Geocaching Speed Dating event?

I think you'll run into the same issue that other activity-oriented events run into. The purpose of an event is to serve as a gathering of geocachers. If geocachers show up for the event, but don't participate in the activity, then they're free to post an attended log.

Yea, I was worried about what you guys spoke of. It not being a full geocaching based idea and how to handle the ones that show up that are not there for a main event. What if it was spun to couples and singles? Would that draw a better gathering?

Ben

Sorry for the dumb question, but why would you invite couples to a speed-dating event?

Yea, I was worried about what you guys spoke of. It not being a full geocaching based idea and how to handle the ones that show up that are not there for a main event. What if it was spun to couples and singles? Would that draw a better gathering?

Ben

Sorry for the dumb question, but why would you invite couples to a speed-dating event?

Its a change in concept more like a date night. *shrugs* This was just a thought, I am trying to help him establish a good event, and I thought the speed dating thing probably would not work. Seeing if anyone could give me any input as to how to maybe run it. If it does not work, then that is the way it is.

I've been to several conferences that used the speed dating concept as a way to meet other attendees. The point wasn't to meet other attendees so that you might go out on a traditional date, but just to meet a few people that were attending, learn what they were doing, why they were attending the conference, etc. It was fun and as a nice ice breaker for those that had not attended that conference before but at the last one I already know most of the people I ended up talking to. A geocaching "speed dating" activity might suffer the same issues. It would be nice for a new geocacher to meet other cachers, but many geocachers at events probably already know each other.

I've been to several conferences that used the speed dating concept as a way to meet other attendees. The point wasn't to meet other attendees so that you might go out on a traditional date, but just to meet a few people that were attending, learn what they were doing, why they were attending the conference, etc. It was fun and as a nice ice breaker for those that had not attended that conference before but at the last one I already know most of the people I ended up talking to. A geocaching "speed dating" activity might suffer the same issues. It would be nice for a new geocacher to meet other cachers, but many geocachers at events probably already know each other.

Yeah this sounds much better. The speed dating thing, combined with geocaching, seemed a little strange to me, possibly even a little seedy, but creating some kind of meet n greet game based on this concept might work and could be fun.

Perhaps if each attendee had some info or item that another attendee is looking for? We've done geocacher bingo (which is quite common at events), a kind of local/caching themed "cluedo" (or "clue" for the americans), geo poker where people have some playing cards and have to swap them with other cachers to try and make the best poker hand, a kind of "collect the set" game where different cachers had different stickers based on different cache types... Any of these could be incorporated into a speed-meet-n-greet type of activity... Good luck!

Edited by funkymunkyzone

I know for a fact that goecaching itself is intended for family use and that adult themed stuff is generally frowned upon. But my friend had an idea for a geocaching speed dating event. Id like to get some input on this, if anyone thinks it would be good or not.

Ben

Where did you get the idea that adult themed things are frowned upon? They certainly are not. A popular event here is the Dive Bar series.

Edited by briansnat

I know for a fact that goecaching itself is intended for family use and that adult themed stuff is generally frowned upon. But my friend had an idea for a geocaching speed dating event. Id like to get some input on this, if anyone thinks it would be good or not.

Ben

Where did you get the idea that adult themed things are frowned upon? They certainly are not. A popular event here is the Dive Bar series.

Oh, I read a whole discussion forum on adult themed caches. I assumed that this may be boarder lined on that. And that there might be a commotion about it. Anyway, I hear what you guys are saying. And it really sounds great. I am going to talk to my friend about it, and see if that would help him out. He really needs to get out more. :-p

Interesting. Was there a name for this ice-breaker at any of these conferences? As you can see from the other posts, this is an excellent idea for a Geocaching ice-breaker, such as Bingo. It's not as good of an event idea as my idea of bobbing for film canisters, but it's pretty good. :ph34r:

The "speed dating as a way to get to know other cachers" is an interesting idea.

Most people that go to events tend to sit and mingle with people they already know. For my next beer & wing night event I was thinking about having people pull a random table number from a hat, in hopes of people sitting with people that may not know very well.

Just a thought at this point.

Interesting. Was there a name for this ice-breaker at any of these conferences?

Dating Madness!

The first time was at a three day conference for an open source organization (JASIG, now called Apero) and was just called JASIG Speed Dating. I was on the planning committee for that conference. It worked really well as an ice breaker as first time attendees got to spend a few minutes talking to core developers. It was nice to watch the interaction as it developed and see everyone so engaged. It might sound kind of hokey but everyone really seemed to enjoy it.

The last time was at a consultation in Ethiopia with about 30 people from all over the world. The didn't really call it anything but just explained what everyone was supposed to do. That was the one where I had already most of the people that I had speed dated.

Ben

Oh, I read a whole discussion forum on adult themed caches. I assumed that this may be boarder lined on that. And that there might be a commotion about it. Anyway, I hear what you guys are saying. And it really sounds great. I am going to talk to my friend about it, and see if that would help him out. He really needs to get out more. :-p

I think the confusion is that "adult-themed" can have two meanings - one "wholesome," and one dealing with "vices."