Anything we can do to retain color in our online logs?

RedhedMary

I am wondering if there is anything that can be done to retain the color in online logs. Y'know, in the old coding, you could enter in [red] and your entire log would turn red. I've been writing red logs almost since I started geocaching, and the change to the new coding has changed them all back to good old boring black... One of the things I am known for in geocaching circles, well at least locally, is that all my logs were in red. Now, not only do all my logs start out bracket-red-bracket, I get a message every time I open one that I should get rid of the old coding. Does anybody at Groundspeak realize how long it would take to change almost 7000 logs? :blink:

I know overall the switch to the new coding was a positive one, I just wish that the ability to change color would have been retained.

Edited by redhedmary

Can't say I'm a fan of formatted logs. My GPS shows the first few logs as part of the cache file, but any log that isn't plain text just reads as gobbledygook, which wouldn't matter except I go to the logs in the field sometimes when I get stuck.

Of course, just having [red] in there wouldn't be a big deal, but some people go to town with their formatting. I hate to have one of the few log files available to me "wasted" with something that's hard to read when I'm looking for help.

Can't say I'm a fan of formatted logs. My GPS shows the first few logs as part of the cache file, but any log that isn't plain text just reads as gobbledygook, which wouldn't matter except I go to the logs in the field sometimes when I get stuck.

Of course, just having [red] in there wouldn't be a big deal, but some people go to town with their formatting. I hate to have one of the few log files available to me "wasted" with something that's hard to read when I'm looking for help.

Oh yeah, I've seen some logs that were just brutal to decipher because of someone's cutesy formatting.

I get that many people were never fans of colored, cutesy logs. I very seldom did anything but all the words in red with an occasional emoticon thrown in there. I'm looking for any possible solution to being able to log in red again...

And I do see where the Header 3 turns the log to green....now if my name was GreenhedMary, that would work. Right now everything is only in black, does that make me BlackhedMary? :laughing:

I know there are a lot of Reviewer Notes that are now a mess because of the formatting change.

B.

The old ones, sure. But we had advance notice and spent our January updating reviewer form letter templates to remove colors (just to stay on topic), to fix hyperlinks to the listing guidelines, land manager policies, the Help Center, etc., and to make other changes in order to be markdown compliant.

My new reviewer notes are greatly simplified and look fabulous on the cache listing page. In email, not so much so.

To answer the OP squarely, there is no hidden markdown command that magically restores red or other color choices. The green header, mentioned above, is the only color option I'm aware of.

You're quite welcome, redhedmary. I used green a lot in my logs, consistent with my player account name, but not nearly as prominently and consistently as your completely red logs. I will still enjoy reading them regardless of their color. I am signed right underneath you in a whole bunch of logbooks across Northwest Ohio. You have good taste in caches!

Cezanne, I was known for my red logs, so I really wanted them to show red to everyone so the script you mentioned probably won't work out.

Well that confirms what I had conjectured and why I waited with searching for the script. A local cacher used to write his cacher name in red and he always signs with a red pen. While I have not used colors myself, I do not understand at all that they decided to take them away with any comvincing reason. Now a large number of cachers use the H3 for producing green signatures or green texts to have some color at all and the result looks much uglier than the old logs have looked like.