Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Aer72

Vote for best caches

Just a crazy idea that might interest a few.

How about a vote for best new cache of the year in each county/ state/ province. Then the top three could then be displayed on the geocaching website.

Please reply if you have a point to make about this

This is done in the Netherlands for a long time. People vote for a new cache to become "cache of the month".

aer72, please refrain from starting geocaching related topics in the Off Topic forum. Here is where they should be posted (the moderators have already moved two of your posts over)

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/forum/6-geocaching-topics/

As to your question about best caches, the geocaching blog does a write-up on the "Geocache of the Week" just scroll down a bit on this page:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/

• Upvote 2

One of our regional Geocaching groups does have an annual vote for "Best Cache" in several categories (including best log which is usually quite entertaining!)  Don't see any reason to make yet another "thing" on Geocaching dot com.  I agree with L0ne.R about using project-gc to check out all sorts of fun stats about favorite caches.  

On 3/13/2018 at 3:20 PM, geocat_ said:

One of our regional Geocaching groups does have an annual vote for "Best Cache" in several categories (including best log which is usually quite entertaining!)

I don't believe my local group does the same. May I have the link to some of these "best log" winners? I'd be very interested in reading up on some well-written logs. 

Haven't looked in a while after seeing caches noted with guideline issues, but the site does still have their "cache of the week" and the blog had a section called the "top ten geocaches of the week 2017".

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 0:24 PM, aer72 said:

How about a vote for best new cache of the year in each county/ state/ province. Then the top three could then be displayed on the geocaching website.

How would they be rated?  FPs?  Just total of responses?

We have 67 counties in my state alone.  Last I remember there were over 3100 counties just in the US.  Those "counties" include independent cities, parishes, and other names I don't remember.  :)   May be best to do something locally, as some above suggest.

19 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

May be best to do something locally, as some above suggest.

I agree.  Our local group has an annual event for this, the "Hideys," which recognize caches in different categories, overall best caches, and keeps an overall hall of fame.  One has to find a given cache to nominate it for voting and to vote for it.  It's a good local supplement to favorite points, and it's also a good excuse to get folks together, since it draws a bigger crowd than regular events.

On 3/14/2018 at 8:03 PM, TheLimeCat said:

I don't believe my local group does the same. May I have the link to some of these "best log" winners? I'd be very interested in reading up on some well-written logs. 

I don't think there is a list of these on any website.  

We do the Froggies event in metro Albuquerque every February to acknowledge local creativity.  My personal favorite categories are best cache by a new cacher, best first cache by a not-so-new cacher and the most aggravating cache. We used to do best log but many of them are long and unwieldy on a  ballot. We collect frogs all year long and the winners pick one and often use them for hides. One of the best is The Fairy Killer by Sandpig | GC46TBV ,