Ok.. Is anyone still alive here in Louisiana???

Buck8Point

Or is it just that down here us Cajun Cachers are mostly all too busy out in the field hunting caches and enjoying the sport of Geocaching in this fine fall weather weve been having instead of just hanging around here composing endless volumes of meaningless posts fantasizing about how it should be done in the perfect world here in the forums? icon_biggrin.gif

Please Reply..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

I'm still around, but it seems weird that recently I've been thinking... "Man, all these caches around here are getting kinda old." It seems like (at least the most active of) Southeast Louisiana cachers have hit most of the caches they're interested in hitting (with the exception of special equipment hydros and such). Maybe after the holidays we'll see a big surge of new caches. I'm still holding out on placing a special original cache. It may have to wait for warmer weather though.

quote:
Originally posted by rbdupuy:

Maybe after the holidays we'll see a big surge of new caches. I'm still holding out on placing a special original cache. It may have to wait for warmer weather though.

I sorta noticed that after LAGGFFFF F? Everybody sorta dropped off the face of the known earth, with the exception of a few. It seems to have picked up a notch in the last week or two though...

Maybe we should all start considering a springtime geo-gathering? I personally loved the heck out of the group-campout last time around and would definitely consider doing another one. I'd even consider helping arrange it if I knew of another place to do it... Suggestions? I don't know of any places that can handle a group-campout that are a) not inside a state park, :D near a restroom, and c) not in kissatchie.

To make it real interesting, maybe we could do it just inside Mississippi? Sorta like an invasion...

???

How bout we take our time and organize a GOSLCWCE or (Good Ol South Louisiana Cold Weather Campout Event).

What better time down here than this cooler weather to be out camping, cooking, drinking beer, and sitting around a campfire with good friends telling stories about our adventures geocaching..

Hell we could even do a COCHON DE LAIT..

Im willing to start scouting for a good place to do it if anyone is intersted.

If so, lets start considering some dates in Late January.

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by Buck8Point:

Im willing to start scouting for a good place to do it if anyone is intersted.

If so, lets start considering some dates in Late January.

Count me in... and might I suggest having it the first weekend in February, just to be safe? I'm hoping that either my home Packers or even my adopted Saints might do well in the playoffs. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Hell we could even do a COCHON DE LAIT..

Hey now! This is a FAMILY ORIENTED FORUM. Take yer social deviance elsewhere, buddy! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Im willing to start scouting for a good place to do it if anyone is intersted. If so, lets start considering some dates in Late January.

Anytime's a good time for us.. Unless it's just too dang cold. And, contrary to what I said before, I'm not completely against state parks. I just don't wanna end up in RV-World or Boy Scout Land. icon_smile.gif

Thinking about camping in the cold... Katie and I used to camp on the Ouiska Chitto many years ago. (Camping in below freezing weather made me thing of that). Too far West and probably all-but closed off now.

Anybody know if the beach(es) near carpenter's bridge (near Mittie, LA) are closed off?

OK. I think I'm ready to go NOW. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rbdupuy:

Maybe after the holidays we'll see a big surge of new caches.

I placed one today after a day of Christmas shopping. icon_eek.gif Keep an eye out for it on the Louisiana page.

I've got a couple more in mind, but this time of year is just too hectic to get much of anything done.

quote:
Originally posted by Leatherneck:

If you guys don't mind a Mississippi boy joining in, count me in. I'll keep a watch on this thread.

We here in Louisiana ALWAYS welcome anyone to our Events. In fact we have had a good record of folks from neighboring states joining us.

When the time comes for the Event to be posted, we will surely Welcome and Encourage Everyone to come pass a good time with us..

Stay tuned...

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

I just placed 3 new caches up in DeSoto forest in MS on the Tux trail, well within reach of y'all there...come and get 'em! Planning several more trips over to y'all in LA to get to work on your caches there as well, after my 4-for-6 adventure in Slidell on 12/7.

-Addicted Dave R. ("drat19") in Biloxi

Hey everyone! We Texans sure enjoyed the last LaGeoCaching event in October and of course would love to attend another one. We dont care for the closeness that "RV parks" provide either, but of course would love to bring the camper if the area were accessible by one. State park would be fine of course. Definitely not a must so dont worry about that much, if it worked out it would be nice.

We had noticed too that things had gotten kinda quiet over there. Heck, we were even first finders for a couple of Louisiana caches last month, icon_biggrin.gif.

Clayjar? Looks like Monkey Island is all ours,,,,hehehe. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

Clayjar? Looks like Monkey Island is all ours,,,,hehehe. icon_cool.gif

Oh you are Soooo Wrong MudFrog my good buddy..

Just So happens that ForestFrog and I Logged Monkey Island Saturday 12-14-2002.

We just havent gotten around to logging them online yet...

Ol Buck8Point has been getting back in the swing here latley..

In fact, Im plotting several new multi-caches to be out ASAP..... Stay Tuned...

Buck8Point

PS. Im glad to see we are drawing some quality cachers from outta state as well..

Louisiana is a great place to Geocache..

Buck8Point

quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clayjar? Looks like Monkey Island is all ours,,,,hehehe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See my Cache Log

for details.

Buck8Point

This was such a neat cache that i put it on my watchlist right after our find. That ferry was kinda different for sure. The way he turned around was pretty cool, then to just push the ramp up onto the landing, and talk about being real crowded on the ferry? icon_rolleyes.gif Yall must have come in the same way we did because we saw those big bones too.

Now for the big question,,, Did ForestFrog get her prize? icon_razz.gif

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! See ya'll next year!!!

Hey Mudfrog! Yep, I picked up my prize from Monkey Island after a long, long wait...thanks for not running away with it when you had the chance (and thanks to Katie and Alex for placing such an awesome cache)! icon_smile.gif I need to get to Texas soon to hunt some of the caches by you and Chicken...maybe after New Years.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

ForestFrog

I'm so glad the froggy finally got to his/her intended owner, ForestFrog. Will he/she become a travel bug as mentioned at one time?

And hey B8P, how's the planning stage going for the campout? Any ideas to spring on us yet? If this weather holds up we'll all be in shorts! Darnit! icon_biggrin.gif It IS December isn't it?

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." ~Mark Twain

I have so far come up with a few ideas in as far as a location goes....

Lets hear some feed back on what everyone thinks..

- Somewhere in Kistache again.

- Red Dirt has some primitive areas near Natchitoches including near the Longleaf Vista Trail. Ive heard a LOT of good things about this area, but have never explored it personally.

- Some Primitive camping areas around Toldeo Bend. Again Ive never explored this area.

- Some where around the St. Francisville, Cat Island, or Tunica Trail area. There are several possibilities there. BEAUTIFUL Area..

- Some remote location along the Atchafalaya Spillway Levee.

- A Particular State Park.

- Some Private Property (With Permission of Course).

- The Ritz Carlton on Canal Street in New Orleans..

Post your Thoughts and Ideas.

Buck8Point

[This message was edited by Buck8Point on December 18, 2002 at 05:36 PM.]

OK guys. I make it no secret that icon_frown.gifI HATE the cold icon_frown.gif after a winter on Rat Island in Alaska. It got up to a balmy 34 below while I was there. Yes I said Up TO. Anyway I'm in icon_wink.gif, bet that was a big surprize to some of you. The Pig Roast posibility is a major plus icon_biggrin.gif.

There are 3 State Parke between Baton Rouge and Slidell on I12 and also Jelleystone campgrounds. Please consider avoiding Mardi Gras when setting a date too. Kinda brings out the weirdos around here icon_eek.gif.

I also welcome out of staters. Lets look at them as USA geocachers just like us. The more the merrier. Could you imagine how comical DA TUBE night hunt would have been with about 20 more people. Ya hadda be there. icon_biggrin.gif

Buck, if ya need some help I can pitch in a bit. Let me know what ya need. ADIOS.

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

quote:

But we did that last time! icon_smile.gif I really like the "setting" last time, though.

It looks like most of the caches in the state (and hence, the cache-ers) are in the S. Central and S. Eastern portion of the state. It would be my guess that the more you move in that direction, the more people will participate.

Toledo Bend's close to Texas. Could be a good opportunity to meet some more of those fine Texas folks. Like you, I've never camped out there before.

St. Francisville, Tunica Hills, etc... We *loved* the area while doing the waterfall3 cache. I'm all for that. Kinda close for some of the Mississippi cachers, also.

Some remote location along the Atchafalaya Spillway Levee? Ever seen the movie "Deliverance?" icon_smile.gif

Depending on when this thing kicks off, maybe we should do some scouting missions? Just grab a tent and go, report back what you find?

Unfortunately, I have suggestions as of yet. I might even back off on my RV remark if the location is right (it dawned on me that Katie and I have access to a fairly large RV if needed -- if you can't beat 'em...). Did I mention that I'm ready to go NOW? icon_smile.gif

alex

quote:

Cool. Camped here once (near Kincaid), years ago. Also, since I missed the last event, it would be nice to come here. Only concern is hunting season. With a moniker like "Buck8Point" I would suspect you could shed a some light here icon_wink.gif

quote:
- Red Dirt has some primitive areas near Natchitoches including near the Longleaf Vista Trail. Ive heard a LOT of good things about this area, but have never explored it personally.

Little bit of a longer drive from N.O., but what the heck?!? Like B8P, I've heard good things, just never been there. Same concerns about hunting. icon_eek.gif

quote:
- Some Primitive camping areas around Toldeo Bend. Again Ive never explored this area.

Yikes! Sounds like a REAL long drive from N.O. Talk me into it icon_wink.gif

quote:
- Some where around the St. Francisville, Cat Island, or Tunica Trail area. There are several possibilities there. BEAUTIFUL Area..

I've never camped around here. I've driven through a few times and of course hunted waterfall 3.

The only Cat Island I'm aware of is off the coast of Mississippi, just west of Ship Island. Is there another?

quote:
- Some remote location along the Atchafalaya Spillway Levee.

Four words: "Squeal like a pig" icon_eek.gif

quote:
- A Particular State Park.

A very reasonable compromise, as long as we're not surrounded by RVs. I must say, I've been impressed by the Louisiana State Parks I've visited after taking up Geocaching. My daughter lives (with my ex) very near Chicot. That would get my vote if we go the State Park route.

quote:
- Some Private Property (With Permission of Course).

icon_confused.gif

quote:
- The Ritz Carlton on Canal Street in New Orleans..

For a truly urban wildlife experience icon_wink.gif

I guess my preference would be for a National Forest campsite. Like I stated above, my only concern this time of year is hunting season. I don't own a lot of orange. One of LA's State Parks might work just as well.

quote:

Four words: "Squeal like a pig" icon_eek.gif

COCHON DE LAIT!?

quote:

My daughter lives (with my ex) very near Chicot. That would get my vote if we go the State Park route.

Chicot claims to have primitive group camping facilities. I've been to the park a few times for fishing and geocaching, but have never seen them. The more I think about it, a state park does offer advantages to certain folks who otherwise couldn't/wouldn't attend (requires a cabin, prefers an RV, etc...)

quote:

I guess my preference would be for a National Forest campsite.

Do you know of any place in Desoto, perhaps? There's a cache around there I've been meaning to get to... icon_smile.gif

alex

References to The Movie Deliverance.

I just bought it on DVD Wed evening and watched it last night.

It was onsale at Wal-Mart for 14 bucks so I couldnt pass that up... icon_smile.gif

Anyways...

Desoto sounds interesting...

Im certainly not opposed to a State Park either..

I was assuming everyone wanted to go Primitave.

Im still looking into the St. Francisville/Tunica hills/Cat Island area option.. That could potentially be a GREAT area...

Cat Island is a large penninsula of land along the river north of St. Francisville, they also have a new NWR up there as well.

If we have this in the first few weeks of Feb, hunting seasons will not be a consideration as they will be over with.

Has anyone seen the beautiful cabins at Lake Fausse Pointe? they come fully furnished, on the water, an sleep 12, all for the cost of 65 bucks a night. Depending on turnout, we could possibly rent one or 2 for the weekend, there may be a waiting list though. Id have to check into that option if thats what everyone wanted..

Of course that be mighty expensive at 5.42 cents per person per night.. I dunno if everyone could afford that ritzy of accomidations.... icon_smile.gif

I would also be interested if they would let us do a Cochon De Lait at the campsites also..

Is anyone even interested in doing that or is it just me?

Lets hear your ideas..

This is just all in the planning stages here..

Once we pick a site, and a date, we will need voulenteers to places some caches in the area as well..

Sound Off Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, and Arkansas... We can make this a Regional Shindig...

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

Well ive got a score to settle with one cache in particular in Chicot State Park, so if ya'll do go the state park route, that would be a good one for us icon_razz.gif. National forests are allways good but im not sure when ya'lls hunting season is over, so that is something to think about also. Us Texans are pretty easy to please, so whatever ya'll come up with will most likely be fine by us.

Im almost afraid to ask but what is Cochon De Lait? icon_confused.gif Just so its not some kind of a wild cache sacrificing initiation that LaGeoCachers perpetrate on unsuspecting out of state cachers,,,,, icon_eek.gif.

By the way, has anyone heard anything from Phil and Stephanie?

[This message was edited by Mudfrog on December 20, 2002 at 03:16 PM.]

Hey Katie! I already have a travel bug tag for the froggy...thanks for leaving him for me! icon_biggrin.gif I've been working on a frog themed multi cache for a while, but with the job change and move, I haven't gotten to place it. I'll probably have it in place early next year and will release the froggy at the same time. Now he just needs a name and a goal....hmmmmm....any suggestions? icon_smile.gif

quote:

Im almost afraid to ask but what is Cochon De Lait?

Now im just glad that it wasnt anyone from Louisiana who asked that question, but since your a Texan Mudfrog I'll cut you some slack and explain.

Its a Cajun Pig Roast. See Link: Cochon De Lait

quote:

By the way, has anyone heard anything from Phil and Stephanie?

I exchanged a few emails with Phil a week or so ago. He has moved back to Arkansas temporarily, since being laid off with Cleco, and he is in preliminary testing for employment with the FBI.

Maybe if we dont see him at this next campout event, a few of us can convince him to take us up on a spring canoe trip on the Buffallo National River in Arkansas. He goes every year.

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by ForestFrog:

Hey Katie! I already have a travel bug tag for the froggy...thanks for leaving him for me!

Nooooooooo problem. When we were buying stuff for the cache I saw it and said to myself that it was just THE perfect item for a cache; it had your name written all over it. (Groan.icon_biggrin.gif)

quote:
I've been working on a frog themed multi cache for a while, but with the job change and move, I haven't gotten to place it.

Can't wait, but I haven't even hunted the others the others you and B8P put out. Please God tell me you're not into "navigational challenges" like someone else we know. icon_wink.gif (Just kidding, B8P!)

quote:
Now he just needs a name and a goal....hmmmmm....any suggestions? icon_smile.gif

Is there a froggy nirvana somewhere? Hmmmmmmm. I may have to think on this one for awhile. Oh, how about Hollywood so he can visit Kermit the Frog! That must be every frog's dream right? LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Holidays!

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." ~Mark Twain

quote:
Can't wait, but I haven't even hunted the others the others you and B8P put out. Please God tell me you're not into "navigational challenges" like someone else we know. (Just kidding, B8P!)

Well...I have to admit, I'm more into "navigational challenges" than I used to be! icon_smile.gif The froggy one will probably focus more on scenery than testing navigational skills, but I have to warn you, my goal is to one day place a multi that gives B8P fits! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Is there a froggy nirvana somewhere? Hmmmmmmm. I may have to think on this one for awhile. Oh, how about Hollywood so he can visit Kermit the Frog! That must be every frog's dream right? LOL

There are several froggy "hot spots" in the US, maybe he/she can visit a couple of those, then meet up with the Kermit the Frog travel bug. I think I remember hearing that there's a Kermit museum somewhere in Mississippi. Maybe that would be a good 'hopping' off point too. icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Holidays Everyone!

'There are several froggy "hot spots" in the US, maybe he/she can visit a couple of those, then meet up with the Kermit the Frog travel bug. I think I remember hearing that there's a Kermit museum somewhere in Mississippi. Maybe that would be a good 'hopping' off point too. '

My guess is the Kermit Museum is in Leland - birthplace of Jim Henson. If so, there are no caches within 70 miles, so it'd be a good place to start a froggy cache.

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

quote:
Originally posted by ForestFrog:

quote:
My guess is the Kermit Museum is in Leland - birthplace of Jim Henson. If so, there are no caches within 70 miles, so it'd be a good place to start a froggy cache.

I looked up the Kermit museum and it is indeed in Leland, Mississippi:

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/exhibits/mupmuseum.shtml

Thanks for the info Pater! I'll definitely keep Leland in mind as a cache site.

Never fails - and no sooner did I post this that a new multi -cache pops up less than 25 miles from Leland!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=46994

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

Ok...

Im still considering sites for the Winter Campout.

I havent gotten a lot of feedback on potential sites yet..

Im gonna post a couple of polls to see what the consensus is on several key decisions..

Lets hear your thoughts..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:

Has anyone seen the beautiful cabins at Lake Fausse Pointe? they come fully furnished, on the water, an sleep 12, all for the cost of 65 bucks a night. Depending on turnout, we could possibly rent one or 2 for the weekend...

Buck8Point

I HAVE seen those cabins, and I'd be willing to splurge on some ritzy accomodations...especially since it's winter and might be "cold" down here in south louisiana, some people might feel more comfortable in a cabin. Might even atract more people with the cabins...would we have to get permission to hide some caches for the weekend? I assumed so. Anyway, if we're voting, this one gets my vote.

-pizzachef

quote:

Has anyone seen the beautiful cabins at Lake Fausse Pointe? they come fully furnished, on the water, an sleep 12, all for the cost of 65 bucks a night. Depending on turnout, we could possibly rent one or 2 for the weekend, there may be a waiting list though. Id have to check into that option if thats what everyone wanted..

I would also be interested if they would let us do a Cochon De Lait at the campsites also..

Is anyone even interested in doing that or is it just me?

If the concensus is that cabins would be OK, I'd go for Fausse Pointe. They're the best cabins I've ever seen at a state park. The last time I checked, the reservations were backed up by about 6 months. But that was for mid-summer reservations. They do have a few "backpack" and "pack and paddle" campsites available for tenters also. I wouldn't suggest tenting on the "main drag" unless you like the hum of RVs and the smell of diesel fuel. icon_smile.gif

And on the cochon de lait, you talking about just pit-roasting a pig or the whole-day slaughter, smokehouse, cook, etc... event?

If you want my help, I'll gladly make the phone calls, check it out, etc... if needed. I feel like a free-loader just waiting around for someone else to get this thing (whatever it may become) together.

alex

Bet y'all thought I was a ghost... Come back to haunt you... Well no, I am still alive. Barely. I live in a shopping cart and use my GPS for heat.

Okay - it is not that bad, but I am still in Arkansas and unemployed. Still waiting to hear from the you know who, for those of you who know. Got my Physical results in (man that was a thorough physical - from ears to, well you know) and I got a clean bill of health.. Only cost me some dignity and TOOOO much blood.. 4 vials!!!

Anyway, I would love to meet up with my cool friends and camp. Let me know when and where I will try to attend. Sorry I can't help put it together, but I am kinda out of place to do that.

Alex - I have not forgot about you... and Katie I think I have that extra shirt... what size was that? Let me know and it will be mailed along with the greenbacks.

Thanks guys.

Phil -

Oh, can Petie come this time also?

As brand new cachers in LA we have been impressed with everything you guys have set out for us to find. We bought our first ammo can yesterday and plan to do something with it soon in Lafayette. It would be sensational to meet some of you if we can coordinate schedules. Fred is often offshore and I travel a fair bit so hopefully we can join your camping plans - how does February 8-9 sound? If not camping, could we just do an event cache for an afternoon somewhere?

Adrienne

Team Kiwi Site

signature.gif

quote:

If you want my help, I'll gladly make the phone calls, check it out, etc... if needed. I feel like a free-loader just waiting around for someone else to get this thing (whatever it may become) together.

I finally got off my tail and made a few phone calls. It seems that unless you're a group of boyscouts, you're not getting into any of the "big" campsites in the state parks in LA.

The cabin-reservation-place is closed on the weekends, so I'll need to check back on that.

The young lady at LFP did turn me on to calling Chicot. Chicot has "back country" campsites that apparently are multi-tentable. According to the girl who answers the phone at Chicot, it's enough room for 5 or 6 tents per site. That may be sufficient, or not. I can't seem to find the topo I had laid out with all of the back-country campsites on it. I seem to recall that the closest would be about a 1/2 - 1 mile hike from any trailhead. If there's an interest in that area and ClayJar can't give us some insight, I can hopefully go scout one or two of 'em. But...

If everyone was going to trek to Chicot, it may not be a bad idea to just do the Evangeline Camp again as it's only about 1/2 or so hour away, it's "free", large enough for a dozen or so tents, and has no 'state-park' regulations.

I'll still place the call on the cabins and report back what I find out. icon_wink.gif

alex

(Hehe, anime joke. Sorry.)

It would definitely be a bit more of a hike to camp at one (or more) of the backcountry camps at Chicot, so we may want to just re-camp where we camped last time. It's not *that* much difference, driving-wise, and there's certainly a whole lot more room.

My vote's for Evangeline, and let's get a date set so I can schedule myself. NOT the 1st (I'm tied up) or 15th (can't camp that Friday night, since it's Valen's Day), but other than that, I should be flexible. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, let's make the call.

quote:

The cabin-reservation-place is closed on the weekends, so I'll need to check back on that.

After a few hold-music + hangups, I finally got through. Seems Lake Fausse Pointe cabins aren't available anytime in February or March. I may call 'em back to see about something in the late summer / fall. From what I've been told, 9-12 months notice for a weekend cabin there during nice weather isn't unusual.

I'm all for doing Evangeline again. Maybe late February / mid-March. Watchy'all say we put a date on this thing and get the ball rolling...

We've got the following cool-weather weekends coming up:

February 1-2

February 8-9

February 15-16 (Valentines Day Weekend)

February 22-23

March 1-2 (Mardi Gras-ish)

March 8-9

March 15-16

March 22-23

March 29-30

And if it makes any difference, according to weatherchannel.com, February's average temperatures are low: mid 40s high: mid 60s.

For March, it's low: lower 50s high: lower 70s.

Katie and I are up for just about any time. icon_wink.gif

alex

• March 15-16
  • March 22-23
February 1-2 I *can't* do, and Valentine's weekend I would much rather not do. March 8th is the GGA's March event, so it'd be convenient *not* to have it that weekend.

Anyway, I think March 14-16 (some of us will show up early, I'm sure) is a really nice weekend. Plus, we can all spend Saturday bewaring the ides of March. First person to make a Roman-themed cache wins a two-minute head start. icon_biggrin.gif