What would you do?

First off, there's already been discussion in these forums about claiming a find on a challenge cache. Some folks believe you should be able to log it as found and then post that you qualify later, some see it differently. Either way, that discussion has been had and doesn't need to be recreated here. The fact remains that under the current guidelines, cachers cannot claim challenge caches as found unless they qualify for the attached challenge and can prove their qualification, regardless of the fact that they technically already found the cache.

Okay.... With that being said, here's my "what would you do" situation.

I own 11 challenge caches on the western coast of Jersey. Recently, one of the neighboring States more prolific cachers whom I have no problems with (and don't want any) and have had nothing but pleasant contact with in the past, came through the area and found every one of my challenge caches. I have no problem with that, I want them to get found.

The issue is that this cacher logged every one of them as "found". They posted qualifications for only one challenge and most obviously does not qualify for at least two of the others. I've sent multiple messages stating kindly that if they cannot provide their qualifications within the next couple of weeks than to please change the finds to notes. I was met with no opposition and the cacher in question continues to state that they "haven't had time".

Well, it's been two and a half weeks now and I'm at a crossroads with how to proceed. I understand the "I don't have time" notion, as sometimes it will be weeks before I get around to logging my finds. But how long do you wait to send/post information for a challenge or earthcache/virtual for that matter? As far as I see it, if you have time to log all of your +1s, then you have time to send the required information along with your find. Right or wrong?

Anyway, what would you do? Do you send yet another friendly reminder and give another deadline? Do you send a note letting the cacher know you'll be deleting their finds? Or do you just delete the finds and deal with whatever happens thereafter? I've deleted logs before where cachers didn't send info and they either send the information and re post, or let the +1 go. I have not yet had to deal with this specific situation yet though where I'm quite familiar with and know the cacher in question.

I know some of you will do some digging, look at my caches and find out who the cacher in question is. That's okay, but please don't put any names or anything on here. I'm not trying to put them on blast, I'm just looking for some opinions.

Edited by Traditional Bill

The same thing I do with my WebCam cache. If a cacher does not meet the requirements, I send an e-mail stating that the cacher has not met the requirements. The cacher may change the Found It to a Note, can submit proof that the requirements were met, or delete the Found It log. I allow the cacher a week to correct the problem. If it has not been corrected within a week, I delete the erroneous Found It log. I don't care who the cacher is. There are requirements that must be met.

Keeping in mind I have less than 300 finds and am not really a "veteran"...

I'd send a nice note, "I hate to do this, but I'm deleting your find. When you have time to send the qualifications, please log the cache then. Your original log date was xx/yy/2014, in case you need that information again. Thanks for understanding!"

Life is too short for you to keep track of who has and who hasn't qualified, and to keep hounding them. The onus should be on the finder.

I own some challenges. Last year, GeoWoodstock was in held in the area and a number of Found it! logs, sans any verification were posted.

I've also had Found it! logs from clueless novices.

Step one for me is wait a while - 3 - 6 months. This supposes a willingness to both to be patient and to be able to keep track of what's happening for that period. Eventually, send a pleasant email asking for verification. Wait another month, no verification = delete logs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit to add this off topic comment ....I went looking at your hides, and decided I didn't care to identify anybody, but I did notice this on the listing, "The "OYR" Wanna Be series was created in 2007 by GeoGrandpa from Maryland."

I don't know for certain who created OYR wanna be but it wasn't GeoGrandpa from Maryland.

The first one of these I ever saw was by SneakySnakes, 2005, Florida, GCRDJK. He might have copied someone else or it could be his. Given the date, and that the OYR series started in Florida (overrover) I speculate that SneakySnakes OYR Wanna Be #1 was the first.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Go ahead and delete the log. If you're going to delete the log do it sooner rather than later so it's fresh in the finder's memory.

At some point in my caching history (no details provided because I don't want people digging) an owner of a particular cache deleted my log because I hadn't emailed the required information. Which was true, I'd forgotten. But the deletion came something like 15 months after the log, which meant it was unlikely I'd still have the notes from that particular caching trip. As it turned out I had a photo the CO accepted as proof I'd found it. Had the CO deleted my log after a couple of weeks the chances are I'd still have the notes from the trip and could have provided the information there and then.

Log deletion should not be anything to agonize about, as it can always be reposted after they qualify. This is one reason that I think "find" should be separate from "qualify" on these. You can always let the log stand, but eventually others will catch on and do the same thing, and then it won't be a challenge anymore.

I would just tell them you are deleting their log for now and they are welcome to re-log a Find when they have time to provide their qualifications. In the future, I would just give them 1 week - 1 email. Seriously you don't have time to babysit these people. If they didn't have time, they should have just posted a note and changed to a Found later when they were able to do the paperwork.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Go ahead and delete the log. If you're going to delete the log do it sooner rather than later so it's fresh in the finder's memory.

At some point in my caching history (no details provided because I don't want people digging) an owner of a particular cache deleted my log because I hadn't emailed the required information. Which was true, I'd forgotten. But the deletion came something like 15 months after the log, which meant it was unlikely I'd still have the notes from that particular caching trip. As it turned out I had a photo the CO accepted as proof I'd found it. Had the CO deleted my log after a couple of weeks the chances are I'd still have the notes from the trip and could have provided the information there and then.

For sure, deal with this sooner than later. The cache and the "found it" log are more fresh in everyone's minds and the whole situation is easier to straightened out.

Another thing, waiting too long can affect a cacher's milestones down the road. One of my found it logs was deleted last year when the CO decided to perform log maintenance on his cache. He had placed a thumbdrive in the cache which he required to be signed. Unbeknownst to several cachers, including myself, someone decided to stick a paper logsheet inside the cache which i signed in good faith. It would have been ok if the CO would have gotten with us in a time;y manner but he didn't do the maintenance until over a year and a few milestones later. His deletion of my log resulted in a shift of my milestones by one. They were important to me because i have done a challenge cache or two that dealt with milestones.

It took me a while to make the decision to place my first challenge cache. I knew that mistakes in logging would be made and that goofballs would purposely log falsely, so i wanted to make sure i was up to the task of dealing with those situations if they ever arose.

I really appreciate all of the advice coming from everybody. It seems most of us share the same opinion on this. Has anyone had to delete logs from somebody they actually knew? Did it create any problems?

I want to preserve the integrity of my challenge logs more than anything, but I also want to avoid local conflict. I suppose I may not be able to do both however I am leaning closer to deleting the logs after reading some responses.

Edit to add this off topic comment ....I went looking at your hides, and decided I didn't care to identify anybody, but I did notice this on the listing, "The "OYR" Wanna Be series was created in 2007 by GeoGrandpa from Maryland."

I don't know for certain who created OYR wanna be but it wasn't GeoGrandpa from Maryland.

The first one of these I ever saw was by SneakySnakes, 2005, Florida, GCRDJK. He might have copied someone else or it could be his. Given the date, and that the OYR series started in Florida (overrover) I speculate that SneakySnakes OYR Wanna Be #1 was the first.

I really had no idea. I thought for sure that the wannabe series started in Md. Thank you for bringing it to my attention though, I'll certainly look into it so my cache descriptions are accurate.

I really appreciate all of the advice coming from everybody. It seems most of us share the same opinion on this. Has anyone had to delete logs from somebody they actually knew? Did it create any problems?

I want to preserve the integrity of my challenge logs more than anything, but I also want to avoid local conflict. I suppose I may not be able to do both however I am leaning closer to deleting the logs after reading some responses.

It's easy to worry about this vague concept of "avoiding conflict" but really what conflict is there to avoid? Your challenge says you have to qualify in a certain way, someone logged it without qualifying, therefore their log needs to be deleted. End of. If they take offence it's their problem rather than your problem. Would we be having this discussion if someone had claimed a find on a 5/5 cache based on the fact they had walked past the general area and figured that was close enough?

On a related note, if next door's children kicked a ball through your window would you worry about avoiding conflict, or would you expect either they (or more likely their parents) replaced the broken window?

It's easy to worry about this vague concept of "avoiding conflict" but really what conflict is there to avoid? Your challenge says you have to qualify in a certain way, someone logged it without qualifying, therefore their log needs to be deleted. End of. If they take offence it's their problem rather than your problem. Would we be having this discussion if someone had claimed a find on a 5/5 cache based on the fact they had walked past the general area and figured that was close enough?

On a related note, if next door's children kicked a ball through your window would you worry about avoiding conflict, or would you expect either they (or more likely their parents) replaced the broken window?

Quite well put. I think I've made the decision to just delete the logs and be done with it. I just have a feeling that it's going to cause some drama that I don't want to deal with, but I agree that the right thing to do is to just purge the logs. I plan to delete them today so I'll let everybody know how that goes.

If they really don't have any time then i dont see why they should mind. I don't know how editing a dozen logs could take that much time, but perhaps they are just hoping that you forget about it. One reason why ALRs were discontinued was because of constant conflict, but I don't know why this should cause any, as the challenge is clear. It's not like you are asking them to post a picture wearing a funny hat or something.

I've had to delete a couple of Earthcaching logs because they didn't send me their responses. One just went away forever, the other one sent me their responses with apologies and re-logged.

I've had this situation as well and it's normally not a problem. What makes this particular situation unique is that I know this cacher personally and there's currently no bad blood between us.

I don't really buy the "I haven't had time" argument. If they knew they qualified to log it as "found", that means they should have already done the work to confirm they qualified. I would have immediately deleted the log and let them know they can log it "found" when they have the appropriate data to back it up...or otherwise just post a note about finding the container. It's not up to you to give them time, it's up to THEM to make the time and log it according to whatever requirements you set.

Edited by J Grouchy

If they really don't have any time then i dont see why they should mind. I don't know how editing a dozen logs could take that much time, but perhaps they are just hoping that you forget about it. One reason why ALRs were discontinued was because of constant conflict, but I don't know why this should cause any, as the challenge is clear. It's not like you are asking them to post a picture wearing a funny hat or something.

I honestly believe the "I don't have time" thing isn't the issue. I believe it's that they don't qualify and don't want to lose their +1s.

Now that you mention that though, I should tell them that in lieu of challenge requirements they should take a picture with a funny hat instead. :-D

I don't really buy the "I haven't had time" argument. If they knew they qualified to log it as "found", that means they should have already done the work to confirm they qualified. I would have immediately deleted the log and let them know they can log it "found" when they have the appropriate data to back it up...or otherwise just post a note about finding the container. It's not up to you to give them time, it's up to THEM to make the time and log it according to whatever requirements you set.

I share your sentiments exactly and if it was a cacher that I've never met and didn't know, those logs would've been gone immediately. I gave this cacher the benefit of the doubt because I know them and now I'm regretting it.

I share your sentiments exactly and if it was a cacher that I've never met and didn't know, those logs would've been gone immediately. I gave this cacher the benefit of the doubt because I know them and now I'm regretting it.

Well...the problem is that people start taking this stuff personally. No matter what folks think about challenges, they are what they are and if the person doesn't meet the requirements of the challenge (or they do but cannot provide evidence), they shouldn't be logging them "found". Two and a half weeks is plenty. You can give them a full 30 days, but I suspect this person won't bother doing the work until they are forced to (i.e., deleted logs). If something like that actually makes them angry, they probably are taking it all a bit too seriously and perhaps you are better off not worrying what someone like that thinks anyway.

Well...the problem is that people start taking this stuff personally. No matter what folks think about challenges, they are what they are and if the person doesn't meet the requirements of the challenge (or they do but cannot provide evidence), they shouldn't be logging them "found". Two and a half weeks is plenty. You can give them a full 30 days, but I suspect this person won't bother doing the work until they are forced to (i.e., deleted logs). If something like that actually makes them angry, they probably are taking it all a bit too seriously and perhaps you are better off not worrying what someone like that thinks anyway.

Yeah, from what I'm told, this is a cacher that takes their +1s pretty seriously (although not seriously enough,Hm?). I've discussed the issue with a few local cachers who are more familiar with this person than I am. They seem to think I should just let it go.

As I said in an earlier response on here though, I'll most definitely be deleting those logs later today when I "find time"(LOL) to do it. I'm interested to see what the backlash will be.

So, the cacher in question was quick to re log their smilies after I deleted them, but this time with qualifications. If anybody is following along and has read the find logs on my challenges, you'll see something very strange now.

The cacher in question used qualifications from other cachers logs and faked it. So they'll be getting deleted yet again. Here's the email I sent to them -

Hey [name redacted], thank you for posting challenge qualifications. Here's the problem - you don't qualify for a few of these. You know it. I know it. Other cachers have emailed me and they know it.

You posted somebody else's qualification for nj favorites and if you've even been to any of the out of state wherigos on your 8x8 list, you need to log THEM before logging the challenge as stated in the challenge rules.

Do you really need these smilies that bad that you have to fake them? This is disappointing as I didn't know this was your style. I guess i thought you had more "caching integrity".

Fix your qualifications/logs for the challenges you do and don't qualify for, please. If you REALLY NEED the smilies and +1s THAT bad, then do the challenges.These challenges mean a lot to me so please, do it right or don't do it at all. Thanks [name redacted].

-Bill [/Quote]

So, the cacher in question was quick to re log their smilies after I deleted them, but this time with qualifications. If anybody is following along and has read the find logs on my challenges, you'll see something very strange now.

The cacher in question used qualifications from other cachers logs and faked it. So they'll be getting deleted yet again. Here's the email I sent to them -

Hey [name redacted], thank you for posting challenge qualifications. Here's the problem - you don't qualify for a few of these. You know it. I know it. Other cachers have emailed me and they know it.

You posted somebody else's qualification for nj favorites and if you've even been to any of the out of state wherigos on your 8x8 list, you need to log THEM before logging the challenge as stated in the challenge rules.

Do you really need these smilies that bad that you have to fake them? This is disappointing as I didn't know this was your style. I guess i thought you had more "caching integrity".

Fix your qualifications/logs for the challenges you do and don't qualify for, please. If you REALLY NEED the smilies and +1s THAT bad, then do the challenges.These challenges mean a lot to me so please, do it right or don't do it at all. Thanks [name redacted].

-Bill [/Quote]

I would start you book now showing your right in deleting the log. If this persistent person brings it to the attention of the log god at GC.com and you don't have your ducks in a row your liable to get a site wide ban, your email invalidated and all your caches disabled. And then after your ban ends your faced with cleaning up the mess and a locked log you can't delete.

-Bill [/Quote]

Hmmm...they didn't even TRY. One of those caches they claim for a challenge is a Wherigo a few miles from my house...and they never logged it on the date they claim (which was obviously copy/pasted from the log just below their own). This sort of behavior kind of call into question ALL of their claimed "finds".

http://i.imgur.com/ej46E52.png

Edited by J Grouchy

-Bill [/Quote]

I would start you book now showing your right in deleting the log. If this persistent person brings it to the attention of the log god at GC.com and you don't have your ducks in a row your liable to get a site wide ban, your email invalidated and all your caches disabled. And then after your ban ends your faced with cleaning up the mess and a locked log you can't delete.

I have all of the back n' forth emails saved and it's quite obvious that this cacher doesn't qualify for these. This email I got back from them should do just fine -

There in lies the difference between you and i.

I do it for the puzzle solving.

NOT silly challenges.

I could care less about "so called" pseudo puzzles that ppl call challenges.[/Quote]

To which I say.... WHY LOG THEM AND SEEK THEM IF THEY'RE THAT SILLY?!

I swear you guys, geocachers can be utterly ridiculous sometimes.

-Bill [/Quote]

Hmmm...they didn't even TRY. One of those caches they claim for a challenge is a Wherigo a few miles from my house...and they never logged it on the date they claim (which was obviously copy/pasted from the log just below their own). This sort of behavior kind of call into question ALL of their claimed "finds".

http://i.imgur.com/ej46E52.png

From what I've recently been told, evidently this cacher does this frequently, so I guess I should stop being surprised.

Gotta love the appeal of the ever ominous +1.

At this point, I would stop communicating with the cacher and report them to Groundspeak if they try to log again. Don't waste your time further, and don't risk getting yourself in trouble with an exchange of inflammatory emails.

Makes sense, either avoid any further emails or just say "nothing more to say, if you log again without completing the challenge I'll delete it again".

At this point, I would stop communicating with the cacher and report them to Groundspeak if they try to log again. Don't waste your time further, and don't risk getting yourself in trouble with an exchange of inflammatory emails.

Makes sense, either avoid any further emails or just say "nothing more to say, if you log again without completing the challenge I'll delete it again".

I think my best course of action right now is just to delete the logs again and report it if he "re logs" them.... and then hope for the best.

I would not delete anything for any reason a second time. Just send the info to GS and have them deal with it. You'll get into a logging/delete fest that benefits nobody. If the challenges are silly, then they should not be so concerned about getting credit for them.

Too late, I got a bit hasty and deleted the three obviously phony ones again. I'm just hoping that they don't log them again and that can be the end of it. I have everything saved just in case I need to report it.

I agree with you though, 4wf. If they're so silly then why bother posting a phony find and causing trouble? Doesn't make any sense to me.

If they're so silly then why bother posting a phony find and causing trouble? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Throwdowns...

Bogus logs...

Questionable power trail tactics...

Some people just have to get a smiley at all costs.

Whenever I see a high-numbers cacher, I can't help but think "How many of those are legitimate?" I've just seen too many examples of ones that are using unethical methods to increase their find counts.

One of my found it logs was deleted last year when the CO decided to perform log maintenance on his cache. He had placed a thumbdrive in the cache which he required to be signed. Unbeknownst to several cachers, including myself, someone decided to stick a paper logsheet inside the cache which i signed in good faith. It would have been ok if the CO would have gotten with us in a time;y manner but he didn't do the maintenance until over a year and a few milestones later. His deletion of my log resulted in a shift of my milestones by one. They were important to me because i have done a challenge cache or two that dealt with milestones.

I'm pretty sure a USB stick is not allowed as a logbook, so that CO had no right to require it be "signed". You'd be entirely within your rights to appeal to Groundspeak and have your log restored.

I would not delete anything for any reason a second time. Just send the info to GS and have them deal with it. You'll get into a logging/delete fest that benefits nobody. If the challenges are silly, then they should not be so concerned about getting credit for them.

Too late, I got a bit hasty and deleted the three obviously phony ones again. I'm just hoping that they don't log them again and that can be the end of it. I have everything saved just in case I need to report it.

I agree with you though, 4wf. If they're so silly then why bother posting a phony find and causing trouble? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Log deletions have been rare for me, but I did have a persistant guy once (Earthcache) who after having his log deleted, and being told why, logged a 2nd time. That was deleted, and he was told via email that any further logs posted would be reported to Groundspeak, and he had zero chance of them siding with him. He gave up after that. Of course I didn't like the way the whole thing went down, but I had to do what I had to do. I don't know, I guess I think telling them that any further logs posted would be reported, and he had no chance of them siding with him was effective? :blink:

I'm pretty sure a USB stick is not allowed as a logbook, so that CO had no right to require it be "signed". You'd be entirely within your rights to appeal to Groundspeak and have your log restored.

Yeah, a USB stick is a pretty big no-no. It's very clearly stated in the guidelines:

"In the interest of file security, caches that require the installing or running of data and/or executables will likely not be published. The use of memory sticks and similar devices is not permitted."

Log deletions have been rare for me, but I did have a persistant guy once (Earthcache) who after having his log deleted, and being told why, logged a 2nd time. That was deleted, and he was told via email that any further logs posted would be reported to Groundspeak, and he had zero chance of them siding with him. He gave up after that. Of course I didn't like the way the whole thing went down, but I had to do what I had to do. I don't know, I guess I think telling them that any further logs posted would be reported, and he had no chance of them siding with him was effective? :blink:

I didn't threaten to report further logs in my last email, but it seems they finally get that I'm not just joking with them. I most certainly won't hesitate to forward my mountain of evidence to TPTB should they try to post another erroneous find, though.

The same thing I do with my WebCam cache. If a cacher does not meet the requirements, I send an e-mail stating that the cacher has not met the requirements... I don't care who the cacher is. There are requirements that must be met.

+1 on this. I also have a webcam cache (the last in my state). Any cache that has requirements (webcam, virtual, challenge, etc) should only be able to be logged once the cacher has met those requirements. If someone does not meet my webcam logging requirements, they get an email, and the log gets deleted.

The same thing I do with my WebCam cache. If a cacher does not meet the requirements, I send an e-mail stating that the cacher has not met the requirements... I don't care who the cacher is. There are requirements that must be met.

+1 on this. I also have a webcam cache (the last in my state). Any cache that has requirements (webcam, virtual, challenge, etc) should only be able to be logged once the cacher has met those requirements. If someone does not meet my webcam logging requirements, they get an email, and the log gets deleted.

It's good to see a couple of webcam CO's that delete the cachers logs that post "selfies" instead of the required webcam photos. I see that way too often.

It's good to see a couple of webcam CO's that delete the cachers logs that post "selfies" instead of the required webcam photos. I see that way too often.

Ditto,

We were in boise last year, drove up a mountain to do a webcam and no data, we were getting ready to leave and post a DNF but I had cell coverage so called my son and he took the webcam picture and texted it to me so when we got down the mountain I got the picture and we logged the cache. A bunch of logs after us are selfies even though the webcam was and still is working. I wish the CO was active and deleted them.

What's even sadder is some of the selfies are from people with 50k, 45k, 39k and 17k finds.

Edited by Roman!

If they're so silly then why bother posting a phony find and causing trouble? Doesn't make any sense to me.

It's a mystery to me. Perhaps there is something missing here, some insight to be gained somehow. Try viewing it from the other side.

Go into a restaurant and order a bite to eat. Not just any restaurant, you'll need to find one that you know you don't like, and order a meal that is your least favorite. Cheerfully eat it, but then when they present you with the bill, say that you don't have time right now to pay it and sit there and play on your iphone. Let several hours go by and even if they are busy, simply tell them that you don't have the time right now. At the end of the night just before they close, try to pay the bill with some counterfeit money. When they object to this, tell them it was your least favorite dish, and you dislike that type of food completely. :rolleyes:

It's a mystery to me. Perhaps there is something missing here, some insight to be gained somehow. Try viewing it from the other side.

Go into a restaurant and order a bite to eat. Not just any restaurant, you'll need to find one that you know you don't like, and order a meal that is your least favorite. Cheerfully eat it, but then when they present you with the bill, say that you don't have time right now to pay it and sit there and play on your iphone. Let several hours go by and even if they are busy, simply tell them that you don't have the time right now. At the end of the night just before they close, try to pay the bill with some counterfeit money. When they object to this, tell them it was your least favorite dish, and you dislike that type of food completely. :rolleyes:

[:D][:D][:D]

What a perfectly hilarious comparison to the situation at hand. It all makes sense to me now.