Creating a Geo Cache

seanandtara2013

Hi!

My wife and I recently created a new Geo Cache with a cache box we bought from geocaching.com. The cache's link is below. I've read that it can take up to 3 days for the cache to be approved but I'm going on day 5. Is this typical?

thanks!

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC55E15_no-dumping?guid=a2f38e38-dfd4-4e1b-916e-afc70397f33c

The rest of us can't see your unpublished cache.

I would give a little leeway to the volunteer reviewer during a long weekend.

Did you receive any emails from Groundspeak? Are there Reviewer Notes on your cache page?

You might want to read this Help Center article:

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.4. My geocache has not been reviewed

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=81

We understand that it can be a tense time waiting for your new geocache to be published. Keep in mind that reviewers are volunteers that do quite a bit of work for the geocaching community. If your geocache isn't reviewed right away, please be patient.

The Review Process

If you've successfully submitted a geocache for review, and have read the email from noreply@geocaching.com, you know that geocache listings are reviewed by community volunteer reviewers. Reviewers strive to begin the review within 7 days of enabling your listing. You may experience longer than normal waiting time in the week following a holiday, or after a large geocaching event. We ask for your patience. Please keep in mind that reviewers are volunteers and sometimes things come up in their lives that delay geocache review.

Communications from the Reviewer

Your geocache may be published as submitted, or the reviewer may have questions or concerns which they will post in a log to the geocache page (Reviewer Note). Please read and respond to those questions or concerns. Do this by posting a Reviewer Note on the cache page. All Reviewer notes will delete upon publication.

Possible Reasons for a Delay

If your enabled listing is not reviewed within seven days after receiving the "Geocache Report Submitted" email, please make sure your geocache listing has been submitted and enabled.

Submitted, unpublished geocaches can be seen on your profile page. If a geocache appears under "Your Unpublished Disabled Geocaches", you will need to go to the geocache page and enable the listing.

If the geocache does not appear on either list, there may have been an issue with the submission process, and you will want to submit the geocache listing again.

It is also possible that the geocache was reviewed, determined to be not publishable and archived by the reviewer. If this happens, you will receive an email alert.

For submitted, enabled geocaches that have been awaiting review for more than seven days, please contact the local reviewer through their profile page. Be sure to include the GC code in your message.

Note: It is a good idea to verify that you can receive from noreply@geocaching.com (sometimes this email is caught by your Spam filter; if so, you can update your Spam settings). To see what email address is associated with your account, visit Your Account Details, under Your Validated E-Mail Addresses http://www.geocaching.com/account/default.aspx. To see what email address is associated with your account, visit Your Account Details, under Your Validated E-Mail Addresses http://www.geocaching.com/account/default.aspx.

B.

I checked, and your cache is properly waiting in line for review. I am guessing that your reviewer may have enjoyed a Memorial Day weekend holiday away from cache reviewing duties. Thanks for your patience.

When your reviewer gets back to you, he or she will explain an issue under the "Cache Saturation" listing guideline. Did you use the preview map that's provided in the cache submission wizard?

Hi Keystone,

Are you a moderator with access to my cache? I'm just wondering since you mentioned "cache saturation guide" if that means I placed it too close. I measured 1/10 of a mile between me and the nearest cache. Just wondering if I should find a new location if you know something I'd very much appreciate it.

thanks.

Sean

Yes, he has those powers.

You may very well have placed it too close to a Multi-cache, which you won't know the (final) location until you find it.

....and, I believe the current review "target" date is seven (working) days. It used to be three, but has since been revised.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If you click on the "nearest geocaches" from your cache page, you will see you are only 488ft from another cache. The minimum distance is 0.10mi, or 528ft.

Okay, thank you for the heads up! I was measuring on the odometer on my car but the map is obviously the more accurate choice. I will re-hide the cache. Should I just delete this cache all together and start the whole process over?

If you click on the "nearest geocaches" from your cache page, you will see you are only 488ft from another cache. The minimum distance is 0.10mi, or 528ft.

Okay, thank you for the heads up! I was measuring on the odometer on my car but the map is obviously the more accurate choice. I will re-hide the cache. Should I just delete this cache all together and start the whole process over?

No... don't rely on a map, either. 'Tis why the guidelines specify

You must visit the cache location and obtain the coordinates with a GPS device. GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and seeking caches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions. Projecting waypoints from a specific location already defined by set of coordinates is permissible. For geocaches that include additional waypoints see the guidelines specific to those cache types.

(My underline and bolding)

------------

You cannot "delete" the cache. You can delete the info and use the same form, however. Not a problem.

In most cases reviewers will measure "as the crow flies." There are sometimes exceptions made to distance, but they are rare. If you want to move it, I would disable it so that your reviewer doesn't spend time looking at it. If it's disabled, it doesn't show up in the review queue. When you have moved it, simply edit the cache page with the new coordinates and new information and re-enable it so it pops back into the queue.

Keep the same page, and GC number.

You could use your GPS to check distance from nearest, you did use a handheld device to find coords right? Not google earth.

You may very well have placed it too close to a Multi-cache, which you won't know the (final) location until you find it.

....and, I believe the current review "target" date is seven (working) days. It used to be three, but has since been revised.

I have moved the cache another spot that I was going to create a new cache with once my geocaching.com package showed up this week with a new box. All should be in the clear! No nearby caches! Thanks for the help!

I have moved the cache another spot that I was going to create a new cache with once my geocaching.com package showed up this week with a new box. All should be in the clear! No nearby caches! Thanks for the help!

You moved it to a new location, but you are right next to a major highway and a bridge crossing it. Your reviewer may find this to be an issue. I won't be reviewing this cache but what is it about this area that makes special enough that you want to bring people here? Think about that and try to make your first hide something special. Something that will delight finders rather than being just another "+1 TFTC".

You moved it to a new location, but you are right next to a major highway and a bridge crossing it. Your reviewer may find this to be an issue. I won't be reviewing this cache but what is it about this area that makes special enough that you want to bring people here? Think about that and try to make your first hide something special. Something that will delight finders rather than being just another "+1 TFTC".

The spot is a prime location in Nashville. The band Kings of Leon lived in the house on the corner. Pretty cool spot for Nashville folks and out of towners.

Edited by seanandtara2013

The spot is a prime location in Nashville. The band Kings of Leon lived in the house on the corner. Pretty cool spot for Nashville folks and out of towners.

If that's what makes the location interesting then explain it in your cache description. What's the point of bringing someone to a noteworthy location and not letting them know what's noteworthy about it? Tell the story!

If that's what makes the location interesting then explain it in your cache description. What's the point of bringing someone to a noteworthy location and not letting them know what's noteworthy about it? Tell the story!

I just wanted to say thanks for giving us guidance on this. You're absolutely right. When I think about all the great caches I've found over the years (I had another account before I met my wife), the location is just as important as the find. Now that we're trying to hide our own caches, you're absolutely right and I will use this as a guiding principal from here on out. Thank you all for your help.

Some of the Mods on the forum are reviewers for other areas, and as such have access* to review listings...

If they comment here, on the forums, it doesn't mean you cache HAS been reviewed.

You'll just have to wait until the reviewer for your area has a chance to check your cache. :)

*It IS NOT a review, they will only mention anything OBVIOUS which might hold up your review.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

The move on my cache still hasn't been reviewed. Does it take another 7 days or is this one quicker?

Posting here has nothing to do with a cache being reviewed. Other Reviewers have replied here as a courtesy, to help you. Your local Reviewer will contact you, if necessary.

Did you read the information I quoted from the Help Center in post #2?

Have you received any emails from Groundspeak? Are there Reviewer Notes on your cache page? Have you enabled the cache submission?

You need to be watching your cache listing, and staying in contact with your local Reviewer. Posting here on the forums won't get your cache reviewed any faster, or be the same as being in contact with your local Reviewer.

B.

The move on my cache still hasn't been reviewed. Does it take another 7 days or is this one quicker?

It might. It all depends on how often your reviewer looks at the queue. Likely it will be at the top of the list of caches so it might get looked at before other caches submitted.

I'm checking every couple hours with bated breath. I can't wait to get my first cache published. It's going to be awesome.

It might. It all depends on how often your reviewer looks at the queue. Likely it will be at the top of the list of caches so it might get looked at before other caches submitted.

I'm checking every couple hours with bated breath. I can't wait to get my first cache published. It's going to be awesome.

If you think that is stressful, wait till you are waiting for the FTF log. :lol:

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

You guys didn't seriously log a find on your own cache, did you? :rolleyes:

I dropped a trackable in our cache. Logging it is the only way I know. I still have a very special surprise for the FTF find. It's a collectible coin that I got when I was a kid.

Revisits to a cache should be a "Note" log... or "Owner Maintenance" if that is what you are doing.

Some "Find" their own cache, but it is considered cheesy by most.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I dropped a trackable in our cache. Logging it is the only way I know. I still have a very special surprise for the FTF find. It's a collectible coin that I got when I was a kid.

You could just log a Note stating that you are dropping a trackable. Unless you just want to keep the smiley (some folks consider it tacky....I mean, how can you "find" it when you're the one who hid it? )

Plus, you said you can't wait for the FTF, and have a special surprise for them. That's great, but some of the FTF hounds that run out the minute a cache is published, might see that a find has already been logged (yours) and not go after it right away because the FTF has already been claimed....they might not notice that the FTF cacher is also the hider.

Edit to add: I see Gitchee beat me to it. 😗

Edited by Chief301

You could just log a Note stating that you are dropping a trackable. Unless you just want to keep the smiley (some folks consider it tacky....I mean, how can you "find" it when you're the one who hid it? )

Plus, you said you can't wait for the FTF, and have a special surprise for them. That's great, but some of the FTF hounds that run out the minute a cache is published, might see that a find has already been logged (yours) and not go after it right away because the FTF has already been claimed....they might not notice that the FTF cacher is also the hider.

Edit to add: I see Gitchee beat me to it. 😗

I know I know. Totally flubbed the FTF for someone now. I feel bad. But, we did place another cache on 12 South in Nashville. One of those magnetic bolts that I purchased from geocaching.com, what a great little cache idea by the way! It's on a bench and on the first day of being published it's already been found 3 times. The person that was FTF wrote "FTF FTF FTF" 3 times in the log, they were excited!

Revisits to a cache should be a "Note" log... or "Owner Maintenance" if that is what you are doing.

Some "Find" their own cache, but it is considered cheesy by most.

You can go back and Edit the log to a Note.

And. The log says "Found it!"

If you are logging a trackable (TB or coin) it's nice to say in the log "Dropping TB *name" or "Retrieving TB *name" so others can see where they go and who with...

Dont use the tracking number on the trackable, use the name, the TB number or a description.

Makes things easier if trackables go missing.

Just wanted to wrap up this thread with some insights for new cache hiders, having had 2 cache hides approved in the past 2 days.

1. You should find a great place to hide your cache. This can be an interesting place with regards to scenic view or something with historical relevance. Ask yourself, why am I bringing people to this location? What will they gain from it?

2. Trust that a Geocaching reviewer will get to your post within a week or so. They're volunteers so give them time to approve.

3. Do not place a cache within 1/10 of a mile of another cache. This will flag your cache hide into "over saturation" mode. You'll be rejected.

4. Do not create a log in advance of the FTF log on your cache, even if you're hiding a trackable or TB in your new cache. This robs any FTFers of their opportunity to be the "first to find."

5. Seek permits when hiding a cache in a Metro Park. If you are unclear about this, talk with your reviewer.

In retrospect, I wanted to thank you all for your kind words and guidance on helping us find our way with hiding caches. We've already had several people find 2 of our caches and it's highly rewarding when it happens.

4. Do not create a log in advance of the FTF log on your cache, even if you're hiding a trackable or TB in your new cache. This robs any FTFers of their opportunity to be the "first to find."

I'd change this to say "Do not create a Found It log on your own cache ever" (some exceptions may apply.)

There is no problem with creating a "Write Note" log to drop a trackable in your new cache--in fact you should log the TB if you have one in the cache so that the FTF can log it correctly if they retrieved it.

Just wanted to wrap up this thread with some insights for new cache hiders, having had 2 cache hides approved in the past 2 days.

1. You should find a great place to hide your cache. This can be an interesting place with regards to scenic view or something with historical relevance. Ask yourself, why am I bringing people to this location? What will they gain from it?

2. Trust that a Geocaching reviewer will get to your post within a week or so. They're volunteers so give them time to approve.

3. Do not place a cache within 1/10 of a mile of another cache. This will flag your cache hide into "over saturation" mode. You'll be rejected.

5. Seek permits when hiding a cache in a Metro Park. If you are unclear about this, talk with your reviewer.

In retrospect, I wanted to thank you all for your kind words and guidance on helping us find our way with hiding caches. We've already had several people find 2 of our caches and it's highly rewarding when it happens.

I've got an issue with number 5. My city has no such permits. Anyway you are supposed to- and by submitting the cache you say you did- ask for and receive permission for ANY cache. As for number three- you can but it won't get published. And you can't always avoid that- finals to puzzle caches, stages of multis for example.

Numbers 2, 3, and five would be known if you read all the guidelines and such- which you should do.

And I'd like to amend number one. If the reason you are placing a cache there is because it fits, then you shouldn't. If you think there's a good reason to place a cache there, then go for it.

Edited by T.D.M.22