Farewell from Bloencustoms

Bloencustoms

I have decided to take a long break from involevment in the caching community. I had let my interest in the social aspect of the sport become more important than actually getting outside and enjoying myself. I'd like to thank those cachers who placed some really fun ones in the SE Louisiana area, I really enjoyed them. I can still get pocket queries, so I might hunt some of the new ones, though I can't promise I'll log them online. Goodbye, for now.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Great, a lurker. You are making the sport less fun for the ones who placed those great caches.

Whether you participate in the forums is your own choise. Not logging online is rude.

I'm really sorry, but I just *have* to say this...

Mr. Knight, please... SHUT THE FRAZZLE-DAZZLING LIMPETS UP!

As a cache hider whose caches may not be logged online because of this, I'm perhaps just a bit saddened at the hypothetical loss, but I'm much more happy to have someone silently enjoying finding my cache than I would be by excluding them. Oh, and as far as rudeness goes... pot, kettle, black.

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

...Mr. Knight, please... SHUT THE FRAZZLE-DAZZLING LIMPETS UP!...pot, kettle, black...

Since my enjoyment is the online logs I really don't give a rats *** about 'silent' enjoyment. Posting a forum suicide note invites the comment especially when people say in so many words "I may not bother logging online".

You are free to enjoy stealth cachers. May you pull your log the day before it's plundered so that you can at least read that part.

Your whining about my comment didn't do anything for the thread. Your comment that you are happy for the silent enjoyment was fine.

Think before you type. You will find that direct and blunt is far different from things like "Shut Up" in what's rude and whats not.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Your whining about my comment didn't do anything for the thread. Your comment that you are happy for the silent enjoyment was fine.

Excuse me, I was apparently unclear with my comment. It was not whining, it was a direct command. I was telling you to shut the h-e-double-hockeysticks up, but in a somewhat less direct way.

*YOU* are not a SE Louisiana cacher; *I* am a SE Louisiana cacher. *YOU* have not met Bloencustoms; *I* have met Bloencustoms. *YOU* have no right to expect people to log *my* caches for *your* enjoyment; *I* can *want* people to log *my* caches, but if that's something they can't do for some reason, hey, at least there's a cache out there to find!

You claim that not logging online is "making the sport less fun for the ones who placed those great caches", and I am calling you on it. I *am* one of those who placed some of those great caches, and if Bloencustoms doesn't log online, it doesn't make anything one iota less fun. It's *NOT* a zero-sum game! Sure, logging online can make it *more* fun for people (hey, I write *Watcher*, for the love of Pete!), but not logging online doesn't somehow magically extract fun from geocaching. (I have never given you $100, but that doesn't mean I'm stealing money from you.)

I've been sick of the entitlement crowd in these forums for a long time, but I've dealt with it by staying quiet and doing my best to help in what ways I can. However, when you come to this forum and post against one of our Louisiana cachers about something that has nothing to do with you, you have crossed the line. Bloencustoms owes you nothing, and frankly, you owe Louisiana an apology.

(Note: I'm exceedingly narrow-memoried. This thread won't affect anything but this thread; if you have a Watcher request, I'll get to it as soon as I can, just like anyone else's. I just can't stand for someone posting unjustifiably against a cacher that I myself know and count among our Louisiana group. Incidentally, no, I'm not Cajun, but I imagine I could hold my own against even Buck8Point... hehe... (Hey, B8P, did you get that jambalaya rig?))

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

I also agree with ClayJar. His "cleanbreak" was not a ranting complaintfest as so many of the recent suicides have been. It was an informative post directed at local cachers in the local forum. To me it was better than just vaporizing off the map where no one knows what happened to him. At least his friends know why and where he is going.

Bloencustoms, you will be missed. It has been a treat to chat with you in #geocache. If you can slip in there every now and then it would be a nice. If nothing else, take a break for a while and come back to the crowd. Your login will be there and you can come on back.

And... I go to my caches and read the logbooks. I'm sure local cachers would be honored to go check the cache and see a log in the logbook from you. If you ever get to Atlanta feel free to give one or two of mine a shot! Of course, you gotta' find them before you can log them!!! icon_wink.gif

EDIT: Corrected "every" in the second paragraph.

[This message was edited by mtn-man on August 20, 2003 at 11:22 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by cleanbreak:

I have decided to take a long break from involevment in the caching community. I had let my interest in the social aspect of the sport become more important than actually getting outside and enjoying myself. I'd like to thank those cachers who placed some really fun ones in the SE Louisiana area, I really enjoyed them. I can still get pocket queries, so I might hunt some of the new ones, though I can't promise I'll log them online. Goodbye, for now.

BC! Say it ain't so! Was it something I said? Was it the chat taking too much of your time? Because you really weren't there all that much, stats'll show it. Golly we'll miss you. You're not archiving your caches are you? What about your travel bugs? Like I said, we'll miss you.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

I agree with everyone in that Knight's comments were uncalled for. I really don't see how not logging a visit online takes anything away from the people who placed the caches. I mean, people are still finding them, they just aren't logging it online. No harm, no foul. As for BC, I don't even know you and I'm not even from Louisiana, but it's always a sad thing to see a good 'cacher leave the sport for any length of time.

quote:
Originally posted by PilotMan:

I agree with everyone in that Knight's comments were uncalled for. I really don't see how not logging a visit online takes anything away from the people who placed the caches. I mean, people are still finding them, they just aren't logging it online. No harm, no foul. As for BC, I don't even know you and I'm not even from Louisiana, but it's always a sad thing to see a good 'cacher leave the sport for any length of time.

It's simple. It's the online logs that I place caches for. If you don't long online I don't get to enjoy the log. Simple as that. You can call the online log a courtesy and it can be as simple as "TNLNSL". It's not a deal breaker to know there are lurkers out there and I'm not going to commit suicide in the forums and pull my caches over it.

Clearly ClayJar doesn't care strongly one way or the other about that part hence his opinion and yours agreeing with ClayJar that it's no big deal. Besides if he knew him personally and is standing up for the guy. Great. The opinion though wasn't personal.

As for "Shut Up" that's just him being a dork. It was uncalled for, though I'll admit he appeard to calm down and explain his postion well towards the end. I don't have any problems with BC and liked them in the forums. However I do think it's rude not to log online and stated so strongly. It's a single opinion and had anyone else annouced that they may not get around to logging online I'd do the same again.

ClayJar: It doesn't matter if BN is in LA or not. The forums are open season. Generally I don't post in the S & SE section because I don't live there (like you said) but with the "All active topics search fucntion" interesting things pop up. As for not taking fun away you have a valid point. But the catch is it would add enjoyment to have the logs from the lurkers. So it really depends on the angle you look at it from. I'm only 50/50 at retriving cache logs before they are plundered. Since we have about 50% lurkers here that's a lot of missing logs.

Renegade Knight hit the nail on the head. If you aren't going to participate fully and follow all the guidelines why even play at all? This farewell topic was meant to draw in goodbyes and "we'll miss you's" and "don't leave's" by the threads creator and thats about it. You see it on all message boards you go to. Personally, I question why people do this. Do they really need to say goodbye to a crowd they have neever really met at all? Its all a feelings game. Of course if he did log his caches online that would mean he is back online and caching again so he'll probably purposely not log online. so confusing to me...

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

OK its time for me to pipe up. I know I am going to regret this ....but.... some of the most fun cache logs I have read are those from accidental finders who really do not know what they have found but followed the lead of those before them and wrote their experience in the log book. This hardly ever appears online in the cache logs but it happens quite frequently. (Never to my caches of course, too well hidden... ahem, just kidding, gonna regrett that too I guess). Anyway, I also know BC from several events and the Magellan hunt locally. I hate to hear of the sudden departure but he has a right to do what he feels is best for him. As for me I would rather a person not send in a logged find than plunder the cache. Each is possible with every finder. As for Mr. Knight, we here in SE Louisiana accept our brothers decision and hope he comes back soon. He has expressed no interest in searching in your part of the country so let us worry about our caches and you worry about who finds your, then we will all be happy icon_wink.gif.

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

quote:
If you aren't going to participate fully and follow all the guidelines why even play at all?

The 'guidelines' (rules) taken from the Geocaching.com FAQ says nothing about logging your finds online.

quote:
Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

Where you place a cache is up to you.

If someone doesn't want to log a find on the cache page - that is totally up to him/her. It doesn't diminish caching at all, IMHO. I am not a 'people' person and got into this and contine to enjoy caching BECAUSE I can cache on my own terms without too many regulations. I log all my finds, but don't feel like I HAVE to.

quote:
This farewell topic was meant to draw in goodbyes and "we'll miss you's" and "don't leave's" by the threads creator and thats about it.

Maybe so, but that's HIS business, and shouldn't get trashed for it.

quote:
It's simple. It's the online logs that I place caches for. If you don't long online I don't get to enjoy the log.

You can if you check on your caches regularly. Even if someone doesn't post a log online, MOST (but not all) do put something in the logbook. That's where the real enjoyment is. There is so much more posted in the cache log that doesn't make it to the online log.

Just my 2 cents worth.

quote:
Originally posted by pnew:

Renegade Knight hit the nail on the head. If you aren't going to participate fully and follow all the guidelines why even play at all? This farewell topic was meant to draw in goodbyes and "we'll miss you's" and "don't leave's" by the threads creator and thats about it. You see it on all message boards you go to. Personally, I question why people do this. Do they really need to say goodbye to a crowd they have neever really met at all? Its all a feelings game. Of course if he did log his caches online that would mean he is back online and caching again so he'll probably purposely not log online. so confusing to me...

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

I think the bit about saying goodbye to people you've never met is off the mark. I've met quite a few Geocachers. This is a social sport. Even if you don't meet them in person, which I'm sure a cachers who was active for a while and had lots of finds has met a few people, you will exchange emails and communicate on message boards with them.

There is no rule that says you have to log online. Geocaching.com is a listing service - while it has the market cornered it is not the only one.

There are quite a few people who's typing and/or grammatical skill makes them ashamed to post notes. Some lack the computer savvy to figure out logs. They do a zipcode search, click on the link - and print the page with the coordinates. I know it's hard for some to grasp - but this is complicated for some people.

I also don't think this message was a typical discussion board 'goodbye' cry for attention. I haven't seen any reply posts from the author or any other posts.

sd

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
There is so much more posted in the cache log that doesn't make it to the online log.

I beg to differ. I've been caching with some of the more experienced cachers in my area and one of them just signs his name in the physical log and places a stamp. Then once he goes online to log he writes very interesting and detailed accounts of what happened or his thoughts. I'm the exact same way. When I'm out caching usually I'm melting in the 90+ degree heat and humidity. I don't want to stay around long to write a descriptive personal account. I leave that for the online log after I've showered and collected my thoughts. The only thing that gets on the paper in the cache log is a note or two, what I took and left, and the sweat dripping off my hand onto the log.

quote:
The 'guidelines' (rules) taken from the Geocaching.com FAQ says nothing about logging your finds online.

You make it sound like its not much of a feature on geocaching.com. Not too many pictures of the experience or room to write is found in the Physical cache log. Why do so many people make the point to do it?

My whole point is why tell us that you can still geocache (invloving time which it seems he's running low on at the moment) when you can't log your find online after you've found it out in the field... due to time constraints.

Yes when a geocacher stops caching it is kind of sad especially one you've met (I've met and gone caching with many in my area too) but I'm stumped on why he would admit he can't promise he's going to log his finds when he goes online to get the cache information and coords.

Why over the past few months have I been getting the impression that cachers who do not participate in the online logging of a cache are held in more esteem than the others. You could say they aren't being selfish by making this a numbers race but you could also say they are quite selfish for not sharing their experiences with others.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by blah blah blah:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Hey Bloencustoms, play the game the way you want. Hmmm... I think this is just a game, right? It has been good to see you type in chat recently. ttyl

I have to admit that i do enjoy seeing caches logged online also. Find myself with a big grin when i look through my email and see an email from the GeoCaching site stating that someone logged one of my caches or one on my watch list icon_smile.gif. The online logs are generally more interesting to read. Like Pnew, if im out in 90+ degree weather fighting thousands of skeeters then my cache log is gonna be pretty skimpy. I wont say its rude not to log online, but yes, i think you should log it online as well, at least for the reasons stated above. Not sure what the harm in logging online would be but of course we dont have a clue as to what your situation is now. Anyways, Bloencustoms, sorry to see you having to make this decision but do wish you goodluck and hope that you return!

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

BC, We've never met, but take care my friend. It' seems that alot of the older cachers in Central FLorida are hanging up their GPS's as well.

http://www.tampabaygeocaching.com/

This from my friend infosponge

Remember when all it took to hide a geocache was some common sense, a GPS, and an ammo can full of stuff? I do.

Remember what it's like to ride your bike for miles down an abandoned forest road with a new geocache bungee-corded to the luggage rack, wondering if that cool spot you saw on the topo map is going to work out? I do.

Remember when you rushed out the door with an hour of daylight, just because you wanted to beat one of your geocaching friends to find it first so that you could try to catch up on their 5-find lead? I do.

Not anymore.

Now you have to consult a lawyer, and beg to The Man to be able to use PUBLIC land.

Now a good adventure consists of finding a bunch of churches.

Now friendy competition or keeping track of stats is a bad thing.

One more old geocaching dinosaur bites the dust.

Knight's initial comments were certianly out of line.

Reef Rats - the game is still finding junk in the woods ~ why should the terms of use bother you?

If Infosponge quit, why should you? Its possible that he has quit because he's visited all of the caches within comfortable driving distance of his home.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bloencustoms:

I have decided to take a long BREAK from involevment in the FORUM community. I had let my interest in the social aspect of the sport become more important than actually getting outside and enjoying myself. I'd like to thank those cachers who placed some really fun ones in the SE Louisiana area, I really enjoyed them. I can still get pocket queries, so I might hunt some of the new ones, though I can't promise I'll log them online. (Because I'm so livid right now I don't want to go to the site.) Goodbye, for now.

That is how the post with which I started the thread should have read. In my haste and anger I wasn't clear enough. I got sick of rude comments from people in the forum, to the point of creating a sockpuppet to lash out at the worst of the "meanies". This puppet was quickly exposed by someone, and that was it for me. Other sock puppets continue to harass people unchecked. Arrogant forum snobs continue to make rude comments. It almost seems like there is a group of people who can do no wrong in the eyes of the moderators. I saw a post mentioning an offensive word cause a thread to be locked by a moderator. Then the same word was mentioned by one of the "immune" and the thread continued. I have continued caching without pause, and enjoyed the heck out of it. So, if the forums are indeed moderated, any rude responses to this post will be promptly penalized.

lol man I think I can respect the revised version of the post. If I was so pissed off at someone or some group I don't think anyone would stop me from not logging my finds either. I see some of the immatureity in this message board system and some great advice was given in a thread not to long ago. When angered to a point by flippent comments, if one just steps away from his computer or simply close his browser it fixes alot of things as far as irrational posts and overexagerated comments goes. After all this is just a message board and for some people its their whole life. I told myself I'd take 3 days away from these boards after I was all worked up myself and I can safely say it did the trick. There needs to be a huge banner on the main message board page that reads "EVERYONE CHILL".

as far as threatening "any rude responses to this post will be promptly penalized." that was kind of silly. Have a little faith in what you just said and people (like myself) will respect you for it. Hope you've enjoyed your recent cache outings too...

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bloencustoms:

It wasn't meant as a threat, rather an experiment. icon_wink.gif I figured that it would be the ultimate in irony if a rude post followed that comment without a moderator stepping in. And yes, the caching has been great. I held off posting for a good month, and it certainly gives fresh perspective. "Take a break" is good advice indeed.

Hey BC, I have been watching this one rather than posting to it, as I didn't understand what the big deal was to begin with. I am under the obviously mistaken impression that there are much worse things in life to worry about than if someone wants to take a break from (pick one) hunting caches, posting in the forums, placing caches, reading the forums, or logging finds either online or off... but I'm silly that way sometimes.

Some of you seriously have too much time on your hands...lol. If BC had just taken the break without coming in here to let some of his friends know about it, then you'd have never known and couldn't have made such silly (IMHO) remarks about it.

Let it go..... just let it go.......

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."