Premium -- is it worth it?

randomactsofkindness

Hi there,

I’ve been a free member since my registration back in 2009 and was wondering if anyone had a code for the free premium trial membership. It would be greatly appreciated as there are a few premium geocaches in my area that I’ve been dying to check out! I'm so interesting in finding out more about the benefits of premium.

Thanks in advance :)

11 hours ago, 716IslandLife said:

Hello everyone, I'm really getting hooked on geocaching! I've been doing it for about a month now and would like to try out the premium feature if someone would be so kind to offer a code I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance ?

Sent!

Hi RuideAlmeida

I'd love to try the PM also for a month if you have a trial.

I'm a new member, but am doing a bit of travelling this weekend (only an hour trip there and back, but have a few to get on the way), and it would be great to try it while on the move to see what the difference is like.

Thanks a million

Cillian

Would it be possible to get a free trial?  I am enjoying geocaching after picking it up again. I want to spread the 'virus' in my new neighbourhood this weekend :)

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by Rustig

Hi all,

I am looking at taking my younger brother and sister out to trial geocaching to see if they like it however I believe that most of the caches in my area are only available to premium members. As I would like them to have the best experience possible is it possible for someone to please send me a premium trial for them.

Thanks for your time and happy caching!

You know, I think offering the free trial on the app store (if possible) instead of having to ask a mod every single time (no offense to Almeida) would work out a lot better.

I was personally really on the fence about premium, but I think my decision would've been a lot easier had the option been available as an actual feature on the app.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, TheNerdCachers said:

Im a previous premium memberh ran and after recovering from an injury im back caching again woo! However, things are really tight this month but itching to do some of the premiums and get the emails. Are there any free trials  until we can afford to pay? Thanks 

Sorry, but the 30 day promotional codes being handed out in this thread are only valid for accounts that have never tried premium membership before.

2 hours ago, james8470 said:

You know, I think offering the free trial on the app store (if possible) instead of having to ask a mod every single time (no offense to Almeida) would work out a lot better.

I was personally really on the fence about premium, but I think my decision would've been a lot easier had the option been available as an actual feature on the app.

"Asking a Mod" is one of the few ways to get a free, temporary PM, and I'd like to think it's a good idea.  

I've really been on the fence about this, as sometimes (to me) it looks like kids flocking to a candy store, temp PMs given away so freely.

- But it at least gets new cachers to enter the site, an issue many long-time players have had for years, when trying to contact people only using the app.  

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, james8470 said:

Indeed, it would work infinitely better if there was a process native to the app or website. The entire "free trial" process is being worked on now and will hopefully soon include functionality that will make a thread like this one unnecessary.

17 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

"Asking a Mod" is one of the few ways to get a free, temporary PM, and I'd like to think it's a good idea.  

I've really been on the fence about this, as sometimes (to me) it looks like kids flocking to a candy store, temp PMs given away so freely.

- But it at least gets new cachers to enter the site, an issue many long-time players have had for years, when trying to contact people only using the app.  

I'm entirely in agreement with cerberus1 on that.

1 hour ago, Rock Chalk said:

Indeed, it would work infinitely better if there was a process native to the app or website. The entire "free trial" process is being worked on now and will hopefully soon include functionality that will make a thread like this one unnecessary.

Um, a free trial process native to  the app. may be easier, but I'd be worried that it may be just too easy, and handing out free months of premium access after a click on an app button is going to upset cache setters who have made their hides premium to avoid the depredations of muggles with apps.

Will there be some sort of qualification ( I'm hesitating to use the word 'algorithm', after the virtual one ... ) to try to avoid the cache thieves, trashers and pretend environmentalists using a free trial to get their hands on caches which have been listed as premium simply to thwart them I wonder ?  Will cachers who do not provide an authenticated e-mail get the upgrade ? To my mind, an authentic e-mail is the absolute minimum qualification I'd want to see, along with completion of an interactive website based caching knowledge quiz to at least have some semblance of engagement with how the game works , and investment of effort from the applicants.

What about the system gamers too ... uninstall the app., clean up the 'phone memory, reinstall the app, new fake e-mail, new geocaching account, new month's upgrade ! If I recall correctly, all the app store needed to make a new account when I got my first android device was an e-mail address, and if removing/reinstalling the app leaves some tell tale trace in the 'phone or tablet memory, well many people have more than one device, and some change phones every year. These would be ridiculous lengths to go to, but you just know there would be some people seeking a free ride just because they could.

• Upvote 1