hello. i'm new.

gonzogunner

I don't see anything wrong with spent brass. I have seen several over the years. So the OP has now discovered that there are many opinions about issues in the forum.

It is a bit presumptuous to think that a forum reader would

a. find a cache he has found

b. the spent brass would still be there

c. they would care either way.

Now putting Kentucky Bourbon would be inappropriate but if I came next I would grab that (Bookers being my favorite)

I don't see anything wrong with spent brass. I have seen several over the years. So the OP has now discovered that there are many opinions about issues in the forum.

It is a bit presumptuous to think that a forum reader would

a. find a cache he has found

b. the spent brass would still be there

c. they would care either way.

Now putting Kentucky Bourbon would be inappropriate but if I came next I would grab that (Bookers being my favorite)

To me spent brass is trash, now if they bother to do something interesting, say add their caching name to it that wouldn't be as odd.

ok. since we have some people who offend easy I will use something else. pretty much anything left is trash or useless. I have found candy wrappers in several today. a pop lid as well. I figured once fired brass would be ok since I ave seen other stuff I think was junk in them.

Edited by gonzogunner

ok. since we have some people who offend easy I will use something else. pretty much anything left is trash or useless. I have found candy wrappers in several today. a pop lid as well. I figured once fired brass would be ok since I ave seen other stuff I think was junk in them.

I routinely remove junk that you described from caches. I'd likely remove spent brass as well. Not that I'm "offended" by it. Trust me, I'm quite difficult to offend. It's just that garbage does not belong in a cache. If you find things like that (garbage, trash, etc), you're free to remove and dispose of them without trading for them.

I routinely remove junk that you described from caches. I'd likely remove spent brass as well. Not that I'm "offended" by it. Trust me, I'm quite difficult to offend. It's just that garbage does not belong in a cache. If you find things like that (garbage, trash, etc), you're free to remove and dispose of them without trading for them.

I'm certainly not offended by spent brass, just it is trash not swag. Do something neat with it, make it a signature item with your caching name inscribed on it and then leave it. But just plain spent brass is trash.

Feel free to remove the candy, even in the wrappers.

I'm no more "offended" by spent brass than I am "offended" by candy wrappers. I find the comparison particularly apt, as both are the useless remains of something that once did have some value. I agree that if you can find some way of turning the brass into a unique signature item that it would then become something worth leaving and even collectible.

Not offended-just stating my opinion. So in the 9 caches you've found, there was junk in all 9? So because you saw trash in 9 caches that means there must be trash in all 2.3 million? And because you saw junk you think it's better to leave more junk? If you think there are too many murders, would you then start murdering people? I know it's an extreme example, but sometimes that's what it takes.

The proper thing to do would be to remove the trash-and maybe even provide quality SWAG. Set an example. And I'll add that there are people who stumble upon a cache, or find the app and leave that stuff because they think it's funny-it's not all actual dedicated cachers.

Honesty if you can make something from them-put TB's on them, engrave your geoname and use it for a signature item, or maybe even make them into a necklace, or a pen, or keychain bottle opener that would be cool. Drill a hole in the open end and put a keyring, and then use a dremel to cut a notch in the bottom end(where the primer is) Maybe put it in a bag with a card with your geoname in it-that I would love to find. Something cool, and hand made.

Edited by T.D.M.22

I have about a 50 mile road trip this morning to pick up another ar-15. I found a old bag of marbles. i'll use them to put in the cahces I find along the way.

You're putting more than one marble in right? The other thing with SWAG is to trade up or even-a Marble is like a half cent. It's like one Lego block. A bag of marbles-ya sure, that's fine. Honestly if you can't leave something that's not useless, junk, or just lame-like a single marble-then don't leave anything. You really don't have to leave anything, as long as you don't take anything.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Way to discourage this cacher people!! One mans junk is another mans treasure! I had no idea what spent brass was but I googled it. What's the issue you all have with it? I've seen far worse things in a cache. I see no issue with this. I see no need to discourage this newbie cacher by criticizing everything they are saying. I say if you want to put in spent brass then do it! If you want to put in marbles then do it!

i'm new and found 5 today. I want everybody to know I will be putting pieces of once fired brass in the cahches I find that will hold it. I don't want people freaking out and thinking anybody is hunting them or something crazy.

I'm a re-loader so it works for me.

I prefer .357 or .44 Mag.

Way to discourage this cacher people!! One mans junk is another mans treasure! I had no idea what spent brass was but I googled it. What's the issue you all have with it? I've seen far worse things in a cache. I see no issue with this. I see no need to discourage this newbie cacher by criticizing everything they are saying. I say if you want to put in spent brass then do it! If you want to put in marbles then do it!

Does that mean I can put a empty marker in every cache I find? I'm assuming you're talking about me when you say the stuff about discouraging newbs. Yes-I'm discouraging something that IMO shouldn't be done. I also provided other options. Encouraged the OP to leave something someone might like-It seems the OP likes his guns, and therefore has an abundance of spent brass-Look at my other post about what to do to make it cool. Honestly I would love to find a handmade item like that. Aside from being usefull-it's handmade, not just picked up off the ground, or even store bought.

Yeah, that's about as useful as the broken master-link to a motorcycle chain that I pulled from a cache the other day, or the burned and broken dirt-bike spark plug. At least I put them where they belong.... in the trash.

I don't find a spent cartridge distasteful... but it is just as bad as something else utterly useless. To trade anything for it is trading down... not necessarily bad in that concept.

Now, a loaded cartridge (though against the guidelines), has value.

A dewat 50-caliber would be nice -- go ahead, Google that one. Not "shootable", but a nice collector item for some -- many folks would love such an item. It too, may run afoul of the guidelines in that most would perceive it to be a live cartridge.

It's all what you put into the game. If you wanna give junk, then take only junk.

If we cannot help others... even if it is in a "tough love" manner... then just what is that we can do? Ignore the nonsense? R-i-g-h-t, you betcha!

A cartridge shell can sometimes be interesting.

I can't understand how people can love geocaching and leave trash in caches. Candy wrappers, random pieces of plastic, outdated gift cards, empty lollipop sticks...these convey contempt and disrespect for the geocache. I try to clean up caches whenever I can and remove these items.

I actually find most "swag" to be pretty trashy, so at this point I only plant micros, to discourage the geojunk habit.

A cartridge shell can sometimes be interesting.

I can't understand how people can love geocaching and leave trash in caches. Candy wrappers, random pieces of plastic, outdated gift cards, empty lollipop sticks...these convey contempt and disrespect for the geocache. I try to clean up caches whenever I can and remove these items.

I actually find most "swag" to be pretty trashy, so at this point I only plant micros, to discourage the geojunk habit.

Well... might as well leave the lollipop stick... can't (shouldn't, really) leave the candy!

Thanks for educating me on why the proliferation of micros is so widespread. I never did grasp why... until now. :)

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

found one night before last that had been taken over by ants because of a pop bottle top that somebody had left in it. what I did Friday morning was I stopped and had 6 dog tag shaped name tags made. they are silver and have gonzogunner moreland Kentucky engaved into them. I left one in a cache on my 50 mile journey. I plan to set one out where I can see if from my home so I can keep a check on it. I will put one of my tags in it for the first person who finds it. I also paid and joined the site today. would the dog tag with my name and county and state be offending anybody? I was told most people are a little soft on here.

found one night before last that had been taken over by ants because of a pop bottle top that somebody had left in it. what I did Friday morning was I stopped and had 6 dog tag shaped name tags made. they are silver and have gonzogunner moreland Kentucky engaved into them. I left one in a cache on my 50 mile journey. I plan to set one out where I can see if from my home so I can keep a check on it. I will put one of my tags in it for the first person who finds it. I also paid and joined the site today. would the dog tag with my name and county and state be offending anybody? I was told most people are a little soft on here.

Such is referred to as a Signature Item. Sig items are sought and collected by many geocachers.

Excellent idea.

Think about die stamping the tags, rather than engraving. Looks nicer and more professional.

You could set the dies in a permanent-type of arrangement and do it all with one whack.

:)

ok. how about I up the anty a little bit. when I set my first one out I will put a special dog tag in it. it will have

gonzogunner

moreland, Kentucky

f.t.f.

that way the first to find it can have that special treat. I will also leave one from campdogg in it as well. so it will be a special two for one for the first to find it.

Edited by gonzogunner

Ya that would be cool. Although I think you inserted the link to the webpage containing the picture, rather then the picture itself. Next time right lick on the picture and select view image, then use that URL...

Just came across this topic. I'm a little offended that people do not like my candy wrappers! Good hard work went into those Jolly Ranchers! Guess I'll go back to leaving my empty toner cartridges :rolleyes: It's a game, have fun. Don't take what you don't like

Where do you live? I'll just go and dump my garbage in your yard. If you don't like it don't take it inside...

I had to look up spent brass and I don't see it as trash, but I'm a pretty crafty person and I would probably make something out of it.

I also found a cache the other day that had marbles. I got super excited and I fry them and make jewelry from them. Again, I'm a crafty person.

I'm guessing my little mickey mouse trade for the marble wasn't appropriate...oh well.

I geocache and reload my ammo. So finding used brass is something useful to me.

One mans trash is anothern mans treasure

exactly. as a reloader and gunsmith I knew a first fired piece of lake city brass was worth while. to many softies said it was trash. I now save them for myself to reload and give out marbles for normal caches and signature pieces for those really nice special caches. it would be a lot easier if there wasn't so many yellow bellied softies in this world.