Premium -- is it worth it?

randomactsofkindness

On 8/30/2017 at 1:55 PM, serindipte said:

Ok, thank you :) It came up with an error the first time and told me to retry. Guess it had gone through even with the original error.

I had the exact same issue but it did go through. 

Thanks again for the trial - really enjoying this. I'll definitely by renewing when the trial is up.

I've been out of Geocaching for a little while now, and I've just recently become more interested in it now that I have a dedicated GPS device.  I was wondering if I could try the premium membership trial as well.  I'm trying to justify making the jump to premium, and I'd like to see if it's worth it. 

Jumpman - ask a reviewer or forum moderator, they can get you a voucher code.

On 7/28/2017 at 5:38 PM, RuideAlmeida said:

You can ask any volunteer for a free monthly PM voucher and find for yourself.

Edited by hzoi
On 19/10/2017 at 10:40 PM, RuideAlmeida said:

Check your email, please.

Hi Thanks for code.  I don’t seem to be able to get the premium content I have logged out and then logged back in but still only shows basic.  This is both for the website and also the IOS app.

1 hour ago, BarryGrant said:

Hi Thanks for code.  I don’t seem to be able to get the premium content I have logged out and then logged back in but still only shows basic.  This is both for the website and also the IOS app.

Well, accessing your profile, shows that you are Premium. Wait a little longer, please.

I started caching in Aug. 2014 watching my son and his girlfriend at the time looking through a pine tree. I tried using the basic and found it lacked a lot of features. There are many premiums in my area so I could see what I what I was missing. I tried the premium and have not looked back since as I think it is worth it. That being said, I do not make any of my caches premiums as I want everyone who tries Geocaching to see exactly how much fun and educational it can be. Geocaching has took me to places I never would have found on my own even in my own backyard.

Geocaching should make the first month free without having to make people ask for a code. The numbers according to Project GC are down and logic says that you have to consistently build your core base. As the core base gets smaller so do the caches, as the caches get smaller once again your core base does also.  It is wonderful tool to discover new places and meet new people. Many people however grow frustrated with the basic features and some cannot afford the $30.

Stats for caching

I would appreciate a trial code as well, we were just turned on to Geocaching by the Texas State Park's website. We are headed to a state park with the American Heritage Girls (Christian-focused version of the girl scouts) and I would love to see what premium adds to the mix.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Harley822 said:

Geocaching should make the first month free without having to make people ask for a code. The numbers according to Project GC are down and logic says that you have to consistently build your core base. As the core base gets smaller so do the caches, as the caches get smaller once again your core base does also.  It is wonderful tool to discover new places and meet new people. Many people however grow frustrated with the basic features and some cannot afford the $30.

So what if there were no PMO caches? I changed about 50 listings to allow basic members access and I have not noticed an increase in finds.

I did let my PM expire and went back to using a GPS unit, but I do miss the lists feature. 

Really, the only thing a basic member misses out on is PMO listings. The site is totally usable for free without the PM.

Right now I and only supporting this hobby by maintaining geocaches for others to enjoy for free. :) 

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

So what if there were no PMO caches? I changed about 50 listings to allow basic members access and I have not noticed an increase in finds.

I did let my PM expire and went back to using a GPS unit, but I do miss the lists feature. 

Really, the only thing a basic member misses out on is PMO listings. The site is totally usable for free without the PM.

Right now I and only supporting this hobby by maintaining geocaches for others to enjoy for free. :) 

To me, being able to access PMO caches is probably the least useful benefit of Premium Membership.  

PMO list is certain not the only thing a basic member would miss out on.

Pocket Queries - the ability to construct search criteria not available from any other search mechanism on the site (e.g. filter by attributes), then save that query for periodic re-execution, *and* to get the results in GPX format (with the full Groundspeak extensions), is, to me the biggest benefit.  With up to 10 pocket query executions a day and 1000 caches per PQ, that's a lot of data that can be downloaded to a GPS *or* as offline data for many geocaching mobile apps.

Caches along a Route -  Anyone that geocaches outside the local area will likely appreciate the ability to create a pocket query based upon a route, especially if that route goes through an area without cellular access.

Bookmark lists -  being able to create a list of caches based on a theme (many cache series will include a bookmark which can be used to find all caches in the series), or just about any other selection criteria is quite useful.  

Instant Notifications -  Even if one doesn't play the FTF game, getting notifications of newly placed caches or caches which have been disabled or archived is very handy.

Better Searching -  The difference between using the Search page as a basic user and premium member is significant.  There are a lot of things one can't do on the Search page with only a basic membership.  

Full access to the API when using 3rd party applications.  The limits GS impose on API developers for basic members can significantly influence the usefulness of these 3rd party applications which include both mobile apps and some very useful desktop apps.  

• Upvote 2
45 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

To me, being able to access PMO caches is probably the least useful benefit of Premium Membership.  

PMO list is certain not the only thing a basic member would miss out on.

I'm in an area where the prolific hiders only list PMO, and had well over 100 myself. I only run a few PQ's a year, and I have never downloaded a public bookmark.

I used to renew just for the benefits on the Waymarking site. I do enjoy this hobby enough to renew my PM, but right now I'm giving it a test drive as a basic member.

And I do have enough PMO caches stored to keep me busy. I'm sure I could get by with only being a PM for a few months a year when I am most active, but yes. Premium Membership here is totally worth it to me.

As another new user, with a small family, we'll also be using it fairly infrequently.

In addition to the monthly/annual subscription, I was thinking yesterday a 'by demand' option would be good too - where if you found you had a few hours to spare you could pay say $2-3 and it subscribes you to the more premium caches for say 24 or 48 hours.  This way we could perhaps have a cache day once per month and not feel like we've blown a whole month's worth of subscription on the 4-5 hours you might get to use it. (I have young kids so they can't trudge around all day).

Just a n00b thought!

Hi All,

Activated my Trial just now (so I could make full use of Christmas holidays!) and it doesn't seem to be flowing through to my iPhone app, which is still showing free member features only.

Have tried force-quitting the app and when that didn't work I signed out and then in again - still no luck.

Any pointers?

TIA 

On 11/8/2017 at 11:23 PM, seven_neves said:

As another new user, with a small family, we'll also be using it fairly infrequently.

In addition to the monthly/annual subscription, I was thinking yesterday a 'by demand' option would be good too - where if you found you had a few hours to spare you could pay say $2-3 and it subscribes you to the more premium caches for say 24 or 48 hours.  This way we could perhaps have a cache day once per month and not feel like we've blown a whole month's worth of subscription on the 4-5 hours you might get to use it. (I have young kids so they can't trudge around all day).

Just a n00b thought!

Not saying anything bad about the idea.  I think it is a fine idea.  I just wanted to point out if they did offer it at say $3 for 48 hours...You used it once per month,  you would end up spending more then if you paid for the whole year.  It only costs about $2.50 a month.

The other problem is that members could pay for the one time and then save all the info for the premium member caches and find them at any time.  This is something you might be able to do with your 1 month you have.

Have fun with the premium membership!!!

On 12/18/2017 at 4:33 PM, WarNinjas said:

Not saying anything bad about the idea.  I think it is a fine idea.  I just wanted to point out if they did offer it at say $3 for 48 hours...You used it once per month,  you would end up spending more then if you paid for the whole year.  It only costs about $2.50 a month.

The other problem is that members could pay for the one time and then save all the info for the premium member caches and find them at any time.  This is something you might be able to do with your 1 month you have.

Have fun with the premium membership!!!

Good point! Although after spending a little more time in the scene I've personally found a good portion of the fun is logging the find publicly, which you can't do if you d/l the premium content and find at a later date. Having said that, you could manually catalogue your finds, then log them once a month in the 24/48-hour period to beat the system.

In hindsight, it's only a small annual fee in reality and after the trial i'm going premium for sure - it just opens so many more caches up and being short on time with a small family it's better if we can get bang-for-buck geographically.  Plus, when they're not with me I can tackle caches beyond D2/T2, which will be a blast.

Fav Points are also a bonus.

On holidays soon to keen to put some more time into finds!

• Upvote 2

I live in an area where not many cache's exist that are not premium. I purchased the membership to have access to more caches around the city. But in doing so, my husband no longer goes with me on runs as he won't upgrade to be able to get the same cache's. I've enjoyed the membership and would renew it easily enough. The only problem is when you want to join others and they're not premium so don't have access to the same caches as you. They won't want to join in on the same hunts as you. Depending on the location being a basic member really limits how many caches you've got access too.

14 minutes ago, CaptureCreativity said:

I live in an area where not many cache's exist that are not premium. I purchased the membership to have access to more caches around the city. But in doing so, my husband no longer goes with me on runs as he won't upgrade to be able to get the same cache's. I've enjoyed the membership and would renew it easily enough. The only problem is when you want to join others and they're not premium so don't have access to the same caches as you. They won't want to join in on the same hunts as you. Depending on the location being a basic member really limits how many caches you've got access too.

Your husband (or any basic member) can use one of the several backdoor methods for logging finds on premium-only caches.  It's the solution for not having a "family account" feature.  There are several ways to access the log page.  One of the easiest is to go to geocachingadmin.com, enter the cache's GC Code in the box provided, and then click the "log" button.

12 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Your husband (or any basic member) can use one of the several backdoor methods for logging finds on premium-only caches.  It's the solution for not having a "family account" feature.  There are several ways to access the log page.  One of the easiest is to go to geocachingadmin.com, enter the cache's GC Code in the box provided, and then click the "log" button.

Yeah, I had no idea about that. If that works maybe I'll be able to drag him out with me more. XD Thanks for the tip!