Premium -- is it worth it?

randomactsofkindness

How do I get the trial code for the Free Premium Trial Month? I don't know if I want to buy a premium account yet. I also don't know who to contact for the trial code. If anyone has any information, it would be much appreciated!

Hi to everyone...

We have been basic members for a few months (12yr old + Daddy) and consideribg takjng the next step to premium.

Does anyone know if a free trial exists? Or how to get  one? Premium is quite a big outlay for us  (single parent) and would like to be able to try first...

Please and thanks

Daddy and Charlotte.

Good afternoon! 

I recently started geocaching, and have been enjoying it. I've pulled in a few other friends as well. I'm trying to evaluate the value behind the premium membership as I'm looking to get my parents into it today as well, but there are only a couple caches near them. I have seen others in this thread mention being able to see the premium caches before being a premium member, but I don't see how to do this. I have tried doing the list by area in the app, and I still don't see the availability of any premium caches. Is this a desktop only function? 

If it's possible to grab a trial as well, I would greatly appreciate that! 

Thank you for the great community! 

Pawlom

1 hour ago, Pawlom said:

I have seen others in this thread mention being able to see the premium caches before being a premium member, but I don't see how to do this. I have tried doing the list by area in the app, and I still don't see the availability of any premium caches. Is this a desktop only function? 

I believe what they are seeing is "advanced" caches (those over 1.5 in difficulty/terrain ,and  other than Traditional),  rather than actual premium member only caches.

- It'd be nice if someone would chime in on whether they actually see "premium" listed instead of the advanced as they should see.

In searches on the site, a  basic member can "see" pmo caches, but they can't view anything on it.  They're meant for only premium members.

A basic member can access (coordinates and all...) advanced caches, simply by going through the site.  This includes all D/T and all cache types.

- The only thing they can't see is those  the cache owner has  made premium member only.   :)

Hi there! I'm already introducing myself (And my wife?) to geocaching world hobby. Now i see that there are much more caches with premium memberships, but, It is possible to try first with a 30 day trial as i readed before? ? Will It work at Spain anyway? Thank you ! 

Edited by Gfounder

Hi, I am a brand new member. I have been letterboxing for several years and stumbled upon a geocache this past weekend. I would love to try a premium membership before I buy to see if I will love this new hobby just as much. Thanks!

Hi,

I'm a new cacher. I've found my first one (of actually 35) 3 weeks ago now and I'm undecided for premium membership. The only benefit for me, at this point, is, that I get premium caches. But why are there premium and free ones? And who decides what is a premium cache? My girlfriend, who Is a cacher for years now, thinks too, that there is no need for a premium. It's the first time I see now, that there is a trial membership. Is it possible to test it too?

Thanks in advance

Edited by TyR077
21 hours ago, TyR077 said:

...The only benefit for me, at this point, is, that I get premium caches. But why are there premium and free ones? And who decides what is a premium cache?

The cache owner decides whether to make the cache available to all or only premium members.  

Here's a list of Premium benefits - once you start geocaching seriously, premium membership makes a lot more sense.  The added features are definiely a benefit, and at $30 a year, it's well worth it for me.

• Mobile geocaching: Go geocaching anytime, anywhere — even offline. Learn more about Premium features in the Geocaching® app.
  • Premium-only caches: Find geocaches designated for Premium members only.
  • Advanced search: Sort and filter geocaches to find the perfect one.
  • Lists: Plan your next big adventure. (All the great explorers do it, promise.)
  • Instant notifications: Be the first to know about newly published geocaches.
  • More map types: Select your game board. (New: Trails in the Geocaching® app.)
  • Geocaching stats: Track your D/T ratings, geocache types found, and more.
  • Favorite points: Give kudos to the geocaches you love.
  • Sneak peeks: Get the scoop on new features and souvenir challenges before anyone else.
  • Beyond Geocaching.com: Unlock Premium features on Authorized Developer partner apps.
  • Upvote 3
22 hours ago, TyR077 said:

I'm a new cacher. I've found my first one (of actually 35) 3 weeks ago now and I'm undecided for premium membership. The only benefit for me, at this point, is, that I get premium caches. But why are there premium and free ones? And who decides what is a premium cache? My girlfriend, who Is a cacher for years now, thinks too, that there is no need for a premium.

CavinoGal explained the benefits of premium membership well.   :)

Most we know though, premium member only caches are at the bottom of why they became PMs.   We became PMs just for notifications.

I can see making a cache premium member only if there's something about it that warrants it.  

-  A fragile container that may be broken into, rather than accessed properly for example.  Another may be new folks just out for a weekend, not reading enough about the hobby to understand what Trackables are (and aren't).

I believe you'll find that in many cases,  that pmo cache  isn't much different than any other.  The CO made it that way simply because they can.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Most we know though, premium member only caches are at the bottom of why they became PMs.   We became PMs just for notifications.

For me, it was for the PQs first (then all the other benefits). I became a PM, 12 years ago,  and have been happy to pay the $30/year ever since.

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

For me, it was for the PQs first (then all the other benefits). I became a PM, 12 years ago,  and have been happy to pay the $30/year ever since.

For those who were around and remember, correct me if I am wrong, but I think the price 12 years ago was $30, which I thought was a pretty dang good deal. 12 years later, it is still only $30 and is still a dang good deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1