The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

This is a copy of an e-mail I received and my response.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, May 9, 2006 1:16 PM

Subject: Re: [GEO] ********** contacting GoBolts! from Geocaching.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not within the guide lines....Have they all been approved? no

Are they at least .1 mile from each other? no.

It's called cheating or padding your numbers....

And why does it mater to me?

Because my number are legitimate numbers...but when cachers cheat it affects the

rankings...and ruins the sport for everyone (except the cheaters).

---- ********..... wrote:

> --This message was sent through http://www.geocaching.com --

>

> So tell me why this matters. The temp caches that people are logging on my

event are all with in the guide lines. They all had log books! So please humor

me why this bothers you so much!

>

Edited by GoBolts!

How about allowing only one log per cache, I'd even be willing to delete finds for the following caches, virtuals, event caches some type of icon other then a smily. locationless, and earth caches.

But then there are still the ones that log, well I know I was in the right place but couldnt find it so I'm logging it as a find anyway. It;s all BS

Subject: Re: [GEO] russell_53040 contacting GoBolts! from Geocaching.com

Because my number are legitimate numbers...but when cachers cheat it affects the

---- russell..... wrote:

>

>

Here's another one from the same person

Hi there just read your post. I feel the same way but to a point. I

feel if you can confirm that you have been to the spot by either singing

the log book or telling the person some info that you could only know if

you were there it should be a find. If you can't do that it's not a

find. This hobby is changing. People are playing as they see fit. It's

also BS when some of the people that are complaining are doing the same

thing. I can tell you of at least 2 of the people complaining that are

also logging there own event and did it more than once. At my event and

it was the Geocachers invade Kewaskum I had log books in all my caches.

I checked and will check all the people that log them to make sure they

did sign the log. Each state has there own what you can and can not do.

In ILL you are allowed to put caches on bridges. Not here you can't! I

have done a few of them. I don't know about you but I go caching to

have fun. The numbers is just a reference so I know what ones I di

d and is just my own personal goal. I guess it's the way you want to

play.Well just wanted to share my thoughts with you in an email.

heres my answer to him

In my eyes if the log isn't signed it's not a find. I've dried out logs, replaced full logs.If for some reason I can't sign the log its not a find. There have been a few caches that I have looked for that have been muggled and there was no log and I didn't have a spare log with me, I didn't get a smiley for those caches. Just because you think your in the right spot and can't find the cache is no reason to to get a smiley

Edited by vagabond

-snip- It's been complained about a lot, in fact Criminal has a thread about this going in the main forums

That's where I found the links that I posted above. I had heard about it, and originally thought, "Oh well, to each their own." Then, when I realized that some of the cachers in the "Top 150" have logged 800+ event finds, I changed my tune. What a crock!

I think it would be really funny to see the site ban more than one "Found it" per cache. It's already that way for TBs isn't it?

Then, they could retroactively delete all of the double posts. I'd love to see the standings after that happened!

I would love that too! <_< Speaking of cheaters I've been thinking about that subject as Bonds approaches Babe Ruth's HR record. Bond's record will never going to mean as much because it's a tainted record. Bonds is being booed every place he goes because most people feel that way. But the interesting thing is that Babe Ruth hit 714 HRs with 789 less at bats than it has taken Bonds so far! :rolleyes:

Anyhow here is what I have to say to those cheaters out there: BOOOOOO!

Now I feel better! :unsure:

I know we hashed this out before...but while I was crusing the forums instead of working...I came across a thread about logging "pocket caches" at events. (While I must admit, there are several cachers in our area that I wouldn't mind walking up to and asking, "Is that a cache in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?", I can't believe how many times people are logging an event to claim finds on these caches!

Kind of makes the whole discussion of power trails in MTRP seem rather moot. Why bother hiking a mile to log 10 caches when you can bag a couple dozen just by showing up... <_<:unsure::rolleyes:

-snip-

I can tell you of at least 2 of the people complaining that are

also logging there own event and did it more than once.

-snip-

Well, I have been complaining, and I have logged my own event. Although never more than once.

I guess I figured an event is different than a normal cache. I can't "find" my own cache. (Sometimes in reality as well as figuratively!) However, I can attend an event, even if is is my own. In reality, an event shouldn't really be a "find" anyway. Usually, you are told right where it is, so finding it shouldn't be a challenge...usually... :rolleyes:

-snip-

I can tell you of at least 2 of the people complaining that are

also logging there own event and did it more than once.

-snip-

Well, I have been complaining, and I have logged my own event. Although never more than once.

I guess I figured an event is different than a normal cache. I can't "find" my own cache. (Sometimes in reality as well as figuratively!) However, I can attend an event, even if is is my own. In reality, an event shouldn't really be a "find" anyway. Usually, you are told right where it is, so finding it shouldn't be a challenge...usually... :rolleyes:

It perfectly OK to "attend" any event once.

Edited by TrailGators

It appears they justify the multiple finds due to the temp caches they place for the event. I don't agree with it, but that appears to be the short answer.

I can assure you no one is going to claim multiple finds at the MTRP event and get away with it :rolleyes: .

Oh, crud! I've got 859 temporary caches (all with log books) in the trunk of my car. They were all set to go for the MTRP event...

<_<:unsure::unsure::blink::ph34r::blink:

Oh, crud! I've got 859 temporary caches (all with log books) in the trunk of my car. They were all set to go for the MTRP event...

:rolleyes::ph34r:<_<:unsure::unsure::blink:

Unless you can take them out of the trunk to log them, I bet the last 500 will be really hard to find! :blink:

---- russell..... wrote:

>

>

It amazes me as to what peoples minds allow them to justify as correct. How can you attend one event, not leave the table, drink beer, eat pizza and at the end the night you have 50 more finds because you signed a few logs. I personally won't even Beta-test a cache as it does seem like much of a challenge to find a cache that I was present during its hide and it hasn't been approved yet. Others feel differently about this and I don't begrudge them the find because at least they were there and signed the log but they didn't sign 50 of them. Just my two cents worth on the subject.

:(;):P;):P;)

Unless you can take them out of the trunk to log them, I bet the last 500 will be really hard to find! :P

I didn't want to make it too easy... :P

Actually, this gives me an idea for a contest for some future picnic...

We can call it the Great Midwest Event Speed Caching Contest. It's a lot like the speed eating contests. We get a whole truckload of M&M tubes outfitted with log and golf pencil. The idea is to open the tube, pull out the log, sign and date the log (no stickers!), roll up the log and put the log and pencil back into the tube. The person who "logs" the most "caches" in 5 minutes wins.

---- russell..... wrote:

>

>

It amazes me as to what peoples minds allow them to justify as correct. How can you attend one event, not leave the table, drink beer, eat pizza and at the end the night you have 50 more finds because you signed a few logs. I personally won't even Beta-test a cache as it does seem like much of a challenge to find a cache that I was present during its hide and it hasn't been approved yet. Others feel differently about this and I don't begrudge them the find because at least they were there and signed the log but they didn't sign 50 of them. Just my two cents worth on the subject.

I've given some thought about beta-testing too. To me a cache records your visit to a certain location (coords) during an enjoyable hike. I love reading back through my logs to see all the cool places I've been. It seems silly to me not to sign the log when you are with someone that places a cache and then to return later to log it when you already know where it is. Anyhow, we will all never agree on everything. But I think we can all agree that it is OK to log a find for each slice of pizza you eat at an event! :P

---- russell..... wrote:

>

>

I've given some thought about beta-testing too. To me a cache records your visit to a certain location (coords) during an enjoyable hike. I love reading back through my logs to see all the cool places I've been. It seems silly to me not to sign the log when you are with someone that places a cache and then to return later to log it when you already know where it is. Anyhow, we will all never agree on everything. But I think we can all agree that it is OK to log a find for each slice of pizza you eat at an event! :P

If the slice has anchovies on it, you can log two finds. :(

Picture this: You're on a 3 or 4 mile hike on a scenic trail with good friends on a beautiful Saturday morning and you find maybe a handful of caches along the way. You stop every once in a while and take pictures, have a snack and just enjoy the time you're having. This is why we all started geocaching in the first place.

Now picture the other people doing nothing but showing up at a few events and trying to think of ways they can out do each other in the number of logs they can get.

I don't particularly care what they do with their numbers. I imagine that trail again and think about what they are missing. I believe my time was much better spent.

I almost feel sorry for them…Almost.

One more thing, I love the San Diego Geocachers. What a great bunch of people. We all hike together, bike ride together and attend these events together. And what other area has a thread dedicated to "Let's all tackle that cache together".

Shoot, if it wasn't for Geocaching, we'd all be strangers. Imagine that.

Too bad those other people couldn't be like us.

Edited by Toby's Gang

Picture this: You're on a 3 or 4 mile hike on a scenic trail with good friends on a beautiful Saturday morning and you find maybe a handful of caches along the way. You stop every once in a while and take pictures, have a snack and just enjoy the time you're having. This is why we all started geocaching in the first place.

Now picture the other people doing nothing but showing up at a few events and trying to think of ways they can out do each other in the number of logs they can get.

I don't particularly care what they do with their numbers. I imagine that trail again and think about what they are missing. I believe my time was much better spent.

One more thing, I love the San Diego Geocachers. What a great bunch of people. We all hike together, bike ride together and attend these events together. And what other area has a thread dedicated to "Let's all tackle that cache together".

We Rock!

PS Thanks Dave (C4) for firing up the forums. <_<

PPS I am guilty of logging my own events (once per event). I also logged my dog's cache as a find. :mad:

In about 6 weeks to 2 months we also will be leaving. We have decided to fulltime it in the MH.

I have 2 caches left in the San Diego area, the buzzing might be rattlesnakes gc1427 and the evil gc9352 its too easy, also one other needs adopting gc1ca8 second out of the chute by Yrium and myself its actually his cache. I do plan on coming down in the next week or so and replace the logs in at least 2nd out of the chute and its too easy.

Anyone interested in adopting some old SD caches <_<

Geko Dad has asked for it, but if he changes his mind your welcome to it

Standing by to adopt Buzzing, Vagabond. If you initiate the invitation via the website, I will accept it.

-GD

In about 6 weeks to 2 months we also will be leaving. We have decided to fulltime it in the MH.

I have 2 caches left in the San Diego area, the buzzing might be rattlesnakes gc1427 and the evil gc9352 its too easy, also one other needs adopting gc1ca8 second out of the chute by Yrium and myself its actually his cache. I do plan on coming down in the next week or so and replace the logs in at least 2nd out of the chute and its too easy.

Anyone interested in adopting some old SD caches <_<

Geko Dad has asked for it, but if he changes his mind your welcome to it

Standing by to adopt Buzzing, Vagabond. If you initiate the invitation via the website, I will accept it.

-GD

I thought I had? maybe not

Well said! If somebody had told me that geocaching was about signing a bunch of logbooks at Pizza Hut I'd be doing something else for sure!

Here's what I think about those guys out there:

c05d8279-288c-477a-9757-8b21472cf13d.jpg

I'm glad that we have a great group of cachers out here! <_<

Edited by TrailGators

Whats up? Wish I could make it down for the MTRP hike but I have to work till 7 p.m and I see your leaving at 8 pm and my drive is 1 1/2 hours. I need that 12 mile hike to get me ready for San Jacinto next month. I replied on the event page in Wisconsin and I think what they are doing is devaluating finds. They can defend their pocket caches all they want. If the PC's they are talking about are so legit, then why are they logging it as an event? Just another way for cachers to justify easy finds I guess. Have fun on your hike. Man, I really want to go. <_<

here are a couple of emails I go from the Wisconsin cachers

--This message was sent through http://www.geocaching.com --

Hughescrew,

In Wisconsin the way events are done are that there are many

"temporary" caches created for the event. These caches are just as

challenging, some more so, than regular caches. Some states establish temporary

cahces and then tell you to log them on a regualr traditional cahce page. Each

state handles events differently, and just like religion, there is no wrong

answer.

Your profile didn't say where you are from but I see that you have cached most

recently in California; things may be done differently in CA than in Wisconsin,

just as in other states.

Keep in mind, this is a hobby and people play it different and for different

reasons. Again -- there are no right or wrong answers.

I was at the event in Kewaskum and it took all day to find very cleverly hidden

caches that were located in various locations throughout the town. Why do you

care what my numbers or anyone else's are? We found these caches just like any

others and I don't understand how that is "cheating" please explain

your logic. Thank you.

They are logging the temp caches that were placed. Thats why you see so many

people logging this.

Edited by HughesCrew
Whats up? Wish I could make it down for the MTRP hike but I have to work till 7 p.m and I see your leaving at 8 pm and my drive is 1 1/2 hours. I need that 12 mile hike to get me ready for San Jacinto next month. I replied on the event page in Wisconsin and I think what they are doing is devaluating finds. They can defend their pocket caches all they want. If the PC's they are talking about are so legit, then why are they logging it as an event? Just another way for cachers to justify easy finds I guess. Have fun on your hike. Man, I really want to go. ;)

Hughescrew,

answer.

just as in other states.

your logic. Thank you.

people logging this.

They are bypassing the cache approval process. Seems like GC has a hole in the dike to me....

I believe a lot of us are missing the big issue here. I'm going to have to agree with what the Midwest cachers are doing. Many of the Midwest states have severe restrictions on cache placements based on local and state laws (no cache placements in state parks, local parks, etc) along with organizational guidelines that assist in implementing proper geocaching etiquette. "Temporary" event cache placements are common and are sometimes the only caches found during a typical event, we're just lucky to have the access we have here in San Diego!

Does geocaching.com have cacher rankings? NO, because it's a family oriented sport that isn't concerned about the #'s, but the experience!! For those of you who are obsessed with the numbers and find it necessary to beat your stats and "rules" down upon other cachers or organizations I suggest you might want to re-evaluate the reasons why you geocache and how your actions reflect upon yourself and how the community at a whole views you.

If this is really about logging your "find", temporary or not, why can't someone log an event multiple times to record their "experience" for each of the unique caches that someone took time to place? With that questioned posed we have cachers spinning out a 50 to 100 cache find days and then precede to cut-and-paste the same comment into each cache they find, in my opinion I find this insulting to the cache owner. However, they have every right to log a find or their experiance however they see fit, that's what makes geocaching.com so interesting, each find is an individuals experiance recorded at that moment in time, some are better reading than others.

As others have said, "San Diego has a great group of cachers" so lets work to keep it that way and not tarnish our image due to insignificant issues that truly come down to personal views.

PW

Hughescrew,

answer.

just as in other states.

your logic. Thank you.

people logging this.

I believe a lot of us are missing the big issue here. I'm going to have to agree with what the Midwest cachers are doing. Many of the Midwest states have severe restrictions on cache placements based on local and state laws (no cache placements in state parks, local parks, etc) along with organizational guidelines that assist in implementing proper geocaching etiquette. "Temporary" event cache placements are common and are sometimes the only caches found during a typical event, we're just lucky to have the access we have here in San Diego!

Does geocaching.com have cacher rankings? NO, because it's a family oriented sport that isn't concerned about the #'s, but the experience!! For those of you who are obsessed with the numbers and find it necessary to beat your stats and "rules" down upon other cachers or organizations I suggest you might want to re-evaluate the reasons why you geocache and how your actions reflect upon yourself and how the community at a whole views you.

If this is really about logging your "find", temporary or not, why can't someone log an event multiple times to record their "experience" for each of the unique caches that someone took time to place? With that questioned posed we have cachers spinning out a 50 to 100 cache find days and then precede to cut-and-paste the same comment into each cache they find, in my opinion I find this insulting to the cache owner. However, they have every right to log a find or their experiance however they see fit, that's what makes geocaching.com so interesting, each find is an individuals experiance recorded at that moment in time, some are better reading than others.

As others have said, "San Diego has a great group of cachers" so lets work to keep it that way and not tarnish our image due to insignificant issues that truly come down to personal views.

PW

Some of those people have attended ~1000 events. Don't you think that's a bit absurd?

Does geocaching.com have cacher rankings? NO, because it's a family oriented sport that isn't concerned about the #'s, but the experience!!
I think it's important to note that geocaching.com DOES NOT PREVENT multiple finds on a cache, which they could easily do if they felt such a restriction was necessary. ;)
Does geocaching.com have cacher rankings? NO, because it's a family oriented sport that isn't concerned about the #'s, but the experience!!
I think it's important to note that geocaching.com DOES NOT PREVENT multiple finds on a cache, which they could easily do if they felt such a restriction was necessary. :D

Is that buttered popcorn you have there? It looks good! ;)

I think it's important to note that geocaching.com DOES NOT PREVENT multiple finds on a cache, which they could easily do if they felt such a restriction was necessary. :D

Is that buttered popcorn you have there? It looks good! B)

Actually, I think it's some kind of deadly combination of coconut oil and yellow dye #5? ;)

We can turn this around and say, if it ain't about the #s at all, then why keep a count of any find?

Temp caches may violate the GC guidelines against cache saturation; they certainly are outside the purview of "sanctioned" reviewers. Allowing this practice to continue appears hypocritical to me.

I'll rephrase it this way: each find should be based on a cache reviewed and authorized by an authorized reviewer.

Edited by Chuy!
I'll rephrase it this way: each find should be based on a cache reviewed and authorized by an authorized reviewer.
I think the issues are being well debated in this thread. I like the analogy of someone trying to log every waypoint in a multi-cache but even that analogy fails when you consider that the waypoints in a multi also have to go thru a review process. Unfortunately, I just don't think the practice will end as long as the web site allows it. ;)
I think the issues are being well debated in this thread. I like the analogy of someone trying to log every waypoint in a multi-cache but even that analogy fails when you consider that the waypoints in a multi also have to go thru a review process. Unfortunately, I just don't think the practice will end as long as the web site allows it. ;)

It should be the cache / event owners decision how they want to monitor multiple logs base on waypoints or "temp" event caches. Just like virtuals you must follow the owners requirements for logging to get one or more smiley's.

Examples:

3.gifBorrego Backcountry Linked Caches

3.gifBorrego Backcountry Linked Caches Part 2

It should be the cache / event owners decision how they want to monitor multiple logs base on waypoints or "temp" event caches. Just like virtuals you must follow the owners requirements for logging to get one or more smiley's.

Examples:

3.gifBorrego Backcountry Linked Caches

3.gifBorrego Backcountry Linked Caches Part 2

Yup, "to each their own", as they say. Those cache descriptions don't explicitly say to log each waypoint, though -- if I had been the first one to try that series, I probably would have written notes until I found them all. As I said, people can (and will) do whatever the web site allows them to do.

I disagree, there should be consistent guidelines with regards to pocket caches and temp caches. Some owners allow it, others don't. I say no for the reason's stated above.

Virtuals are not part of this discussion cause the owners are following GC established guidelines. The owners are allowed, by design, to "demand" acceptable prerequisites to claim a find. In other words virtuals are part of the reviewing process. Pocket caches and temp caches are not.

The more I think about the multiple-claim-temp cache cachers, the more I think the #s are important to them. Otherwise, why bother logging in all those finds?

The more I think about the multiple-claim-temp cache cachers, the more I think the #s are important to them. Otherwise, why bother logging in all those finds?

I believe it was for the benefit of the cacher who placed the temp caches. I guess a note wouldn't have the same effect. Yeah, that's it.

D!

From another thread last year:

His (Mopar's) point is that it might be impossible or extremely difficult to do the programming that would be required to make it possible for the Temp caches to show up as a different Icon in the stats.

The point is irrelevant. Temp caches aren't allowed on the site. And as I indicated in countless threads in the past, I think logging attended twice for an event is stupid, and posting additional logs to "match" whatever "count" you determined your numbers should be is equally stupid. However I have no plans to be the point police and create complicated rules for determining what counts as a find. That is up to the cache listing owner to decide.

However I do reserve the right to stop abuse on this web site, and frown highly upon fake logs on archived caches (or any cache) just to boost numbers here - such as counting finds on other listing sites. Just because I don't want to be the point police doesn't mean I can't take appropriate action against the users who decide to abuse the features of this site.

But as I also said before, I don't lose sleep over it. I stand by my stance that there are no "points" for geocaching and no score to be kept. The site does not keep score but simply offers a history of your finds.

we're just lucky to have the access we have here in San Diego!

We are lucky! There are 28,454 caches in California. That is about the same amount that are in these 7 Midwest states combined:

4015 caches in Illinois

5156 caches in Indiana

1693 caches in Iowa

4823 caches in Michigan

3365 caches in Minnesota

4979 caches in Ohio

4079 caches in Wisconsin

First let me begin by saying HiYA! I have cached several times in CA and will do so again. My last trip out there was to San Diego last fall where I did several of the caches around the University (The Forbidden Forest is one of the best I have ever done!)

As far as our event caches go, we "generally" hide them following the guidelines as set forth at www.geocaching.com for cache placement. The exception being that they are temporary in nature, proximity rules are less stringent and they are not reviewed for approval. These are not logs just passed around a table, they are hidden like any other cache you are likely to find. We have at times hundreds of cachers show up to these events because it is a great way to meet others and to get a sampling of caches in an organized fashion.

The way I see my numbers is that if I find it, it’s a find. I don’t log the pasta salad, just the caches that require a GPS, a walk and a logbook. There are regional differences in many games even where there are set rules, come on who hasn’t put money in the middle of the Monopoly board for whoever lands on the free parking space?

And yes the numbers are important to me. If I spend 6 hours hunting down 20 event caches I want to have them posted for my record and historical review. I don’t care if they are globally known and in fact I think event caches should be treated completely separately from other finds. They have their own category but unfortunately they count in the grand total of ones finds. If it were up to me they would not count in that way. So I log some of the event caches as a record of my finds (because I did find them); right or wrong I guess that’s up to the individual....

First let me begin by saying HiYA! I have cached several times in CA and will do so again. My last trip out there was to San Diego last fall where I did several of the caches around the University (The Forbidden Forest is one of the best I have ever done!)

As far as our event caches go, we "generally" hide them following the guidelines as set forth at www.geocaching.com for cache placement. The exception being that they are temporary in nature, proximity rules are less stringent and they are not reviewed for approval. These are not logs just passed around a table, they are hidden like any other cache you are likely to find. We have at times hundreds of cachers show up to these events because it is a great way to meet others and to get a sampling of caches in an organized fashion.

The way I see my numbers is that if I find it, it's a find. I don't log the pasta salad, just the caches that require a GPS, a walk and a logbook. There are regional differences in many games even where there are set rules, come on who hasn't put money in the middle of the Monopoly board for whoever lands on the free parking space?

And yes the numbers are important to me. If I spend 6 hours hunting down 20 event caches I want to have them posted for my record and historical review. I don't care if they are globally known and in fact I think event caches should be treated completely separately from other finds. They have their own category but unfortunately they count in the grand total of ones finds. If it were up to me they would not count in that way. So I log some of the event caches as a record of my finds (because I did find them); right or wrong I guess that's up to the individual....

Hi Lostby7, why can't any of these caches be posted on the GC site?

we're just lucky to have the access we have here in San Diego!

We are lucky! There are 28,454 caches in California. That is about the same amount that are in these 7 Midwest states combined:

4015 caches in Illinois

5156 caches in Indiana

1693 caches in Iowa

4823 caches in Michigan

3365 caches in Minnesota

4979 caches in Ohio

4079 caches in Wisconsin

Well, if you do the math those states listed have approx .07 caches per square mile and California has .18 caches per square mile:

states listed	California
caches			 28,110		   28,454
total sq mi*	   407,141		  155,973

caches per sq mile 0.07			 0.18

Anyone want to do the math for MTRP? ;)

*mileage figures obtained from here

-Steve

Well, OBVIOUSLY, they wouldn't be able to find them at the next event! (running away very fast) ;)

It's a complex murky mess if you ask me. I see things logged as finds that I wouldn't count as well. At the end of the day you just have to ask yourself, "Can I live with what I logged?" The last event I went to there were a dozen or so temps that were virtuals, I logged exactly zero of them. At that event I found and logged what were to become permanent caches that were introduced at the event, and I think two of the event temps that had a log book. That’s what I could live with that day; that’s what was honestly found by me.

Well, OBVIOUSLY, they wouldn't be able to find them at the next event! (running away very fast) ;)

It's a complex murky mess if you ask me. I see things logged as finds that I wouldn't count as well. At the end of the day you just have to ask yourself, "Can I live with what I logged?" The last event I went to there were a dozen or so temps that were virtuals, I logged exactly zero of them. At that event I found and logged what were to become permanent caches that were introduced at the event, and I think two of the event temps that had a log book. That's what I could live with that day; that's what was honestly found by me.

Hehe, well, please don't mind me - I really don't care what other people do! I'm just enjoying the lively discussions going on! :D

Then why not just submit them for review and make them "legit"? It really is more fun that way.

See another principle I see is that you get one "point" for a find, regardless of how long it takes to find. A parking lot multi with ga-zillion waypoints that can take several hours is worth one find, the same as a walk-up cache under a light skirt or behind a guardrail that can take seconds. Therefore, an event should also count as one find, regardless of what's involved behind the scenes.

It seems we approach events differently. I go to socialize, and drink beer; and talk about particular caches, and drink beer; and share caching stories, and drink beer. Doing all those temp caches would really get in the way of beer drinking ;) . One day I want to go to a midwest event, do all the temp caches, and then prouldly claim only the one event find. That'll teach you. :D Would you change your mind then? B)

Edited by Chuy!

Then why not just submit them for review and make them "legit"? It really is more fun that way.

See another principle I see is that you get one "point" for a find, regardless of how long it takes to find. A parking lot multi with ga-zillion waypoints that can take several hours is worth one find, the same as a walk-up cache under a light skirt or behind a guardrail that can take seconds. Therefore, an event should also count as one find, regardless of what's involved behind the scenes.

It seems we approach events differently. I go to socialize, and drink beer; and talk about particular caches, and drink beer; and share caching stories, and drink beer. Doing all those temp caches would really get in the way of beer drinking ;) . One day I want to go to a midwest event, do all the temp caches, and then prouldly claim only the one event find. That'll teach you. :D Would you change your mind then? B)

Beer? This is Wisconsin; we love beer! Hey there are lots of us who log the event exactly 1 time. Different strokes...I'd love for you to come for a visit and see what goes on at the events. The ones I have seen (about 7 or 8) are really fun and well attended. The hides (which are real) are part of that fun.

Well, OBVIOUSLY, they wouldn't be able to find them at the next event! (running away very fast) :anibad:

It's a complex murky mess if you ask me. I see things logged as finds that I wouldn't count as well. At the end of the day you just have to ask yourself, "Can I live with what I logged?" The last event I went to there were a dozen or so temps that were virtuals, I logged exactly zero of them. At that event I found and logged what were to become permanent caches that were introduced at the event, and I think two of the event temps that had a log book. That’s what I could live with that day; that’s what was honestly found by me.

Just a simple question,if you found a cache that was listed at Navicache or one of the other sites but not listed at GC.com, where would you log it?