Lewis & Clark

Chief Paulina

I plan to spend some considerable time in the next couple of years checking out the Lewis & Clark trail, especially in the Pacific Northwest. Wouldn't it be nice to have a tread full of geocaches along that trail?

Anybody know of caches close to or devoted to this great American achievement? Please post. Any related activities would be welcome also.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"

-George Harrison

quote:
Originally posted by Chief Paulina:

Anybody know of caches close to or devoted to this great American achievement? Please post. Any related activities would be welcome also.

There's plenty of caches in the vicinity of the Lewis & Clark Trail in Montana, but that's partially because they spent so much time in the area and partially because modern highways often follow their routes closely.

I'd suggest comparing the geocaching map of Montana with a map of their travels. That seems to be the quickest way to get a feel for what's available.

Ron/yumitori

You might look for one around Seaside Oregon. There is a replica of their salt cairn there.

see http://www.lewis-clark.org/FTCCOLUMBIA/fc_plaqP.htm

and

http://www.visitseaside.com/index.cgi?frame=http://www.visitseaside.com/aboutseaside/historical/index.shtml this page has Seaside's Latitude and Longitude so you can use that to search on the Hide & Seek a Cache Page

Paulina.. I just heard on NPR something about an upcoming (important) anniversary of the Lewis & Clark expedition.

I think it was some story about tourism in Oregon and how we should be promoting that we have mild summers whilst others across America melt. Well, obviously he doesn't get over to Central Oregon much! One of these days we will get that home A/C! icon_biggrin.gif

And one in the works for the Lolo area: Travelers Rest!

With permission from the park! icon_smile.gif

-Jennifer

According to his or her personal experience, each person must decide by himself or herself where they have been. Always for me the most important thing is not where the others have gone but the experience lived through.-Reinhold Messner

Thanks so much for the input so far. These caches are great. It happens that I am presently planning to do the section between Camp Fortunate and Traveler's Rest ( or at least Lemhi Pass) this summer. Can't wait to get started.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"

-George Harrison

The Travelers Rest Cache in Montana is now available! It is GCG0G3. The park is looking forward to visitors, we only hope everyone enjoys this area as much as we do.

-Jennifer

According to his or her personal experience, each person must decide by himself or herself where they have been. Always for me the most important thing is not where the others have gone but the experience lived through.-Reinhold Messner