Store bought container suggestions?

TheNightengales

Was hoping for some suggestions on what kind of store bought (eg: Walmart, Target, etc) containers have worked well for hiding caches? Ones that will not leak and will hold up well. Wanting something sized close to an old plastic school lunch box size. Brand names would be great too!

Thanks in advance!

(If this has been asked and answered can you please direct me to the thread? I tried searching with no luck.) :)

Lock and locks by starfrit. Pill containers might work depending on their quality. Honestly experienced geocachers will look at anything and wonder; how can I make that into a cache?

Or you could order online- there isn't a shortage of online geocaching stores.

for my starter cache I haven't put out yet I got a water tight cell phone box in sporting goods. I also got a much larger container that is water tight for my second cache that I plan to set out. they are fairly cheap and take paint or camo tape very easy. they are made in china, but what from Wal-Mart isn't?

for my starter cache I haven't put out yet I got a water tight cell phone box in sporting goods. I also got a much larger container that is water tight for my second cache that I plan to set out. they are fairly cheap and take paint or camo tape very easy. they are made in china, but what from Wal-Mart isn't?

The money, and some of the people? :laughing:

Actually your post reminds me-I tried a cellphone/electronic storage container. It was a small pelican case and it worked great until it went missing. Expensive-it cost me more than an ammo can, but it works.

You may want to consider this as a smaller alternative to the metal ammo can : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W3WC84

Usually priced between $7 and $8 on Amazon, it fluctuates. I haven't tried searching other sellers.

Material : polypropylene. Has a gasket to keep out moisture, but sides are a little flexible (definitely not crush proof). Made in USA by http://planomolding.com (if that is important to you).

41fbPv-TXSL._SX425_.jpg

Edited by Chrysalides

They sell these at walmart that have worked well for me.

00302.jpg

that is exactly what I have for my second cache. trying to think of a really awesome spot to put it. I like the ones that have room for trade items. I think it makes it more fun for people to be able to trade items. the log only caches have become boring and all to common around here.

You may want to consider this as a smaller alternative to the metal ammo can : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W3WC84

Usually priced between $7 and $8 on Amazon, it fluctuates. I haven't tried searching other sellers.

Material : polypropylene. Has a gasket to keep out moisture, but sides are a little flexible (definitely not crush proof). Made in USA by http://planomolding.com (if that is important to you).

41fbPv-TXSL._SX425_.jpg

I've found 4 of these. 2 were bone dry and 2 had wet contents. I expect to find more of these as the 4 I've found have been within the past year. I've found over 100 ammo cans and can count on one hand the number that had wet contents and two of them were because they weren't closed.

I would also suggest decon containers, but they're becoming harder and harder to find, at least for me. I've also found a few recently that have been wet inside, which usually isn't the case for these containers. Peanut butter jars do pretty well but for some reason the mayonnaise jar I had out let water in. Pelican and Otterbox are the two brand names but be prepared to pay more.

Edited by coachstahly

41fbPv-TXSL._SX425_.jpg

I've found 4 of these. 2 were bone dry and 2 had wet contents. I expect to find more of these as the 4 I've found have been within the past year. I've found over 100 ammo cans and can count on one hand the number that had wet contents and two of them were because they weren't closed.

Of the 3 I received in the mail, one of them didn't have the gasket installed correctly so the lid didn't seal properly, even though it appeared to have closed tight. There's definitely a higher chance of leaking, especially if someone stuffs something large in it. I'm also worried about how it would hold up outdoors. Polypropylene (according to Wikipedia) is prone to break down from UV and extreme temperature unless stabilizing agents are added to it.

IMG_0121.jpg

now here is the difference.

IMG_0122.jpg

you get a ftf badge, travel bug, compass, log book, pencil, and premium membership for a limited time when you by a official geocache kit. I got the Wal-Mart water tight container and made my own signature first to find tag for less. the difference is your not supporting the website when you go cheap.

Edited by gonzogunner
you get a ftf badge, travel bug, compass, log book, pencil, and premium membership for a limited time when you by a official geocache kit. I got the Wal-Mart water tight container and made my own signature first to find tag for less. the difference is your not supporting the website when you go cheap.

We use lock n locks and ammo cans for our larger hides. They're not cheap.

- We support the website with our yearly premium membership, not containers and trinkets...

We use lock n locks and ammo cans for our larger hides. They're not cheap.

- We support the website with our yearly premium membership, not containers and trinkets...

I don't know where your getting your ammo cans, but they are cheap around here. the catch is you have to oil up the gasket on them or they start leaking. I have 10 .556 ammo cans full of 124 grain 9mm hornady reloads. don't get me started on the .50bmg ammo cans full of .223 or .308 reloads I have on hand. I also use .50bmg cans to put canned hams and spam in. call me what you want, but we don't go hungry or unarmed around here.

i'm waiting on my upper in .50 bmg to come in. I sold my old arm-o-lite ar-50 single shot 8 years ago. been kicking myself in the butt every since then. I still have everything for reloading it. it takes a special press because it is so long. I kept the primers, 5000 bullets and 100 pounds of powder when I sold it just because you never know!!!

Edited by gonzogunner

IMG_0121.jpg

now here is the difference.

IMG_0122.jpg

I bought a bunch of Lock and Locks on sale, $10 for 10 containers or something like that.(that's the small one in your picture) SO while you may have payed $3-$5 for that walmart container, I paid $1 for mine(on sale)-although I have seen as high as $5 for a small, non camo'd LnL. After I paint it, and put in a logbook, I still probably paid less than you did for that walmart container....I support the website by buying an annual Premium Membership. That pays for the computers, servers, technicians and such to keep this website running, not only for myself but for those who don't ever buy a PM, or any trackables, or anything from shopgeocaching.

And I'd rather support Groundspeak, than walmart. I also choose to support smaller local businesses when I can, meaning I'll buy from Geowyrm(a cacher who runs a small store) if I can before I buy from any chain. Sure buying from big box may save you some money-but if that's your concern, why even buy a cache? But that's not for this discussion.

As you'll see, there are a bunch of container on this thread-non of which are specifically for geocaching. They just happen to be good containers so they are popular. And that means you can find a cache anywhere you look. Again>>> Honestly experienced geocachers will look at anything and wonder; how can I make that into a cache?

As for ammo cans? Unless we can get them off the base(and we are not technically allowed to) they will run up to $25. I remember seeing them for as low as $10 for a large 50 cal, or SAW can. $15 for an ammo can, or $10-$15 for a LnL with sticker, log, TB, and some SWAG? If you can get ammo can's cheap, I'm jealous.

Edited by T.D.M.22

I found a lock and lock yesterday that had been leaking. not all of them do leak but we have found several we have had to replace logs in. I don't really think there is such a thing as the perfect water proof container. some seem to last longer then others do. I ordered a medium container when I ordered my geocaching kit. somebody said it was a small one. who really knows.

Edited by gonzogunner

These work great. I have the 3440. It is quite slim and can be placed in small areas.

Those seem like they would seal nicely (for a while). But there are at least three latches on each one. The more complicated a box is to reassemble, the more often it won't get reassembled. I handed a walmart boat box (similar latches) to a neighbor, and he pulled with all his might on the hinge side of the latch, and I could easily imagine him next grabbing a pry bar <_<. Just because of that, I've never placed any of my boat boxes -- that, and the fact that I've never found one that isn't wet inside. But in theory, they should work pretty well.

If the OP could use a smaller size, look in the dollar stores for spill-proof coffee mugs. They have rubber gaskets and screw-on lids. I removed the tab that allows opening the drinking slot, and sealed that flap shut, and the cup is now like a big match tube. That's a pretty decent container for a dollar. I'd make extras, in case the gasket wears out.

3964c44a-0f61-4311-94fe-36c186a4a094.jpg

Edited by kunarion

I would also suggest decon containers, but they're becoming harder and harder to find, at least for me. I've also found a few recently that have been wet inside, which usually isn't the case for these containers.

I've found decon containers to be terrible containers. At one time I had close to 50 caches hidden in decon containers and they were such a maintenance nightmare that I eventually switched most of them out. I think I have two left in the wild and both are well protected from the elements.

As far as Lock n Locks, unfortunately Wal-Mart stopped carrying them a few years ago and substituted the inferior Rubbermaid and Sterlite locking containers. I get them online in 20 piece sets. The multi piece set sometimes appears on Woot.com for a very good price and when they do I order a few sets.

These work great. I have the 3440. It is quite slim and can be placed in small areas.

Those seem like they would seal nicely (for a while). But there are at least three latches on each one. The more complicated a box is to reassemble, the more often it won't get reassembled. I handed a walmart boat box (similar latches) to a neighbor, and he pulled with all his might on the hinge side of the latch, and I could easily imagine him next grabbing a pry bar <_<. Just because of that, I've never placed any of my boat boxes -- that, and the fact that I've never found one that isn't wet inside. But in theory, they should work pretty well.

If the OP could use a smaller size, look in the dollar stores for spill-proof coffee mugs. They have rubber gaskets and screw-on lids. I removed the tab that allows opening the drinking slot, and sealed that flap shut, and the cup is now like a big match tube. That's a pretty decent container for a dollar. I'd make extras, in case the gasket wears out.

3964c44a-0f61-4311-94fe-36c186a4a094.jpg

that mug is awesome!! I love the way it looks. eyes and all!!

I've found decon containers to be terrible containers. At one time I had close to 50 caches hidden in decon containers and they were such a maintenance nightmare that I eventually switched most of them out. I think I have two left in the wild and both are well protected from the elements.

Does this apply to the new and improved decon containers that the Groundspeak shop carries? It says "softer lid" but I'm not sure if it still requires the "press all 4 corners in sequence to seal" procedure.

<_< Depending where you are located and the type of terrain, I have a suggestion.

Take your container of choice, grab some clear Aquarium Sealant and spread it all over it except the area which hold it closed.

:laughing: Here comes the fun part, place on ground and cover with dirt, small rocks, branches/leaves to match where you will place it. Rub it real good! Let it dry for several days.

:blink: DRY??

Shake off the loose stuff and Wham, Blam, thank you Mam! You now hold in your hands a container that blends in with the surrounding area. B)

Enjoy your new creation..... Evil it is, just plain Evil.

Take your container of choice, grab some clear Aquarium Sealant and spread it all over it except the area which hold it closed.

:laughing: Here comes the fun part, place on ground and cover with dirt, small rocks, branches/leaves to match where you will place it. Rub it real good! Let it dry for several days.

Cool! I have a couple of different kinds of construction adhesive and some sealant. I've been thinking of coating a 5-gallon bucket with adhesive, then covering that with a layer of fake pine straw. I may try some natural materials, too.

<_< Depending where you are located and the type of terrain, I have a suggestion.

:blink: DRY??

Shake off the loose stuff and Wham, Blam, thank you Mam! You now hold in your hands a container that blends in with the surrounding area. B)

Enjoy your new creation..... Evil it is, just plain Evil.

now that is just plain old school thinking right there and I love it!!! the aquarium sealant picks up dirt, leaves, or what ever is in the area you plan to put it. I would call you creation a geo-ghilli!!! it would blend in perfectly to it's surroundings and much harder to find. think i'll do one tomorrow. thank you for the great idea.

They sell these at walmart that have worked well for me.

00302.jpg

These work very well! They are hard lexan plastic and are very resistant to critter chewing or cracking. Nice rubber gasket and metal hinge and locking tab pins.

About $7 at the store if memory serves me (it doesn't always). They have a flatter one for protecting smartphones that's $1 less - useful if you need a flatter box. The latches are kind of stiff.

Does this apply to the new and improved decon containers that the Groundspeak shop carries? It says "softer lid" but I'm not sure if it still requires the "press all 4 corners in sequence to seal" procedure.

I have no experience with them, but I don't believe they are the same as the military surplus decons that so many people use, so they may be fine.

Another container that I like to use in wet areas and flood zones are plastic water bottles. I've had some submerged for days at a time and come out dry as a bone. Just make sure you don't stuff a full sized logbook inside that makes it almost impossible to remove. Cut down the logbook so it fits easily inside the bottle See here

94a97a09-c31a-4fee-9112-c23b8681c6ac.jpg

Edited by briansnat

The worst thing with any container is if any of the contents get caught in the seal as you close it. If we are caching in the rain, we sneak the logbook out and put the lid back on the container to keep it as dry as possible. We shield the log as best we can while signing also and on replacing try to ensure that nothing is caught in the seal.

We use Lock'n'Locks by StarFrit mostly, but do have some other containers we are trying to place and thinking of evil ways to do so.....

1401558066[/url]' post='5386567']
1400799368[/url]' post='5383807']
1400769556[/url]' post='5383654']I've found decon containers to be terrible containers. At one time I had close to 50 caches hidden in decon containers and they were such a maintenance nightmare that I eventually switched most of them out. I think I have two left in the wild and both are well protected from the elements.

I have no experience with them, but I don't believe they are the same as the military surplus decons that so many people use, so they may be fine.

Another container that I like to use in wet areas and flood zones are plastic water bottles. I've had some submerged for days at a time and come out dry as a bone. Just make sure you don't stuff a full sized logbook inside that makes it almost impossible to remove. Cut down the logbook so it fits easily inside the bottle See here

94a97a09-c31a-4fee-9112-c23b8681c6ac.jpg

Note the wide neck on these. Nice. Should be able to fit a wide variety of items including trackables.

If you want a great medium sized container I have used the large sized peanut butter containers... I cover them in camo duct tape and they work very well, hide nicely, and stay dry! I have one cache made of one if these that has been active for 4 -5 years! It may sound kinda lame, but it hides extremely well with the camo tape and is a great size to blend with plant life well- and there is plenty of room for decent treasures!

the vans I ride in at work(pti taxi's)often have coffee mugs from stores people leave in them. I have been bringing them home. I can silicone the lip down on them and they are water tight and have room for small/medium sized trackables. to be totally honest the micro caches have started to bore me badly. I want to make caches that I can start out with several choices of trade items. I know from my first one the first to find took my signature piece and left not the first damned thing for anybody else. the second to find it took my travel bug and moved it. it has moved over 600 miles with only two people handling it!!!! the third person left something in it with nothing to take!!!!!!!!! I truly figured there would be more honor among geo cachers, but sadly there is not. I have some really cool signature pieces and some other even cooler trade pieces, but if there is nothing but trash in a cache I won't be doing anything but signing the logs.

A lot of geocachers don't bother to trade any swag. I don't bring anything with me to trade and, with the exception of trackables needing to stay on the move, I don't take anything from the cache. I think swag adds to the game, but I think most of us have come to not expect much in terms of trade items.

As for containers, creativity is the key! Waterproof medication containers are popular (I have a unique cache in WV where there's a watertight medicine container inside a piece of sporting equipment I bought at Dick's and people need to figure out how to retrieve the log). Though some people make custom micros out of the tops of soda bottles.

If you're thinking more a lock n lock (small-regular size cache), the Lock N Lock brand ones are the best but most with a rubber gasket will do well, though the Sterlite ones from Walmart seem to not do as well as the original.