Car GPS for street navigation while Geocaching

mrjwoody

Please help! Having a hard time finding a Car GPS with Geocaching software. Why do I need this? Here is how we do it and it is a long winded process and could be so much easier.

During the planing process of our Caching Weekend we do the normal process of running a pocket query of the area we are going to and the path there and back so we can cache in a circle ending back where we started. We then transfer that to my GPSMAP62s and to a NUVI. Having the Geocaches on the NUVI is super helpful with turn by turn directions in new areas. I also enjoy seeing the treasure boxes on the map showing that we are getting close.

Entering pocket query info into both devices is the same, just plug in and send. This is where the Hand Held software starts to run away from the NUVI. Hand held software lets you mark a Geocache as found and find next closest and opens the treasure chest making it easy to know the caches found. My NUVI does not. I can also delete off of my hand held when finished. In order to do this on my NUVI I have to delete from GPS folder on the computer and then reset back to factory settings at the next start up or they all come back.

Long story short, is there a car GPS that has Geocaching software? Are you able to download this software for current GPS from Garmin? Does anyone else use a car gps to assist them in long week/weekend Geocaching trips? Is there a Garmin car GPS that allows deleting of geocaches/waypoints easily?

And yes I know Car GPS systems are not designed for geocaching but it works great to get close and then switch to my hand held.

Thanks for reading! MrJWoody

I load a few choice caches on my Nuvi, basically as waypoints for parking. I load all the caches on my Oregon, on which I also loaded street routable maps. But my plan is usually, go find the general area with the Nuvi, narrow down caches with the Oregon. Yeah, it would be great if the Nuvi did more.

There were some Garmin model Nuvi GPSrs that had extra features specifically for Geocaching. I don't think that kind is made anymore.

But there are Garmin handheld GPSrs with specialized car mounts (powered by the mount), and loud and clear voice directions. I know someone with the Garmin Montana, and I got to hear and see how it works. It unlocks from the car mount, and becomes a handheld unit. It's pretty cool!

Edited by kunarion

I use a Nuvi for navigation to parking, that's all. But then I don't do hardly any PNG or urban caching. So for my use, I send the whole PQ to the 64s and then just selectively send the parking waypoints to the Nuvi from Basecamp. If you send your PQ to the Nuvi as Favorites instead of as POI, you can delete them one at a time.

I don't think you will find any of the Nuvi line that has full geocaching support. But there ARE some of the handheld GPS units that have a 'Nuvi mode'. When loaded with a routable map, they will route you just like a Nuvi. Both my previous eTrex 30 and my current 64s will navigate me with turn by turn directions to a cache or waypoint when I have a routeable street map selected. I don't get spoken directions, just a 'ding' when a turn is coming up. And the display looks a lot like the Nuvi display. But other handheld models that actually advertise a Nuvi mode will have spoken directions, just like a Nuvi. The Montana 680 models look just like a Nuvi when loaded with the CNNT map. See the screenshot halfway down the page: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/hiking/montana-680t/prod523677.html

I use a Nuvi 2595LMT for navigating to the general area, then use my Oregon 600 to find the cache.

I use a GSAK macro (Nuvi GPX V2) to convert the cache and parking coordinates to POIs and load them on an external microSD card.

Same here. Ours is a 2597.

We don't do P&G but go for multi's or other stuff that takes a longer time in the same area especially in summer when we take our bikes, park at a central spot and make a tour with the Oregon600. In winter we do smaller tours on foot or do several shorter walks from a couple of parking spots.

Workflow:

Mo-Tu-We: get PQs to keep GSAK database up2date

Fr: Get caches published in last 7 days

Fr: Make a selection of caches + "refresh" via API in GSAK. Grab images not yet in database. Use Garminexport macro to put caches (GGZ file) onto Oregon600 + SendImagesToGarmin macro to put images onto GPS. Using Nuvi_GPX_v2 macro, put caches onto Nuvi 2597 as POI using caches + P-coordinates.

Sa and/or Su: Go caching B)

I use an Oregon 600, and have routable street maps installed for driving directions to caches. I have two geocaching profiles - the "normal" one in which the routable map is not displayed and routing is set to direct, and a "driving" one, in which the routable map is displayed and when routing, the dashboard switches to Nuvi mode. With a click of the user button, I can switch from the driving profile to the normal geocaching profile.

As long as your GPS supports profiles (as most of the modern Garmins do), you can arrange a similar set-up. It's easier than managing geocache waypoints on a Nuvi and you only have to manage your caches on one device.

As long as your GPS supports profiles (as most of the modern Garmins do), you can arrange a similar set-up. It's easier than managing geocache waypoints on a Nuvi and you only have to manage your caches on one device.

The big thing I like about using the Nuvi loaded with the Nuvi GPX V2 macro, is that I get an audible warning 250 meters from a cache.

Now that I have an Oregon 600, I also sometimes just use it in Nuvi mode. I like your idea of having a user shortcut button to do a quick switch; I need to look at doing that for mine.