Eastside cachers

Pepper

TL I saw them there yesterday myself and wondered if SG#1 would be safe from there wrath. I just put a new log sheet and a pen in that cache Sunday. I will check on it today when the husband gets home from work.

Thanks,

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

It looks like I'm heading to Wenatchee today and later to Desert Canyon to play a little putt putt over there. They have a beautiful putt putt course that you really should take time to play sometime when you're on that side of the state.

Hopefully, I'll have a chance to hunt for a cache or two.

Cheers!

TL

Dang. I got skunked today. My first hunt was a DNF and I think the landscapers may have discovered it.

Then, on the next hunt, my father-in-law's tire blows on a sharp end of what was leftover from an apple orchard chopdown. That was it... head for home.

Cheers!

TL

TL sounds like some back luck was in for you on your caching day. Dohhh! I hate it when that happens.

The twins and I headed over to the Desert Side of the State for another Saturday of Caching. My success rate was much lower than last Saturday but then again I was alone last Saturday and this week I had twins in TOW! icon_eek.gif Makes for a much different caching experience. The first cache I did they were still Asleep in the car not 20ft away from me. icon_wink.gif

We managed to get 12 finds icon_smile.gif and almost as many DNF's icon_mad.gif

We saw 1 Black Bunny, 6 live Snakes and 1 plastic Snake(he's really dead now!) icon_biggrin.gif

Last weekend on that side of the State it was very cool and just wonderful. This week it was clear and very HOT, what a difference a week makes. The girls and I got a little sunburned on our faces, but managed not to get bit by the many snakes we encountered.

Lots of fun caching over there but I think I'm gonna stay on this side of the Cascades till summer's over. It was HOT, HOT, HOT over there it reminded me of CA. At the end of the day the girls and I were ready for some Redmond!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I must admit that it's good to hear others have days of multiple DNFs -- it's not just me! I get frustrated when I go somewhere and can't find the cache (especially if people before me logged how easy it was). Around Redmond, I can just tell myself I'll be back. On a trip, though, it's just going to stay a DNF.

Part of my problem was that I didn't have access to a printer, and I just couldn't get things working on my palm -- so I jotted down notes and tried to remember clues. Does anyone else use a Palm to hold cache pages? I can get GPXspinner working, to convert pages over, but I've had a really nasty time trying to get Plucker or iSilo going. I'm not sure that I like those better than a printed page normally, but it would be nice when I'm traveling.

I've been gone a week, and it is most definitely time to get home to the Pacific Northwest. I need mountains, cool air, and my own bed (tonight!).

Hope to meet you on the trails next week,

Cin

Rattlesnakes, Pepper???

Yeah, last weekend I got 4 DNFs in one day. Record for me. Had to come back to Tacoma next day and fix those! One I literally had my hand on it, but didn't explore well enough.

Cin...I use Palm/Plucker/gpxspinner. Never used iSilo though. Usually works, but sometimes certain cache pages don't get loaded for some reason.

Well, got to get going.Going crabbing and fishing today out in the Sound with an old friend.

Yah, My MeriPlat was registering 92 degrees and my Suunto watch was right there with it at 91 degrees. I hadn't felt heat like that for a couple of years.

Anyway, my father-in-law stayed in relatively good mood and bought shakes for everybody at Leavenworth DQ. I guess it helped I changed the tire out for him. LOL icon_biggrin.gif So maybe I'll get him out on another (less trying) cache hunt.

Oh by the way... if anybody is interested, I did get the chance to measure the lag at 60MPH. It 0.1 mile.

I do use a Palm with Plucker. The only problem I have with Plucker is the files can become as much as a MB big if you go more than 1 level. I think I should have done that for yesterday's hunt but I did print outs instead and left off the logs which turns out could have helped.

Cheers!

TL

[This message was edited by TotemLake on May 25, 2003 at 07:56 AM.]

Yeah, the memory kludge is a problem for the Palm -- I suppose it's time for me to get some memory to plug in, rather than relying on the RAM.

My problem with Plucker is I can't get it to crossover to the Palm -- it doesn't seem to go across in the sync. I can get iSilo to the palm, and (sometimes) the pages go across too....but it's been sporadic at best. The free trial version also doesn't support links, so you can't click on hint to get hint.

Guess I need to spend some time troubleshooting and trying to figure out what's up with it. I don't think I like it for caching around home, though -- too many hands full of things, between the GPS, dog leash, walking stick, I'm constantly trading things in and out as I walk. At least with pages, I can have them held behind my GPS or tucked in a sleeve until I need them. I also like being able to read more than a few lines of text at a time -- especially when figuring out puzzles or needing to jot down clues and look back and forth between hints, math equations, etc.

Now, what I'd really really like is a program that lets me decide what I want to print out on a page -- resize the text, eliminate maps or photos if I want to, choose the number of logs, eliminate some of the extraneous header info. Of course, you can always cut & paste into Word, but it's a long process.

And this has become a long post (I'm avoiding packing my suitcase).

Cin

TL I have a question about my ner plat. When I use the compass, lots of the time it is pointing in the opposite direction of the cache. I hate my new toy, I think i'm gonna go back to my Gold if I can't figure out what's up the darn thang.

Sometimes the compass says it's NW when I know for a fact it's really NE. So I end up using my map page which only works untill I get so close. Last week in the Desert all day long it was pointing in the complete opposite direction. Map goto was telling me directly ahead and the compass was saying the total opposite.

I ended up following the arrow on the clear side. Ahhh shoot is any of this making any since.

Stupid new toy!

Pepper

User may be stupid too, but surly that's not the case.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Pepper -- this week I noticed that mine did that while I was driving (very very straight roads out here). However, when I'm actually out walking it's correct most of the time (with some jiggling and wiggling from my motion). I make sure I recalibrate the compass every time I change the battery, and that does make a difference -- forgot to once, and everything was off for me.

But, I do find that sometimes I have to stop for a bit...let things settle down, then it gets a fix.

Is it the compass pointer (to the north) or the cache pointer that's giving you problems?

When we're out caching next week, let's test them and keep a close eye on how ours are working/differing. We got them just a couple of weeks apart, and if there's a big difference it could mean that yours has a problem and needs to be returned/exchanged.

Cin

Pepper,

It's like CachinCin said. Each time the batteries get swapped out, you have to recalibrate the compass. Also, when you recalibrate, make sure you're not around a lot of metal. I usually do mine outside on the picnic table just for that purpose.

Generally, I don't keep the compass orientation on magnetic when I'm cache hunting. I keep it on GPS heading because a floating compass is not a common feature with most folks hiding caches...

I use magnetic orientation only when I'm generally hiking. I did notice this orientation can be used inside the car. Most folks have claimed the motor will make the compass point at the motor, but I'm not seeing that happen. I can only surmise the compass is not a true magnetic compass but an electronic compass that will operate on a magnetic north or true north heading... which makes sense as this is how it is described in the book.

CachinCin,

I get around the link problem by decrypting the hint first then loading the web page via plucker.

Cheers!

TL

Hear Ye, Hear Ye

Let it known on this day of 25, May 2003 Pirates have been seen coming ashore. To all you Lads and Lasses of the Land near and far let it known these Pirates mean no harm. They are hunting for Treasures told of in our fare Land. Let them seek in peace and no harm will come to you.

Pirates

icon_geocachingwa.gif

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on May 25, 2003 at 12:09 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Hear Ye, Hear Ye

Let it known on this day of 25, May 2003 Pirates have been seen coming ashore. To all you Lads and Lasses of the Land near and far let it known these Pirates mean no harm. They are hunting for Treasures told of in our fare Land. Let them seek in peace and no harm will come to you.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/1436423_200.jpg

http://www.geocachingwa.org

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on May 25, 2003 at 12:09 PM.]

MR sent me the photo the other day...hilarious. they sure like to have fun! They've got more pics on their logs. I did the Goose cache some time back, but might have to see if I can turn up the other one.

I have not kept up with this HUGE thread but pop in for a visit every now and then, YES! DEFINATELY CHER!!! What a crack up when I saw that! I'm watching that cache and saw your really fun post. You guys are great!

...And evergreenhiker! The Pipeline, my man! The Pipeline! Wow! Was that great or what!!

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

Generally, I don't keep the compass orientation on magnetic when I'm cache hunting. I keep it on GPS heading because a floating compass is not a common feature with most folks hiding caches...

CachinCin,

I get around the link problem by decrypting the hint first then loading the web page via plucker.

Cheers!

TL

Thanks for these two tips! I'm not sure how to turn off the magnetic compass feature (still figuring everything out). If you have the time, could you give instructions?

I like your idea of decrypting the hint then loading the web page. That would definitely work when doing this one page at a time. Of course, I have to get plucker to actually install on my palm (still haven't been able to get that to work).

Cin (who votes Cher)

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

...And evergreenhiker! The Pipeline, my man! The Pipeline! Wow! Was that great or what!!

I've seen the recommendations for this both here and on another forum. I'm just about convinced to drive down to do this one, on the merits of ES & EGH's glowing reviews. icon_smile.gif

Can you two tell us anything more about it? What's so good -- views? the hike? the cache itself?

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by lucyandrickie:

We had so much fun playing pirates that day!

Lucy thinks Donna looks like Monica from Friends with that wig but Rickie says Cher. Any thoughts?

I Got You Babe.....

Cher!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Wouldn't want to spoil the fun, but it is a long hike for kids, 1.6 miles I think one way,about 3 round trip, and if you bring kids you may want to use the fisherman's trails rather than walking the Pipe where it is just bare pipe and not grated (they parallel the Pipe). Don't want to lose any youngins. Other then that, go get surprised.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

quote:

Wouldn't want to spoil the fun, but it is a long hike for kids, 1.6 miles I think one way,about 3 round trip, and if you bring kids you may want to use the fisherman's trails rather than walking the Pipe where it is just bare pipe and not grated (they parallel the Pipe). Don't want to lose any youngins. Other then that, go get surprised.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4497_300.jpg

_"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington_

That's about right. It's not a hard trail...flat, but do keep an eye on the little ones. Yeah, it's one of the best caches I've ever done!

Cin, do drive down there...lots of great caches to do down there besides Pipeline thoguh Pipeline gotta be near the top. One I did over at Coyote Wall is another must do especially if you go before the flowers die down.

Aurie may not like this one...there is significant grated portions. But Capt. Jack had his dog with him and it seemed to be doing fine.

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

[Aurie may not like this one...there is significant grated portions. But Capt. Jack had his dog with him and it seemed to be doing fine.

Good to know -- Aurie doesn't like grating much. I'll have to do this one without her. She'll be bummed, but she gets to go out on walks and hikes all the time. icon_smile.gif

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

quote:

CachinCin,

Cheers!

TL

Thanks for these two tips! I'm not sure how to turn off the magnetic compass feature (still figuring everything out). If you have the time, could you give instructions?

I like your idea of decrypting the hint then loading the web page. That would definitely work when doing this one page at a time. Of course, I have to get plucker to actually install on my palm (still haven't been able to get that to work).

Cin (who votes Cher)

For the compass setting, goto Setup, select Compass Orientation, and select GPS.

Again in Setup, change the North Reference to True.

If you use Magnetic, your bearings will be off by as much as 80 feet when you think you are at ground zero.

Cheers!

TL

I just got back from a circut over to the Tri Cities, Walla Walla, and the Gorge. While I was with family I was not able to do any tougher ones but here are a few easy ones worth doing:

State Patrol

Gorgeous

Quarry View

The Old Carty Place 2.0

The State Patrol cache was beautiful when I was there (colorful vegetation, flowers, late afternoon) contrasts of mauve and green, but if you are a mountain biker this place is great. I'm told there is a little mini canyon you ride through and the coyotes and badgers hiss at you. (But then I was also told that the Rattlesnakes are friendly icon_wink.gif )

4497_300.jpg

quote:

For the compass setting, goto Setup, select Compass Orientation, and select GPS.

Again in Setup, change the North Reference to True.

If you use Magnetic, your bearings will be off by as much as 80 feet when you _think_ you are at ground zero.

Cheers!

TL

Wow! I am in love with my new GPS again. I did what you said and it works like a charm!

On the other hand my outing with my Boy turned out really bad. TWO DNF's and the only two we went for because after the second DNF my boy was not impressed. He's like MOM the one time you convience me to go and we come home with nadda!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Sorry about the DNFs. I know how disappointing it can be when trying to show a first timer the sport... believe me... the pain is still pretty fresh from changing out that tire. icon_frown.gif

I guess I should have mentioned when you get to ground zero, allow the system to average and settle down for a couple of minutes. I'm finding I have the cache at my feet about 54% of the time at ground zero when I do this.

Cheers!

TL

quote:

I just got back from a circut over to the Tri Cities, Walla Walla, and the Gorge. While I was with family I was not able to do any tougher ones but here are a few easy ones worth doing:

State Patrol

Gorgeous

Quarry View

The Old Carty Place 2.0

The State Patrol cache was beautiful when I was there (colorful vegetation, flowers, late afternoon) contrasts of mauve and green, but if you are a mountain biker this place is great. I'm told there is a little mini canyon you ride through and the coyotes and badgers hiss at you. (But then I was also told that the Rattlesnakes are friendly icon_wink.gif )

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4497_300.jpg

_"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington_

I did Gorgeous and Quarry View a year ago...great easy caches!

quote:
I've seen the recommendations for this both here and on another forum. I'm just about convinced to drive down to do this one, on the merits of ES & EGH's glowing reviews.

Can you two tell us anything more about it? What's so good -- views? the hike? the cache itself?

Cin

From a cacher down south, who occassionally 'reads your mail' . . . . Definitely, a wonderful and unique cache. It would be a shame to give it away, but it's strength is in the hike and the views. The Columbian River Gorge itself is worth the trip anyway. Hope you will come down our way for some great caches. Evergreenhiker mentioned some others worth seeing as well - Quarry View, and Gorgeous. If you want some other recommendations, let me know. I tend to enjoy the caches that make me work for them, and many of the more fantastic ones require a 'typical' gorge hike where you are gaining a lot of elevation in a short distance. Some of these off the top of my head are Hardy and Rock of Ages. Another I enjoyed was Memaloose Island View.

quote:
Originally posted by DenaliNW:

[From a cacher down south, who occassionally 'reads your mail' . . . . Definitely, a wonderful and unique cache. It would be a shame to give it away, but it's strength is in the hike and the views. The Columbian River Gorge itself is worth the trip anyway. Hope you will come down our way for some great caches. Evergreenhiker mentioned some others worth seeing as well - Quarry View, and Gorgeous. If you want some other recommendations, let me know. I tend to enjoy the caches that make me work for them, and many of the more fantastic ones require a 'typical' gorge hike where you are gaining a lot of elevation in a short distance. Some of these off the top of my head are http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=4849 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=45152. Another I enjoyed was http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=2104.

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendations. I'm definitely going to be heading down that way, probably next week. There's a group of 4 of us who will be making the trip.

This summer we'll be foraying away from our home turf, getting in scenic hikes and finding caches along the way. Watch here for story-telling and photos. icon_smile.gif

cin

quote:

This summer we'll be foraying away from our home turf, getting in scenic hikes and finding caches along the way.

If I may, let me recommend a wonderful spot - Priest Lake up in the panhandle of Idaho. I'm a little biased, I suppose, since that is where I essentially grew up and I have spent the last few years sprinkling the area with caches! icon_smile.gif For great hikes to spectacular locations, I recommend:

Mount Roothaan Geocache

Cache Hunt

Lookout Mountain

Also, check out my log from Saturday on this awesome cache:

Just Your Standard Fishing Cache

If you do a search for caches nearest to these, you'll see the many others available in the area. You could have a pretty amazing week or two of cache hunting up there!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

quote:

This summer we'll be foraying away from our home turf, getting in scenic hikes and finding caches along the way.

If I may, let me recommend a wonderful spot - Priest Lake up in the panhandle of Idaho. I'm a little biased, I suppose, since that is where I essentially grew up and I have spent the last few years sprinkling the area with caches! icon_smile.gif For great hikes to spectacular locations, I recommend:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=3532

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=6821

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=30681

Also, check out my log from Saturday on this awesome cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=237480&L=1439040

If you do a search for caches nearest to these, you'll see the many others available in the area. You could have a pretty amazing week or two of cache hunting up there!

http://geocachingwa.org

Boy, it looks like I need to visit Idaho when I can! Those caches are the kinds I live for!

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Shameless self promotion!bigok.gif

Well I'm very disappointed that I didn't make it over to these caches last summer. However CarCache and I are looking to make it there this September. WooHoo

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

Cin, Priest Lake is a bit of a haul from Pullman, but worth the trip!

EGH, I think that you'd really find yourself at home up in the Selkirks. Spectacular territory.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

Shameless self promotion!

You're right - I hope that didn't come off wrong!

If any of you do plan on making it over this or any other year, let me know. We get over there as many weekends as we can during the summer, and are planning a week there in July.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I would love to do some of those hikes you guys keep going on. In fact, that was the main reason I bought my MeriPlat, was to take long hikes in confidence of finding my way out and not be a member of "the rescued many" that seems to be happening with greater frequency than I care for these days.

Anyway, step one is handled with the purchase of the GPSr. My next step is to purchase a decent backpack and outfit it.... just as soon as my brother helps me to fix up a `94 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I just bought. Should be ready in a month.

Cheers!

TL

Today Pepper, Michele ("Lucy"), and I headed up into the hills for a great hike near Snoqualmie Pass. We walked through the 2+ mile-long Snoqualmie Tunnel, grabbed a cache near the exit, then headed on to another cache further up the trail (brand new cache called Avalanche Shed).

What a beautiful day -- I've even got a bit of a sunburn. We figure that the entire hike was about 9 miles long (there and back), but it's all a level hike. If you haven't done the tunnel, you definitely should -- what a blast! Bring flashlights, and maybe even a light jacket. There are cache rewards at the end. Oh...do wait a few days, for a brand new cache to appear near the tunnel entrance (check LucyandRickie's account, since it should appear there).

Anyway, a highly recommended hike, and a chance to use those headlamps!

Cin

[This message was edited by CachinCin on May 29, 2003 at 08:45 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Did you guys start up from the Lake annette trailhead? Never done the tunnel...it's on my next to do list.

I don't think so. We started at the east side of the tunnel -- a parking lot just, oh....800 feet or so from the tunnel entrance.

Michele took parking coordinates (to post with the new cache), so perhaps she'll type them in here? I happen to know that her computer mouse bit the dust this morning (thanks to a spilled latte), so she might not have computer access until tomorrow.

It was really a blast, EGH. The tunnel echoes back at you, there's water dripping all over the place, and you see the light at the other end for the entire end...it just gets bigger and bigger.

Cin

Thanks MB! Yeah, the tunnel is really fun, and there's a lot of mountain on top of it. Amazing that people actually dug this out in the early 1800s.

I'll post some photos soon -- you can see the 3 of us hoofing through, and searching for some fun caches. icon_smile.gif

Cin

I've done the tunnel 4 times. Once before Geocaching, Twice to Jeremy's original Iron Horse, and once as one of the first finders of ''Tunnel of Light''. Boy was that a kick! The tunnel is an awesome thing to do anytime. A must.

4497_300.jpg

Cin, I was involved in the Project Ape cache with Jeremy, so I can answer your question.

Project Ape was a marketing effort by 20th Century Fox in conjunction with Geocaching.com designed to promote the 2001 remake of Planet of the Apes. Fox, through Jeremy, would contact geocachers around the world and get their help hiding geocaches in locations that Fox targeted for promotion. Fox would supply the container as well as an original prop from the movie. Later caches also included additional promotional gear such as t-shirts, coins, collector cards, etc.

We knew ahead of time that the prop for Mission 9 in Washington would be a torch from the movie, so Jeremy thought of the dark tunnel where he had hidden his Iron Horse cache. It made for a perfect locale! We got State Parks permission and were accompanied by a ranger as well as photographers from a magazine doing a story on Jeremy and geocaching.

icon_geocachingwa.gif