The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

My suffering at the hands of Jodi is akin to the plots and schemes of the

beautiful Milady de Winter against d'Artagnan. One might wonder what will

be written in our epilogue. (James, help everybody out here please.)

I would not like to spoil the ending for anyone by speaking out here ....

Hmm, yes the ending ... thinking that over during the day just past

I now see Jodi in the role of Anne of Austria and I as the lackey

Planchet. I’m influenced in this view by comparing Jodi’s stature

to mine in terms of relative Geocaching find counts.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Well, a bit of sad news. Mission 9: Tunnel of Light (GC1169) has been archived! It seems that the entire cache was stolen this time.

There is also quite a bit of response from the Geocaching community, so the story may not be entirely over, just yet. Hopefully the cache

will reopen with a new "adoptee", or something on that order. Sad to see this one go, for sure! ~J

Well, a bit of sad news. Mission 9: Tunnel of Light (GC1169) has been archived! It seems that the entire cache was stolen this time. There is also quite a bit of response from the Geocaching community, so the story may not be entirely over, just yet. Hopefully the cache will reopen with a new "adoptee", or something on that order. Sad to see this one go, for sure! ~J

Serious Bummer!

I didn't get the chance to do it last year when I was up in Redmond. I was hoping that I would get up there to do it this year. It's hard to imagine, though, that the geocaching community will just let this end...one leg of the Geocaching Triad is gone if someone doesn't find a way to reactivate it...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Bill. I am just looking into Geocaching and would like to possibly meet up with other people that like to go out to the desert or where ever. I just purchased a Garmin Oregon 450t. Trying to learn about it. Mainly bought it to use for my clubs Adopt A Trail to mark locations of items on the trail, but would like to use it for geocaching also.

Is there a website for local geocachers to meet up at? Does anyone like to go to the desert and do a little offroading and look for geocache at the same time?

Hope to meet people and learn and do more of this great event.

Thank you,

Bill

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Bill. I am just looking into Geocaching and would like to possibly meet up with other people that like to go out to the desert or where ever. I just purchased a Garmin Oregon 450t. Trying to learn about it. Mainly bought it to use for my clubs Adopt A Trail to mark locations of items on the trail, but would like to use it for geocaching also.

Is there a website for local geocachers to meet up at? Does anyone like to go to the desert and do a little offroading and look for geocache at the same time?

Thank you,

Bill

Welcome Bil,

You found the right page and we are having a event tonight at Giovannis in Kearny mesa scroll down from your post for more info. We have a event thread so check on that and we do a geocampout in ocitillo wells in nov and that's alot of fun.

John AKA TEAM FATMAN:anibad: :anibad:

Might be looking to do the Otay Truck Trail this weekend maybe both Saturday and Sunday. Looking at working on the Hall of Fame series there. There are a bunch of caches since I was there last so lots of work to do.

TA

Make sure you send me a good picture of your Yeep for the 4x4's of the OTT series!! :D :D :D

What area of the series needs that? Is that the North/East section? Throw me a cache name so I can mark it down. :)

Edited by Team Adelos

Might be looking to do the Otay Truck Trail this weekend maybe both Saturday and Sunday. Looking at working on the Hall of Fame series there. There are a bunch of caches since I was there last so lots of work to do.

TA

Make sure you send me a good picture of your Yeep for the 4x4's of the OTT series!! :D :D :D

What area of the series needs that? Is that the North/East section? Throw me a cache name so I can mark it down. :)

Duh.. You posted a link.. Thanks Tom!

Did anybody else notice any weirdness with GPS signals this afternoon? Around 3 p.m. Wednesday I was out in the middle of Mira Mesa Park, open view of cloudless sky, and could hardly get any signal-strength bars, even from satellites that the GPSr said were immediately overhead. After a very long time it did get enough signals and data to give a claimed 20 ft. accuracy, but if I moved off the spot everything went haywire again.

Couldn't be due to sunspots -- reports I've seen are that we're in an extremely low time for sunspot activity now. Is my (admittedly old) GPSr just getting hard of hearing? :-)

Did anybody else notice any weirdness with GPS signals this afternoon? Around 3 p.m. Wednesday I was out in the middle of Mira Mesa Park, open view of cloudless sky, and could hardly get any signal-strength bars, even from satellites that the GPSr said were immediately overhead. After a very long time it did get enough signals and data to give a claimed 20 ft. accuracy, but if I moved off the spot everything went haywire again.

Couldn't be due to sunspots -- reports I've seen are that we're in an extremely low time for sunspot activity now. Is my (admittedly old) GPSr just getting hard of hearing? :-)

Yes. I have noticed at different time when the GPS is off consistently 200+ feet showing me on the freeway when I am on a parallel street. I have read that some of the new 4G testing cell towers frequency bands can interfere with GPS signals. This was in another state but maybe it is being tested in San Diego.

Checked my caches for M&L+3 physical logs, of the 5 I checked that he logged, none have anything on the sheets. I checked 2 others in the area he claimed to find and nothing there either. The guy claims to be from Japan and was "here" from 14-19 June (according to his loggings). Others have reported the same for their caches. I deleted his logs and reported him to GS.

I hate when people think they can pull the wool over San Diegans eyes! :anibad:

Checked my caches for M&L+3 physical logs, of the 5 I checked that he logged, none have anything on the sheets. I checked 2 others in the area he claimed to find and nothing there either. The guy claims to be from Japan and was "here" from 14-19 June (according to his loggings). Others have reported the same for their caches. I deleted his logs and reported him to GS.

I received an e-mail from M&L+3 and he explained that a glitch in his gps program is to blame..He noticed that he had caches posted as finds at places he had never even visited..He assured me that he is working on the problem and that he took pictures of the hides that he had found...He didn't object to my deleting his finds that were hidden by us..I too investigated if his signature was on our logs..which they weren't...

I'm not sure that his intent was malicious....things do go wrong..It may be best to delete logs in question for his sake so that his effort to resolve the issue is simplfied...

Hello everyone,

Thank you,

Bill

Welcome Bil,

You found the right page and we are having a event tonight at Giovannis in Kearny mesa scroll down from your post for more info. We have a event thread so check on that and we do a geocampout in ocitillo wells in nov and that's alot of fun.

Hey guys... me and my girl are new to geocaching and also live in San Diego. Looks like we missed the event mentioned in this post. Hey fatman, is the event thread your talkign about the GS event page with all event's listed? or is there a special San Diego page i'm missing Thanks for the info, didn't mean to hi-jack Bills question\post.

Hey and sorry for OT - I just wanted to know if anyone from San Diego/La Jolla is interested in two 10$ vouchers for "Porkyland" (1030 Torrey Pines RD) and one 15$ voucher for "The Cookie Lady" (7596 Fay Ave). I forgot to redeem them during my vacation in April and won't be able to visit SD again before they expire, so maybe anyone here wants them for free. Just send me a message!

I received an e-mail from M&L+3 and he explained that a glitch in his gps program is to blame..He noticed that he had caches posted as finds at places he had never even visited..He assured me that he is working on the problem and that he took pictures of the hides that he had found...He didn't object to my deleting his finds that were hidden by us..I too investigated if his signature was on our logs..which they weren't...

I'm not sure that his intent was malicious....things do go wrong..It may be best to delete logs in question for his sake so that his effort to resolve the issue is simplfied...

I too saw M&L+3 had logged 48 of my caches as found. I got a note from another cacher asking me to check on a few - des614 and I visited five caches he had logged as found, I replaced their logs, then took the originalls home and reviewed them - M&L+3 was not on any of them.

I spoke with Flagman on what I should do next - turns out Flagman had spoken to Matt (M&L+3) who said he had a computer glitch that posted logs he didn't grab.

Below are copies of email to and from Matthew (M&L+3). If he posted find's on your caches you may want to review his Geocaching stats page and consider deleting those of your caches he logged. You could visit a few of your caches to verify. Just heads up.

Steve Ritz Crackers

Tue, July 5, 2011 4:16:40 AMRe: [GEO] Ritz Crackers contacting M&L+3 from Geocaching.com

From: Matthew Lowry <matthewnlaurie@yahoo.com> View Contact

To: ritzcrackers@pacbell.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry it took so long to get back to you. I am currently going to be deployed for the next few months so it might take me a little while to get all of these issues fixed. I am so sorry that this even happened. I am still trying to figure out what even happened with the program. I am not sure if it was a user error of if my son got a hold of the GPS and did something with it. This has been a difficult few days for me with the complaints and pretty much threats from some of the members of the community out there. I am an avid geocacher and love everything about this game and the last thing I want to do is make anyone upset over something that is all about fun and enjoyment.

I will have very limited internet connection (mainly via phone) so if there is anyone out there that is getting upset with this issue and you hear about it, please let them know how truely sorry I am about this.

Matthew

You don't quit playing with toys because you grow old.....You grow old because you quit playing with toys. So everyone, play hard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: matthewnlaurie@yahoo.com

Sent: Tue, July 5, 2011 4:33:11 AM

Subject: [GEO] Ritz Crackers contacting M&L+3 from Geocaching.com

Hey there - I noticed you logged 48 of my caches as finding them while in San Diego.... some were on the same trail, some weren't and I got a note from another cacher to check them out. I visited five different caches and replaced their logs so I would have the original logs. None show you having logged the visit. I was getting ready to delete the caches and alert our reviewer when he told me you had a technical problem with a program and were aware of the issue. Let me know if you want to delete the caches or if you would like me to delete them.

Good luck, was glad I spoke with Tom otherwise I was really gonna be upset.

Steve (Ritz Crackers)

Edited by Ritz Crackers

Caches for Adoption!

The BadSquirrel family is relocating to the Boise area the first week of August. We will miss our friends here and the *amazing* caching experiences.

If anyone would like to adopt our caches, please e-mail us; otherwise we'll archive them in late July. (Of course the puzzles may reappear in Idaho.)

Check my profile page...there aren't a heck of a lot of them, but we think they are pretty good quality. Specifically the Sleeping Beauty series.

Cheers,

-BadSquirrel

Caches for Adoption!

The BadSquirrel family is relocating to the Boise area the first week of August. We will miss our friends here and the *amazing* caching experiences.

If anyone would like to adopt our caches, please e-mail us; otherwise we'll archive them in late July. (Of course the puzzles may reappear in Idaho.)

Check my profile page...there aren't a heck of a lot of them, but we think they are pretty good quality. Specifically the Sleeping Beauty series.

Cheers,

-BadSquirrel

Instead of archiving them, let them run its course... Then Marko will for sure archive them... :laughing:

Hey guys... me and my girl are new to geocaching and also live in San Diego. Looks like we missed the event mentioned in this post. Hey fatman, is the event thread your talkign about the GS event page with all event's listed? or is there a special San Diego page i'm missing Thanks for the info, didn't mean to hi-jack Bills question\post.

No worries on hi-jacking my post. I missed this GS event page, where is that at?

I am still slowly learning my GPS unit. I took an REI class a couple weekends ago. It was very informative. The instructor knew about all the different units that people brought. We inserted some waypoints for geocaches and then went looking for them. Now I am trying to figure out Mapsource and how to use that with my maps on my Oregon 450t.

Does anyone in San Diego need a GPSr? I have an old yellow Garmin etrex that still works great and in very good shape. It does use a serial cable though so you have to either have a serial port or buy a USB to Serial port adapter. I am not looking for any money for it, but I do want it to go to someone who actually would use it.

Here is an image of the model from Garmin site:

cf-lg.jpg

Paul

Team Adelos

Hello everyone,

Thank you,

Bill

Welcome Bil,

It's called San Diego event's but hasn't been used lately so usally a event will gewt posted on this thread.

Does anyone in San Diego need a GPSr? I have an old yellow Garmin etrex that still works great and in very good shape. It does use a serial cable though so you have to either have a serial port or buy a USB to Serial port adapter. I am not looking for any money for it, but I do want it to go to someone who actually would use it.

cf-lg.jpg

Paul

Team Adelos

IF this GPS is still available, my nephew would be stoked!

cf-lg.jpg

Paul

Team Adelos

Yup.. Still have it and it is now yours. I sent an email to you, just let me know what works.

Paul

TA

cf-lg.jpg

Paul

Team Adelos

Yup.. Still have it and it is now yours. I sent an email to you, just let me know what works.

Paul

TA

Wow! those were the days. The Splashes used that very model to accomplish

their first-few-thousand finds by punching-in each and every waypoint by

hand and by printing out cache descriptions by the ream to take along on

Geocache outings. Then came the first San Diego County Paperless Caching

Event ... the rest is history.

674ee1af-4d2d-46ba-ab7f-8dde7c4d0202.jpg

Maybe it would be best for every new Geocacher to start in the old way.

c26a8c2e-7ace-4caf-b18f-95c3b2de15ba.jpg

4/6/2005 - PqMommy - the first of the PUD Cakes!

5ec9d005-fb83-4d7c-ab4c-fdeac581d11a.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

it appears it has been awhile since anyone posted in this thread so I started a new one....can anyone help?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=277680

apparently I have LITTLE IDEA what I'm doing...you guys are busy here

Can anyone help me figure out a good busy large cache for some geocoins and travelbugs in the Escondido and/or San Diego (or Oceanside/Carlsbad) area?

Those who started these travelbugs and geocoins would be very appreciative! (as would I)

Hey there,

Has anyone else been noticing that all the coins and trackables seem to be missing from the caches? Showing on the web page and not in the cache.

Have a coin and trackable I would like to get out there but makes me nervous to see how many are missing.

HAppy Hunting,

Journeyites :D

Hey there,

Has anyone else been noticing that all the coins and trackables seem to be missing from the caches? Showing on the web page and not in the cache.

Have a coin and trackable I would like to get out there but makes me nervous to see how many are missing.

HAppy Hunting,

Journeyites :D

General travel bugs are ok but sometimes people place them in high risk caches that get muggled. Geocoins often end up taken and dont show back up. I have had dozens disappear. unfortunately.

Paul

Say, I ran into a shocking rumor just t'other day.

Claim was that a big ol' feller that most of us know

has stopped earning his keep. Heard he's layin' around

th' house and amusin' himself by tossing telephone poles

about b'tween meals.

Hate t' hear a thang like that ... when a great big

feller shirks his load then three or four little

fellers have t' take up the slack. Don't seem right

t' me.

Whut next? Somebody please tell me it ain't so.

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies

has stopped earning his keep. Heard he's layin' th'

house and amusin' himself by tossing telephone poles

about b'tween meals.

t' me.

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Harmon, you, of all people, should know better than to believe in rumors. (Starting them, of course, is a whole 'nother story...)

Very sad news... :( :( :( Jerry Schad -- Stage 4 cancer... End of the trail...

I visit with Jerry and his wife regularly. I am happy to share with him collective or individual well wishes and notes of appreciation from our GC community.

-Don

Jerry was my astronomy instructor when I attended Mesa College back in [transmission garbled]. I really liked how he transmitted his enthusiasm for the subject. This is very sad news.

Greetings,

I am Robert, aka Jubeloh. I was introduced to caching about a year ago by Indiana Ed (currently serving in Iraq). Little did he know that he was creating a monster. So far in my travels I have met Blonde HiLites and Triple Crown. The thing I like most about this hobby is that it takes me to places that I otherwise never would have visited. Not too long ago I finally took the plunge and bought a premium membership...so now I have access to even moooooore caches!

Edited by Jubeloh

has stopped earning his keep. Heard he's layin' around

th' house and amusin' himself by tossing telephone poles

about b'tween meals.

t' me.

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Harmon, you, of all people, should know better than to believe in rumors. (Starting them, of course, is a whole 'nother story...)

Well, at least I've qualified my source ... or maybe I do need

hearing aids.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Greetings,

I am Robert, aka Jubeloh. I was introduced to caching about a year ago by Indiana Ed (currently serving in Iraq). Little did he know that he was creating a monster. So far in my travels I have met Blonde HiLites and Triple Crown. The thing I like most about this hobby is that it takes me to places that I otherwise never would have visited. Not too long ago I finally took the plunge and bought a premium membership...so now I have access to even moooooore caches!

Delighted to see you on the Forum threads. I see from your

profile that your Geocaching is off to a good start ... but

you need to start posting gallery photos so's I can get at

your embarrasing moments.

Embarrasing Moments

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies

I visit with Jerry and his wife regularly. I am happy to share with him collective or individual well wishes and notes of appreciation from our GC community.

-Don

sad.gifSo very very sad. Words uttered by most every San Diego hiker: "What does Jerry say about it?". Don I don't think you could express in words what he and his books and columns have done and will continue to do for SoCal hikers. Wish him well and thank him for all of us.

r/ JnJ

-Don

sad.gifSo very very sad. Words uttered by most every San Diego hiker: "What does Jerry say about it?". Don I don't think you could express in words what he and his books and columns have done and will continue to do for SoCal hikers. Wish him well and thank him for all of us.

r/ JnJ

Will do. I think he will enjoy the "What does Jerry say about it?" line.

Here is a touching post to Reader from a couple of weeks ago that seems to sum up what many feel about Jerry and his contributions.

Posted by: "Capt Bivy"

Thu Jul 7, 2011 5:16 pm (PDT)

I guess it's out now, Jerry Schad is dying. He told his friends three months ago. He had just had his kidney out, but was told it was too late. The cancer he has is extremely aggressive and the doctors only gave him a few months. I've thought about him everyday since. Recently my facebook "who are your heros" page was changed. They are MLK, RFK, and Jerry Schad. I haven't communicated with him much. Didn't know what to say, and everytime I think about it I cry.

I had two memorable trips with Jerry. The first one was dayhiking Mt Whitney in 10.5 hours (we ran back). The second was hiking the Santa Rosa Mountains (from Toro Peak to Rabbit to Villager to S-22). Jerry was very fast, having been an adventure runner. I remember being jealous of his trail runners while I wore boots. He supported my club, being the first few to join back in 1991.

I always considered him the finest trail book writer in the world. Most writers are hikers first, and write the books because no one else has. Jerry is a writer who was one of the first to hike the all the areas in his book, but he was also a geologist, a geographer, a biologist, a physical scientist. In fact he wrote a physical science book for his classes because he had something to say. Jerry is a true treasure. Everyone knows this. EVERYONE!

Jerry, thank you for being the "John Muir" of San Diego and opening up the wilderness to thousands of people.

Greetings,

Delighted to see you on the Forum threads. I see from your

profile that your Geocaching is off to a good start ... but

you need to start posting gallery photos so's I can get at

your embarrasing moments.

Embarrasing Moments

Harmon

SD Rowdies

I tend to cache by myself, and cameras and I are not on good terms (unless I'm the one operating said camera).