Abusive log entries and messages

Hello all!

We had a geocacher with a vulgar GC name leave an off color comment when he "found" a cache of ours. We reported the username and deleted the log. He then relogged the cache, and sent us a threatening message through the website. I am a little alarmed, and not sure who we can get to help us. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Bill

13 minutes ago, mokuaikaua said:

Hello all!

We had a geocacher with a vulgar GC name leave an off color comment when he "found" a cache of ours. We reported the username and deleted the log. He then relogged the cache, and sent us a threatening message through the website. I am a little alarmed, and not sure who we can get to help us. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Bill

Add the new information in a response to HQ. Don't start a new complaint. Add it to the other one.

• Helpful 3

Thanks for the replies everyone. We heard back from HQ, and they said they would deal with it.  His username was changed, and has now been changed back so something vulgar, and just marked a bunch of our caches as missing. I have moved all of our caches to premium only, hopefully that helps.

Anyone else every experience anything like this?

48 minutes ago, mokuaikaua said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. We heard back from HQ, and they said they would deal with it.  His username was changed, and has now been changed back so something vulgar, and just marked a bunch of our caches as missing. I have moved all of our caches to premium only, hopefully that helps.

Do you know how to take care of those caches marked as missing and NM? You have a bunch of red wrenches on active caches. 

I think the name is questionable in regards to being vulgar. I've seen much worse! HQ seems to take care of those things quickly. Glad you are getting the issue resolved. 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, mokuaikaua said:

Sure.   Whenever a new, free app comes out, or in the summer when kids start to get bored.   :)

Most leave "duh", "easy", and a lot of vulgar one-word online logs.

Be happy they aren't doing nasty things to the containers as well...

• Upvote 1

A big thank you to HQ as i received a new message today from a cacher that I had never heard of.  It was also not about one of my caches and was a little vulgar.  It also had a link to click on, which I didnt do.  Now, that I have had a chance to get on the computer, I see the account is new, no finds, no hides and has been locked.  First time in 17 years of caching that this has happened.  HQ was right on it!  True cachers are the best!

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, pdxrose said:

A big thank you to HQ as i received a new message today from a cacher that I had never heard of.  It was also not about one of my caches and was a little vulgar.  It also had a link to click on, which I didnt do.  Now, that I have had a chance to get on the computer, I see the account is new, no finds, no hides and has been locked.  First time in 17 years of caching that this has happened.  HQ was right on it!  True cachers are the best!

They usually are when it comes to this kind of thing! 

On 7/25/2020 at 1:57 AM, mokuaikaua said:

His username was changed, and has now been changed back so something vulgar, and just marked a bunch of our caches as missing.

What an absolute jerk.  Do you know who it is?  It almost sounds like someone who has it out for you personally.