How many people don't read cache descriptions?

Yes, refer people to a webpage with more information. Maybe add a couple of sentences for intrigue. If it's a historical site there's likely going to be plaques or a museum with lots of information.

I typically bring along paper printouts for (interesting) multi caches (for some I just scribble down notes a sheet of paper) and also for other caches where the description seems to contain something of interest to me. Links to some webpage do not help me at all at the cache site. I might miss interesting details at the cache site just because I cannot read about them when being at the site. I could of course do all the research already at home before leaving and I of course typically have a look at the cache description somewhen before leaving (could be weeks or even months in advance), but I do not like links when it comes to information I'd like to use at the cache site.

What you suggest above greatly prefers those cachers who either do not care about the provided background information or have mobile internet. My cache descriptions are optimized towards those who cache based on paper printouts (where everyone can include what they want to include before sending off the text to the printer).

My comment was mostly based on repetitive information that can be found at the cache site, like the information off of a plaque or in a museum set up for that historical area.

Still, if you print off the sheet, I suspect that you also read the write up on your computer before printing and can click for more information before heading to the location. Maybe even print off the information from the wiki page before heading out.

However, if a CO is going to add additional info about the site, being succinct would be great (as opposed to copy and paste from Wikipedia). It is tough scrolling and scrolling through the little screen on our our GPS units.

Yes, refer people to a webpage with more information. Maybe add a couple of sentences for intrigue. If it's a historical site there's likely going to be plaques or a museum with lots of information.

I typically bring along paper printouts for (interesting) multi caches (for some I just scribble down notes a sheet of paper) and also for other caches where the description seems to contain something of interest to me. Links to some webpage do not help me at all at the cache site. I might miss interesting details at the cache site just because I cannot read about them when being at the site. I could of course do all the research already at home before leaving and I of course typically have a look at the cache description somewhen before leaving (could be weeks or even months in advance), but I do not like links when it comes to information I'd like to use at the cache site.

What you suggest above greatly prefers those cachers who either do not care about the provided background information or have mobile internet. My cache descriptions are optimized towards those who cache based on paper printouts (where everyone can include what they want to include before sending off the text to the printer).

My comment was mostly based on repetitive information that can be found at the cache site, like the information off of a plaque or in a museum set up for that historical area.

Still, if you print off the sheet, I suspect that you also read the write up on your computer before printing and can click for more information before heading to the location. Maybe even print off the information from the wiki page before heading out.

However, if a CO is going to add additional info about the site, being succinct would be great (as opposed to copy and paste from Wikipedia). It is tough scrolling and scrolling through the little screen on our our GPS units.

One of the early cache series in this area had laminated print-outs in the cache. Each one was placed at a spot that was important to the former rail system and the print-out would explain what it used to look like and how it had changed over the years. It was more relevant to read it at the site. I still remember those caches with fondness.

One of the early cache series in this area had laminated print-outs in the cache. Each one was placed at a spot that was important to the former rail system and the print-out would explain what it used to look like and how it had changed over the years. It was more relevant to read it at the site. I still remember those caches with fondness.

That's a great idea.

(I haven't read through the whole topic yet)

I never thought to not read the descriptions. I always do, no matter how long it is. Normally I'll read it out loud while my husband drives to the cache if its urban and if its in a park one of us reads it out loud while walking to it. But we never start our search without reading it first.

But I would be really upset to learn that most people skip the information. I try to keep my cache descriptions not too long but I like to actually teach people something! A lot of my caches have long paragraphs of information, like my series The Value of a Dollar which are all park and grabs in front of Dollar Trees. But in each one I teach you something about US Currency and I take my time to put together the information. I like to make it a little more interesting then just another park and grab, you know? It takes me well over an hour to do most of my cache pages because not only do I put together information I code the pages to look nice, which with the new app you have to click web to actually see which is disappointing because I know most people don't.

I would take a cache that teaches you something over one that has no description any day.

It takes me well over an hour to do most of my cache pages because not only do I put together information I code the pages to look nice, which with the new app you have to click web to actually see which is disappointing because I know most people don't.
Of course, those viewing the description on a handheld GPSr won't have the option of viewing it on the web. So don't worry too much about the formatting.

+1

Things were a lot different when we started, where folks would actually take the time to read things in the cache.

Mills, tanneries, Civilian Conservation Corps sites, old bridges, one-room schools, etc.

Those were some of our favorites.

But I would be really upset to learn that most people skip the information. I try to keep my cache descriptions not too long but I like to actually teach people something! A lot of my caches have long paragraphs of information, like my series The Value of a Dollar which are all park and grabs in front of Dollar Trees. But in each one I teach you something about US Currency and I take my time to put together the information. I like to make it a little more interesting then just another park and grab, you know?

Sorry, but (to me) if it quacks like a duck...

(I haven't read through the whole topic yet)

I never thought to not read the descriptions. I always do, no matter how long it is. Normally I'll read it out loud while my husband drives to the cache if its urban and if its in a park one of us reads it out loud while walking to it. But we never start our search without reading it first.

But I would be really upset to learn that most people skip the information. I try to keep my cache descriptions not too long but I like to actually teach people something! A lot of my caches have long paragraphs of information, like my series The Value of a Dollar which are all park and grabs in front of Dollar Trees. But in each one I teach you something about US Currency and I take my time to put together the information. I like to make it a little more interesting then just another park and grab, you know? It takes me well over an hour to do most of my cache pages because not only do I put together information I code the pages to look nice, which with the new app you have to click web to actually see which is disappointing because I know most people don't.

I would take a cache that teaches you something over one that has no description any day.

If you want to teach people stuff, get them to engage in an experience. Create a multi or a puzzle or hide the cache in a cool place. Even then, expect that some people will team up, take shortcuts, or otherwise avoid learning whatever it is you're teaching.

Dumping random information on a cache page for a park and grab doesn't make the cache interesting, even if you format it nicely. Most people do skip the descriptions on traditionals most of the time. Traditional caches are hidden at the posted coordinates so unless there's a complication, the written description isn't needed to find the cache.

Well if the information is present at the site, I do not have a need for the full information in the cache page - however that's very rarely the case.

Yes, I typically skim through the information but that can be weeks or months earlier. I hardly do any printing directly before heading out - much more often when a cache shows up and I decide to go for it sometimes later.

It's clear that cachers who use their GPS units for reading the text have completely different preferences than those who use paper. My GPS unit does not show text anyway and I'm not a PM and even if I were and had a different GPS-unit I would not want to read some text there.

It's unfortunate that Groundspeak does not have tags that allow to switch on or off certain parts of the text.

But I would be really upset to learn that most people skip the information. I try to keep my cache descriptions not too long but I like to actually teach people something! A lot of my caches have long paragraphs of information, like my series The Value of a Dollar which are all park and grabs in front of Dollar Trees. But in each one I teach you something about US Currency and I take my time to put together the information. I like to make it a little more interesting then just another park and grab, you know?

Sorry, but (to me) if it quacks like a duck...

+1 A nice write up is always welcome and can make the caching experience more enjoyable. For the caches mentioned, the cache descriptions wouldn't make them any more interesting for me since i know they are park and grabs placed at retail store locations. Having said that, this is my preference and is not the way most people think. Most people like these caches because of the fact that they are park and grabs. I would imagine the caches get plenty of traffic but because they show up as easy traditional caches, i doubt their descriptions get read very often.

I read cache descriptions only about half the time. And when I do, if it's really long and drawn out or poorly formatted text, such as never using paragraphs or line breaks, I almost always stop reading the description unless it's required to score the cache (multi, earth, puzzle, etc).

But I would be really upset to learn that most people skip the information.

Why get upset? I don't understand why people get upset over the most mundane things.

People get upset because they put a lot of thought and effort into the web page, which to me and many others is the first half of the hide.

To call it mundane is to diminish the CO's effort.

It's kinda like cooking a big special multi-course dinner and having people say "I'll just have some salad."

I'm disappointed when people don't read mine, but that's the game.

Why get upset? I don't understand why people get upset over the most mundane things.

People get upset because they put a lot of thought and effort into the web page, which to me and many others is the first half of the hide.

It's kinda like cooking a big special multi-course dinner and having people say "I'll just have some salad."

Well put. I won't get upset if someone doesn't acknowledge the history/purpose of a cache and simply writes "tftc", but I find it a little unfortunate that the growth in popularity of the hobby seems to have led to a sort of "demotion" of traditionals. I'm still quite new, but from the copious amount of reading I've done about the game I can see that there was a time in the earlier years when every cache page would have been read. But, like you said, it's just the game now.

Yes, but if one person doesn't read it, that should be a value of zero, not a negative value. To get upset, you have to think you've lost something when one geocacher doesn't read it, and that's just wrong headed. Getting upset about that one seeker that didn't read makes no more sense than getting upset about all the geocacers that haven't read it because they live in another country.

Yes, but if one person doesn't read it, that should be a value of zero, not a negative value. To get upset, you have to think you've lost something when one geocacher doesn't read it, and that's just wrong headed. Getting upset about that one seeker that didn't read makes no more sense than getting upset about all the geocacers that haven't read it because they live in another country.

Sorry, I disagree.

Someone in another country has no reason or opportunity to read my cache, except by chance.

When someone actually goes after my cache but doesn't read it, that's disappointing because I haven't been able to enhance their experience as much as I was hoping to. Since I write to entertain (usually unsuccessfully), having people who are right there not even give it a glance IS a 'negative', as you said. I HAVE lost something; the kick I get from making the whole cache a better experience. See https://coord.info/GC3JKPA - not hysterical, but amusing. Smile at my write-up, and I feel good.

See my cooking analogy in my previous post; you can't really be equating that to someone in another country, are you?

It happens. My seafood paella is a lot of work, and my wife and I think it's delicious, but a friend hates seafood. My roast leg of lamb, ditto, but another friend doesn't eat red meat. My baklava, ditto, but another friend is vegan. And so on.

Sometimes you just have to be content with all of your guests finding something they enjoy, even if they can't or won't partake of everything you offer.

I'm still quite new, but from the copious amount of reading I've done about the game I can see that there was a time in the earlier years when every cache page would have been read.
I've been geocaching for more than 10 years. Back then, people would load PQ data that included only the GC code and the coordinates, and go find caches. They didn't read the cache description. They didn't even read the cache name.

But maybe back in the earlier earlier years...

Or you can plan ahead which non-traditional caches you want to target and translate the pages before you go.

If you use GSAK you can edit the text that will be downloaded to your GPS as well as corrected puzzle coords.

If you don't you can still print out a few pages, or just compress the important stuff into a doc of your own creation.

Thanks for the tips. I may just solve the ones by the hotel and the places we are definitely going to see.

When someone actually goes after my cache but doesn't read it, that's disappointing because I haven't been able to enhance their experience as much as I was hoping to.

So there's some minimum amount you have to enhance their experience, and if you don't reach that level, you get upset? That sounds like a sad way to look at the world.

See my cooking analogy in my previous post; you can't really be equating that to someone in another country, are you?

Yes, I am. You don't worry about the person in another country because they got zero enhancement from your efforts, so it makes no sense to turn around and be upset about someone whose experience you enhanced significantly, just not as much as you were hoping. Someone was very happy to find your cache, but you consider their experience and their gratitude crap because they didn't get all of the experience.

Your friend comes over, you enjoy their company, have a nice conversation, have dinner together, generally experience a wonderful evening. And then you shout, "A salad! All you want is a salad?! Get out of here, you jerk!"

When someone actually goes after my cache but doesn't read it, that's disappointing because I haven't been able to enhance their experience as much as I was hoping to.

So there's some minimum amount you have to enhance their experience, and if you don't reach that level, you get upset? That sounds like a sad way to look at the world.

Yes, I am. You don't worry about the person in another country because they got zero enhancement from your efforts, so it makes no sense to turn around and be upset about someone whose experience you enhanced significantly, just not as much as you were hoping. Someone was very happy to find your cache, but you consider their experience and their gratitude crap because they didn't get all of the experience.

Your friend comes over, you enjoy their company, have a nice conversation, have dinner together, generally experience a wonderful evening. And then you shout, "A salad! All you want is a salad?! Get out of here, you jerk!"

Gosh, Don - Here's why I'm not going to answer the substance of your last post.

You're taking words I write and twisting them for antagonistic effect. For example, in your three paragraphs:

•  
  • I say I'm disappointed, and you turn it into being upset. The initial use of the word "upset" wasn't mine, but you use it to imply that I'm on the verge of tears or going to throw a tantrum.
  • I simply say that I'm disappointed when my cache page doesn't get read because someone won't get every part of the experience I craft for them, and you respond with: "...you consider their experience and their gratitude crap because they didn't get all of the experience."
  • I draw a parallel to a simple example of disappointment, and you mischaracterize it as: "...And then you shout, "A salad! All you want is a salad?! Get out of here, you jerk!"" - Really?

Too much work for me - I'm out of this one.

There's a distinct difference between disappointed and upset. I hide many fine caches. Do I get disappointed when my work isn't appreciated? Yes. Do I get upset? Nope, I don't waste my time. I got over myself a long time ago.

There's a distinct difference between disappointed and upset. I hide many fine caches. Do I get disappointed when my work isn't appreciated? Yes. Do I get upset? Nope, I don't waste my time. I got over myself a long time ago.

I agree with your attitude.

I usually read the cache description - twice. Once when I'm scouting it out and the second time when I'm near the cache or getting ready to start out for it.

My reasoning isn't preparedness or hints, although they do play a minor part or act as a bonus. My reason is simple: the CO took time to write it up. Some folks in our area (geocat and others, I'm looking at you) put significant effort into writing their descriptions and making them fun and/or imaginative. As a result, I try to do the same and I hope people read mine. With a cache I imagine the CO wants to take me somewhere, show me something, or make me smile. I hope the cache description wants to do the same.

tl;dr - I do. Respect the CO. Like showing, they're saying.

• I say I'm disappointed, and you turn it into being upset. The initial use of the word "upset" wasn't mine, but you use it to imply that I'm on the verge of tears or going to throw a tantrum.

This is where we started:

I think it's perfectly reasonable to interpret that as saying you yourself would be upset. But never mind because I've been focusing on "upset" specifically to make you think about what you're saying: I knew from the beginning you (and lovers218) probably really only meant "disappointed". My argument applies just as well for disappointment: you should focus on how much people did enjoy your cache and stop seeing the extra fun they could have had as a negative.

When you say you're disappointed, you make me think you would have preferred they hadn't found your cache to begin with.

• I draw a parallel to a simple example of disappointment, and you mischaracterize it as: "...And then you shout, "A salad! All you want is a salad?! Get out of here, you jerk!"" - Really?

Of course what I said was an exaggeration, but how is that a mischaracterization? Instead of focusing on how much you enjoyed the evening, you walk away from it disappointed because your guest enjoyed the salad.

I have a fair amount of caches with historical info on them, most of the descriptions have just a brief description and then some links with more info for anyone who might want to read them (I wonder if anyone actually does?).

I have two caches that I put all the info in the description. To me, the history was so interesting I wanted to put it all out there because I figure almost nobody reads links. I love history and info, but I probably wouldn't read a link on a cache page, either. But I do read all cache descriptions, either at home before or after finding the cache, or read out loud to my husband before or after finding the cache.

On the two caches that I put a long description on, I put a lot of time into doing research - reading books, internet, and museums. The cache descriptions are a compilation of my research put down in my own words. One of the caches has a compilation of info on the subject that I believe to be the most comprehensive on the subject anywhere (Miss Veedol). I'm quite proud of that.

I do know that it's a ton of reading for a cache page, and if people don't want to read it, they don't have to. One of the caches is a micro at a park (Sternwheeler Landing), and if people don't like history, they can treat it like a park and grab. If they like history, they have the option. I figure either way, people are happy.

I get a fair amount of comments about the write up for Sternwheeler Landing, so that's nice. Miss Veedol is one that people are only going to attempt if they like to roam around for miles doing their own hunt for the history of the area, and will only do that if they want that history. So all of those very infrequent logs are appreciative of the cache experience.

Funny thing is, I did a lot of research for Sternwheeler Landing, and after getting it published, I found more info at a museum. I was like, "No, no, no...I'm NOT adding to the cache page! Somebody stop me!". :laughing:

Miss Veedol

Sternwheeler Landing

On the two caches that I put a long description on, I put a lot of time into doing research - reading books, internet, and museums. The cache descriptions are a compilation of my research put down in my own words. One of the caches has a compilation of info on the subject that I believe to be the most comprehensive on the subject anywhere (Miss Veedol). I'm quite proud of that.

I just read the description of Miss Veedol even though I will never get there - very interesting and nicely done. I like such write ups which go beyond what can easily be found by a 10 seconds search in the internet. The write up is an integral part for me for such caches (of course along with what I experience and get to see along the way) while the container in the end is almost irrelevant for me.

Edited by cezanne

I used to always try to put some thought and effort into our caches because i thought it would make for a more enjoyable experience for most people. Sure, there are still finders who really appreciate this but their numbers have really dwindled. Now with so many tftc type logs coming in, i've pretty much given up hiding because i know they aren't what the masses want. The enjoyment is simply the smiley.

Not upset but yes, it is a bit disappointing.

It happens. My seafood paella is a lot of work, and my wife and I think it's delicious, but a friend hates seafood. My roast leg of lamb, ditto, but another friend doesn't eat red meat. My baklava, ditto, but another friend is vegan. And so on.

Sometimes you just have to be content with all of your guests finding something they enjoy, even if they can't or won't partake of everything you offer.

I'm still quite new, but from the copious amount of reading I've done about the game I can see that there was a time in the earlier years when every cache page would have been read.
I've been geocaching for more than 10 years. Back then, people would load PQ data that included only the GC code and the coordinates, and go find caches. They didn't read the cache description. They didn't even read the cache name.

But maybe back in the earlier earlier years...

The only question that remains is, when am I coming over for dinner??

I just read the description of Miss Veedol even though I will never get there - very interesting and nicely done. I like such write ups which go beyond what can easily be found by a 10 seconds search in the internet. The write up is an integral part for me for such caches (of course along with what I experience and get to see along the way) while the container in the end is almost irrelevant for me.

Thanks. I also appreciate it when there's info on the cache page, especially if it relates to the location of the cache hide.

It depends. If we are traveling and just looking for a quick cache in order to get a find in a new area that we would otherwise never visit or stop in (aka, just driving through), we typically just pull up the app and look for the closest cache off the highway. All we check is the "recent log" list to make sure it's actually there. If needed, we'll look at the "hint". Rarely will we look at the description; just don't have time for it in those cases.

I'm much more likely to read the description if I'm using the website to look up caches beforehand or even after the fact; if I didn't log it on my phone and now I'm back at home logging everything on the website then I'll finally read the description at that point, even though I made the find several hours earlier.

If you really want people to read your description, make it a puzzle or multi-stage cache - so that it will not be possible to find the cache without reading the description.

I am planning on going to Germany later this year or maybe next year. After seeing this thread, I realized I won't be able to read the descriptions. I am going to be using a GPS and not a phone, so I don't know an easy way to translate any of them. It will be a traditional only trip I suppose. :(

Or you can plan ahead which non-traditional caches you want to target and translate the pages before you go.

[snip]

You could post a short note on the Germanspeaking forum here. Most of them speak enough english to help you out. Or, if you want to share where you will be and when, there might be some local cachers that could join you. That way you get translations, company and a good chance to see and learn more about the area you are in than the average traveler. Just sayin... ;-)

My effort in reading pages correlates fairly well to the effort that I think the owner put in. The more effort, the more likely it is that I read the full thing.

I tend to focus on information that helps me to get to and then to find the cache first and then after I signed the log (hopefully) I read the description when I am at GZ. I do however find great variations with areas when it comes to habits of informative listings and the use of spoiler photos as a last resort or providing parking coords. Sometimes the name of the CO is already a turnoff for descriptions ;-)

Thore

As plenty of others have said, I usually read descriptions unless they're long/rambling/obnoxious.

Random observation - I just grabbed a cache the other day that, after I left GZ, I noticed the description had changed just the previous day and the cache was now part or a series on a road I travel down a couple of times a year. I needed to record a number off the inside of the cache to help find the final. Of course, I didn't do that. D'oh! But that's totally on me. Maybe if I knew better I'd check for hidden numbers inside each cache container...but realistically probably not. On the other hand, I don't blitz through caches and generally remember each one. So if I really want to do this series, I'll remember exactly where this cache was and have no trouble finding it again.

An observation from the other direction - I've been timid to place my own caches because I don't know enough about the history of a site or area to write as nicely detailed descriptions as other cachers have done. I want to place good quality caches, and sometimes that involves including a bit of history as to why I chose a particular area if it's not immediately obvious. Actually, it's kind of a relief to know that many cachers don't read descriptions, so perhaps I don't have to worry about that as much. Just make the destination interesting and the hide non-crap, and it shouldn't matter too much what the write-up actually is.

I came from a community where long descriptions and long logs are common. So, one of the first questions I asked myself was "do they actually read my texts here?" I quickly discovered that it's impossible to find answers in logs. Some people are happy to walk in a park and read its description but they fail to write anything about it. Just "TFTC, nice hide". Besides, in my country many people don't talk English and this is the reason for them to write short logs. As for foreigners, it became obvious that many people come only for numbers, they are always hurrying to some other hide, and there appeared another, much bigger problem: they often pay less attention to muggles and therefore caches were often lost after their visits. I witnessed this behaviour several times while accompanying tourists in Moscow. So, texts became less important than the necessity of repairing caches.

On the other hand, I've organized short guided tours for geocachers in my city and noticed that many people were happy to know more about this or that place. Moreover, sometimes visitors write impressive logs like "it was very interesting to read about the history of the building, thanks for the story". So, I didn't changed my practice of writing descriptions, I just made them a bit shorter and sometimes provide more hyperlinks. I still translate every text of mine (except puzzle caches that heavily depend on the language) in English for those who don't read Russian.

As a cache seeker, I first tried reading every description at home but it happened to be not the best idea: when I started my stroll in an unknown city there were so many impressions that details were mixed alltogether. Another option was to read a description once I'm at GZ but it proved to be no good too: when I was guided only by an icon on a map I sometimes found myself in a dull place, nothing interesting around (or probably this place was of particular interest for some category of people, not me). I ended with looking through descriptions before going somewhere and then reading them one by one when I find geocaches.

Now I try to write at least a phrase or two in every log about the place and/or the cache (mostly about the place) so that the owner feels that his work wasn't fruitless.

There's a local cache theme about Lincoln and his time as a surveyor. The cache description has this:

"From the point of beginning, (the above listed coordinates)go thence West a distance of 6 rods and 14 links to an iron box. Thence North 90* a distance of 5 links to the cache."

It's constantly getting DNFs, Needs Maintenance, or Needs Archived claiming the cache is not at the listed coords. Or if they look around and happen to find it then they write the given coords are way off. Of course they're way off. They're off by 6 rods and 14 links west and 5 links north.

There have been a few who couldn't find the cache so they threw down pill bottles as 'replacements' then claimed a find. That put 2 containers at the location.

All they have to do is read. If they don't know the solution to the clue there's this thing called the internet with all kinds of available help.

I usually read the cache description as sometimes there is interesting information there and some of it helpful in locating the cache (but seldom the logs beyond a quick scan for DNFs and NAs). That's done sitting at home on the computer and will print it out. Of late I have started using my phone and c:geo when we are out wandering and the notion takes us to look for something close. I very seldom try reading the description and just start looking for GZ using the coordinates. Too much effort for old eyes and fat fingers to deal with that little screen. Not having a lot of success with the smart phone either. And I've found that GZ is sometimes quite different between the ETrex 20 and the phone.

There's a local cache theme about Lincoln and his time as a surveyor. The cache description has this:

"From the point of beginning, (the above listed coordinates)go thence West a distance of 6 rods and 14 links to an iron box. Thence North 90* a distance of 5 links to the cache."

It's constantly getting DNFs, Needs Maintenance, or Needs Archived claiming the cache is not at the listed coords.

If that cache is listed as a Traditional then the complaints are justified. A Traditional cache should be at the listed coordinates.

I don't know what cache it is, but I saw a discussion about it from 2004, so it might be a pre-2002 cache, when the "mystery" cache type was not available.

Any current cache that has such a description and is labeled a Traditional should not be published.

Edited by fizzymagic

If we are caching the day for numbers driving fast to cache to cache and already have the caches loaded into or gps then no most of the descriptions are not read. If we incounter a earth cache or a virtual or high difficulty rating then the discriptions are read.

I once spent 20 minutes looking for a geocache that turned out to be the beginning of a Wherigo that I downloaded by accident while running a PQ. :anicute: