How can I tell if Premium membership is worth it again?

RosAndEd

Hello.

We used to be premium members, but we exhausted all caches nearby and then life got in the way so we let our membership lapse.

Is there any way to tell whether there are many new premium caches around? £25 is a lot to just discover the answer is no!

Thanks

7 minutes ago, RosAndEd said:

We used to be premium members, but we exhausted all caches nearby and then life got in the way so we let our membership lapse.

Is there any way to tell whether there are many new premium caches around? £25 is a lot to just discover the answer is no!

I would suggest that if the only reason you're interested in premium membership is to get access to PMO caches, then no, it's not worth getting premium membership. But to me, access to PMO caches is one of the least important reasons to get premium membership.

• Upvote 9
18 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Sure, using the homepage any Basic Member can search for all the caches in a given location. On the list, PMO caches will show, even not in the map.

Oh thank you. I had forgotten that feature of the site!

There are around 40 caches within 10 miles that are premium and unfound.

I suppose it's time to think about value now!

Thanks RA.

• Surprised 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, RosAndEd said:

Oh thank you. I had forgotten that feature of the site!

There are around 40 caches within 10 miles that are premium and unfound.

I suppose it's time to think about value now!

Using the website, any member can access all caches except for PMO.  We've never found a PMO cache that was any different than others.

I was gonna check to see what you might be looking at, but like many these days, everything on your profile is blocked...

Curious... Are you actually looking at 40 PMO caches, or simply those caches other-than Traditionals, or those above D2/T2, which is the limit for free basic members on the app ?   Those are supposed to be called "advanced" caches.  Thanks.  :)

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

I originally became a PM because I mistakenly thought you needed to be a PM in order to hide a cache.  Whoops.

Why am I still a PM all these years later?

1) Support one of my favorite hobbies

2) Can access all caches via the apps I use and on the website

3) Notifications - I don't go for FTF a lot but I do like being notified of new caches, or of caches being archived, etc.

Three times I've been given a free year of premium membership, but for those I've had a film as a finalist in the Geocaching International Film Festival.  I'll take that free membership anytime (along with the free GIFF geocoin!)

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Why am I still a PM all these years later?

1) Support one of my favorite hobbies

2) Can access all caches via the apps I use and on the website

3) Notifications - I don't go for FTF a lot but I do like being notified of new caches, or of caches being archived, etc.

+3 on these.... I'll add pocket queries (although they do need an upgrade!) to this list.

My family has three PM accounts, still the cheapest part of our #1 pastime, and worth every cent.

• Upvote 2

I started caching as a basic member and after a few cache finds, I found one that had a real Wow factor.  I discovered that I could thank the owner by giving a favourite point, but only if I bought a premium membership.

I gave the favourite point about 20 minutes later.

That is why I became, and remain, a premium member. Finding PMO caches is way down on my list of reasons for being premium.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I started caching as a basic member and after a few cache finds, I found one that had a real Wow factor.  I discovered that I could thank the owner by giving a favourite point, but only if I bought a premium membership.

I gave the favourite point about 20 minutes later.

That is why I became, and remain, a premium member. Finding PMO caches is way down on my list of reasons for being premium.

Similar, we were newbs on night shift, getting FTFs simply because we were already up.  ;)

The other 2/3rds became a FTF monster after locals, laughing at the rants of an "FTF king" at events ("those $&#*@ cerberus kids..."), asked her to keep it up.  :laughing:

I was using "newest" on our profile at the time, refreshing a lot on days. Easier for her on nights when she transferred to IT/IS at the plant.

She needed notifications so it'd be almost instant at the time on her blackberry (yeah, a while ago).

So we got premium membership just for notifications...

A contest was on at the time, asking why you became a PM, and I wrote something like, "We got PM for notifications, and now the other 2/3rds can run out at a moment's notice, giggling with glee in hopes of a FTF."  and won a geocoin for her collection.  :)

I like FTFs because that person is the only one that sees the cache as intended by the CO...