussed in many forum threads!

There's just one of those discussions:

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/353930-removing-favorite-points-new-game/

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Vicious Cycle said:

Once in a while I review what caches I've awarded FPs and if I notice any archived caches on that list, I remove the FPs so I can give them out to other active caches.

No.  When we received our ton of FPs in Dec. 2010, we gave them to caches that (so far) were our favorites, some already archived.

What condition they are now doesn't matter to us either.  When we found them, it was a favorite cache.   :) 

We were FTF on a lot of them, and were able to see that cache as the CO intended...

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

It's hard for me to believe more than 10% of caches people find are FP worthy where they would have this issue of not enough FPs

Prior to the big FP giveaway a few months back, I was always running short of FPs and even created a bookmark list of pending FPs so I wouldn't forget the ones I really wanted to give an FP to but needed to do a trip away to somewhere where was an abundance of more mundane caches before I'd have one available to give. I live in a region where caches are few and far between, half are T2.5 or higher and the smalls and regulars both outnumber the micros, so most of my caching experiences are enjoyable trips out into what is often pretty spectacular countryside. It can be hard at times to decide whether a particular experience is exceptional enough to put in my top ten percent so there are lot of good caches that end up missing out.

Since I give my FPs based on the experience I had, rather than as a recommendation to others (since everyone has different tastes), a cache being archived doesn't lessen the experience I'd had and it's still something I'd like to be reminded of in years to come. A few times, though, when my Pending FP list was getting embarrassingly long, I've gone through and retrieved a few FPs from archived caches where the FP was more specific to the container than the location and the CO is no longer active.

Occasionally.... it depends on a few things.....

1. If I'm short of FPs to give out I might start looking for caches to retrieve them from... this hasn't been the case for a while, especially after the 20FP gift from HQ....  (see below)

2. I would then only remove them from a cache that was archived by a reviewer for non-maintenance.

3. I would only remove them from a player who seemed inactive

So, if I give you an FP, and you need to archive your cache yourself, and keep geocaching, I won't take back my FP.... otherwise... I might....

• Love 1

I have so many spare FPs (just checked, apparently 196) and only ever give them to caches that I really, really enjoyed. The FPs remain on caches because they are a memory for me on how much I enjoyed that cache. I, btw. work for the department of lost memories.

Edited by terratin
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
On 6/1/2023 at 7:34 AM, Vicious Cycle said:

I've never run out of FP's to give out, so it's not been a problem. I guess I am too miserly with the awards? Either that or my recent Adventure Lab activities are racking up FP's at a much higher rate. 

7 hours ago, mysterion604 said:

I've never run out of FP's to give out, so it's not been a problem. I guess I am too miserly with the awards? Either that or my recent Adventure Lab activities are racking up FP's at a much higher rate. 

I'm fairly sure AL locations don't accrue you FPs to give out...

• Upvote 1