Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

EGH are you out there?

Happy Birthday to you...

Happy Birthday to you...

Happy Birthday Dear EGH...

Happy Birthday to you!

Hopy you went out and made it a good one.

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Horizontals where it's at!

Hey thanks,Pepper! I having a bunch of people over...family and old friends.

I've put out another cache for you guys...hopefully it will be accepted before too long.

quote:
Originally posted by MarcusArelius:

Make that 3 B-days. May 6th every year.

Marcus

Well, Well, Well, your day has arrived only to grow a year older!

Happy Birthday MarcuArelius.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Hey TL,

I see you changed your Avatar. What's the story behind the cool image?

John...evergreenhiker!

Hi evergreenhiker!

Well to start, I picked a nic to represent the closest landmark to my home besides Kirkland Hill, (aka Mohawk Hill, Punk Hill, etc. represented by Ant Hill GEOCache). I quickly located a photo of Totem Lake but also just as quickly decided it lacked in a certain individual way.

The avatar image is one of a series of collector's cards known as Jim Warren's Surrealism B*E*Y*O*N*D BIZARRE.

This image is #73 known as Robot Doctor and was originally done as a book cover but as with most of Jim Warren's artwork, can stand on its own as an interesting piece.

That's the write up on the back of the card. I just thought it was cool, represents several interests at one time, and would make an easily recognizable image when I start pasting my personalized labels in the cache logbooks instead of the arial photo of Totem Lake behind the Totem Lake Mall in Kirkland. I used to use it as a background on my computer a few years back.

The interests you ask? Well... sci-fi freak, gadget geek, and two of my most favorite albums, Alan Parson's I Robot, and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, specifically the track Brain Damage. icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, you can see a larger image in this profile. There is a bit more detail not quite seen in this little one.

Cheers!

TL

Today Pepper and I completed Lucy&Rickie's Pieces of the Puzzle series. Wow! I had a great time with each of the caches, and finishing them up has given me a huge sense of accomplishment. In my log for the final cache, I wrote that these challenged my mind, body, and spirit.

If you haven't already completed the series, you should give it a try! You'll see beautiful spots in nature, get in some good walks, visit sculptures, and even do some math.

Cin

Oh Happy Day! Pepper got a new Meridian Platunum for her B-Day. CachinCin and I are headed to Kent today for an all day Marathon Cache Day. My new toy will be put to good use!

The Husband done GOOD!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Okay...so every once in a while I screw up and accidentlly post something twice (like when my browser crashes in the middle of a post and I refresh my screen and get screwy messages)...

Sorry for anyone who saw doubles today. I tried to delete this message, but it wouldn't let me. icon_frown.gif

Cin

TotemLake,

I have a question for ya, on my meriplat the battery cover does not fit tightly. On my merigold it fits nice and tight. Just wondering if yours is the same way. I used it today for the first time and noticed that it was a little different. I compared the two when I got home and was conserned about water being able to get into the battery area. I took it back to exchange it and the other one the had on the shelf was the exact same.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

That's normal for the MeriPlat. You will find there is a little resistance when you press the coverplate in. This is because the ridge inside the plate is actually pressing in on the rubber gasket.

I've heard some people complain this isn't a watertight compartment, but my personal experience based on falling into Baker River this past January showed it was indeed watertight. It was the first in and the last out as I picked myself back up.

Cheers!

TL

I went out caching yesterday with my IPac using Gpxview and I am hooked! Sure made life much eaiser out on the trail. Also hit #500 on one of Weinerdog's caches. It took me 423 days to hit 500. I wonder if I can keep up with myself at that pace?

TotemLake I'm wondering if your gonna make it to the meeting on Tuesday if so I have a few questions for ya about the meriplat.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Wander Lost:

Pepper,

Let me know if you are interested in trying some of the south end caches. I have some free time this week and would love to get out of the house.

Wanderlost I am always ready for a caching day!

You will be receiving an email shortly.

MarcusArelius,

I have never laughed so hard when I read your here, your funny. Read the latest post on Momma Cache the Stop sign is already fixed!

See ya'll tomorrow evening.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Got back from my trip...White Salmon/Yakima. 28 caches found, 2 DNFs, and one turned down...Poison Oak.

Notable caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=50460

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=53790

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14954

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=6962

My 700 Find!!!!:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=53734

Great weekend. Now, I've got to slooow down. See you all at the meeting.

Here's a question for everyone to mull over:

what geocaching items do (or should) you take when you travel by plane?

When I'm driving by car, I take all of my gear -- backpack, walking stick, etc. But plane flights are a different story, especially when I'm flying on a business trip and know I'll only have an hour or two here and there to find nearby caches.

I'm thinking that I'll just take a pen, GPS, and Palm...but then I start thinking about water and travel bugs and flashlights and...well, before you know it, I need my pack again. icon_smile.gif

Cin

P.S. Next week I'll be in Indiana -- has anyone cached around the Ball State or Purdue campuses? (I've not gotten any responses from the Midwest forums)

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

Wow, EGH -- you deserve a round of applause!

**clap** clap-clap *** clap *** Bravo! icon_biggrin.gif

Those were some great caches you hit, with loads of sunshine, blue sky, and views.

Cin (who's still chuckling over M.A.'s stop sign)

Thanks Cin! I've just uploaded lots of pics for the coyote wall cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=53790

Here's the Cabin cache that is now archived. Note the pics of the p-oak:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=56856

EGH I just finished looking at the pics you posted, BEAUTIFUL! Went through all your logs for the day and it seems as if you had a blast last weekend.

Congrats on hitting #700.

Last nights Meeting at the Pyramide Alehouse turned out to be loads of fun.

My thanks to Cindy & Jeff for a ride to the meeting.

Had a very nice time chatting with all the area cachers.

So until next time we meet, Cache On!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I had loads of fun chatting with everyone at the Alehouse last night. While I love the quiet of forest hikes, it's good to get out and interact with everyone too (especially since I work from home and usually only talk to my pets!).

Several people last night asked me where I got my Geocacher T-shirt. Here's the URL for Skydiver Gear:

http://www.skydivergear.com/

He sells through cafepress.com (same as the WSGA stuff). I have two of his t-shirts, and it looks like he's adding new things all the time.

However....all of his little figures are men. I think that we women need to come up with some Geocaching Women slogans/icons, and start selling our own t-shirts! icon_smile.gif

Cin

Weeeeeeee! I just got my new Magellan Platinum and am one happy geocacher! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, it was time to upgrade from my little yellow Garmin eTrex. It has served me well, but I needed more...more power, more accuracy, and well, maps.

I'm passing the eTrex on to my youngest brother, who just graduated with a degree in Geography. He's only been able to geocache when one of his sisters visits, so he'll be glad to be able to search for caches on the trails in Wyoming.

Off to fiddle with my new gadget,

Cin

Well well well looks as if Weinerdog and I were in the same area caching Saturday. I thought I might eventually run to them but I did not I was on her tail part of the way at several caches and then they must have gone a different route.

Eastside over the Cascades was my play ground Saturday. After starting my day off at 2:30AM(yes I already know I'm crazy)and hitting the road by 3:00AM I was ready to retrace the steps of the YCM. The first problem of the day was EARLY. Just past North Bend I run into a slusy ice mixture on the road as I continue on it starts SNOWING! Oh my GAWD I could hardly see the road and I was freaking out, but not enough to turn around and go home so I trudge on and on and on at 25 mph. The big rigs that went by were blinding me with a snow covered front window it only had to happen once befor I started pulling over to the side and let them go by. Anyway I FINALLY made it to Cle Elum where I did my first cache at 5:34AM and it just so happen to be where I did my last cache at 6:30ish PM 24 caches later. I was not successful at retracing the YMC steps because I had a hard time driving by caches and since I was on no time crunch I just did it my own way one cache at a time one right after the other. My day consisted of Hikes that went straight UP, straight DOWN, drive by's and drive to's. It was fun except the for the 4 or 5 DNF's. I guess when you have more than one pair of eye's spotting a cache gets much eaiser.

I could of done more with 4 hours of day light left, but I decided to call it a day when I started thinking I might have to battle SNOW again in the dark.

I pretty much cleaned out Ellensburg, and Hwy 821. I'm planning on heading back to Yakima next Saturday if anyone is interested in going.

Hope ya'll had a great weekend.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on May 18, 2003 at 04:16 PM.]

Wow Pepper! That's getting just a little obssesive isn't it? How do you like that Platinum? You mentioned earlier you had some questions to ask me of it, but I guess we didn't get the chance to connect at the meeting. Were you able to satisfy your questions?

Cheers!

TL

I'll have to check your logs, Pepper. Sounds like you had a good day. Yep, it can still be winter up in the mountains!

I've been doing Tacoma these last two days. 19 caches, 4 DNFs. I did correct two of those DNFs today though. Yesterday it seems, every cache was a tough find. Some days are like that. One was a missing cache.

One cache I did was Mother's Day cache...I don't recommend that one...cache is within 100 yards of a homeless fort...that's right fort...made of logs. Made me a bit uneasy.

Criminal's Cliffside cache was a lot of fun. Not as bad as I though it would be. You just have to take it slow going back down...almost vertical in places/loose dirt. Anyway, I'm gonna see what you did over in Yakima now. Didn't get to do his Galloping Gertie, but will next time.

Just got back from looking at Pepper's posts:

Elkmilk sure has put out some nice boxes hasn't he! Glad you did my 700th Find one. Yep, hiking stick would have been useful for the downhill part. I took a spill anyway on my way down!

Sounds like Elkmilk was playing a prank on us cachers with that snake at his Dime cache.

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on May 18, 2003 at 09:34 PM.]

EGH your 700th find was one I HAD to do after reading your posts and seeing your pics. I read you post in the log book (TWO PAGES!), it was a fun one. I also took about an eight foot slide at that one and let me tall ya I was hanging on the my GPS with dear life. I can only imagin what the husband would of said when I told him "well honey I was coming back from the really cool cache, I didn't have my hiking stick I fell and the GPS well it..."

Have a great day all.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Hey I've been meaning to ask this and I know this is probably not the correct forum but....

What is the proper etiquette for your DNF log entires, once you suceed at finding the cache?

I notice that some people change the DNF entires to finds and others leave the original DNF then make a new found entry.

Mark

quote:
Originally posted by MarcusArelius:

Hey I've been meaning to ask this and I know this is probably not the correct forum but....

What is the proper etiquette for your DNF log entires, once you suceed at finding the cache?

I notice that some people change the DNF entires to finds and others leave the original DNF then make a new found entry.

Mark

For myself I normally go back to my DNF and do an Edit change the date for the date I finally found it and type in the date by the old DNF log.

I think it's a preference thing go with what feels right to you.

Pepper icon_biggrin.gif

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Pepper's right. Whatever works for you. I personally like to leave my DNFs in as it's often more interesting to read DNFs as they give you clues as to what not to do and what to avoid. This way you get to see the full history of the cache.

I edit my DNF, but the original log stays in place, below the new one. I generally date and time stamp my logs so adding the date is no biggie.

Cheers!

TL

Hello from the state of Indiana!

I'm here on a business trip, but today is my geocaching day. I did get in one (fairly quick) cache while on the Ball State campus, and already I'm realizing a couple of things:

1. When geocaching in hedges, look for the spot where the branches seem to naturally part (sort of like a cachers' trail).

2. The reception here, without tons of trees and hills and canyons (okay, no hills or canyons at all), is pretty dead on. My new WAAS GPS really rocks out here!

Today I'm in West Lafayette, on the Purdue campus. There aren't really any caches on campus, so I rented a car for a couple of days...just to go geocaching (cuz I'd just explode if I couldn't, you know). The coolest thing happened -- the car rental place was crazy busy, so the woman on the phone asked if I could wait a couple of hours. I did, and I told her not to worry -- I'd take any little thing.

Well, the "any little thing" I ended up with is a brand-spanking new silver Mustang convertible! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

It's going to be about 70 degrees and sunny this afternoon, and I'm going geocaching with the top down!

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

Hello from the state of Indiana!

I'm here on a business trip, but today is my geocaching day. I did get in one (fairly quick) cache while on the Ball State campus, and already I'm realizing a couple of things:

1. When geocaching in hedges, look for the spot where the branches seem to naturally part (sort of like a cachers' trail).

2. The reception here, without tons of trees and hills and canyons (okay, no hills or canyons at all), is pretty dead on. My new WAAS GPS really rocks out here!

Today I'm in West Lafayette, on the Purdue campus. There aren't really any caches on campus, so I rented a car for a couple of days...just to go geocaching (cuz I'd just explode if I couldn't, you know). The coolest thing happened -- the car rental place was crazy busy, so the woman on the phone asked if I could wait a couple of hours. I did, and I told her not to worry -- I'd take any little thing.

Well, the "any little thing" I ended up with is a brand-spanking new silver Mustang convertible! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

It's going to be about 70 degrees and sunny this afternoon, and I'm going geocaching with the top down!

Cin

Cachin in Style! Have fun!!!

Pepper, I was wishing you were with me today. I had two DNFs, and I just know you would have spotted them! And, of course, I would have had someone to talk to besides myself...

Anyone else here talk to yourself when you're out in the woods?

I did see some really cool things, though...waterfalls, big bluffs towering over streams, deer tracks, raccoons, lots of butterflies, some sort of storks or loons that are all over, hawks... oh, and a really beautiful mink or weasel (with beautiful, plush black fur).

Oh, and I had a blast driving with the top down on country highways. What fun!

I am, however, ready to geocache in Washington again -- where I'm familiar with hiding strategies and types of containers, and where there are actual mountains. icon_smile.gif

Cin